Kartiel's Curse [Chapter 17.2]

by Mageheart

Author's Note: There's a couple things I want to cover before I leave you to read this chapter, so I apologize for how long this part is. I admit this chapter isn't at the quality I normally would want to have from my chapters, but I needed to crank this one out quickly due to having a lot of stuff coming up in the next few days. (That's also why this is barely over the minimum, despite me easily getting past that in previous installments.) I know there's going to be a lot of places that need some work - all I request is that you try to look past those places when reading through the sections, at least until you start writing your reviews.

Also, as a little formatting heads up: the scene break at the beginning is meant to show that the scene has changed. I've done it in my docs, but I've never transferred that over to the actual chapters I've posted in the past. I wanted to try doing that more so you can see where I try to end scenes.

Last, but certainly not least, this chapter features another memory!dream. I mentioned it in the big list of changes to the story, but a new thing is Cass being able to process the memories as they play out. It was a little hard setting the boundaries, but my current idea is that Cass can feel Kartiel's emotions to some extent while experiencing his memories, while also being able to feel her own. I feel like it didn't come across that clearly in this chapter thanks to me rushing it and also just not being in the best state of mind while writing, but I thought it was an important thing to note moving forward.

I hope you like this chapter - or, at least, are intrigued by some of the things it presents!

Words: 1,081

Last Line(s): When she finally did find Orpheus, the diary was safely tucked among a stack of books that he gladly let her take back to her room.

xXx

Orpheus left her alone in her room.

Placing her pile of books down on the floor beside her bed, Cass carefully removed the diary from its depths. She held it close to her chest as she studied the plethora of pillows; she had to move one or two of them to make the bed’s design more suited for reading than sleeping. Once her work was done, she laid down on the soft mattress and opened the diary. The sun felt warm as its rays filtered through the window and danced on her skin. She readjusted so she was facing it instead.

She reread the first entry.

Then she began to read the second.

There was nothing of note in it, though it was amazing to be reading something so historically important. She was getting a glimpse into the life of someone who had lived centuries before her on an entirely different world than her own. It was hard not to be excited about that.

But as she turned the page to the third entry, she found that she had to reread the lines in order for the content to really register. She was struggling to keep her eyes open. She knew that moving out of the sun might have been a good way to stay awake, but she was content where she was.

Maybe sleeping now wasn’t such a bad idea.

xXx

When she opened her eyes, she was standing in a graveyard.

Something about this graveyard felt more serene than others. She couldn’t quite put her finger on why—maybe it was the ways that the trees cast shadows on the old stone slabs, or the violet flowers that grew at the foot of ever grave. It took a moment for her to realize that this was another one of Kartiel’s dreams; as he stared down at the grave before him, she could see a glimpse of his golden locket dangling above the chest of his royal attire. “They said I’d find you out here,” a voice said from nearby.

She turned. 

Orpheus was standing a few feet away. His face was hidden underneath the hood of his all-too-familiar cloak, but his posture was off. He seemed so small. Orpheus wasn’t a bold person, but he was uncharacteristically quiet right now. He didn’t even make any move to approach her once he had been noticed. He just continued to stand awkwardly in front of the grave beside him, head tucked down as he stared at the grass at his feet.“I like visiting the graves,” she said. She returned to looking at the graves. The letters had worn away by now, but that didn’t seem to matter to Kartiel. “It’s a good place to think.”

She fingered the locket dangling above her chest.

Orpheus took a deep breath.

A second later, she heard him finally walk over to her. Her own relief mixed with Kartiel’s apprehension. Maybe this memory was from right after Orpheus fell, when the two barely knew each other. It would certainly explain both of their discomfort.“Does that grave belong to her?” Orpheus quietly asked.

She gave a slight nod of her head. “It does.”

When she glanced over at Orpheus a second later, she discovered that he was looking at her from underneath the cowls of his hood. Kartiel’s shock reverberated through her mind; up until this point, Orpheus had never been this confident. “I grew up hearing stories of my sister,” he said. “I think they were trying to warn me not to turn out like her. But when I...when I told people how much I admired her, they would tell me about what happened to her.”

