z

Young Writers Society


12+

The Only Way Out

by Mardehoward


It's happening again... That thing. It always happens on the nights. It's cold and windy and I can barely see anything other than a little clarity at the open end of this tunnel.

I walk a few steps to the nearest end of it, but I already know what will happen in a while. This tunnel... It expands. The more you walk the more it expands, taking either side of it will eventually lead nowhere because there's no real end. It's eternal, but night is not eternal. Night will end, and as soon as it does I'm back to that dreadful room. 

I go a few steps further. It's no use if I keep walking. But it is also a waste of energy if I run. I've already tried this. Two years in a row, every night. No way out. I close my eyes –though it's already dark enough– and inhale deeply. Some nights I was so frustrated that I punched at the walls of the tunnel by my sides –like I did last night. My hands hurt, and I can somehow smell some of the blood that my hands left on the hard and rocky surface of the wall. Once, I thought there could be a door on the path along the tunnel, so I walked ahead with my fingers tracing the wall. Useless. I repeated that process three times in each wall on both directions on different nights. Maybe if I think more straightly, tonight might be my night. 

I exhale roughly and a lump starts to form on my throat. I didn't want to go back. I never wanted to go back. But... Did this really ever have an end? I remember that insane-looking man, that night, two years ago. He had told me that there was a way out. He assured me that someone had once found it. But that was long ago. A sob escapes my mouth and I feel like punching the wall again. There has to be a way out. I remember that night he had said, "Are you sure? This trade... It's not worth it." I can't quite remember what I said next, but it’s obvious I agreed to the trade. It was either me or my mom. Now if I want to escape that trade I must find a way... A way... A way... Out. 

The tears come instantly and once more I scream at the top of my lungs and lunch my body against the walls. I punch them, kick them. I fall to my knees before one of them. I cry and cry and it feels like a few seconds but when I turn abruptly to see the "end" of the tunnel I see more clarity and almost appreciate the walls surrounding me. I stand up and with the back of my hand wipe the tears off my face. They blur my view as I start to make my way running towards the clarity. It extends. I run with all my strength as fast as I can. It's useless. 

The light gets stronger and I open my eyes. The dreadful room... Another dreadful man looking at me with a crooked smile and wide black eyes. I wince at the sight of his mouth opening. "Good morning, pet."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1417 Reviews


Points: 3733
Reviews: 1417

Donate
Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:24 pm
View Likes
Noelle wrote a review...



Hi there!

Creeeepy...

I have to say I really enjoyed reading this. The story gripped me right away and I couldn't pull myself back out again. I was there with the narrator as they wandered through this tunnel. I felt their frustration. I was inside their head. This is a great story.

While most people would tell you that you should've given the narrator a name and gender and/or something to identify them with, I'm going to say that I'm glad you didn't. It really adds to the mystery of the story. Not only that, but it fores us to feel compassion towards the narrator. The narrator is all we know; the only outcome possible for us is that they make it out of the tunnel, because that's what the narrator wants. Once there's a name and a face we'll be more inclined to judge. Maybe we'd even end up rooting against them. Then the entire piece would be lost on us.

The tone of this piece is very serious. You did a good job keeping that fear and mystery prevalent throughout There wasn't a moment where this story slipped into something even a bit more light. It's heavy and dark and just wonderful.

Just wanted to mention that it seems like this review will be me isolating almost every paragraph to talk about. Sorry not sorry :3

I want to talk about the second character here for a second; the man who told the narrator about the tunnel. I apologize in advance for taking out such a huge chunk, but I want to underline some things in this paragraph:

I exhale roughly and a lump starts to form on my throat. I didn't want to go back. I never wanted to go back. But... Did this really ever have an end? I remember that insane-looking man, that night, two years ago. He had told me that there was a way out. He assured me that someone had once found it. But that was long ago. A sob escapes my mouth and I feel like punching the wall again. There has to be a way out. I remember that night he had said, "Are you sure? This trade... It's not worth it." I can't quite remember what I said next, but it’s obvious I agreed to the trade. It was either me or my mom. Now if I want to escape that trade I must find a way... A way... A way... Out.

