The New Generation--Chapter 13: No Pay, No Way

by erilea

Leia pulled open the door and stepped inside, looking warily around her for monsters. (She had had enough for one day.) When she saw none, she held open the door and gestured for her friends to come inside. They silently obeyed and filed in.

It really isn't a place to talk, she thought. It radiated a feeling of sorrow and loneliness--perfect for the Underworld, but it didn't fit well with mortals.

In front of her was a wizened, old man hunched over a few papers. Leia stepped forward, put her foot on a faulty spot on the floor, and winced as a creeeak filled the room. The old man looked up testily and sighed when he saw her. "Who are you?"

"I'm Leia," she said, then cursed herself for giving this stranger her real name. If he ended up as her enemy, then it was an extremely bad decision.

"Ah, Leia Jackson?" The old man raised an eyebrow and looked at her over his glasses. "Daughter of Percy Jackson and Annabeth Chase?"

"Yes..." Leia's heart beat a little faster, and she tried to calm herself. "Do you know my parents?"

"I do."

Fortunately, Festus came to stand next to her. "We want to see Hades," he ordered.

The old man looked down at his papers and sighed. "Well, see, he's busy right now. You can wait in the lobby until he's free."

"How long will that be?" 

"Oh, about a few eons."

Silena stomped up to the man and growled, "Lead us to him right now or..." She held up her knife and raised it to his neck.

The man looked surprised for a second, then his countenance quickly shifted to amusement. "Ah, young demigods. So rash. Well, if you must."

Briefly Leia wondered how he knew her name and that they were demigods, but she decided that if the man knew Hades he was probably expecting this type of stuff. She followed the man through a door and gasped.

As soon as she entered, she knew she was in the Underworld. Mist drifted around, occasionally blocking Leia from the rest of her friends. It was much colder than the lobby, and wails and cries came from her right. She couldn't see much because of the darkness, but a few fires allowed enough light to spot some leathery wings here and there.

"You said you wanted to see Hades?" The man led them to a riverbank and looked out over the murky water.

"Uh, yes?" Silena said. Bianca and Sammy nodded.

"Don't blame me if he's a little bit cranky. I didn't allow you to come here."

Well, actually... Leia wanted to say that he was the one who told them he knew Hades in the first place, but she decided to keep quiet.

The old man whistled loudly, the sound echoing out over the lake and ringing in Leia's ears. A few moments later, a ferry boat slowly made its way over to them, along with a giant pole leaning on the side attached to the chain. Sighing, the man held out his hand to Leia.

It took her some time to realize what he wanted. "Cash?" she exclaimed, frantically rummaging around in her pockets. She had to find five obols before the boat got to the shore.

"Yes." The man smiled, but there was practically no humor in his eyes. "Five obols. One obol per person--that's the usual price for the dead souls that come here."

"You're Charon," she said, cursing herself for not remembering earlier. "The old dude who ferries the dead across the River Styx."

"Ah, impressive knowledge." Charon nodded approvingly, then gazed at the boat again. "But that won't help you get across."

"Guys, you have any obols?" Leia turned to her friends, desperately hoping. All four of them came up empty.

Her heart sank. "You sure you won't let us go for free?" she asked, looking up at Charon. To her despair, he shook his head.

"No pay is worse than no pay raise. I asked Hades a few millennia ago, and he denied me even a few obols up! Why won't the dead just give me a higher pay?"

"Well, uh, how do we get across?" she asked.

"I guess you can't. Don't worry. Some of the dead here have been waiting much longer than you."

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:25 am
Mea wrote a review...

Hey there! I saw this lurking at the back of the Green Room, and, well, I can't resist Percy Jackson fanfiction. So, let's get started! I apologize in advance if I give advice that just doesn't apply because I haven't read the previous parts.

This is a bit of a short chapter, and I feel like the scene ends a little too soon. I feel like it would be better if they just worked through the issue in this chapter, rather than having a chapter break. All you did was introduce the problem in this chapter, but not close enough to the end to have it function as a cliffhanger. This means that it feels like the chapter tells half a "story," which is usually not what you're going for.

Other than that, I didn't see that much to comment on.

Something that I did catch was that I don't understand why it took Leia by surprise that the man knew Annabeth and Percy. I mean, surely she knows that they've gotten around and met lots of people - and wouldn't they have probably told her stories about when they came here in the first book? (Especially since it was the time they were just getting to know each other - parents tend to tell stories like that.) This may not apply, though, because I kind of feel like from the context Annabeth and Percy might be missing or dead or otherwise not in her life.

The other main thing I thought was strange was that the price was five obols. I'm pretty sure that in the books, they used drachmas, and I'm not sure why here it's obols.

And I know this hasn't really been that helpful of a review, but I can't think of much else to say - it flowed well overall, and was quite well-written. So I'll leave it here. Good luck with the rest of it!

erilea says...

1. She didn't know that the guy was Charon, and she was surprised that he even knew who he was.
2. I thought that when the Greeks buried the dead, they put an oboe in the mouth of the corpse so that they could pay Charon in the afterlife. I might be wrong, though.

Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:17 am
Evander wrote a review...

Hey, Artemis! As I said in an earlier review, I've only read chapters here and there so let me know if some of the things in these reviews don't apply to the story!

The biggest thing that I noticed when reading over this is that the cast feels a bit too large for the storytelling at hand. It's also something that I had trouble with in Heroes of Olympus. There were so many main characters that it got a bit hard to remember who was where and what was going on with each of them. While they were all important, they all managed to escape my mind when not on scene. The same thing goes for with the main cast of five. Some of them are mentioned all of the time and then the rest are pushed into the background, still there, but mentioned as a surprise. Like they're trying to fit a quota of some kind. Take with this information what you will, but there basically has to be a balance of some kind when writing casts of large characters.

From what I can see here, what makes Leia special is that she's the viewpoint character and speaks for the group. Like the unofficial leader -- spokesperson, almost. With Festus, the most prominent thing about him this chapter is that he seemed to take over as the leader with the ordering. While I might be wrong on that front, that's still how he was portrayed. With Silena, she's quick to violence and named after a traitor, which must sting. However with Bianca and Sammy, they're only mentioned once by name in this entire chapter. Which also must sting, if they ever happened to come across this. :P

There has to be something else larger with these characters that they interact more, that they have more agency than just one line. If what I'm saying makes any sense.

So I'm aware that I mentioned this last review and it might just be because I'm jumping in and out of chapters without much consistency, but I thought that Charon accepted golden drachmas and not just obols. Reading through his wikipedia page, yes he did take obols from the mouth of the dead person back in ye olde days, it's clear that when Percy and Annabeth came around, he did accept American currency and drachmas. Was there some sort of shift that I didn't catch? I'm a bit confused by the godly economy after all. :D After all, I'm merely a mortal.

While I do tend to talk about this a lot in my reviews, it would help the story a bit more with a bit more character detail. While the reader does not need to have full fledged descriptions of their face every chapter, it's good to have distinguishing characteristics and noticeable features that are mentioned in order to bind the story and the characters together. (From what I can remember in Harry Potter, his messy hair -- and of course his lightning bolt scar -- were brought up frequently enough that it's what we associated with him. The same with Hermione's love of knowledge and Ron's older siblings. It doesn't always have to be a physical characteristic, it can just be something about the character in order to give them a more varied personality.)

This is also another thing that I think I brought up, but why is Leia ignorant of her parents' adventures? Did they just never tell her? While the memories were horrific, it wouldn't make sense to throw her into the demigod world without a working knowledge about how it went. Percy also sounds like the type of person that would recite the story about his life as a bedtime story to his kid, just so he wouldn't have to read a book, so :P

I really did like Leia's inner thoughts in this chapter, though! It really did bring out a side to her character that is reminiscent of her father, which is nice to stumble upon when reading. So, I do hope that you'll keep on writing!

~Adrian, Knight of RED

The most important service rendered by the press and the magazines is that of educating people to approach printed matter with distrust.
— Samuel Butler