z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Cursed, Pt. 1

by comrie


The Cursed

Part 1

~x~

Her head in her hands, Celia watched as the hot air balloon danced by her house again. It hopped between the clouds in a steady pattern. There was nothing peculiar about it save for the fact that there was no pilot.

She wondered how it was able to fly by itself with no one to direct it, to steer it from oncoming planes or birds. It moved with a mind of its own, with a body of its own. Every day it followed the same path, to and from. She didn't know its destination or its source — no one seemed to know. And anytime someone did try to track it, their findings would come up blank, mostly because it was discovered that no matter what direction it came — to and from — it would disappear on sight, almost as if the balloon itself knew it was being tracked and didn't want anyone to know anything about it.

As per usual, Celia's mind soared with theories of impossibility, of — unsurprisingly — magic. For what other reason would a hot air balloon in midair appear and disappear into thin air?

Down below, she heard the wonder-filled cries of passing folk. Their fingers were in the air, pointing as the balloon bobbed around. Children jumped up and down, their hands grasping and releasing as if they were trying to catch the balloon for themselves. The adults by their sides would forcefully draw their children's hands down, unamused by their excitement. To them, the hot air balloon was not an alluring mystery, but a frightening one.

Celia wondered what they thought was the reason for its ability to fly itself. She did know that their theories undoubtedly did not include even a spark of magic.

Sensible, was what her mother Irma defined them, before continuing with, You ought to be like them.

Surely, Celia knew there was nothing wrong with being sensible despite the fact that she herself was the least sensible person around. Being sensible meant disbelieving in intangible things like magic and destiny. And Celia very much liked believing in magic and destiny no matter the disapproving looks Irma would slide her way.

Celia did know well to keep her beliefs of magic, her beliefs about the new witches to herself. Outward declarations of this belief would only garner unwanted attention from her fellow folk.

To the people of Terran, what the witches were practicing was nothing like the magic often portrayed in storybooks. Glittering magic that did good, much like the magic Nicholas Cloud did in his storybooks: magic that helped the unfortunate and promoted happiness for all.

No, what those eleven witches practiced was nothing short of evil, the people would always say, only lowering their voice when supposed evil-dabblers drew near.

Celia's thoughts always differed on the matter. If what the witches dabbled in was evil and only evil, then why hadn't they destroyed everyone and claimed the settlement for themselves?

So far no one had an answer to that.

No one also had an answer to just why the coven drew up to their region of greater Azarlin. The land of Azarlin was no stranger to magic — with witches and faeries and shapeshifters deep within its roots. Other settlements were quite familiar with things magical, but Terran was one of the few that was free from it. That was until a group of eleven witches emerged at the front gates, seemingly out of nowhere. And no one, not since Cal Drigs, had the boldness to ask them of their purpose.

Off into the clouds, the hot-air balloon disappeared with no trace of it ever passing. Celia moved away from the window. She swiped the charcoal stick from the windowsill and moved to the window's side. With a steady hand, she drew a tally mark, the forty-seventh tally mark.

Forty-seven times had that balloon passed by. Celia had kept track since the first day she'd seen it: the day the witches appeared. A month and a few days later, and almost half the wall featuring the window was nearly covered with black lines. Some hurried, some neat. They were all the same though: consistent.

Irma had seen her tallies one day, during one of the very few times she left her door open. Celia's bow had paused over the violin's strings just as Irma paused in the door way, and not a word came from either of them until Irma let out a huff, continuing down the hall. Celia's mother Irma thought her obsession with the hot air balloon was nothing but dangerous. She would always tell Celia her obsession and constant wondering would get her heart carved out and bottled one day — most likely by the settlement's new residents.

"Stop your gazing. Your nosiness will only leave you without a heart," she'd said later that day in a sterner voice than usual. It was the same kind of sternness Irma would use when Celia would ask questions about her father.

But to be nosy about a magical hot air balloon? Celia had wondered to herself. I'd get my heart taken because of something as silly and unimportant like that?

Aloud, she had simply said, "Yes, mother" with a hand placed, fingers curled, lightly over her heart.

~x~

"There it goes again," breathed Celia's friend Noelle. Her hand met Celia's arm, halting them both in their steps. Celia knew that it was the hot air balloon, fluttering in the sky on record time: its forty-eighth appearance. The rest of the academy students paused in their steps, all watching.

But Celia kept her eyes away. Your nosiness will only leave you without a heart. Noelle was harmless, but there were eyes everywhere. Celia wondered if Noelle's own mother ever warned her about raising suspicions from the town's resident coven. Judging from the sparkly glint in Noelle's wide eyes, Celia guessed she didn't.

Celia's face gave nothing away. On the outside, she was calm; on the inside, though, she was anything but. Her heart hammered away but her eyes were careful not to show just how anxious she was. Her fingers, pressed against the sides of her skirt, twitched.

She wished she could walk faster — no, fly. Fly as unrealistically as the pilot-less hot air balloon. Fly to her room, to mark another tally on the wall. And, to also, be home before Irma's meeting.

"You are not to be late," Irma said to her before she'd left the house this morning. "I am meeting with one of their members today. Your tardiness would only disrupt the course of the meeting." Celia wondered just which one of their members would be in her house. This wonder settled in her mind, fueling every hurried movement of the day.

Celia's feet started moving again. Noelle's palm fell away, then her fingers, and Celia was able to move freely. Her steps brisk, her arms swung by her sides. She would not be late, she vowed.

"Do you ever wonder where it's headed?" Noelle asked, having followed Celia. She nudged Celia with her shoulder, and Celia could hear the grin in her voice.

All the time. "Sometimes," Celia said, slipping some of her dark hair behind both pierced ears. She let out a breath clouded by the cold air. "But I should stop. My mother tells me I'm destined to live without a heart if the anyone gets suspicious."

"You mean if the coven gets suspicious," said Noelle.

It was amusing that there was no other name besides the coven for the eleven witches that suddenly appeared. No one knew their business, but all were sure not to cross their path. Everyone had heard what had happened to Cal Drigs for raising questions at them. From man to dog he'd turned, in the blink of an eye.

After that, everyone kept their wondering to themselves.

Noelle hummed. "A heartless Celia; I don't think such a thing could possibly exist."

Celia didn't know why Noelle couldn't imagine so. Anything was possible in Azarlin. And it proved to be so even as the witches rolled into town. Celia, still full of heart, said, "Such a thing could exist. Such a thing would only be dead."

Noelle said, "Living without a heart wouldn't kill you, you know that." Not physically, Celia wanted to agree, and then disagree with, But emotionally, yes. Because that much was true.

Celia shrugged wordlessly, pulling on the scarf wrapped around her neck.

Noelle unwrapped the sweet in her hand and popped it in her mouth. "Some say Nicholas Cloud controls it."

A scoff nearly escaped Celia's mouth when she spoke: "Nicholas Cloud doesn't exist."

Noelle's mouth puckered in doubt as she said, "Magic exists. Being in our own bubble, it's easy to forget that it exists all around Terran. But it does, and now here. So why wouldn't wizards like Nicholas Cloud exist?"

Magic exists. It was such a huge thing to think about, but to hear it? Hearing it filled Celia with something she was not sure she could only explain without magic. She of all people should not have been affected considering who her mother was. But even before the arrival of the witches, their garbs long and their heads held high, she'd known magic could exist here. She'd known deep inside and held onto it.

Deep inside. That was also where she heard her mother's sneering voice: Your nosiness will only leave you without a heart. Celia wished hearing these words – word spoken all too many times – would one day invoke a sense of fear in her. She wished she was afraid, because being afraid meant being safe and being safe wouldn't get your heart carved out.

"Noelle," Celia said, gearing to reply in a way her mother would approve her to, "Nicholas Cloud isn't real." She wasn't going to acknowledge the Magic exists comment. No, she knew doing so would make her secret fascination of magic not so secret.

"Says who?" Noelle said.

"Says everyone."

"You mean your mother."

Ignoring Noelle's drone voice, Celia said, "Her too." Her eyes lifted up when she felt a hand cover hers in a comforting grip. She looked at her hand, encircled by Noelle's, and it took her back to their times as children. Though Noelle denied this, she had this ability to sense Celia's emotions, no matter how much Celia tried to hide them. And Celia often tried hard to.

Lifting their gloved hands in between them, Noelle said, "You have a mind of your own, Celia. You are seventeen, old enough to have your own ideas. Your mother may be head councilwoman but she is not always right about everything."

Celia managed to avoid flinching. She knew her mother was not right on all accounts — especially magic — but hearing someone else say it, hearing Noelle say it, almost made her flinch. Removing her hand from Noelle's grip, she kept her tone neutral when she spoke: "Nicholas Cloud doesn't exist, Noelle. He's a storybook character. He isn't real."

"Oh, ho, but I am!"

Upon hearing the voice, Celia tried hard to keep from sighing. It proved itself to be a daft task, even more so when the owner of the voice stumbled in front of them.

With enthusiasm, Noelle said, "Mathias!"

"What are you wearing?" Celia asked, with even less enthusiasm.

Mathias drew the cape up to his face, covering the lower half of his face. His eyes suggested nothing but its customary sneakiness. Celia wondered if the snow-white of his hair was a wig or if he really had colored it.

"It's not what I'm wearing, it's who." Mathias lowered the cape, stretching his arms wide by his sides. With a swift bow and a grand theatrical voice, he said, "Nicholas Cloud here, at your service."

Both girls stared; Noelle with bright eyes, Celia with pursed lips. Noelle then slid Celia a deliberate look. "Well, what do you know? We were just talking about you, Nicholas. Celia here was just marveling at your very existence."

"I was not," Celia said firmly.

Mathias' lips stretched into a smile. "I do tend to have that effect on women," he continued in the voice. In his regular voice, he continued, "Both as Nicholas and myself."

Curious as ever, Celia asked, "Why are you dressed this way?"

"Why am I dressed this way?" Mathias echoed, sounding a bit miffed by Celia's question. "Don't tell me you've forgotten that today is the first day of frost. It's not like you to forget."

The first day of frost. The ball. Mathias was right; it was not like her to forgot something so routine. Balls were a common form of entertainment in Terran. And the Primefrost ball was one of the biggest events of the year, and it would no doubt be the biggest event with the witches here. Celia remembered that bit from Josephine Gordon's conversation a few tables down.

"Is that why you were absent today?" Celia asked. "To get ready for a ball that has not started yet?"

Nodding, Mathias said, "Yes. I like to be prepared in advance." He waved a hand at Celia. "Wouldn't you say I look dashing, my darling Willow?"

In storybooks, Willow Halfmoon was Nicholas Cloud's sweetheart. She was always drawn as a tall, lithe woman, the complete opposite of Celia, who was short in stature and shapely in figure. Willow Halfmoon was also something else Celia was not: a witch. She, along with Nicholas Cloud, were commonly masqueraded as at Primefrost balls though masquerading oneself wasn't obligatory in any way. Willow Halfmoon, because her primary element was frost and she was the lover of Nicholas Cloud. Nicholas Cloud, because he was Nicholas Cloud.

It was honestly no surprise that Mathias himself was dressed as Nicholas Cloud the fourth year in a row given that Mathias thought of him as some sort of hero. He hadn't changed from their early days as first-years in the academy.

Celia said, "Besides me, there are more than enough Willows in Terran to accompany you."

"'While that may be true, there is no other who holds my heart as you,'" Mathias recited in a low voice. His finger suddenly grazed itself against the underside of Celia's chin. Just before Celia could wretch her chin away, something hit her. Both his words and actions hit Celia with a sort of deja vu: the scene had transpired between Nicholas Cloud said to Willow in one of their many tales.

With a swift twist of her chin, Celia took a step back.

"You are embarrassing her, Mathias," Noelle said, with a giggle. She poked at Celia's cheek. "See? Her cheeks are red!"

Frowning, Celia moved to cover her cheeks with her hands. "They may be red, but I assure you that it is from the cold, not from him!" To a smug-looking Mathias, she said, "Don't you dare do that again." She dropped her hands. "Anyway, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I am not going to the ball."

Noelle's expression morphed into a confused one. "Why not?"

Mathias looked hesitant as he said, "I was only making fun, Celia. Don't miss the ball on my account —"

"It is not because of you or anyone," Celia said, lifting a hand. She wanted to be clear that Mathias was definitely not the reason for her lack of interest in the ball this year. "I'm just not in the mood for festivities this time around. That, and we have a guest arriving at our house and I'm not sure how long they will stay. Mother will likely want me to be home throughout the visit, Primefrost ball or not."

"Just who is this guest?" Noelle asked.

Celia lifted her shoulders. "I don't know." She left the Mother didn't want to tell me unspoken. "Mother just wants me to be home on time before —" That's when she remembered. Celia almost swore aloud. "I'm going to be late!" She started walking, and when she heard the grumbling of her friends, she tossed a wave over her shoulder.

AN: This is a short story (or novella depending on how long it ends up being) I paused and then restarted over again. Somewhat different han what I had planned for it, but I can say that I'm more excited about it than I was before so yay. This is part 1 of several. Nowhere near done, but hoping posting this will motivate me to finish. That, and my excitement for this story. For those curious: My novel The Escapists is currently on the back burner for now as I'm working to finish this particular story, but I promise to jump back into that once this is done. Feel free to leave any sort of criticism. Sorry for the ridiculously long note. Thanks for reading! -comrie


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1417 Reviews


Points: 3733
Reviews: 1417

Donate
Wed May 06, 2015 9:33 pm
View Likes
Noelle wrote a review...



Hi there!

I saw a later part of this in the feed and decided to check out the beginning. I have to say, this is really good. It really should be getting more reviews. Or maybe it's just because your writing is so awesome and everyone is afraid to review it ^_^

Her head in her hands, Celia watched as the hot air balloon danced by her house again. It hopped between the clouds in a steady pattern. There was nothing peculiar about it save for the fact that there was no pilot.

I just have a few logistics to comment on here. First off, the description of the balloon going by her house makes it sound like the balloon is at house level. But then, it's described as dancing through the clouds, which means it's a lot higher than that. If you had said, for example, "...as the hot air balloon danced over her house again" it would've matched up with the description of it in the clouds. Secondly, if the balloon was so high up, how could she know that there was no pilot? Where I live, there's a hot air balloon that comes around every so often. Even when it's fairly low, I can't see anyone in the basket. Realistically speaking, it would be hard to know that there wasn't a pilot unless you were close to it.

I really like your beginning. You're really focusing on the backstory and things that are happening in Celia's life right now, but you're not forcing it upon us. It's weaved between narration and thoughts so wonderfully. I can totally follow Celia's thought pattern as she goes from the balloon to the witches to magic and back again. Despite nothing actually happening in the first dozen or so paragraphs, I was pulled in and kept reading because I wanted to know what the next sentence would be. I applaud you for pulling in the reader so early.

Oh, there's a character named Noelle? Cool! ^_^

Celia is 17? For some reason I felt like she was a lot younger than that. Maybe it's all this talk about believing in magic and being afraid of her mother finding out about her beliefs. It all seems a bit juvenile. I wish that I could be super specific with you and point out examples, but I can't. It's just something about the way it's written that makes me feel like Celia is younger. She doesn't seem to push the boundaries and sounds a bit too naive. I don't know. Maybe it's just me. Just thought I'd point it out.

This town (country? city?) of Terran is very interesting. We haven't learned much about it directly, as in the listing of facts, but we've learned about the people in it and, now with the ball, part of the culture. It's like we're slowly unwrapping a present, judging it by every way we see it. The information is slowly trickling in and I find myself reading on to try and catch more hints at what this town is like. That's really nice to see in the first part of this story. World building is an important part of any story and you're off to a good start here.

I'm going to backtrack for a second (I like to organize my reviews so that I'm commenting as I read). At the beginning, Celia is talking about the witches being linked to the hot air balloon. She does mention that the adults basically ignored it and thought it was stupid, but that's all we got of it. What about the witches? Surely Celia has been hearing some of the town gossip. Is everyone as paranoid about them as her mother is? It was mentioned that no one talks about them, but how do they react when something happens that could possibly be linked to the witches? This might not come up until later in the story, but I wanted to mention it now in case it could help with the opening scene. Not everyone reacts the same. To generically say that the adults rolled their eyes at the balloon doesn't give us much. I wanted to see multiple reactions and understand that there might be more people out there who are terrified or in wonder of it.

Just a nitpick here.
"Is that why you were absent today?" Celia asked.

Absent from what exactly? I'm assuming school (the academy), but I can't say that for sure. A little more description around this point would do well.

In storybooks, Willow Halfmoon was Nicholas Cloud's sweetheart. She was always drawn as a tall, lithe woman, the complete opposite of Celia, who was short in stature and shapely in figure. Willow Halfmoon was also something else Celia was not: a witch. She, along with Nicholas Cloud, were commonly masqueraded as at Primefrost balls though masquerading oneself wasn't obligatory in any way. Willow Halfmoon, because her primary element was frost and she was the lover of Nicholas Cloud. Nicholas Cloud, because he was Nicholas Cloud.

Sorry to pull out such a big chunk here. I once learned from an English professor that when writing about literature, it should always be in present tense. This, I'm sure, applies to when you're writing about literature in literature (literatureception! xD) as well. My suggestion with this is to switch to present tense just when you're talking about the storybook stories. Think about it, these stories still exist, yes? Celia can go home and pull it off her bookshelf and read the story. She can read/live it over and over again, meaning it's not over and therefore can't be talked about in past tense. It wouldn't be a problem switching tenses here as long as you keep the present while talking about the stories and past for everything else.

Overall I think you've got a great start here. You've done a good job introducing the characters and spending enough time letting us get to know them. The way you weaved in backstory and information about the town and the people living there worked really well. It leaves us with enough information that we want to read on and not quite enough that we feel we know everything already. You've left a door open with these witches and I'm really eager to find out if they're linked to this hot air balloon or not, and what the balloon is even for.

I hope we get to see a lot of Celia's mother in the next part. We know a lot about the woman from Celia's perspective, but seeing her during the meeting and hearing her talk might make us change our minds. Or not. Part of me wants to believe that she's just as terrible and controlling as Celia describes her, but another part of me believes Celia is just exaggerating. I guess I'll find out soon.

Keep writing!
**Noelle**




comrie says...


Heya there,

I meant to reply earlier, but things have gotten busy. Thank you for stopping by!

Hm, I never thought of it like that. I think when I was writing that part, I wanted it to be so that the air balloon was actually in and around the clouds, and not literally sailing by her house. Your edit makes sense and I like it a lot; I think I'll go by it! Also, that pilot thing makes a lot of sense. Writing this, I didn't think of whether or not people at the ground, or even in their houses, could see if anyone was steering the balloon or not. As the writer, I knew that it was pilot-less and assumed the characters would too, but I see now that's not the case. I'm not sure how I can fix that now, but I'll definitely think about it and work on it when I rewrite everything!

I'm happy to hear the beginning didn't totally bore you. Nothing really was happening, so I did worry that it would be a dud start. I wanted to get things down in the beginning so I didn't have to do much later except tie back to it. But I'm glad that the worldbuilding is doing good so far.

Yeah, Celia is meant to be 17. And you make total sense; I didn't consider how she seemed younger with her actions/beliefs. I wanted to portray her as a mostly obedient, compliant daughter that didn't argue with her mother, but it seems to have backfired in a weird way. I did consider going younger, but I felt like it was wrong for the story. I'm now trying to be more careful with her speech/actions now. I'll definitely rework her character more.

Terran is a settlement. I don't think I've made that clear here, but I think I mentioned a little more about it later as in what it is. But yeah, it's a settlement, kind of like states/provinces. The country is actually Azarlin. I don't plan to go any farther than the actually country (and settlement... for now), so I haven't actually focused too much outside of that and just on Terran. Yay for worldbuilding haha.

As for the witches, people are more reactive (?) toward them, but I probably did not show their reactions as much as I should have. They're paranoid about them, definitely. Cautious, also. But Celia's mother is even more paranoid about them for a whole other reason that I haven't exactly revealed yet. The other folk are suspicious, and folks in Terran aren't exactly used to magical folks in their land (like the other settlements which are familiar with magical beings) so they're not sure how to go about it. So because of their uncertainty, they just try to ignore them and stay clear of them. But maybe I should reconsider that and make them more reactive (?) towards the witches' presence. And like show what I'm telling you now, how they're suspicious and stuff. I think the multiple reactions thing works really well and I'm actually considering some stuff now... I'm not sure if I can do it at the part I'm at now (5) but I will try to do something. If not now, then when I rewrite but I really like the idea of seeing how different people react and what they do... Hm:)

Yes, I definitely should have clarified. You're right; I meant absent from classes!