Red: So wait, this man told her how to escape on the first day she was there? That seems a bit odd. And to think that she remembered how long ago it was. I'm imagining her being somewhere not very comfortable (especially if she's trying to escape like this) with barely any knowledge of what the day, or anything like that, is. Of course, I could be completely wrong. That's the beauty of stories like this. Anyway, I'd find it more realistic if the man told her after a while, maybe once he started seeing her not liking it. Those kind of details aren't going to make it into your story because they're not important to the story you're telling, but it's good to have that backstory for yourself. The sentence could end up reading something like this: "I remember that insane looking man who told me there was a way out, that someone had escaped once. I haven't seen the man since then. I'm not sure what convinced me to believe him, but his words have stuck with me ever since." That's how I would write it, but of course you would write something like that completely different. I just wanted to give an example. See how that doesn't have any time tags? There's nothing attached to it, which forces the reader to infer. It's always good to make them think. Not to mention it's another mystery, if you will, because who the heck is this man anyway? And why does he look insane? We will never know :3

Green: I don't really understand the "Are you sure" question. I feel like there's a definite something missing. The narrator mentions that this man told her of a way out. Never did they mention that they had a conversation with the man or considered staying wherever they are. So the question at the beginning of this dialogue just leads to more questions, ones that will never be answered/really aren't important in the grand scheme of the story.

Blue: This is probably more nitpicky than anything. When I imagine a sob, it's out of extreme sadness or someone realizing that all is lost. Punching the walls would be out of frustration or complete anger. Those two images don't really go well together. I'd say choose one or the other. Is the narrator frustrated or ready to give up?

I walk a few steps to the nearest end of it, but I already know what will happen in a while. This tunnel... It expands. The more you walk the more it expands, taking either side of it will eventually lead nowhere because there's no real end. It's eternal, but night is not eternal. Night will end, and as soon as it does I'm back to that dreadful room.

Sorry to pull out another chunk, but I want to focus on this paragraph. So this tunnel is something mysterious, yes? We don't know what it is or why it's there and the narrator only knows that this is the way to escape. There's too much information in this paragraph, taking away from the mystery and the tone. Short stories like this are all about being simple and ambiguous. This paragraph could easily be reduced to just a few sentences. Take the second and third sentence; they basically say the same thing: the tunnel expands. That information can be given to us in just one sentence. And it doesn't really need to be expanded upon. If the tunnel expands, then it expands. If the tunnel expands only as someone walks farther, then that's what we need to know; it expands as you walk.

Now look at the fourth and fifth sentences. I really like this image and the metaphor/comparison to night. (I can't tell if it would be considered an actual metaphor or not. I'm so good at this reviewing thing... xD) You've taken one image -- the tunnel -- that is eternal and another image -- night -- that will come to an end and you put them together. This tunnel may never end, but the night will and it's imperative that the narrator escapes before night ends or else it's back to that room. However, the comparison could be much more powerful.
It's eternal, but night is not eternal. Night will end, and as soon as it does I'm back to that dreadful room.

Another way to word this could be: "Quite unlike the night, this tunnel will never end. When the darkness lifts and night ends, I'm back to that dreadful room." Again, there are a lot of words in this sentence which distract us from the full effect of your words.

So the narrator has been making their way down this tunnel for 730 days straight. Wouldn't they be less affected by it, in a way? They know that there's probably not even a way out. They haven't even reached a possible way out. They know that the walls will expand. What else is there to be afraid of and frustrated by? Like I said, I absolutely love your concept and the story. After reading it through a few times however, I feel like you chose the wrong part of the narrator's life to be telling it. Why not the first time they made it down the tunnel? Or a week after? They'd be more desperate and terrified at that point rather than two years later. It just seems to me they might be a bit desensitized to the whole thing.

Another dreadful man looking at me with a crooked smile and wide black eyes.

Another dreadful man? We haven't even seen one before this ;)

Lovely cliffhanger. I approve 1000%

This story is really powerful. I like how you focused just on the tunnel and that moment in time. There is a lot more to this story, but it's not important. The only important thing is the tunnel. I want to know where the narrator is, who they are, who this man is at the end, why the narrator is trapped, etc etc, but I don't need to know that. Everything you've told me is exactly what I need to know. Especially for this being a shorter piece, you put a lot of emotion into it and really conveyed the narrator's frustrations well.

Keep writing!
**Noelle**




Mardehoward says...


Thanks!!! :D A looooooooooot!!!



User avatar
325 Reviews


Points: 689
Reviews: 325

Donate
Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:12 pm
tigeraye wrote a review...



It's happening again... That thing. It always happens on the nights. It's cold and windy and I can barely see anything other than a little clarity at the open end of this tunnel.


Really intriguing opening.

I walk a few steps to the nearest end of it, but I already know what will happen in a while. This tunnel... It expands. The more you walk the more it expands, taking either side of it will eventually lead nowhere because there's no real end. It's eternal, but night is not eternal. Night will end, and as soon as it does I'm back to that dreadful room.


This is a deep and descriptive visual, well done. A slight nitpicky change would be "the more you walk" to more "I walk". It'd just be more consistent, since the narrator doesn't address the reader anywhere else in the piece.

My hands hurt, and I can somehow smell some of the blood that my hands left on the hard and rocky surface of the wall.


Again, awesome visuals, but I'm not sure about "somehow". If I punched a wall and left blood, I'd probably a smell it too. It wouldn't be a surprise like "somehow" indicates.

The light gets stronger and I open my eyes. The dreadful room... Another dreadful man looking at me with a crooked smile and wide black eyes. I wince at the sight of his mouth opening. "Good morning, pet."


Now thats just creepy.

This is a strong, emotional, vivid piece of writing. Nothing else to really say or critique, so good job!




Mardehoward says...


Thank you! %uD83D%uDE0A



Mardehoward says...


I meant; "Thank you =) "



User avatar
97 Reviews


Points: 114
Reviews: 97

Donate
Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:18 am
View Likes
acm wrote a review...



Great book! I think the first sentence was really strong and made me want to keep reading. For the second sentence, it said "It always happens on the nights." I don't know if it was just the way I read it, but I thought it would be better if you said, "It always happens at night." Or it could also be phrased as, "It always happens on those nights."
Other than that, I really liked it. I can't wait to see more!




Mardehoward says...


Thank you!



acm says...


You're welcome!



User avatar
172 Reviews


Points: 4915
Reviews: 172

Donate
Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:20 am
View Likes
RagingLive wrote a review...



Hi, Mardehoward!! RagingLive here to review your short! (Oh, and by the way, your avatar is simply delicious!)

Your opening was a bit choppy, making it hard to read and understand very well. Let's see how we can resolve this.

It's happening again... That thing.

Ellipses are a sequence of three dots with a space at each end. Also, change the capitalized 'this' to lowercase, it will make it much easier to read.

It always happens on the nights. It's cold and windy and I can barely see anything other than a little clarity at the open end of this tunnel.

This is really confusing as well. The tense with the first sentence isn't right, or maybe it's just the wording. It might make better sense if you were to say:
"It always happens during the nights."
Or, maybe you could combine these two sentences to make it even more clear:
"It always happens during the nights when it's cold and windy and I can barely see anything other than a little clarity at the open end of this tunnel."

I found it hard to figure out if the narrator was male or female, so you might also want to clarify this as well.
It was a hard story to comprehend, more then even a little chilling, but I found myself enjoying it! I hope that you consider expanding it as I would like to see more of your writing!

Keep writing and keep on smiling!!
~RagingLive




Mardehoward says...


Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it! And about the female or male thing I kinda did that on purpose. I thought I could leave it to the reader to think whatever he/she wanted.



RagingLive says...


That's cool too! I'm glad I could help!! :D



User avatar
299 Reviews


Points: 24185
Reviews: 299

Donate
Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:43 am
View Likes
TheSilverFox wrote a review...



Hello, Mardehoward; I'm here to review your story today! :D

First and foremost, I like how vivid this story is. Obviously, the main character has gotten herself into a dreadful mess that she is vainly attempting to extricate herself from by trying to escape through a tunnel of infinite length in either direction. She is constantly trying to run from the dreadful room, dreadful men, escaping a horrible trade, but perpetually fails in this shocking, and powerful, story. However, better yet, it is amazing how well you convey each major aspect of the story in your writing. I can envision the scene in the which the MC is, particularly the way that the tunnel expands infinitely, making it virtually impossible to escape. Through your excellent details, I can imagine what she is going through, and I can see her feelings and emotions. I can sense her despair and her sorrow as she pounds the walls vainly, see the tears that fall down her face, and envision all the efforts that she has made to find a way out of the tunnel. The story is beautifully, and powerfully, communicated through the usage of details, the balance of which you have struck nicely, and this story is vivid and intense. It leads the reader on a surprising, twisting journey of futility, while also exposing, ever so slightly, the background of the MC, their desperation, and the particular nature of this tunnel. In all, this is a decent, and impressive, story. Nice job!

I would like to point out that you do have a slight problem when it comes to your implementation of ellipses and dashes in the course of the story. Quite normally, ellipses are attached to the words that both precede and follow them. For instance, in the final paragraph, when you say...

The dreadful room... Another dreadful man looking at me with a crooked smile and wide black eyes.


...a better way of writing this would be to say something like "The dreadful room...another dreadful man." That, as far as I understand, is the proper way to use ellipses, and helps to add a little bit of correctness to this work. Furthermore, I'm also quite sure that you don't capitalize the word that follows the ellipses; I think that it's supposed to stay lowercase, unless the word follows the typical grammatical rules for capitalization. Lastly, the dashes work in the exact same way as the ellipses.

Nonetheless, I loved this story. It is vivid, and leaves a strong impression in the reader's mind. Your story is fantastically conveyed and beautifully written, and the sense of desperation and futility that pervades it is exceptional. It provides an interesting view of a particular aspect of the human mind, and I enjoyed reading this from start to finish. Well done! :D




Mardehoward says...


Thank you so much! I really appreciated your feedback! Thanks. :D



User avatar
279 Reviews


Points: 25891
Reviews: 279

Donate
Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:18 am
View Likes
Steggy wrote a review...



Hello!

Stegosaurus here for a review!

Thank you for sharing this piece on YWS! I enjoyed the plot you created and in the beginning, you make the reader question what the 'thing' is. However it seems to fall short of the a hook; a hook should grab a reader in yet this beginning is a good start, just make it grab the reader's attention. I like how you described the night (which is something I could never do well) but I do have very few nitpicks for you today.

It's cold and windy and I can barely see anything other than a little clarity at the open end of this tunnel.


As I can tell, this seems to be a listing and most listings do have commas whereas some don't (which is perfectly fine). But for this beginning, I would suggest some commas since it seems to run off into a another line without a break for the reader. In the next line, you should put a comma before anything.

I walk a few steps to the nearest end of it, but I already know what will happen in a while. This tunnel... It expands. The more you walk the more it expands, taking either side of it will eventually lead nowhere because there's no real end. It's eternal, but night is not eternal. Night will end, and as soon as it does I'm back to that dreadful room.


This little part confused me and was a little hard to understand- as terms of proper uses of a verb or something. In the beginning, it doesn't seem to give us the proper thought of- respectively- it . What could be it? What I suggest, would lead up to it and give the reader a more of a thrill than a cliffhanger.
As the paragraph continues on, the narrator realizes that she is going to meet a tunnel and sees that- like life- it expands. However, it's eternal, but night is not eternal I don't like this sudden change to say that night is not eternal and to me, it doesn't seem to move the plot along either; yet you can keep it as itself.
I'm back to that dreadful room. Okay... what dreadful room? I also think you should write something different.

I enjoyed the next paragraph as it seems to describe how they feel when they step into the tunnel they feel alone and the continue walking, until they come to the end of the tunnel- where the meet a man in the dreadful room who seems to be the master? If you read over this story again, you can pinpoint the simple mistakes that can be corrected and see the plot holes that need to be filled; since some of these paragraphs have mistakes that can be fixed with the naked eye while some need to be engrossed for the author to see.
Also most Short stories seem to have a theme and from what I am reading, I don't see a good theme to suggest for this.

Overall, I enjoyed this; I liked the character you have here and the symbolize that is the tunnel- which could be life is an endless tunnel.

If you want me to go over anything or need to some understanding of this poem, let me know!

Steggy




Mardehoward says...


Thank you, Steggy, means a lot to me. :)




Every time our next guest is here, all of our lives are seriously in danger.
— David Letterman