Her face was an impassive mask, but her heart ached as Kartiel remembered his mother. It wasn’t that he was recalling specific events he had shared with her—it was the feeling of her presence, and how much he missed her every single day. He missed his father, too, but it was his mother that he missed the most. And Cass, who’s own heart ached for the parents she had left back on Earth, found herself understanding Kartiel more than she had ever had before.

Orpheus took another deep breath as he turned back to the grave.“I used to dream that one day I’d leave and find her here in Telorum. That I could...I could see her. That she wasn’t really gone…” He faltered. “But I feel like I’m farther away from her than I’ve ever been when I’m standing in front of this grave.”

A moment passed. She began to awkwardly raise her hand, as if she was contemplating placing it on his shoulder. But then the decision was made, and she gave his shoulder a tight squeeze. Orpheus spun around, clearly startled as his hood began to slip off. He hurriedly grabbed onto the cloth, only to stop just as he began to pull it up.

“I still think I might see her again,” she admitted, her tone surprisingly soft and reassuring. She glanced back in the direction of the worn grave. “I don’t come here to mourn her. I come here to feel connected to her, wherever she is right now. Whether that’s in places I’ll never see or in the afterlife, I don’t know.”

She removed her hand and leaned down, plucking a small collection of purple flowers before laying them at the foot of her grave. Orpheus hesitantly did the same. As they both crouched before the grave, he gave her an inquisitive look. “But aren’t graves meant to represent death?”“Most are,” she confirmed. “This graveyard is different.”

He frowned. “I don’t understand.”

Cass didn’t, either, but she frustratingly had to wait for the following silence to come to a close to get her answer.“You know Telorum’s history,” she said. She rose to her feet, her gaze sweeping across the rows of graves. “This is an empty graveyard, and my mother’s grave is no exception.”

Orpheus rose to his feet as well. 

She turned to him. Sensing the conclusion of that part of their conversation, she asked, “Why were you looking for me?”

He stiffened.

She folded her arms and waited for a response; whatever it was, Orpheus didn’t want to share it anymore.“I...I wanted to know if you could tell me more about Ikach,” he asked.

Now it was Kartiel who grew tense—Cass felt just as uneasy at the mention of his name.

“Why?”

“Because I…” He took a deep breath. “I like his daughter."

Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:34 am
Lib says...

Bro doesn't Lira already have a fiance? xD Rodet? So many emotions everywherrrrrre.

Mageheart says...

She doesn't anymore, actually! It's something I changed - I think I made a note about it in one of the earlier chapters, but I could be wrong. :P

Panikos wrote a review...

Hi, Mage! I think you're being too hard on yourself where this chapter is concerned. Despite your warnings, I really enjoyed it!

Small Comments

She reread the first entry.

Then she began to read the second.

Could you maybe reference a few details from the journal entries? Keep it brief, obviously, but I think it would elevate this moment if we got a slightly better sense of what Cass was reading about.

It took a moment for her to realize that this was another one of Kartiel’s dreams; as he stared down at the grave before him, she could see a glimpse of his golden locket dangling above the chest of his royal attire.

This sentence causes quite a lot of confusion. Because you talk about Kartiel staring down at the grave and Cass being able to see the locket, I assumed Cass was watching the scene unfold from an outside perspective. But I think, as the scene progresses, it becomes more clear that Cass is seeing through Kartiel's eyes.

I still don't think you've quite got these scenes under control yet, though you're getting closer. I don't think chopping between 'he' and 'she' pronouns works. It might work if Cass was more passive and basically just watching things unfold behind Kartiel's eyes, but she feels like she's actually making choices and acting through Kartiel, even if she isn't. It comes across like both characters are in the scene as individuals, acting for themselves.

I think the simplest course of action would be to just stick to 'she' pronouns - but also make sure to use Cass's name as well. The reason the earlier memories caused so much confusion is because it was never clear who 'she' referred to, but referencing Cass by name would clear up that mystery. You can still make it clear that she's in Kartiel's memories, because you can mention that when she speaks, it's his voice that comes out. Or when she looks down at herself, her hands are different - things like that. But I'd choose one pronoun and stick to it, otherwise you end up in knots.

he was looking at her from underneath the cowls of his hood.

I think you overuse 'cowls'. It seems to crop up every time you describe Orpheus.

And Cass, who’s own heart ached

Should be 'whose' - just a typo.

“You know Telorum’s history,” she said. She rose to her feet, her gaze sweeping across the rows of graves. “This is an empty graveyard, and my mother’s grave is no exception.”

???? What on earth does this mean!? Where do Telorum's dead go!?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!!!

Overall Thoughts

So is Nebris actually Orpheus?? I feel like he must be. I know they look different, but there are too many coincidences. How touchy Nebris got when Cass mentioned Aldonius, the altar thing in Orpheus's room, the fact that Orpheus is blowing off contacting someone...

I seriously hope he is. If so, that's another twist that I didn't even remotely see coming, and the implications would be fascinating. Is Orpheus Lira's contracted, but hiding it from her because he's ashamed about being a Fallen? Is he not Lira's contracted, and desperately sad about it? I really want to know how everything ties together.

For the most part, I thought you handled this chapter marvellously. The conversation between Orpheus and Kartiel/Cass flows really well, with just enough mysterious hints to keep it fresh and exciting. I really want to know what Orpheus's sister did that means she's treated as a cautionary tale. Did she fall in love with a mortal, perhaps, and now Orpheus has followed in her footsteps with Lira...?

The only real weakness in this chapter is the POV stuff that I mentioned earlier in the review. Like I say, I think you should stick to one pronoun and stick to it. I also think you need to be more consistent regarding how much Cass feels like she's in control of the memory as it unfolds. In some moments, she speaks as though with autonomy, but in others, it seems like she's waiting for Kartiel's mouth to move. Personally, I think the memory scenes might be stronger if Cass didn't stop to dissect them while they were happening. You know how when you're dreaming you treat every absurdity with complete nonchalance? It could be like that. Maybe in the memory, she could really feel like she's one with Kartiel, sharing his emotions and speaking as if she's in control of her words and knows exactly why she's saying them. Then when she wakes up, all the gaps could come back. That's just one idea, though. I don't mind what you do as long as you keep it consistent.

That's all for this review! This was a great chapter. I can't wait for the next.

Keep writing! :D
~Pan

OKAY QUESTION you had to know this question was coming, #amiright ?

is Orpheus the same person as Nebris

I mean on the one hand I don't really understand how he could be, based purely on looks, but then again, magic is a thing. So how hard would it be to make himself look like not-himself, especially through a magic mirror or pool or however exactly Nebris and Lira communicate? And if Nebris was actually a fallen, that would certainly explain why he was so incredibly awkward with Lira before, when she asked him whatever question she asked him. Because obviously for things to move forward, *at some point* it would have to come out that he's really a fallen, and then given what we know about Lira, like, you know, we can't know exactly how she'd take that but probably it wouldn't be well.

Anyway, if Orpheus isn't Nebris, I might be *slightly* disappointed, but either way it's a good twist that he likes Lira. Unless Ikach has another daughter we don't know about, but I doubt you'd pull something like that.

I have to say, maybe it's just because I'm more used to these memory/dreams, but I felt like you did a better job balancing the Cass/Kartiel here? I can see your difficulty in writing it that way--being in Cass' head sort of distances us from Kartiel's thoughts and feelings, which might remove us from the scene too much, but we also want to get the difference between Cass and Kartiel--but at the same time, remember when I thought maybe Aldonius/Kartiel was trans because of the "she" pronouns, but then it turned out it was just because Cass was living Kartiel's memories? Like that wouldn't happen in this chapter, I'm sure, even though I'm reading it with the knowledge of what's going on now.

“And how shall I think of you?' He considered a moment and then laughed. 'Think of me with my nose in a book!”
— Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell