Home » Literary works » Novel / Chapter » Mystery / Suspense

12+

LoaMR: Ch.XIII: Invitation 1

by MailicedeNamedy

What has happened so far: Claire and Emma travelled on from Sehlingen towards the Melaten estate to see Léonard. But their journey was prolonged by a diversion into the Closed City. While Emma has made her escape, Claire remains alone. It looks as if their paths will part.

In this chapter we take a look at Léonard, the writer Julius Siebenfeder and Emma before going back to Claire.

***

Gone wind touched the pages of the countless books.

The mighty windows of the library were open. The perforated curtains hung to one side. The meadow and the lake fought for the shore. Waves broke off sand and grass, mountains watched the spectacle.

Cloudless skies changed the humidity in the forest. In the distance, the rustling of shy animals could be heard. The sun did its duty, showing itself in the east. Twilight transformed the world.

Léonard de Waarfay jumped down the steps.

There were ashes and a charred piece of birch in the fireplace. He strolled past the sofas with a stack of envelopes and papers to the narrow, raised desk. The fresh wind blew the things back into the room. He hadn't given much thought to the fact that the windows were open. Rarely did he care.

Briskly he ran through the hall and grabbed the last flying sheets.

***

With a childlike conscience and the joy of showing his parents what he had achieved, he strutted confidently to Monique. She was sitting on the narrow, makeshift terrace. The table and chair were not suitable for the low-growing lawn. The furniture wobbled with every movement. There was always the fear that the teacup might tip over.

In her hand, she held an antique book. Dirty and used, it lay against her innocent, clean skin. The brown-mouldy tome reeked of asebeia. It belonged to the monks who ran the lazaret then. Names of families wiped out centuries ago, names of children, names of the elderly, it was the death list. A piece of paper that brought nothing to those people who were immortalised on it.

"Why do you keep reading this book?" interjected Léonard comfortably.

"To remember."

"Like you're going back in time when you run your fingers over the names," he said snappily, "You'd better look at my list."

He handed her the paper in solemn hope. With a flat brow, she consulted her fiancé's handwriting. With a raised eyebrow, she pointed to a name.

"He won't come."

"I'll write him an invitation anyway."

"Where is he at the moment?"

"Vogtstadt. He takes a room at Hotel Hoppe under a false identity."

"How do you know all this? “

"He mentioned it in a telegram. He travels between Violentz and Vogtstadt."

"I last saw him... I don't remember... when he was living with us? " Monique spoke thoughtfully, "I probably wouldn't recognise him on the street."

Léonard sat down next to her.

"The last time we saw him. It's true... that must have been with us here,” he murmured. "We are in irregular contact and yet we haven't seen each other for so long."

"A sort of pen-pal relationship," Monique smiled and stroked him on the head, "He helps us. No matter what it means to him."

"He even put his sister at risk."

"It's on my bedside table."

"What?"

"The Book. The Palace of Arias. That's what you're talking about."

"It is part of my heart," Léonard spoke anxiously, "Two years since I found the first casket..."

"It was published when you travelled to Petrichor.”

Léonard remembered.

*

***

*

The country house at the end of the forgotten road lay in ruins.

Debris and ash had rained down and lit up the forest around it as the flames distorted the building. It was a sight that the people of Kalliope district kept in their minds forever. Almost without memory was this country house; living there in seclusion was a strange person known only for her eccentricity. Only on selected days did the butler come to the market to do some shopping; one Friday in a month, the woman also came downstairs, cloaked in black veils, and disappeared into a pavement café, where she only ever read the newspaper and drank a glass of water.

As Léonard took the narrow, uneven, and gravel-strewn path upwards, he did not yet know what to expect. The roof had completely disappeared, only the first floor could be sparsely made out and it was littered with fragments of books and wooden stakes. Léonard stopped in front of what had once been the entrance.

"Come in."

A voice called to him. Dimly, Léonard could make out the cowl standing beyond the building. He tore off the tattered sleeve and entered the former house. Among charred furniture, he found the burned remains of a cat. Lying next to it was a pair of glasses. It did not interest him. The important thing for him was to have a result.

The cowl stood on what looked like a former terrace. It still smelled strongly of the fire and Léonard wondered if it was appropriate to light a cigarette.

"I'm here," he said aloud to get rid of his worry.

"Sit down."

The cowl pointed to a narrow table with two chairs. Before Léonard could say anything, the cowl showed her face and took a seat. With a look from the woman that was ice cold, she pulled out a case and took out a document. It was followed by a small black casket. It was so inconspicuous and to any ordinary person like a souvenir that was not noticed, but to Léonard it seemed to be something very special. His heart beat faster and his pupils enlarged. What he had been looking for was lying on the table in front of him.

His counterpart was aware that the usually calm Léonard was sitting there with a childlike manner and could no longer be still. His arms moved closer in the direction of the casket as the woman tossed it to him.

"It won't kill you."

Léonard, quite taken aback, barely caught the thing and admired it in his own way.

"Medea is my name."

Léonard did not take his eyes off the casket as the woman spoke.

"You of the abbey still use those old-fashioned names from the time of the goddess,” he murmured, "What does yours mean?"

The woman smiled.

"Names have no meaning. Just as our Mother has a different name from when she was born, we too have been given new names once we entered the Order."

She paused as Léonard put the casket back.

"But today it is not the abbey on the table. Just you and me,” she whispered softly, "This is a contract signed between two individuals, not between the Abbey and one of its victims. Remember that."

"That's why you were so calm at the Abbey?"

She nodded.

"Why?"

"You give me what I want and I will give you what you want,” she said calmly.

"And what do you want?"

Léonard didn't feel at all comfortable sitting here with her. A breeze caught him and he got the smell of burnt flesh in his nose.

"I want what you have," she repeated.

Léonard stared at her.

"I can't give you that. You'll have to find a way yourself," he replied, "You won't be happy with it."

"I have seen mankind, so it is only understandable that I want to flee from them."

Léonard looked at the casket. As if she could read minds, she continued.

"The abbey received the four caskets. This one was among all this debris.”

She waved her arms around the terrace as if to form a circle and pointed in the direction of the former salon.

"No matter how much the world perishes, you will remain forever. As long as the Goddess wants it, right?" he whispered to the casket.

"Exactly."

She took the document and handed it to Léonard. He knew what he had to do and read it carefully while his counterpart continued to look at him with her piercing dark eyes. Nothing changed around him. The rustling of the leaves had died down and the gentle waves on the lake had come to an end. The squeak of some charred wooden beams fell silent as Léonard finished.

"You promise to give me the caskets here - all four of them - and you only have one with you?"

"I still have to get the others. It is not easy to deceive the abbey."

"That seems dangerous to me. You're working all by yourself?"

"Aidos!"

The woman clapped her hands after speaking the name. Another cowl appeared from behind one of the trees and bowed. Léonard watched them both from top to bottom and tried not to blink. He was too intent on seeing something concrete.

"I don't trust you. Not you two. I don't know with whom I'm making a contract here. -"

"But you need the caskets. You need them to make the Maiden Rose in you go out, don't you?" spoke the cowl.

"There have been so many rumours,” explained the woman, "It wasn't hard to put it all together. Actually, it was an easy puzzle. That there is still someone wandering around isn´t even a thought that seems impossible. It’s truly not a real No Man's Land, considering even the owner here was one of yours."

Léonard shook his head. A shiver ran down his spine.

"That's impossible."

"It was a cruel time, so it is understandable that man should prevail in his urges."

Léonard slammed his fist down on the table.

"My mother never volunteered-"

"No one is here by choice. We are all just puppets of our Mother. Léonard de Waarfay, as you call yourself. An impostor and a liar, a friend, and yet a mystery. You are desperate to have this will fulfilled. You have seen it in the bottom of your soul, you see it lying before you, and yet you refuse to accept the offer? Is your longing that weak? "

The woman grew louder with each new sentence. Léonard remained quiet and stared at the casket again.

"Do you really promise me the caskets? All four?"

"That's why we're making the contract. So that you have a guarantee. So that I have a guarantee."

Léonard laughed out.

"And what happens if there's a breach? Death?”

The woman smiled at him.

"Death is only a redemption. You know it better than the rest of us. Life is the true torment.”

Léonard looked down.

“In the end, it is always the parents' fault for being born. Out of a drive of lust, they condemn their children to remain eternally guilty.”

“Aidos, that´s enough.” Medea said in a dominant tone, “You will see what power we as abbey have. The book is now out and people can read it. Julius Siebenfeder should enjoy his life in fame now because every mountaineer has to come down one time. And it is your fault, that Julius Siebenfeder has to fall. But all the guilt that you have - you can lose it by signing this contract.”

Léonard was shaking all over. He was sitting in front of the goal and yet it seemed as if the goal was moving further away from him with each new step. For a long time, the guilt he no longer knew had been spreading through him. He had an anger inside him, sadness, and was looking for a way to forgive. Léonard remained in stasis as his thoughts spoke up in his head. He had to go on. He had to go on, to get to the end. There was no time to be sorry. There was no time to feel guilt. It was his time to finally move forward.

With doubt about being close to his end, he thought about the fact that his goal was now in front of him.

“Forgive me, Julius, but this is for Monique and myself.”

“So you going to accept the offer?” Medea asked.

“Yes. I will get the caskets and you will get our lives.”

Medea handed him a pen. Léonard signed the document and felt with every new letter he made on this thing, that he could get his redemption in the end. But he didn´t know that the way to it, was still in front of him.

Medea took the document and signed it, too.

"Our game begins with this."

*

***

*

"Three months later, his sister died," Léonard continued, "Why is the abbey so bent on helping me and hurting him? We have a common goal...?"

"To understand the abbey is to be part of it. There is so much missing to complete the puzzle,” Monique said, "Don't throw yourself into thoughts like that. Look!"

She took his pen and added a name.

"Why him?" he asked, perplexed, after taking the note from her, "He's not one for parties."

"Because I would like to see him again. Besides, after everything that's happened."

Léonard grinned.

"He will come," Monique smiled.

"All right. “

To XIII.2.

Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:36 pm
RandomTalks wrote a review...

Hey Mailice!

RandomTalks here with a short review!

Okay, this was an interesting beginning to the chapter and it genuinely made me sit for a while and organize all this new information in my head. I still haven't successfully managed to do that, so I apologize in advance if this review comes off as a little vague and difficult to understand.

Its been a while since we heard from Leonard. We have been following Emma and Claire for a while now, and including Leonard in this chapter was a welcome change, especially because you have left both the plot points in a somewhat vague and mysterious open road where it can go in any direction. We don't know what is going on with Emma or even where she is. We don't know what meeting Daphne is going to mean for Claire, and to be honest, even though we have come a long way into the novel we still hardly know anything solid about Leonard. And just when things were spicing up with Emma's disappearance and Daphne's introduction, you have now introduced a boatload of mysteries that is going to take me at least a couple of rereads to sort through.

As confusing as some parts were, (and I say confusing because currently I have no idea what is going on), all the new developments and revelations were extremely intriguing and have moved the plot forward. There is absolutely no way I will be able to decode everything that happened here. But from Leonard's wondering as well as the extra star marks marking that part, I have deciphered that the deal in the middle happened in the past. You might want to make that demarcation a little more clearer, but sadly aside from that little fact, I am not absolutely sure about anything else.

"This is a contract signed between two individuals, not between the Abbey and one of its victims. Remember that."

