12+

Once More

by Charm

Dearest I will wait for you.

*

To hear my name be spoken on your lips,

Once more.

To feel your hand warm against mine,

Once more.

To smell your cologne; woodsy and pine,

Once more.

To see your beautiful face, light up,

Once more.

To taste your kiss on my lips,

Once more.

*

I would wait a thousand years for you dear.

Just to hear you, feel you, smell you, see you, taste you, 

Once more.

Noelle wrote a review...

Hi there! Noelle here to review as requested.

I really only have a few things to talk about with this poem.

First off, I have to say that your poetry has a definite story to it. This one and "I Would Kill Myself" bring forward stories that really show through your writing. Sometimes poetry can be so intense, so focused on figurative language and symbols that the reader isn't quite sure about what the true story is. Not with your poems. All of those elements are still there, but not as in your face as usually seen.

The one thing that really sticks out to me about this poem is the repetition in relation to the length. Now, length is relative to the story and the feeling that the poem so to make it successful. So I'm not going to tell you that you should make this poem longer. That's definitely out of the question. I do want to focus on the effect the repetition gives though. Yes it's a literary device. Yes it's effective. However, I don't feel it really adds anything to this poem. The repetition is of the phrase "one more time" which isn't quite the focus of the poem. There's a story behind the phrase that explores the why. There are hints of that story in the last stanza:

Once more.

The speaker says that they will wait for this person. That word "wait" gives off such a strong image that it really brings the poem together.

I think one of the main things that is throwing me off is the period that is at the end of the phrase "Once more." Punctuation is what sets the rhythm and flow for a poem. When I see a period in a poem I automatically pause. That's a break, something meant to separate that phrase from the rest. However, it's basically all the same phrase here, right? The speaker is listing everything that they'd like to do with this person one more time. So why the need to break it up? With the periods removed it will become like a crazed list of these things the speaker is most desperate to do with this person. That's how I'm reading this poem. Play around with it a bit and see what kind of feel you can get out of it. The fun part of poetry, in my opinion is changing up that flow to create different feelings from the words. Only you know exactly what you want us to get from this poem, I'm only giving my comments based on what I see it being.

I'm gonna give you some nitpicks about word selection. Word choice in poetry is one of the most important parts of writing poetry, I think.
To smell your cologne; woodsy and pine,

I don't see the need to explain how the cologne smells. If you want that image of the smell, describe that for us rather than stating what the smell is and then describing it. I'd rather read about the smell and make the connection that it's cologne myself.

To see your beautiful face, light up,

The first comma here disrupts the flow. It makes the reader pause as they read in a place where it would be strange to pause in an actual conversation. My poetry professor in college once gave us advice about punctuation and line breaks in poetry. He told us that if the pause is something you'd never hear in a normal conversation change it. That's what I see in this line.

To taste your kiss on my lips,

If the speaker is tasting this kiss, obviously it's on the lips ;) I know it sounds pretty and romantic and all that, but it's not really needed. We know the kiss is on the lips.

Overall I think this is a sweet poem. And I mean that as a compliment ^_^ There's a soft, loving message in this and it makes me imagine all sorts of situations. It's a universal poem that I feel like anyone can relate to. Yes there's the romantic side to it, but the idea of wanting someone to be around once more is a strong idea. I don't know who wouldn't be able to relate to that.

**Noelle**

Charm says...

Thanks for this review!!! :)

Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:26 pm
TheShauzer wrote a review...

Hey Mad ;)

I liked it, yes. But I felt it lacked in comparison to '"I Would Kill Myself"'. I liked the idea, you know, that you would wait all that time just for something to happen "once more". But I really felt that it was missing the creative ability that I know you're capable of. It was so simple; some people, simple styles just suit them. In your case I don't believe that's true!

Simply put, I liked the idea but I can't give you advice on how to improve because really it doesn't need to be improved. For the kind of poem that it is, it's pretty nice - short, sweet, in love. But you want something that hits hard - such as your other featured piece. Don't be afraid to decorate your pieces with emotion. Pour your heart into them - then comes the skilled part, rearranging that raw emotion into an elaborately designed work of awesomeness. I think that poetry is better this way, with imagery and creativity and originality and all the key components that make a writer a writer. Be unique.

That's what I thought this poem lacked - that special uniqueness. It's sweet, but is it one that you'll look back on in a year and go, "Oh, I remember this. I poured my heart into this."?

Just my opinion of course - it's nice, but you can do a lot better. And as I said, I liked the idea, but I prefer longer stanzas with more decoration. Hope I could help!

Yours in ink,
TS.

Charm says...

Thanks so much for this review. I totally agree. I wrote this poem super fast but I didn't put my heart out into it.

TheShauzer says...

Glad I could help Mad ;)

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:17 pm
fellowdankmemelord wrote a review...

Awww. This is a really cute poem. I love how melancholy this poem is. In my mind I imagined the story to be a woman writing letters to her lover. Like the last poem this one really does have much wrong with it. "To her your name be spoken on your lips" sounds a little weird but that might be a hint to what time period this is, 1800s? Anyway I can't wait to read more of your work. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:16 am
chhlovebooks wrote a review...

Hi! This is an excellent poem and I really like the imagery you use. The way you use asterisks helps and a good pattern and flow to this piece, which already is well set-up. However, you do have a few errors. This may or may not be correct, but most poets I have seen agree; proper punctuation and capitalization is definitely a good idea. Sorry if you don't agree, these are only suggestions on how I think you may improve this. "To hear my name be spoken on your lips, Once more." would probably be better off as "To hear my name be spoken on your lips, once more". Please fix this for the rest of your lines. Also, in "To hear my name be spoken on your lips," I think you mean being, not "be". I also think your poem might benefit if in "To see your beautiful face, light up," you remove the comma between "face" and "light" so as to help improve flow. Other than these things, though, this is a most excellent piece! :)

Charm says...

Thanks for the review.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:38 pm
jacquelinevillegas10 wrote a review...

This poem is really beautiful. It tells a story in only a few short lines, with the reader able to draw their own conclusions about the lovers. I liked that you used a lot of description in your words so the reader can better imagine your story in her/his head.

I wish I could write something like this, a morbidly, bitter-sweet poem that will keep people thinking. Great work!

- Keep writing!

Jackie Villegas.

Charm says...

Thanks Jackie! I'm glad you like my poems.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:27 pm
DivergentDemigod wrote a review...

well,well,well.....i really was struck by your last poem but this one ......its just an opposite of the last one and still so so beautiful ... god you are really... REALLY !!! good at this writing-a-poem- kinda stuff....you are so damn talented.... i really wish i could use just the right words of the right sentiment at the right time just like you.... thank you for writing such a beautiful poem...

Charm says...

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed both of my poems.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:47 pm
Zexal42 says...

When I read the description I didn't know what to think 'taste you' that sounds wrong but I was pleasantly surprised keep it up.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:49 pm
twistedracer01 says...

Great job. More great poems and it made spotlight. you seem to keep getting better could you help me because well... ... ... I suck at writeing :P

Anyway good job on spotlight *thumbs Up*

(Emojies wouldnt work :P)

Charm says...

Thanks :) Sure, I could give you some advice on writing. I'm not an expert though.

Thanks

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:49 am
writerkitty says...

Love it!
:) You really did a great job in creating an epic, sweet, romantic poem.
I knew you were good at this. :D :D
(But seriously this one is beautiful!)
:D

Charm says...

Aww <3 Thanks!

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:40 am
KaiTheGreater says...

Aww, so sweet!! :')

Charm says...

Thanks :)

Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:57 am
Vex15 wrote a review...

Okay, girl, this so reminds me of my boyfriend. And of the song "A Thousand Years" by Christina Perry. This is an adorable and sad poem...seriously...my boyfriend of 3 months then, almost 12 months now, moved to North Carolina in June. I'm still here in Ohio. I swear that I have felt this way and still feel this way every aching day waiting for him to return. He might be back this summer... but that would mean 13-14 months since last June. It's been so long idek how to approach him if i see him again.

Of course I still LOVEEEEEEEEEEE him and yeah I'm droning on sorry.. XD :D

*read this below in sarcastic, drippy, love-soaked tone. full of the sarcasm though*

I relate to this so much i love this why do you have to write such beautiful art?!?!?! i love this and i love cats by the way no typos here and nothing negative to say!!

Charm says...

Thanks :) I had two songs in mind when I wrote this: "A Thousand Years" by Christina Perry and "1,000 Years" by Liza Anne

Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:24 am
babydollblues says...

This poem has a very loving and sad vibe going on.
I love your usage of tangible items, especially the cologne and hand. I wanted more of those because it really awoke a sense of feeling and realness to this poem. The repetition of 'Once more.' really brought this whole poem together, so I very much congratulate you on the use of this. The only thing that stands out to me really is just a preference.
The line,
'To feel your hand warm against mine,' could be improved upon, adding more imagery to the poem.
Maybe something like this?
'To feel your warm hand heat mine,'
But this is only a matter of my own style, so ignore this if you want.
Very lovely poem, I hope to read more from you.

Charm says...

Thanks for the review :)

Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:24 am
babydollblues wrote a review...

The line,
Maybe something like this?
'To feel your warm hand heat mine,'

Charm says...

Thanks for the review :)

The poetry of the earth is never dead.
— John Keats