i don't usually write happy poems

by elysian

Smiling, I picked up my pen and paper. I stared at the blank page, letting my mind wander. Your soft brown eyes were the first thing I saw, the way they scrunched up when you laughed, and how much love was in them every time you looked at me. I saw you perfect mouth, in the most beautiful smile I had ever seen in my life. My mind wandered to your arms around me, they always felt like home to me; safe, secure, and warm. The way your hands felt on my waist, the butterflies in my stomach. Even when I was just texting you, I couldn’t mistake the way you made me feel. Your charming words and loving phrases. It’s no wonder why I fell in love; quietly, but quickly.

I smiled, memories filling my mind and love filling my heart. Who knew that all the heartbreak, all the pain, would end in such a beautiful pairing. All the pain in the past four years had amounted to self-hatred, no self-esteem, and depression, but with you I felt that all wash away. With you I felt confident, secure, and beautiful. You made me feel new, like I didn’t have a care in the world. It’s just you and me, the rest of the world could wait.

I don’t think I could ever find a flaw in you, you’re always patient, always kind, always loving. You put me first, and love me unconditionally. You’re face is perfect, just like your body. You’ve never gotten the slightest bit mad at me, and you’ve always listened to every single rant I’ve ever had. What more could I ask for? I finally found someone with the perfect balance of similarities and differences, someone that would do anything for me, and someone that loves me for who I am.

Suddenly I couldn’t hold it in anymore, word upon word flew onto the blank page, every one filled with the love and adoration I held for you. I don’t usually write happy poems, but love, I guess you can be my exception.

{excerpt from a novel I’ll never write #6}

ishitadutt wrote a review...

Hey,
Firstly, I would say this is a brilliant piece of writing. The flow is neat and magical. I always love this style of writing. You have beautifully illustrated how love can change a person's perception and the way they feel as a part of this huge world. The feeling of love makes one forget the rest of the world and just immerse in the thought of that special person. It is a cliche theme and so I feel the newness with which you have managed to write it is commendable. Only one small thing you can work on in punctuation. Put full stops instead of comas unless necessary. Also in the line "You’re face is perfect, just like your body. You’ve never gotten the slightest bit mad at me, and you’ve always listened to every single rant I’ve ever had. "
Change "you're" to "your".
Ishita Dutt :)

elysian says...

what a silly mistake xD thank you so much!

brittlebones wrote a review...

This is so beautiful, so easy to relate to for those in love.
The imagery is fantastic. The words, so simple yet so powerful, turned into a picture in my mind.
I really understood what you meant when saying you "don't usually write happy poems" and the way this person, that means so much to you, has changed your perception of writing in that moment.
When you thought of something you liked about this person, it led to another thought and another, making a path of clear thoughts throughout the writing.
The words flowed perfectly and cleanly. It was very neat.
I sincerely enjoyed this and would love to read so much more like this.

elysian says...

thank you so much! I actually have a series of poetry like this, all listed on the side bar by this work :-) i'd love it if you'd check those out too! <3

You can cut all the flowers, but you cannot stop Spring from coming.
— Pablo Neruda