z

Young Writers Society


12+

0 Prologue between the click of a light and the start of a dream

by Lorelie


My Dear,

I must apologize, first of all, for my behaviour last afternoon. I think I owe you an explanation about Lu’cindy. I don’t think you’re going to forgive me after it, but at least, you’ll get to know about a different person I was (and still am deep within) but which you were never aware of.

I, too, was in love once. Yes, love isn’t only for some, and neither of us were the first to feel unique in this world. As I turned to twelve, I began to notice I was getting less and less friends of my age (they were either two less or four more years older than me). And when there was someone of the right age in front, they were either on their phone or looking somewhere behind me. One night I dreamt of mind-bending machines that looked just like their mobile phones. The next night I was googling “mind games using phone”. The next thing I remember is reading an article on the side effects of “the introduction of smartphones on mass society”. Boring, you say? Not at all, but if you ask me, I couldn’t find out what damn thing would that mean to me. It was then that I found the ad.

***

“Protect yourself from unwanted friendships”. The website was the thing to better “come to know about” the people you “request friendship” from. This was fascinanting – I didn’t see how I could apply this to my social networking (slow) life, though. Instead I thought of it as a database for real world relationships. So I signed up.

It actually worked as an accurate friendship engine”. Let me explain, you searched for the name of someone you wanted to meet. You could then look up all kinds of things about them, especially a detailed list of things you should watch out for, as they happened to that person in the past. For example, you could easily know how many people they had fooled, if they ever peed on the bed and there was even this special section for “secrets she would never tell you”. Does it sound hard to you that one would ever post anything of this kind on their profile? Truth is, as I found out later, they never did. The people around them, even their most trusted friends, would be the ones to write those profiles. You know, for “social” solidarity (“for an informed friend choice” was their motto). One day I cracked out the system and managed to access my profile. Not only was I surprised at the amount of private episodes shared in my vicinity region-locked network, there were a whole bunch of lies there. And I had an average of one post a week, even on days I practically didn’t leave home except for buying some bread (I wasn’t that much of a talkable guy those days).

So the immediate next thing I did was searching for similar like-sort and friend-score profile. That was how I first came to meet Lu’cindy.

One day I decided to tell her. She was dumbstruck. I said I wanted to help her. She didn’t trust me. She thought I was like everyone else.

***

Thirteen years later, my birthday’s eve. It was raining, and there I was, at my seventh floor bedroom, watching the thousand drippings washing away over the streets. A funny old man was trying to open his umbrella, over there two guys were running like kids next to the river, a little girl was crouching under a balcony, a lonely man was strolling down the coastline and a teenage couple was hiding in the bandstand doing whatever teenage couples do when left alone. You were that little girl.

The next day I sold the apartment. They had been trying to get it from me for years. Real estate speculation, I guess. There were these abandoned fields out in the woods, and a good “budget” for redevelopment projects in the area. I settled at an old chateau not very far away, with my satellite phone, the portable computer and just my essentials. We started off as a shelter for the abandoned victims of our eugenic society, but then we had to use the land to sustain ourselves, and it was then that we became one of the main biofood producers, quite an annoyance for the largest supermarket chains. Those were hardtimes, so we founded the Tree Village Association as you know it, inviting old and vintage farmers to emulate our simple structure: Foster, Tender, Reproduce. At some point, we were having both children being “delivered” to us as older ones longed to join us in our multiple city campaigns.

***

Seven years later, I was working on a new weapon against the system. “Final Straw” was a game where you gave up your regular city life, with its boring days and shameful nights, to gather supporters for a peaceful revolution.

There were a bunch of social mechanics involved, but I was rather enjoying the sound engineering work. I remember uniting all our efforts in a good OST. The big corporations were putting some pressure on the authorities, so I was forced to move back to the city. I couldn’t leave you though. You were thirteen. Later on I found out they were actually looking for something inside the music tracks.

We caught the first train to the city the following morning. You were lucky enough for the crew to sing you “Happy Birthday”. You’ve always been the youngest sister, though you were the first to come. You were having your first teenage pains. I was feeling less and less able to help you. I couldn’t leave you though. Not then.

***

Haven’t we yet arrived the city, the media were already slandering us. As the Big C’s failed to succeed, they tried to turn everyone against us. Special reports told stories of extortion, abduction and exploitation. People nowadays won’t believe those, hopefully. I was worried instead with your condition. The city lights, noises and airs were heavily affecting you. Somehow I worried your memories were taking their toll on you, though you’d already forgotten everything. After the episode at the shopping mall, you were staying at the hospital while I wondered through the Main Square. Among the “prophets” of alien abduction and conspiracy, a bloke was claiming another type of mind control. He said our system was splitting up and manipulating people at clock speed with the aid of media. Maybe it doesn’t make sense now, but right then I was amazed by him. Later on I found out he was that type of lawyer whose ideals prevent him from working to anyone, hence the perfect partner for my little revenge.

You met Loco at the hospital, but you’ve never really understood him like I did. And I think it was then that I began to notice how different you’ve became.

***

With the media on my back publicising me as “The False Haxor” and thegame OST as the “bug” who would “infect dust mites” and “affect the way people think” Loco and I focused on submitting the charge. You took your time, but I think you came to accept the way they had merged super market security with social “networking” benefits. You stopped supporting me, though, soon after we turned up the media against them. Please understand though, there was no way we could have done it. They’re cruel worlds those of the city.