I don't mind you pulling out the big chunks! But that is an awesome point you've made there. These stories definitely do exist (they're actually pretty recent stories) and you make total sense. For some reason, I feel like I've heard this sort of thing somewhere before but writing this. But I'm totally going to make note of this for my rewrite~

I'm really happy to hear that you think that. I've always felt unsure of the info I've been throwing around and didn't know if I was laying it on too thick. But I'm happy it doesn't seem to be the case here. More information on the witches, or at least their intentions, is in the next part. As for the balloon, yeah, there's some information there too, but ... never mind I won't say anything else. But you'll learn about it in the next parts, like why it's there and... I'll be quiet.

Also in the next part is Celia's mother's meeting with a certain someone, and yeah, it's in Celia's POV, so it might not give an actual idea of what's going on in her (Irma's) head, but I feel like it gives something:). She's kind of a mystery. The beginning of the latest part is completely in her mother's POV. It may not be a crystal clear picture of what's exactly going on, but I think it lets people get more of a look into her character that can't be seen through Celia's eyes. And I feel like it's given me more of an idea of what she's all about.

Thank you for reading and reviewing. I really like all the points you've made and things you've said. I'm seriously going to rework things. Super helpful, and I'll definitely keep writing~ -comrie



User avatar
107 Reviews


Points: 333
Reviews: 107

Donate
Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:37 pm
View Likes
ChiravianSkies wrote a review...



Hi, I'm Maddie and I'll be reviewing your work!
You've definitely got something going on here. This doesn't seem to have the easily resolvable plot of a short story, so it'd be best to make this a novella.
I like the idea of the witches, and how you bring up that the witches can't be evil if they haven't taken over the village. Maybe they already have. Mwahah. (Sorry. I just love villains.)
The pacing in it was nice, and the story flowed well in between scenes, for example the scene in between the cloud (A slow scene) with the scene between the friends. (A faster one.) But there wasn't any choppy parts of it too...
I love the description in this. It's nice, gives me a good idea about what's going on, and there isn't too much of it. There were no infodumps in the story, and any exposition was added casually and as it happened.
POVs didn't switch in the least and I got a clear view of Celia's head. You don't switch into another character's point of view, or go out of character. Great job on that.
For characters, I am grateful that they all are realistic. Admittedly, I love Matthias. (Redwall fangirl is a Redwall fangirl) He's very funny, and I think he likes Celia. Idk. I'm assuming that your MC Celia is a teenager, along with her friends. She's written a lot like that, yet she has adult-like qualities such as responsibilty and level-headedness. She's got her feet right on the ground and a head that's screwed on (Mostly) tightly, and I like that a lot.
I found no problems in the punctuation and dialogue. Your dialogue sounds like what I would hear in this sort of time-frame, and is natural for people too.
Closing up, I really like this story. Its world is deep, and the characters all have very real problems along with Fantastical problems. Keep writing and notify me when you've got a new part up. :)
Maddie out!




comrie says...


Hey, thank you for reading/reviewing!

Silly of me to even think this would stay a short story. I'm editing the plot *laugh* as I write, which may or may not be a good thing. Funny thing is, I didn't realize I'd need more than a short story to write everything out, but I've realized it so just a few days ago, and decided then that this would definitely be a novella. (Just have to officially sort this as a novella now).

I intended for Matthias to simply be a flirty character, even with friends like Celia and Noelle. Spoiler-maybe-not-spoiler: I'll say here that he doesn't have those kinds of feelings toward her. I didn't think he came off as liking her and I didn't want him to come off as that, haha. Just a joke-y person.
but I'm glad that you love him! Would him making a flirty joke with Noelle as well make him more of just a general flirty person?

Yes, Celia is a teenager and I tried to make it known to anyone who would read this without me literally writing, "Celia is a teenager who lives in Terran. She is seventeen." You know? I tried to be discrete, haha, though I've probably come off as just too ambiguous when it comes to her age and just her in general (and other characters). Well, I feel like I come off as too ambiguous at times. Maybe not with this but with other writing projects I am/have work/worked on. I'm just too conscious of info-dumps, but thankfully, it looks like you don't seem to notice any here, which is awesome.