Since this deal happened in the past, and Leonard and the cowl referred to it as the contract, I am going to go ahead and assume that its the same one that has been mentioned enough times already in the story. I always assumed that Leonard had made contract with the abbey and was now trapped in some game with them. But it seems that the woman Medea is working independently from the abbey. I tried to pinpoint Leonard and any mention of her previously in the story and the only person I could draw connections with was that woman in the beginning of the story who was involved in a massacre because she felt she was wronged. She had been in anguish and had been looking for Leonard if I remember correctly. I could be wrong of course, but at least I can say positively that the deal they made did not exactly as they thought it would.

I did not understand the significance of the 'caskets' and I am not sure if they have been mentioned before. I also have no idea why Leonard is so desperate for them. Even if I keep all that aside, I did not exactly understand the terms of this deal. In the beginning of their conversation Medea mentioned that she wants what Leonard has and at the end I realized she meant it quite literally. Still, I do not really understand what Leonard meant when he said 'you will get our lives'. Does he mean giving up their identity? Is that why he and Monique are currently living in secret in Melaten (that was the name of the estate right?) ?

Now, Julius has always been a rather intriguing character in the story and its interesting how you have kept him wrapped in mysterious shadows so we never get a full glimpse of this man until you want us to. And yet there are subtle mentions of the man everywhere in the story, whether it is in conversations or the back of books, his presence is felt and purposely kept ambiguous every time. This chapter follows on that trend, except now we know that the falling out between him and Leonard happened because of this contract. He was his friend and Leonard betrayed him although he regretted it? And because I am simply guessing now, I am going to go ahead and guess that Medea or the contract is also somehow connected to his sister's death. Maybe that is what caused the final rift between them and maybe its also the reason why everyone always talks in whispers about him. I certainly want to meet this character, and we get that opportunity sooner rather than later.

You need them to make the Maiden Rose in you go out, don't you?

I would try to decipher this and tell you my theories, but I honestly have no idea what she meant by this. I did notice that we got all the words of the title of the story in this chapter. Not sure if there was a deeper significance to it.

Well, that's all. It was an interesting read, if not slightly confusing. Coming back to the present, Leonard seems to be in a better place. He is his usual playful self, but there is a lightness to him that wasn't there before he came back home. And the mysterious guest at the end, were they talking about Julius? Or is it someone else entirely? Either ways, I am excited to find out.

I got the impression that this chapter was meant to clear the plot a little and give us a deeper idea of what is going on. Now instead of doing that, it has added more mysteries on the table and pulled us in even further in the story.

Keep writing and have a great day!

Until next time!

Thank you very much for your review! :D

Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:18 pm
MailicedeNamedy says...

Hi @ForeverYoung299,

Thank you very much for your review! :D

Okay now the Palace of Arias. I don't think we have got any mention of this book before.

The name of the book is actually often to read, but I can understand, that it gets confusing after all the characters. It was first mentioned in the very first chapter where Martha went to the library and we got to hear the name Julius, which is the same as mentioned here. :D

And now this Medea. I don't think I have ever heard this name, so another new person we have here.

Medea is actually the woman that is playing “that game” with Léonard. Just she wasn´t called that in the first chapters, only as “cowl” or “the woman” because of not bringing too many new characters in the story.

Finally, with the deal. To be very honest, it kind of went above my head. I will try to decipher it though.

:D If you paint a straight line on a paper, you can put this meeting with the deal at the earliest point that there is in the story. It is the catalyst for the whole story to start rolling. :D (Except that one flashback in the coming part, that is even earlier). From these two parts on, the whole story unfolds; Léonard comes to Sehlingen, etc…

If you like, I can give you a short summary of the most important characters, so you won´t get confused that often. :D

Oh thanks for the clarifications! :D
I do have a note on my computer regarding all the characters but I am way too lazy to open my computer and read the story(I am the laziest *sigh*) So, ah it would be very very helpful if you can provide the summary *flashes a wide shameless smile*

Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:31 pm
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...

Hey! Forever here with a review!!

This was an interesting part we had here. I liked the short detour to Leonard and Monique. This was kind of a beginning to 'merging of tracks' part. I do think that Leonard is at Melaten and Claire will go there and meet him. I am quite hopeful about this. I wonder if Claire can actually find Emma on her way to Melaten. I ardently hope Emma hasn't been caught and nothing has been done to her mother and grandfather.

Now a lot happened in this specific part. When I first read it, I was terribly confused with everything in general but that's actually quite good. After all, it's mystery and if we don't revisit things in mystery, it doesn't have the mysterious sense. Let's try to see what I can actually get out of this very part. Guess I will go part by part and then an overall.

I wonder about what book this actually is. Well, if I am not wrong, Leonard gave her a book but I do think that the book Monique is reading is certainly not that very book. However, I like how it too is about religion and faith. It helps a lot in character exposition and shows their immense interest in these things. I also liked the inclusion of the death list. Like it relates to the whole thing. Their interest in death and life.

And now this man. Okay I don't know why but from the very first, I suspected the specified person to be Julius. Okay, seems like they haven't met him for an eternity and also Julius appears to be a very mysterious person like Leonard. They do have quite some similarities between them. Like both of them are veryy mysterious and face hardships.

Okay now the Palace of Arias. I don't think we have got any mention of this book before. So, that's quite a new thing. Or maybe this was the book that Leonard brought(I have already forgotten what exactly he brought besides the casket,forgive me). Anyway, so apparently the book is about the palace of Arias. I wonder where it actually is. The only two palaces I remember having read are the palace of Kapalangarten and the palace in that forest itself. I guess it's not about the former, maybe the latter. Hm, interesting!

And now this Medea. I don't think I have ever heard this name, so another new person we have here. I don't know how I wil remember so many names and places but ah, I guess I wil have to. Anyway, this Medea too is kind of a closed book, like the other characters. I will not talk a lot about her, I didn't get the best character development here. However, I do think that she is not as important as the main characters. From what I understood, she might be one of the most prominent leaders of the abbey and well, another important thing that happened here is we clearly got to know the fact that Léonard is a victim of the abbey. Hm.. now the question is who this Aidos is. I do think I have read this name before in this story, not sure though.

Finally, with the deal. To be very honest, it kind of went above my head. I will try to decipher it though. Okay, so it appeared like Leonard has signed quite some deals before but this was a very important and critical one. Like his character, as was portrayed during the signing was a bit different from the Leonard we know. That was an interesting thing to see. So, there are 4 caskets and Leonard wants to get them all. If I am not wrong, this casket is supposed to be the second one(?) I guess he got the first one sometime ago when he reached Monique or did he get any earlier than that? Who knows. But it was still a but unclear to me- the deal of 4 caskets, I mean. Like he already has one. I was a bit confused about that.

And finally, finally, I wonder what thing Medea referred to. I guess that was actually supposed to be a mystery, maybe a book written by Julius. Or... Julius' location? The book about the palace? Pretty intriguing, actually. Lastly(Well, doesn't matter however many times I say it xD, things are simply popping in and out of my mind), I am not at all sure but the line that referred to the beginning of the game, made me wonder back and forth. Does this part take place in present? Like the game had begun a long time ago. Forgive the inconsistency in the review, I got lost several times.

Keep Writing!!

~Forever

Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:48 pm
MailicedeNamedy says...

@HarryHardy

Thank you very much for your review! :D

Well...I don't know if that book is somehow important, but it certainly is intriguing to see Léonard mention that Monique has read that repeatedly, that definitely can't just be here favorite fantasy novel or something.

That book isn´t important at all. Monique just likes to read it and think about death, I guess.

Ohhhhhh....so that makes a lot more sense...I was wondering why Léonard would draw up yet more contracts when we already had one mentioned that one other time. So that was a skip back in time...hmm, I have to say, with the way this story is usually structured, its very hard to realize that until this point. Yes, there are those separators, but I think perhaps some italics or a line saying 'x days ago' will work better.

I get what you mean here. Maybe in the next draft, I´m putting some info in, when we are going back in time. This is actually the first and only contract that Léonard signed with the woman named Medea. It´s when they started their game that brought Léonard to Sehlingen in the first place.

HarryHardy says...

Hmm...me totally overdoing the suspicion then...xD

Hmm...I'm gonna try and remember that!! :D

Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:06 am

First Impression: Okayy...so we're back to Léonard after all this time and right away we have some shady deals being remembered, and interesting invitations being sent out. Well, this was a nice little extra dose of excitement and mystery here, just to remind us that this doesn't simply revolve around a closed city, but also has this giant plot with all sorts of mysteries.

Hmm, well this almost sounds like a bit of a reintroduction here to Léonard and that does make quite a bit of sense considering that we haven't seen him in quite some time, I can't even remember the last chapter part that he was in. Soo...a little moment like this is a good choice here.

Léonard sat down next to her.

"He even put his sister at risk."

"It's on my bedside table."

"What?"

Okayy...well....I got some of those references at least so I'm going to do a celebratory dance..xD And well...I can guess from that conversation that we're going to meet that other person that headmaster person lumped together with Léonard in that one route rather soon and perhaps some things regarding the purpose of Léonard's actions will come to light somehow.

"Come in."

OKayy...another nice little mild introduction there to introduce us to the new environment. Its always quite good to have a general idea of the surroundings when its balanced just about right like it is here.

"It won't kill you."

Well, it seems this is not the Julius fellow but some sort of other woman that's about to hand him something possibly related to this plot that we're following. The setup for this has had entirely too many potential alarm bells of suspicious activity for this to be a pair of shoes or something.

She nodded.

"Why?"

Oooooh, okay, so some shady deals even this shady abbey doesn't really know about, okay I wonder what this could possibly be about. There's certainly enough flair being put out here, what with the rather dramatic mention of how the names are changed once you become a part of said shady organization.

"Exactly."

OKayy....so that sounded like a teeny tiny argument starting there, but then it resolved itself before it even really began, so I'm going to dismiss that for the moment. It seems their little deal is going well despite how dangerous these two manage to make it sound here. A good piece overall here.

"That's impossible."

"My mother never volunteered-"

Okay, I take that back, the argument appears to have escalated and it appears we even had another person come into said argument. That part is maybe a little fast there. I feel like I had to read that section twice to see this second person arriving.

Léonard laughed out.

The woman smiled at him.

Léonard looked down.

Okay....so no one is dying here, that's a relief...or maybe not...Léonard isn't exactly the best person...but hmm, it seems these are two people who know very well about what they're talking here and they aren't even remotely afraid to threaten Léonard and do what they want.

Okayy....soo...I thought this was some sort of previous contract that was getting cashed in here....but it seems we have ourselves a new agreement being signed, one where most likely this Julius person is going to end up suffering if that little apology is anything to be judging by here. Well, this is certainly quite the moment.

She took his pen and added a name.

Léonard grinned.

"He will come," Monique smiled.

"All right. “

Ohhhhhh....so that makes a lot more sense...I was wondering why Léonard would draw up yet more contracts when we already had one mentioned that one other time. So that was a skip back in time...hmm, I have to say, with the way this story is usually structured, its very hard to realize that until this point. Yes, there are those separators, but I think perhaps some italics or a line saying 'x days ago' will work better. Also well...it seems this invitation is certainly going out and both of them believe it will be accepted.

Overall: Overall, this is a good start to this chapter. It makes it pretty clear what the intentions of this chapter are from what we have going on here and so far I'm liking this much. As much as I continue to not be a fan of Léonard, I have to admit, the most mystery does happen when he gets involved. Looking forward to seeing where this goes next. :D

Thank you for the review! :D

HarryHardy says...

You're Welcome!! :D

Why should Caesar just get to stomp around like a giant while the rest of us try not to get smushed under his big feet? Brutus is just as cute as Caesar, right? Brutus is just as smart as Caesar, people totally like Brutus just as much as they like Caesar, and when did it become okay for one person to be the boss of everybody because that's not what Rome is about! We should totally just stab Caesar!
— Gretchen Wieners