Not less important, but still conditioned by the first achievement, was the memorable willingness of Lu’cindy to give her testimony on the trial. Twenty years after our first met she not only forgave me, she even apologised for everything. We fell in love on that moment, and I know we owe it a lot to you that I never gave up. You may be jealous, or just don’t like her at all, but I know in my heart that when you come to know her you’ll make good friends. She’s

***

Oops, it seems I fell asleep. Okay, I just wanted you to know I’m going to pass some days at Lu’cindy’s, giving you some time to think. Maybe not the right time or way to tell you our story, but I just feel that in those moments you may risk everything and forget all about the most important ones. I just wanted to make up for it with this letter… You know how I’ve always loved you…

Take care,

Seaborn


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:18 pm
Carlito wrote a review...



Hello! I saw the 2nd chapter in the green room so I thought I'd come back to the beginning and read the rest of this!

I'll start off by saying I'm a little biased against prologues and I typically feel they aren't necessary to the success of the story.

I have mixed feelings about this prologue. I think the format is really interesting. One of my favorite books (Stolen by Lucy Christopher) was written like this - a letter to someone (the whole book is a letter). The 2nd person tense threw me a little at first until I remembered that this is a letter. I'm curious to read on because I'm wondering if the whole thing will be told this way.

What I'm not a fan of, is that to me, it felt really scrambled. I've been taught that for each chapter (or section, if the book isn't broken into chapters) should be able to be summarized in one sentence. We're talking main plot point. If you can't write a sentence to summarize the main plot point, you have a problem because nothing is happening. If you can't do it in one sentence, you have a problem because too much is happening. To me, so much is mentioned in this opening that I'm not sure what sentence I would write. I remember so little of it, and I just read it. The only thing that stood out to me was that it's written as a letter.

So, what can you do?

First, I would think about whether or not the prologue is critical to the success of the story. Pretend the prologue is not there and read over the story (or think about where the plot is going). Will something be missing or will some aspect of the plot no longer work or make sense if the prologue is not there? If the answer is no, then you probably don't need the prologue. If the answer is yes, then you might need it.

If you decide you need it, I would think about the main idea or the main point you want to get across. Focus on that. What are the details that are needed in order to get that idea or point across. What absolutely has to be here in order for that to work? If it's not critical to the goal of the prologue, then it probably doesn't need to be here. (But save it somewhere because it might be able to fit in somewhere else in the story.)

Remember that mystery is your friend. Don't give it all away in the prologue. I need an incentive or a reason to want to keep reading. I want to solve the puzzle and figure these characters out. Remember that showing is your friend. It's usually more fun to read, and I want to see and feel right alongside your characters.

I'll leave things here for now, but if there is anything else you would like feedback about, please let me know! And if you have any questions or if anything I said was confusing, please let me know! :)




User avatar


Points: 424
Reviews: 4

Donate
Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:25 am
TalesOFaMadman wrote a review...



I like how you put it in a letter format. It's interesting to read, but I have to agree with Cody. You have to paint them a picture not tell them. I like how the brother speaks, but he should explain more about what's happening. I was kinda lost. This is my third review that's why it's so short and not so good.




User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 879
Reviews: 12

Donate
Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:59 am
Velvet0Alchemy wrote a review...



I'm not sure what's going on here. Something about a social revolution? It seems interesting, but it's hard to read. It seems almost like a lecture, and it's hard to keep focused.

I like the language you use; it's very elegant and the brotherly love flows out everywhere. Your character seems very well thought out, and it gives a good idea of the backstory. However, there's a lot of information here. There's so much information, it's hard to take in. Prologues aren't usually a good idea; readers won't remember everything. It's usually better to jump right into the story, giving the reader little bits as they go through your book. They'll be curious to know what's going on, why this and this happened, etc. I suggest you keep this, but try and figure out how to work it in the main narrative.

Other than that, there's only a few grammatical errors. You've got a lot of interesting material here, keep it up!




Lorelie says...


Please PM me the grammatical errors you found.



User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 1025
Reviews: 53

Donate
Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:54 am
roeckercody wrote a review...



Okay, the title for this is actually awesome. And I enjoy it, although I don't exactly understand its relevance to the story.

I like that you started this out-- and finished it that way I guess-- as a letter. I'll be honest, there were moments that it stopped sounding like a letter. The fact that it was excuses your telling and not showing. (It's always better to show your reader whats happening, describe using 'clenched fists' for anger and stuff of that sort.) It's more difficult in letter format to succeed with that, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and not talk about it any longer.

I found myself confused. I don't think it was ever clear to me what this society was. I am still confused and I reread it to clarify. You have a good concept but I just don't exactly understand everything that is going on.

There is just so much going on, and I think that muddles this story. It's not bad but it isn't exactly good either. This is hindered by too much information and muddled descriptions.
I think you should go back through this and edit it (even if you already have once) I think it could get a lot better. I like it, but I want more from it, I want to push your capabilities.

Your concepts are fantastic though.

Another thing, you need to work on using the wrong tense for words, I'm pretty sure I noticed it more than three times where you used was instead of were or something of that sort. A quick edit should fix that. Read things out loud. It really, really helps.

I wish you luck! Please let me know if you write more, or if you edit this piece because I think it has a lot of potential!
Sorry for being so harsh. I believe in you! Good luck!
Keep Writing!
-Cody





Hi everyone who clicks on my profile!...Um, not quite sure what else to do here. Yup, definitely new at this! XD
— Magebird