z

Young Writers Society


12+

The Ashes 1.1

by elysian


A Note: Obviously, this is a first draft. I'm very inexperienced with writing Novels, so I'm kind of nervous putting this up here for people to read, but I really need some good quality reviews and I want you guys to tear this apart. This is something I plan on publishing in a few years, so please, don't hold anything back. Also, any tips to help with novel writing or to help me write better in general would be great :-) Oh, and (bolded items) are things I haven't really pinpointed which one I like better or what to go with, so suggestions will be helpful! Thank you for reading, and just let me know if you would like me to keep you updated!

----

Ashes fall like confetti after a great show around me. I stood in the middle of the wreckage of the Stephen A. Schwarzman Library, the breeze was gentle, almost nonexistent against my skin. It was a beautiful show, the flames licking up all of the books as if it was a homemade meal from Grandmother’s pot. I looked at the damage I had inflicted, feeling a sense of power, knowing I could burn a huge building, so many useless books, with a little planning and a little fire. The rubble crunched as I walked over it, admiring my work. I knew I would have to leave soon, so I wouldn’t attract too much attention, but just as I turned, something caught my eye. A girl, half of her face burned, lay unconscious on the ground. I winced, I never meant to hurt anyone. I quickly walked over to her, hoping to feel warmth in her veins. He took her small face in his hands, her skin as cold as stone on the side that was untouched by the flames. I layed her head down, staring at the beautiful woman before me. I had killed her.

-

Sweat dripped off my face as I tried to catch my breath. I was used to having dreams about my work, but the dream was different. Usually, the girl is only watching, her curious eyes and amusing questions always seemed to irritate me. I had never hurt her though, I had never hurt an innocent girl. Why was this dream different?

I rubbed my eyes, wiping the sweat the pooled on the bridge of my nose. My alarm clock blinked “3:00 am” in bright neon green numbers, as if screaming that it was early. Moaning, I got up and quickly pulled my sticky clothes off for a shower. Cold water stabbed at my feverish body like knives, but soon it started to feel like the breeze on a hot summer day. It must’ve been an hour later that I finally climbed out to dry myself. The pearl white towel was tight around my waist and I brushed my teeth, taking the time to make sure I glossed over every tooth. After spitting, I looked at myself in the mirror, preparing myself for the day ahead. I had a meeting with Sebastian, my boss, about the next mission I would be assigned.

I couldn’t lie, I loved my job. The thrill of planning and executing the fires was like a drug to me. I would spend days without sleep trying to analyze how to carry out the assignment. Burning books had been in the family, and maybe that’s why I had such an obsession with it. My Grandfather, (Insert name here), had been burning books since he was around the age of 32, and never seemed to be around. Even when my parents died, (insert name here) had always been out on business. My Grandmother, on the other hand, had taken me in as her own after the plane crash. When my Grandmother died when I was 13, (insert name here) got the news that he would have to come home to keep me from going to an orphanage. I honestly don’t think he would’ve agreed if it wasn’t for his love that he held for my mother. Mom and Grandfather had always gotten along, and when she passed, he seemed to had lost any happiness that didn’t come from his wife. When Grandfather had come home, we always seemed to have had a hard relationship. Like me, my Grandfather was once addicted to the planning and executing of assignments, but instead, he had to get me through school. I left as soon as I was eighteen, even though (insert name here) wouldn’t have noticed. To this day, I don’t know what happened to him. Hopefully, he’s dead. The world’s better off without him.

Only a few seconds had gone by in the entirety of thinking of all of this, and I looked away from the mirror. The clock now blinked”4:30 am”, and the alarm will go off in thirty minutes for me to wake up. I have to be at the office by seven am, so I had some time to waste. The white walls around me seemed smaller and smaller as I pulled on my grey suit, I needed some air. I had a decent house, not too small, not too big. I got paid a minimum wage of $8.54, just like everyone else. All our houses were basically identical, none better nor worse than the next. This way, no one would covet what others had, and no one would kill for more. Everyone had just enough to survive.

The New World was peaceful, it was calm. The older have said that our world used to be in war, and that the old world was beautiful. Filled with diversity and more things that were unexplainable than what we had today. How could that be better? There is no pain, no war here. We could all live peacefully, and the government could do it’s job, without any of us having to worry.

I walked out onto my balcony. I was one of the few people that had one, but it wasn’t because I bought it. I made it myself, and it was a reward of my own hard work. Hard work is rewarded, laziness has no reward. When I was little, Grandmother would speak of love, and politics, and more nonsense. She said that elections were different, she told me of the love of the world she used to have. Grandmother told me the government was full of lies and secrets, and that the world isn’t as perfect as it seemed today. It was all nonsense to me, being as I was only seven years of age then. Of course, It is all even more confusing to me today. I’ve talked to people about my Grandmother’s words, but they just tell me in hushed voices that my Grandmother was old, and a little off in the head, and that I shouldn’t speak of it so freely.

I walked back inside and grabbed my tie, quickly tying it around my neck. The silk of the tie was cool on my fingers, and I gave it one last squeeze into place before letting it fall. I looked around my dusty apartment once more before walking through the slightly arched door. It seemed like a great day to walk to work, the sun had not yet made it out enough for it to be hot, and the breeze was welcoming. Not many people were walking around, very few people walked to work. Most took the bus or drove if they had saved up enough money to buy a car The sidewalk was smooth and cream color, with no cracks or imperfections. This was different when I was little, I remember jumping over little dents in the ground. They must’ve taken it away to look cleaner, more perfect.

I walked, not thinking of anything in particular, and the time seemed to fly away with the wind. I looked at the building before me, the years had taken a toll on it. My eyes traced the off white walls where bullet holes had dented the surface. The right corner was crumbling, and the flowers in the garden were dead. I had heard whispers that this building was once beautiful, but no one seemed to care anymore. I walked towards the White House, waiting to go through security. The line wasn’t very long, not many people visited the President. It was almost reassuring, not seeing many people come through. It reminded me that Jae was so good, he took care of everything for us.

After walking through two metal detectors and getting rid of all mobile devices, I was able to enter the White House. The Interior was worn, paintings were ripped, and colors were faded. Many servants and Military personnel stood by, making sure everyone was taken care of. I walked down several halls that almost seemed identical towards the Oval Office, eager to find out what would happen in the meeting.

Jae was standing, looking out the window behind his desk. Jae was a short man, maybe around 5’5, almost 5’6. His skin was russet, a reddish brown, and he had very defined shoulders. His dark grey suit brought out his skin tones, and he seemed very formal. Once he realized I was standing in his doorway, he turned around, “Oh! Did not hear you come! Please, sit!” He seemed rushed, as If I was interrupting him from his thoughts.

I sat down in the big blue and white couch in front of his desk, keeping my feet solid on the ground. I was on edge, as I always was when in this room. I just got the wrong kind of vibe from it each time that I’m in it. He poured himself some coffee, gesturing towards another cup as an offering. I shook my head, waving him off. “What is this meeting for Jae? A new project?”

“You have job promotion!” Adrian had always seemed to lack in his English, and he had a thick accent, so it was sometimes hard to hear him.

“What kind of a job promotion?” I asked. Jae took a long sip from his coffee, savoring its taste. He looked into his coffee, as if asking it for it to tell him how to word his next sentence.

“Burning homes,” he said each sound slowly, as if it was a sensitive topic.

Confused, I asked, “Why would you want to burn someone’s home? Doesn’t everyone deserve a home?”

He slowly took another sip of coffee, “Yes, but not people who break law. You must burn house.” He stood up, setting his coffee down. “Your first job is in (Texas or Indiana). Someone has broken law, you must go down and spend few days in town.” He said, his accent thick.

“What do I do with the people that live there?” I asked, very curious about his response. I did not know that the government had been burning houses, but the law is very important to me, so I understood why it had to be done. I would always follow my government, whatever they told me was right.

“If they choose to fight, they burn! If they choose to go, they get chained up, and brought back to White House!” He said very sternly. He looked at me for a minute while I digested the information. I shrugged and nodded, and he went back to sit at his desk, sipping his coffee.

Some people might have thought that burning houses and people would be a big deal, but I was alright with it, if that was the law. The law is the most important thing to me. Without the law, the world would have chaos. Maybe the way I always seemed unfazed was a huge reason why I was perfect for my job.

“When will I leave?” I asked, hoping it was soon. I was ready to start this new job, ready to do more for my country.

“Tonight.” He nodded solemnly. “You go and pack bags. Goodbye.” He waved me away.

I quickly got up, walking out the door. I was excited for a new project to consume my mind. I picked up the folder that held the information I needed to know for the job, and I couldn’t control my excitement. I hurried home, taking the bus instead of walking. As soon as I got back to my apartment I got to planning, fantasizing of how tomorrow would go. It would be a long trip, and I’m not even sure If I would be able to sleep.

All I knew is one thing: I was ready.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1007 Reviews


Points: 13831
Reviews: 1007

Donate
Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:05 am
View Likes
TimmyJake wrote a review...



Hey there c:

I have ten minutes to spare today, and while that may not be what you're used to get from me... I'll do my best to give you as best a review as I can.

A quick note about the beginning: cliché. I know this is a first draft, so I'm not going to spend much time on this, but when you get around to editing, be sure to change around the first bits of your chapter. Even starting the book with the character waking up (as I did - guilty as charged) could be seen as cliché, but without doubt starting it with the character in a dream. Cut the dream and put it into his thoughts later on in the chapter if possible, or find some other way of telling the reader. But to begin this with a dream? - not the best. Dreams are wonderful to use in books, so don't cut them out altogether, but it is a cliché way to begin. c:

With the time? - cut the quotation marks. It's much cleaner without them. I would simply use italics if you must use anything at all.

He said, his accent thick.


Soooo one thing you must keep in mind is a proper balance of showing and tell. You describe things very well throughout this chapter, but in many cases, it's too much. And then when it comes to places like this where the reader needs something, ah, tangible, to grasp, you don't give enough. It's not something you need to worry about! It'll partly come in time, also come as you write. With these close, sensory parts, you need to use show more (especially when it comes to a voice - help us "feel" the voice), and in many places, such as when he was taking a shower... too much. So just work on that in the following chapters. In time, you'll find the right balance of show/tell. I haven't found it yet, either, so it's not something to worry about. It'll come with your experience. ;)

Aaaaaand that's all the time I have. :/ I wish I could have helped more, and this was a fun read! I believe this is the same book we went over for a few minutes a couple weeks ago. It's good to see you're still busy at work with it.

~Darth Timmyjake




elysian says...


Thank you <3 Any feedback is great!

Yes, I see. Maybe I'm trying too hard to describe? I don't know, I guess it'll come with time.

This is all great advice :-) THANKS TIMOTHY <3

we must catch up soon ~

- Del



TimmyJake says...


We should catch up soon :)
And no, not trying too hard to describe, really. It's hard to explain, although it will come in time. It's more so where you have the description. And you'll learn in time (and soon, if you write like this!) how and where it all goes.



User avatar
18 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 18

Donate
Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:15 pm
View Likes
kathryn wrote a review...



This story is very interesting, it reminded me a little of Fahrenheit 451 where no one is allowed to read books and if books are found in a house it gets burned down. This is a good start for a novel, it is a little weird however to start the story off with a dream but I have read plenty of books that start in a dream to drag the reader in. I only noticed a few things that I wanted to point out to you that will make the story flow better.

Make sure to stay consistent with points of view. I'm sure everyone else has pointed it out but the second to last sentence of the dream changes from first to third point of view.

There are a few places where you have too many words or maybe just are missing a letter on some words.

