z

Young Writers Society


12+

Trivial Things

by Lumos


I stood by the graveside. We were burying Uncle Eddy. Again.

A cool fall freeze kissed my face and I shifted my feet, rubbing my arms trying to stay warm. The group that had congregated around the burial site shifted restlessly and watched the casket with suspicion, breath held and fingers crossed this would be the last time.

A faint knock sounded from the casket and I stifled an annoyed groan. Others around me huffed with annoyance.

The funeral director unlatched the casket and propped the top open and Uncle Eddy sprung up, gulping air as if he just had the wind knocked out of him.

His face and blue eyes were pale, like death, the same shade as his gray hair, but he wore a huge sheepish grin on his face. He gazed at everybody who'd come to see him buried - hopefully for the last time.

"This is the last time I swear," Uncle Eddy said.

This was Uncle Eddy's eighth funeral. When a wizard dies they can't really die until all their misdeeds are fixed and any loose ends tied. Uncle Eddy was notorious for forgetting, so for the past few weeks, he believed he had all his business in order, but as soon as the casket was ready to be lowered in the ground, he would remember something else and the funeral would be postponed.

Last time he'd forgotten to give his cat, Muffins, her favorite toy, which he kept up on the TV stand for special occasions. He claimed that nobody would know it's her favorite toy and it would probably end up getting thrown out and he just couldn't stand to do that to his poor little Muffins.

"I can see that you all seem a bit... irked, but I've forgotten-" he glanced around, searching the crowd. His gaze met mine and he perked up. "Allie! Just who I needed. Ok, listen closely dear, this is very important. There’s a letter hidden in the third book to the left located on the second to top bookshelf in my bedroom. Please bring me that letter.” He paused, rubbing his chin in thought. “I also think I left the oven on. Do you mind checking that?”

“Of course, Uncle Eddy,” I replied. As the funeral director offered to take everybody back to the funeral home for the time being, I made the twenty minute drive to Uncle Eddy’s house, rolling my eyes when I found the door unlocked. Probably another thing he forgot to do.

Following his directions, I checked the oven (which was still on) and retrieved the letter. I glanced around at the cluttered room. Books were shoved into every corner and when the shelves with them, there were more stacked on the floor.

Turning toward the door, I stumbled over a stack of books, sending them flying into a scattered mess with a loud thud. I cringed and bent to pick them up. Uncle Eddy had so many bookshelves, it took me twenty minutes just to find the correct one.

By the time I made it back to the funeral home, half of the crowd had already cleared out. Uncle Eddy was chatting with a middle aged woman with a black floppy hat.

“Ah, Allie!” he said, noticing me. “Did you get it?”

“Yes, Uncle Eddy. I also turned your oven off.”

I handed him the letter. He turned it over in his hands, pondering, before calling out, “Margarete?”

A petite old woman, face wrinkled with age and a large pair of reading glasses stepped forward. “Yes, Ed?”

“This is for you.” He handed her the envelope and began rummaging around his pockets. “Hmm, there was one more thing… Ah, yes here we go. Allie, dear, where did you go?”

“Right here, Uncle Eddy.” I stepped forward and he held out his hand, fist side up.

“I believe this is yours.” He opened a fist, revealing a small heart shaped locket.

My eyes light up. “I thought I had lost that! It was from my great grandmother Gladys. Thanks, Uncle Eddy!”

“Yes, yes, of course. I found it a few months ago and ah, well, forgot about it… Anyway, I believe that’s it… Time for me to go.”

We took turns wishing him a final farewell for the ninth time, and when he laid down for the last time, we stood in silence for a long moment until the funeral director gently announced we would make our way back to the cemetery.

An hour later, we gathered around the graveside again, shivering in our coats, breath held as the casket was slowly lowered in the ground and the funeral director began pouring dirt in the hole.

Only when the casket was finally buried did I take a deep, shaky breath. Uncle Eddy was gone, and I didn’t bother to wipe the tears that escaped.

I clutched the locket Uncle Eddy had found and turned to leave. On my way to the car, I ran into Margarete.

“Do you know what was in the envelope? Old coupons and a note that read: Margarete, I’m sorry I stole your coupons. I would have given the originals back, but they were expired, so here are some new ones. I hope that’s alright. Love, Ed.” She sniffled, adjusting her glasses. “I don’t know why he worries about such things.”

I gave a small smile. “Uncle Eddy always had a quirk for the trivial things.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
373 Reviews


Points: 46306
Reviews: 373

Donate
Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:06 am
View Likes
PrincessInk wrote a review...



Hey Lumos! I read it a little while back and liked it, so I'm back with a review :)

I thought it was really interesting, the way that wizards don't die till they've got everything they need settled. And the way they get up from the coffin because they realize they haven't quite done it yet. It'd be perfectly all right if the wizard was meticulous, but, well, it must get a little wearying for a wizard like Uncle Eddy--maybe it might take the little edge out of the sadness because the people around him will be like, "Oh, not *again*!"

The opening was grabbing. I felt as though the "Again" part was where it really caught my attention. It made me ask "Why?". Why did he need to be buried again? And how many times had he been buried? I remember when I first read it, it made me think of cats and their nine lives :p And "Again" sounded as the MC was exasperated, which was true, indeed.

Along the way I was half expecting that in the end, that maybe Uncle Eddy would spring up from his coffin again and make everyone sigh all over again. The ending would sort of be the new beginning. Or something like that. I'm just including this because maybe it'd be hopefully useful to present alternate possibilities--when you write, you want to consider many possibilities and pick the one that suits your story best. I also liked *this* ending though. It showed a lot of Uncle Eddy's character, or how he bothered about those little things and maybe not as much of the big things. Keeping the oven on could be a big risk for fire!!

I see that this is a flash fiction so maybe my only other suggestion would be to take a very close look at it and see if you can trim away any unnecessary words. Brevity is very important in flash fiction--I've encountered writing advice that suggests me to cut a word if it's superfluous and doesn't add to the story.

Best of luck with future edits with your story! Hopefully this helped you think of how to improve it :D

-Ink




Lumos says...


Thanks, PrincessInk! I didn't think of the cats and their nine lives thing hah

Also, thanks for pointing out different endings - I didn't think about that!



User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 200
Reviews: 5

Donate
Thu May 31, 2018 5:41 pm
View Likes
SimpleBicycle wrote a review...



This is such a great concept! Someone "dying" and then waking up so many times that the funeral-goers are exasperated--I thought that was funny. You do a great job of telling the readers everything they need to know right off the bat: There's been eight funerals because he's a wizard and can't leave unfinished business. That's all the info we really need, and you don't spend any time over-explaining the backstory. Well done!
Uncle Eddy has a nice, specific personality too. Just from this, he seems like a good-natured and scatterbrained kind of guy. Good job! Developing a strong personality in such a short story can be a challenge.

A few nitpicky things: Some of your sentences were a little weird and threw me off. I had to reread a few times to understand what you meant. This sentence: "There’s a letter hidden in the third book to the left located on the second to top bookshelf in my bedroom."
I think it's too much information in one sentence. I got whiplash trying to picture it all. I would suggest breaking it up into multiple sentences, or streamlining the instructions so they're simpler.
A good way to check the flow of things is to read it out loud (or mutter it under your breath). If you get tripped up, rewrite it so it flows better!

All in all, I thought this was a great little short story. It's got a funny charm about it and it makes me want to know more about Uncle Eddy. Great job!




Lumos says...


Thanks so much, SimpleBicycle! :D




There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum.
— Arthur C. Clarke