z

Young Writers Society



Tying the Knot

by McDanny


Today is the day I tie the knot
and as I do, I remember what
my life was like, what was my lot
before the day I tied the knot.

I remember what I had forgot
a thousand memories on the trot
and what has been, and what has not
before the day I tied the knot.

Pain and sorrow was all I got
but I've the chance to change that lot
now I can leave the world to rot
as around my neck, I tie the knot.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 890
Reviews: 4

Donate
Sat May 24, 2008 3:43 pm
DC622 says...



Wow, this is amazing. At first I thought it was going to be like marrige but when I got towards the end I got it. This is a very powerful poem. great job.




User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 16

Donate
Sat May 24, 2008 12:33 pm
McDanny says...



Ok, first of all I'd like to thank all you guys for reviewing. Just a few responses;

To be grammaratically correct, this would have read

I remember what I had forgotten


I know, I know, but I'm sure we can grant some artistic license here :P

Also, a clarification; this poem is NOT about marriage. The reader is supposed to think this until the last couple of lines. Most of you worked this out, but a few seemed confused- hopefully this clears it up :)




User avatar
30 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 30

Donate
Sat May 24, 2008 3:03 am
Anonamuse wrote a review...



All I can say is wow. Like almost everyone else said, and I agree with them, the first thing that I thought about was marriage, but holy cow I was wrong. I didn't notie anything really wrong with your poem, just a little forced, but over all, it was awesome. Keep on writing.




User avatar
140 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 140

Donate
Fri May 23, 2008 2:08 pm
Sapphire wrote a review...



Eek, I got such a shock with that last line! Loved how the last line turned it all around.

I didn't think the rhymes were too forced except perhaps 'I remember what I had forgot/A thousand memories on the trot'. (Should there perhaps be a comma at the end of that first line?) This is because, as BigBadBear already said, it would be 'forgotten' technically. I thought the same sound throughout worked well.

The poem is short but I think one of its best points is how concise it is. Beginning, middle, end - I remember, this is what I remember, this is what I'm going to do.

The structure of 'And what has been, and what has not' was brilliant, as was the rhythm and matter-of-fact tone.




User avatar
43 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 43

Donate
Thu May 22, 2008 12:46 am
SIC says...



Its okay for a start. A bit on the short side, but overall good. You should definetly work on length. I didn't see any spelling errors.




User avatar
137 Reviews


Points: 3214
Reviews: 137

Donate
Thu May 22, 2008 12:40 am
Bittersweet wrote a review...



I totally agree with Alexis*the*person. I thought you were talking about marriage. I was confused until the very last line. But I feel it really doesn't go deep. I don't feel the same sorrow as you. I don't feel like I could connect to this poem because it's vague and slightly apathetic. It's pretty good considering it's your very first poem. I think if you (oh, this will sound so very cheesy...) search inside yourself for these deep feelings and keep writing, you will become quite good.

-Holly :)




User avatar
86 Reviews


Points: 1207
Reviews: 86

Donate
Wed May 21, 2008 11:57 pm
dommy65 wrote a review...



I really liked this poem it gave me chills. I loved how when you read the first line you believe it's about marriage then the last line just blows you away. Wow. It was amazing, and the fact that it was your first attempt at poetry just makes me love it even more.

Keep writing poetry, man!
-Domenique




User avatar
270 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 270

Donate
Wed May 21, 2008 10:56 pm
blacktiger3915 wrote a review...



First, welcome to the young writers society! :smt041

:backtotopic: So y'all telling me that this poem didn't have anything to do with getting married? I hope it did or I'm gonna feel like an idiot.
I thought the last line was brilliant! I thought it co-in-signed with getting married or "tying the knot". I don't know, but I still liked the poem!




User avatar
84 Reviews


Points: 3165
Reviews: 84

Donate
Wed May 21, 2008 3:28 pm
Knurla wrote a review...



Well... As the others stated, the rhyming felt a little forced. While I was reading this poem, I thought by "tying the knot" you was speaking of marriage, but after that last line....wow!

That effect was amazing! Totally threw me off, but in a good way. Great job!




User avatar
344 Reviews


Points: 1075
Reviews: 344

Donate
Wed May 21, 2008 2:57 pm
Eimear wrote a review...



I'm with BBB. I got a flutter when I read the last line. Just a few things I noticed just while I was reading...the rhyming throughout is forced and gives a kind of 'nursery rhyme' ring to it which I'm sure you don't want when dealing with such a serious topic. Also, you do not need a capital letter for each new line, except after full stops. Other than that I liked it. Well done. And welcome to YWS. I hope you settle in well.

Hope and Best wishes,

Eimear xx




User avatar
103 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 103

Donate
Wed May 21, 2008 2:26 pm
thething912 says...



I liked this also. I don't really have much other than that to say sorry.

Oh, bbb you spell wow funny. lol




User avatar
713 Reviews


Points: 7740
Reviews: 713

Donate
Wed May 21, 2008 1:04 pm
BigBadBear wrote a review...



*gasp*

Whoa, dude. I just got this... this tingle up my neck as I read that last line! Dude, that was awesome!

The ryhming was rather... forced. This poem rhymed, but it sometimes wasn't natural. It all made sense though. Except for:

I remember what I had forgot


To be grammaratically correct, this would have read

I remember what I had forgotten

So, I would try and find a new rhyme or something or make up a different line for this.

Really awesome! Especially the end. It was cool.

-Jared





Ghosts, demons, and ghouls cannot scare the cat's underling.
— TheMulticoloredCyr