"the sweat the pooled... "

"he seemed to had lost..." I think had should be have in this sentence.

"have had a bad relationship..." The had isn't really necessary since you used the word seemed at the beginning of the sentence.

You are also missing some punctuation in your 8th paragraph or maybe just a misplaced capital letter.

Overall this is a very good start to your story. I think it's good for everyone to at least get a little bit of experience in writing a novel even if they decide not to continue it.

Keep up the good work!




User avatar
214 Reviews


Points: 14468
Reviews: 214

Donate
Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:25 pm
View Likes
artybirdy wrote a review...



You asked for it. ;)

He took her small face in his hands, her skin as cold as stone on the side that was untouched by the flames.

1. You switched from first person to third person here. Try to remain consistent.
2. Describe the burns on her face. Compare each side of her face to each other, and the feelings and thoughts they bring to the main character. It’ll provide us with better imagery.

That said, though the dream caught my interest and made me eager to read ahead, I felt it was cliché to start off from it. If there’s another way you can pull it off, please do so because I have read countless books which begin like that. It’ll not set your story apart from others, but that’s my personal opinion.
when my parents died

I found this cliché. In every other book I read, the main characters don’t have parents. It’s gotten to the point I can no longer sympathise with characters who are orphans. You should keep them around because they can be extremely useful. xD They can add a side-plot, a conflict, become an obstacle, and so much more!

Burning books? That’s an odd job, but a unique one. But, I don’t understand one thing, why are they out to destroy the books?

In the New World, how is it possible for the Government and the public to always come to a mutual agreement? How do they maintain the peace between themselves?

“You have job promotion!” Adrian had always seemed to lack in his English, and he had a thick accent, so it was sometimes hard to hear him.

Who’s Adrian?

You haven't given us a physical description of Jae and, therefore, it's hard to picture how he looks. From his actions though, he appears to be a shrewd man hiding a lot of secrets. It’s cruel to burn down houses of those poor people just because they don’t agree with the (obviously corrupted) Government. I have a feeling the main character’s part of a conspiracy and doesn’t realise it. To me, he/she comes across as naive but sadistic, if that makes sense.

I felt that you started off slow. At this point, we don’t care about the character as we’re not familiar with them. Establish and develop it enough before you give us his/her back story. I feel you need to speed things up and give us more action.

Overall, this has a lot of potential. I have never read dystopian stories before because I never seem to understand them, but yours was easy to follow. You built up the mystery; I’m curious to know the hidden, true intention of the Government. They seem to be taking advantage of the main character. Good job! Well done, and keep writing. :)

P.S. I hope that wasn’t too harsh. I tried to be as helpful as I could without being too rude or insensitive. Let me know if I helped. Thank you. :)




elysian says...


I know you totally wrote this almost a month ago, but would it better or worse or about the same to say the parents abandoned him? I need the Grandparents in this to continue the plot I need, but the parents could stay alive and I could use them if it would be less cliche for them to abandon him. Or maybe he thought they abandoned him as a little boy but they were running from the government with books? I don't know, now I'm just rattling off ideas to you, but again with my original question, still cliche?

and that wasn't harsh! I honestly think it's better when reviewers just tell me straight up what I could improve on, it helps me in the long run :p



User avatar
221 Reviews


Points: 1476
Reviews: 221

Donate
Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:20 am
Vivian wrote a review...



Hey Viv here to rip this apart.
First off, great opening lines. It was really attention grabbing. Secondly, nnnoooo, why a library? Wh-hy? *Ahem.* Anyhow, I'll give you the nitpicks first...third.
1."He took her small face in his hands..." You suddenly switched point's of view. Was this intentional or a typo?
2.Grandfather name, maybe Arthur, or Endymion. Grandmother, Eeona or Vanessa.
3."being as I was only seven years of age then." I think the being should be changed to considering. It'd make the sentence flow smoother.
4."Of course, It is all even more confusing to me today." The "it" should not have a capitalized "I".
5."Most took the bus or drove if they had saved up enough money to buy a car The sidewalk was smooth and cream color," There should be a period after car. The color should be colored.
6."I walked down several halls that almost seemed identical towards the Oval Office," A comma should come after the seemed identical but does not really need to be changed, I think.
Okay, that's enough nitpicking. Onward to flattery.
I Love, Love, Love this. I love Dystopian novels and the such, for a second I thought this would be like the Giver where there was no color though. Wow, the U.S has really changed, glad you kept the states, btw Indiana. This poor, poor brainwashed guy. Doesn't know how bad he really is. You might want to title the story with something to do with flames. I want to be notified when you publish the next chapter and promise to review. Great idea by the way.
Viv, out.




elysian says...


Awe thank you! I will definitely let you know! :-)



User avatar
289 Reviews


Points: 30323
Reviews: 289

Donate
Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:01 am
Caesar wrote a review...



hi friend, Holofernes here to grant your request.

I didn't read the note at the beginning. To me disclaimers feel like you're justifying your writing to someone, which is a wrong attitude to assume. After having read the piece, I'm guessint you were warning me of the brackets. Fair, but you could have easily used a random name. I wouldn't be the wiser, and this piece would look a lot better. First drafts are for vomiting out content, don't agonize over names and places quite yet.

As a first draft this is fine. You introduce a character, a concept and a setting. It needs to be polished, but that's why yws is here.

The one thing I encourage you to consider is how to handle exposition. I feel you alternate between telling me things and not showing enough. For example, when your MC is at his place, he embarks on a long digression on his minimum wage, the state of the current world and the government. This is bad for two reasons. The first is you're not developing your character's voice. The information presented lacks any sort of spin on it. It seems objective (as info dumps tend to be). You as an author can and should warp information through the eyes of your character. If your guy is law abiding, don't tell me he is (which you do later on), show me dismissing rumors of a corrupt government as nonsense and accepting a job as an arsonist without hesitation.

The second reason why beginning info dumps are bad is a lot more important. They bore me. This is a first chapter. Skip the chatter and jump straight to the money. I want the first information I am presented with to intrigue me and prompt me to read more. Saying less, in this case, is fine. For example, I'd read a second installment of your novel just to find out why the government's preferred method of law enforcement is arson. Certainly not to learn more of your MC's tax payments.

Cut down on the information that isn't strictly relevant and instead set up your character's identity and purpose.

The place where you, instead, should have dedicated more effort to is the description of the white house. If you skipped the paragraph where you told me that there was an old world with wars and cut straight to the delapidated, burnt mess of the white house, you would achieve the same thing. Except in this way, it's a lot cooler. I suggest you spend more time describing the places around the main character through his eyes (this is important). A piece of advice I can give you is research. Brush up on your knowledge of famous Washington landmarks and roads and show me if in your novel they've changed, and how.

Focus on setting and atmosphere more than backstory in your first chapter. That'll be all. Hope this helps

~Ita




elysian says...


This actually makes a lot of sense, which is good.

I totally understand where you coming from, and yes, I do need to work on information dumps. My problem was never really knowing how. So I thank you for finally giving me something I can use in it's place! I really like your idea of using landmarks to describe it.

I'm not trying to defend my chapter in this way, but I looked at this first draft as just making sure I got all the information I wanted into this, and then using reviews such as yours to decode what is useful and what is not, so thank you. I will definitely get to editing this right away :-)

Thank you again for being straight up with me, this really helped :-)



Holofernes says...


no problem

another piece of advice: don't edit this. If you're determined to write this novel, power through it to the end. Apply what you learn from reviews in the next chapters.

If you get lost in a bog of editing now, you'll never finish.



elysian says...


ooohhhh okay. Thank you ;-)




As a former (and rather excellent) liar herself, Aru knew that, sometimes, speaking the truth felt like wrenching a thorn out of your side. But doing the opposite meant pretending it wasn't there. And that made every single step ache. It was no way to live.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality