z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Mixing Magic [Draft 2]: Chapter 8.2

by Mea


Ayda was flying back to History Oak past midnight, finally tired of all the singing and dancing and food. Fires dotted Crescent Moon. The largest one burned in the main courtyard, but dozens of smaller communities gathered around their own fires, scattered throughout the trees. She flew past one such group of about a dozen dryad children and a handful of centaurs, then paused in midair when she heard a voice she recognized.

It was Xaniphe, and he had just begun to tell the little ones a story. The centaur stood in front of the crackling fire, a blank silhouette with the ghost of movement as his hands shaped the illusions. Entranced, Ayda landed on a nearby bush and settled down to listen.

“When the world was new and the ley lines just forming,” Xaniphe began, “the Moon was dull and there were no stars. Every day, the Sun rose over the land, a distant king gazing down on his subjects. But even gods must rest, and every night he faded over the horizon, leaving a night blacker than tree-rot. But the dryads slumbered peacefully, for they knew the Moon watched over them as they slept.”

As he spoke, his hands formed images — a dark circle in the sky, the lightless moon. Sunset colors danced between his fingers and faded into a near-tangible darkness.

“But as the days grew shorter and the nights longer in the natural passing of the year, the trees the dryads loved spent more and more time without the light that gave them energy. Soon, only the strongest could be shaped with song. The weakest faded, leaves falling before their season and bark paling to a deathly white. The dryads tried to heal them, but in the young world their connection to the Well was shallow and they understood little of magic.”

A misty tree sprang to life and died before their eyes, wilting in the darkness while the outline of a dryad bowed its head.

“Something had to be done. The dryads argued for days in large councils, but came no closer to the answer. Until, on the fifth day, the oldest dryad, with wrinkled skin the color of a hawthorn branch, stood up to speak for the first time.

“‘The problem is simple,’ he said. ‘The trees will die without sunlight, and so we need to bring sunlight to the night. This is something far beyond our power. We must petition the gods; we cannot solve this alone.’

“There was much murmuring at his statement — one did not petition those forces of nature that caused the wind to blow or the tides to flow. ‘But who shall we ask?’ one dryad ventured.

“The oldest dryad thought a moment, and the lines around his face deepened. ‘We must ask the Moon.She is the only one powerful and clever enough to bring us the Sun’s light even when he rests. The Wind and the Rain cannot do it. Their jurisdiction is not over the heavens.’

“He led the prayers, begging the Moon for help. They prayed all day and into another empty night.”

They were there, a whole field of them kneeling in the night, Xaniphe’s illusions pushing Ayda’s imagination beyond vague shapes into a fully colored landscape where a league of dryads prayed.

“And the Moon heard,” Xaniphe continued. “She looked down on the dryads and the trees and wept to see their weakness, for she truly loved all living things. The sun’s rays never ceased to reach her. She had no need of light — could she give that light to them?

“So the Moon took the sunbeams that fell upon her and tried to bend them to her will using her own deep magic. At first, she was too harsh, and many of her sunbeams shattered into useless shards of light. But in time she learned how to cast them out over the shadowed land. The dryads rejoiced, singing praises to the Lady of the Night and holding feasts in her honor. The Moon wept again to see their happiness.

“But as the days passed, she found her strength waxed and waned, and there were some nights where no light shone at all. She knew that each time, the dryads spent the night in apprehension, waiting to see if she would return again, or if their light-giver would fail them and the trees would be left to weaken. The Moon yearned to tell them she would never abandon the trees. She needed something to give them some small light on those nights when even she could not give them the sun’s rays.

“The Moon wove many powerful magics, but none had the strength to reach the earth below. The goddess despaired, but then she remembered the sunbeams she had shattered in her inexperience. They shone with a faint but constant light, and when her gaze fell upon them, the answer came.

“She gathered up the pinpricks and cast them out across the sky, each one a tiny fragment of the sun. The dryads saw the sign and were comforted, saying to one another, ‘The Lady must rest even as the Sun does, but she gives us a candle in her absence.’

“Even now, the shards hang in the sky, unfailing, and that is how the dryads know our Lady will never leave us. Even when no light shines and she cannot be seen, the stars are a promise she will return and cause light to shine in the darkness, as she has always done.”

Xaniphe ended quietly but firmly, a miniature moon glowing between his hands. He was not a dryad, but it did not seem to matter to his telling. Even the young dryads were silent for a moment, still absorbed in the story.

Ayda looked up and met Xaniphe’s gaze. He had noticed her, sitting in the bush. They locked gazes for a moment, and Ayda couldn’t tell what the centaur was thinking.

The moon vanished, the spell broke, and the children clamored for another story. “I’m afraid not,” said Xaniphe. “It is late and the fire is dying, and I am certain your families will be looking for you. Off you go.”

Reluctantly, the children dispersed, urged along by the adults in the circle. Ayda made to fly away, but Xaniphe called after her and she turned back.

“Walk with me,” he invited. “Are you heading to bed soon?”

Ayda nodded. “Madeline already left.”

They turned onto a path that would lead back to the History Oak. Did Xaniphe sleep there? Ayda had no idea.

“I realized I never thanked you for your dedicated work over the last few weeks,” Xaniphe said. “Because of you, Madeline is going home.”

Ayda glanced down, a blush creeping across her cheeks that she was glad would be hidden in the dark. Why couldn’t she be more happy for her friend? “Somebody would have thought of it eventually.”

“Perhaps true. But as a fairy, your work has screened dozens of books that would have otherwise been painfully slow for us Big Folk to read. You have made a difference, Ayda.”

It sounded so final when he said it like that. “Are you going to get someone new now?”

“What do you mean?” Xaniphe looked up at her, bearded face wrinkled in confusion.

“With Madeline gone, you have no reason to let me stay,” Ayda said, numb. “I don’t know any secrets anymore. I thought — ”

“You thought wrong,” Xaniphe said firmly. “You’re not going anywhere, especially since you can’t go back to Nikka and you haven’t heard back from your family.”

His dark eyes twinkled merrily. “For one thing, Cinder would have my hide. He’s quite fond of you, you know. Truly, Ayda, we’d never leave you to fend for yourself just because we don’t need you to keep a secret anymore. Especially not after how you’ve helped us.”

Ayda grinned. When he put it like that, she realized how silly it had been to expect anything different. No, she couldn’t fly out there and find her family. She wouldn’t be free. But she would get to stay at the place she had grown to love.

She parted with Xaniphe and flew up to her room, not even bothering to change out of her clothes before collapsing on her bed and falling into a deep, peaceful sleep.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
74 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 74

Donate
Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:13 am
View Likes
deleted221222 wrote a review...



Hi, I'm Thundahguy, and I'm going to finish what I set out to do a long time ago.

I randomly disappeared around chapter 7.1, and haven't been seen since (not really, but you get the gist). This is not here to tell you I'm going back to review chapter by chapter. Instead, in order to sum it all up, I'm going to leave just two reviews: this one, and the other at the end. They won't be focused on the singular chapters, but rather the entire story. How about I begin.

So, halfway through. The midway point. The rising action. The part of Lord of the Rings where they meet the giant tree people. It's been a journey, to say the least. There have been highs. There have been lows. But most of all, there have been stagnating middle grounds. First, let me talk about the major problems with this story, up to this point.

This story is a high fantasy story. You've put in effort in order to build a mystical world filled with all kinds of creatures. However, it seems you've put in too much effort, as well. High fantasy stories require a steady amount of world-building, as they are foreign to the reader. If too little is explained, then the story begins to fold in on itself in confusion. Too much, and it creates an expectation that is never answered. In Mixing Magic, you've described 4 or so kingdoms: the current one the story is taking place in, the one filled with flying creatures, the shade world, and Earth. At this point, we've only been in one kingdom, and its unlikely for the story to shift to a different one at a whim. It sounds interesting, but we, as readers, will probably never experience it. Most readers, at this point, will realise that and may drop at this point because they won't be satisfied. Worldbuilding requires both active discoveries and passive explanations, and there's been a disconnect between your huge passive explanations and your small active discoveries. Lord of the Rings is a good example at Worldbuilding, as whenever there's a major place mentioned, they go there. Here, it seems we're too focused on the little things that we never see anything big.

All the focus on the little bits of worldbuilding does affect all its inhabitants as well. You've introduced several species, like Shades, Centaurs, Fairies, etc. You've done well with explaining fairies and centaurs. With those two species, you've properly explained how they fit into this fantasy world. However, this doesn't extend to the more conventional species. The idea that you can put a predefined race like dwarf or dryad, and expect readers to know what their whole motif is, is lazy. If you don't explain how they properly mesh with everything, then they just seem to have been added in randomly in order to fill a quota. The best example I can think of that doesn't do this is in the Divinity series's Elves. They aren't the regular tall beautiful people you'd normally think of when you hear "elf". They're much taller, skinnier, and more deformed than humans, and they actively practise cannibalism. It's a good example of how you put a species into a story without it seeming to just fill a quota.

On that note, I should probably mention shades. Shades are amongst those that aren't properly explained, but unlike the other species, they aren't properly defined. A shade archetype usually seems to be some kind of shadow demon, but you state them as furry creatures, which I assume to be like wolverines. It's the biggest example of how other species aren't shown as much.

Now, how about I talk about characters.

Ayda is one of the worse off characters. You've originally put her as the spunky fairy that wants to fulfil her dream. Over time, she's changed from that. Like, a complete 180. Now, at this current point, she's somewhat melodramatic and is more focused on sending Madeline home. I'm all for character progression, but in 8 chapters she's changed a bit too much without much rhyme or reason. Yes, her not being able to contact her family after Nikka had been attacked seems like a good reason for her change, but she acts like they're dead. Contrast that with Cinder, who for sure knows that his family had been taken away and is being forced against their wills, and even then acts less melodramatic than Ayda.

Now, there's Madeline. Your characterisation of her is alright, and she isn't as weak of a character as Ayda. The main problem, however, is that since this story is from Ayda's perspective, we never really see her. The two's friendship was exemplary in the earlier chapters, but it seems to have been pushed to the side once they reached Crescent Moon. She's a very basic character at the moment, not suffering Ayda's faults, but neither growing much either. If you can, try to show her more if you write another draft.

Many other characters, I can't say anything about. Cinder is still the best in terms of characterisation, and there isn't much you can do to improve him without hurting an aspect of his character. Xaniphe, the dryads, the other researchers, they aren't really focused on at all. So far, it all seems to be a picturesque society, and those two words never go together.

So, that's all my complaints. This isn't as in-depth as the final review is going to be, but hopefully, it highlights the glaring things you need to fix. As for my rating, I'm going to give it a 4.5/10, aka a 'There's no specific reason why I'm still reading this, I just want to see where this is headed.' I'll see you at the final chapter.




Mea says...


Thank you very much for your honest feedback - I've really appreciated it this whole time. I've been thinking a lot about what you said in this review, but I'll wait until you've finished the whole story to elaborate further, except for one thing:

Ayda's change is quite deliberate, and I didn't intend for it to be a 180-degree turn - not yet, at least. She's not done with her character arc - she still has a lot of growing to do. I envisioned her change up until now not as a 180 but as a realignment of her priorities. She always did care about her family, but she was basically being selfish and now she's starting to realize that. How can I make this feel less like a 180-degree turn? (Note that I'd prefer not to add too many words - this is already a bit long for middle grade fiction.)

Anyway, thanks again, and I'm really looking forward to seeing your thoughts at the end of it all.





There're two main problems with how you wanted Ayda to develop and how she really did.
The first is that Ayda is more disconnected to her family at the start of Mixing Magic. Kind of like a modern teenager. The second is how there's a lack of reflection and regret later on in the series.
If Ayda was more connected with her family at the start, or there was a real moment of reflection or regret later on, then the melodrama would be more tolerable.



User avatar
373 Reviews


Points: 46306
Reviews: 373

Donate
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:27 pm
View Likes
PrincessInk wrote a review...



Hello!

So I really like this myth because it just connects each point and explains everything well. Like the sunbeams that became stars. I think it's a great idea to explain this when obviously there isn't any scientific explanation in this world. And Xaniphe's pictures must enthrall whoever he's telling the story to--he's a storyteller.

A little comment I have is that I wish I could have seen a tad more description in the surroundings of their walk. I'm sure it must look quite lovely at night. And it could also be a place where the characters' body language interacts with the setting, instead of just facial expression. And it can also show how far they've gone while walking. For example, when Ayda got startled by what Xaniphe said, she might just stumble back against a tree.

And perhaps if they saw the moon in the sky, it might be a nice continuation of the myth, as if the Lady is still watching over them now.

The penultimate paragraph does contain a lovely amount of emotions--a mixture of optimism and hope. I do like this a lot, and I agree with Dragon that Ayda's character arc is shaping up nicely as well. She isn't thinking too much about HERSELF--I think she's growing to appreciate her situation.

I'll see you in chapter 9.1!




User avatar
49 Reviews


Points: 2507
Reviews: 49

Donate
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:08 am
View Likes
DragonWriter22 wrote a review...



Hey Mea!

I like this tiny continuation before the festival officially ends. The characters really need all the relaxation they can get.

I've given you my thoughts on the myth before, and I still think it's brilliant. It's been a while since I read it. Did you change anything about it? I can't remember exactly, but it feels like something's different, though I can't put my finger on it. That may just be me remembering wrong, or the fact that it's inter-spaced with actions instead of the entire myth as it was last time you posted it. This isn't a critique, I'm just wondering since I can't remember.

It's really cool to see more centaur magic at work. Xaniphe sounds like quite the storyteller and I'm happy to see more of his work.

The myth is interesting and brings up some questions of what sort of religion exists in the kingdoms. The Lady Moon is an important figure to be sure, especially to the dryads, though it's harder to tell how all the other magical creatures view her, if they believe the same or not. I know that these details aren't important to the story as a whole, but the questions are still interesting and it helps your world feel more real to have slight mentions of this sort of thing. Good world-building details here. The manner of a story was also a really good way to tell it, especially with the magic element since it keeps the reader's interest and doesn't feel like you're dumping details on them.

I think one of the most important parts of this passage is the contribution to Ayda's story arc. The line,

She wouldn’t be free.


I feel is incredibly important. In the previous passages we saw how she was learning that what she wanted isn't necessarily all it was cracked up to be. Here she learns that she still has friends she can rely on and the above line shows that she still has more to learn. She was very nearly at an important breakthrough with "How strange to find that once she finally had nothing holding her back, she didn’t want to leave", but she hasn't quite come all the way through the learning process yet (which is good since it's still early in the story). There's an interesting connection between "having nothing to physically hold you back" and "freedom" here in Ayda's mind. That is freedom in a way, but it's not the first thing that would pop into my head were I in her situation. For me it would almost be too much freedom to the point that I wouldn't feel free since I wouldn't know what to do with myself.

I don't know if this review was very helpful, but your passage got me to think a lot. I look forward to the next part!




Mea says...


I did a line-by-line edit on the story, trimming and tightening things - that's probably what you're noticing.

I'm really glad Ayda's character arc is working for you. :D



User avatar
472 Reviews


Points: 25
Reviews: 472

Donate
Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:46 pm
Lightsong says...



Aww, I know this story! It's about your short story about the Moon, eh? Love it. <3 I'll try reviewing one of your chapters these days.




Mea says...


Yup, this is where it goes!




I have to ask. Does every question or statement regarding the quote generator end up in the quote generator?
— WeepingWisteria