Anyway, I'm sidetracking just a bit, haha, but I'm glad you like the story and I'm thankful for all the nice things you've said. These weeks I've been slammed with life/school/people,etc. that I'm not as active in writing as I used to be. But! But I'm going to try and edit the next part sometime tomorrow and update sometime before the weekend ends. Fingers crossed! Thank you again for reading/reviewing!



User avatar
125 Reviews


Points: 2816
Reviews: 125

Donate
Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:16 am
View Likes
PickledChrissy wrote a review...



Heya, Chrissy here for a review!

Well, let's see what I can find... ;)

Sensible, was what her mother Irma defined them


That's HOW her mother defined them. Not what. Or you could add AS after them, and that would fix it as well.

wondering would get her heart carved out and bottled one day


I love this line. Curiosity killed the cat, right? :D

Cal Drigs for raising questions at them.


How long ago is this set? People used to be burnt if they were even suspected of practicing magic. And after something like that, wouldn't they at least be thrown out of town. His family would definitely raise a fuss.

Though Noelle denied this, she had this ability to sense Celia's emotions,


Is this magic of a sort, or just friendship? Because, you just stopped talking about magic and it's hard to tell what you meant about the "ability".

"I do tend to have that effect on women," he continued in the voice.


You need to describe his voice differently. I didn't get it very well. But, wow! He really thinks he's hot stuff. Sounds ridiculous. ;) I think that was what you were trying for.

The first day of frost. The ball.


I felt cheated when I read this. She should be embarrassed. Turning colors. You know, wouldn't you be slightly mortified that you forgot something as important as this seems to be?

Frowning, Celia moved to cover her cheeks with her hands.


She needs to react more, I think. I don't really get anything, no visual from her movement.

Well, that's all I could find. Your grammar is almost perfect, and the little bits that aren't will fix themselves as long as you keep on writing. I'm not going to bother putting them down, because when I went back to find them, I couldn't. :D

Your paragraphing is perfect. I couldn't find anything at all. Good job. ;) I have nothing left to say except...

KEEP WRITING!




comrie says...


Hi, and thank you for reviewing/reading!

As for when this takes place, I can't give an actual answer, really. This is because this story does not take place in this particular world. It is set in another - one I've made up. So I can't say this takes place 1782 or 1609 or 1824 or any time because what's happened here has not happened there. Does that make sense? Like in the story's world, there is no Battle of 1812 or Ottoman Empire. I didn't want to confuse readers so I didn't add a specific date. Plus, it confuses me because I start thinking, "Well in 1800, this existed, but not this" while in this story's world, it might exist. I didn't want to try and match this story's world with ours because it is not the same. Do you see what I mean? Or maybe I'm thinking of this all wrong. Maybe I should add dates? Would that make it better?

The man-dog transformation concerning Cal Drigs and why no one's said much of anything is explained in later parts. I initially did go deeper here with why no one said much of anything, but I wanted to focus more on Celia here so I scraped it. I wanted this part to serve as somewhat of an introductory to Celia and her life. But perhaps I should have added at least some bit of information about why no one's outwardly protested. Just tried to avoid info-dumping. Will definitely rethink/rework.

Noelle - it's supposed to be showing friendship. No magic as of yet. I did feel like that part was awkward. I felt like it was perfect in my head, but writing it -- I felt like it came out blegh but I wasn't sure. I'm just glad someone caught me on it. :] Now I kind of have an idea on how to edit it so that it does make sense.

Yes, I'm definitely going to edit Mathias there. I can see why it should be written differently. Was it too vague? Made no sense?

Yeah, her forgetting the ball would seem like something that would elicit more of a response, but I think I was trying to go for how she's so occupied with her mother's meeting with one of the witches that I kind of glossed over it. Will rethink/rework in a way that is more realistic.

Ditto with that last quote/nitpick.

But yeah, thank you so much for taking the time to read and review. I really appreciate it. I'll reread and keep an eye out for those grammar bits and rework from there. As well as the stuff you pointed out (all very good points!). I will definitely keep writing!

-comrie





Okay, that does clear it up quite a bit.




I am always saying "Glad to've met you" to somebody I'm not at all glad I met. If you want to stay alive, you have to say that stuff, though.
— Holden Caulfield