z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Blade Chronicles Book 1: Blades and Humans -Prologue

by LordZeus


It is the year 2115, where the world is struggling to recover from recent disastrous events. The first of these was the devasting Third World War (2069-2077). This was fought between the USA and China, the world's two superpowers. This caused death, destruction, and social, economic and political crises. 

After the War came the 'Age of Chaos' (2078-2085). Most countries faced rebellion, or even full scale civil war, caused by groups who wanted to take advantage of the critical situation the countries were in. After this, the political map of the world was highly different than before. New leaders were in charge in most countries, New countries were formed and other countries had merged. However, after this, the atmosphere started to settle, and no more major political events took place. Unfortunately, a disaster, even worse than World War III or the Age of Chaos was about to take place. 

Over the course of the war and the decades before it, due to the production of nuclear weapons and the use of nuclear energy, along with a multiplied factory production in most countries of the world, pollution on earth, especially in the war zones and areas where arms were manufactured on a large scale, had increased to critical proportions. New diseases were now affecting the human race, more lethal than had been experienced before.Once fertile land was rendered sterile,  but worse things were to come.

In 2087, the worst consequence of the pollution was felt across the globe. Pregnant mothers began to be affected. While the mothers were largely unaffected, large numbers of children across the world were born hideously deformed. In order to save their lives, the children were forced to undergo a dangerous operation at a very early ages. Not all survived it. Besides this, the world's weather pattern began to change drastically, with violent weather affecting many parts of the planet. The governments and scientists of the time met together  and declared a global emergency in the same year. This age of Pollution was referred to as 'The Toxic Age', a term coined by pollution scientists in the USA.

As the world continued to suffer from the pollution, the governments and scientists  of the world feared that the pollution would only increase, causing more lethal conditions, in which the human race would not be able to survive. Fearing the loss of civilisation and all that humans had built up over thousands of years, the scientists of the world came together to find a solution. They all agreed that what was to come would destroy the human race, and there would be no way to save humanity. But they didn't want civilisation, science, and culture, which had been built up by humans over eons to die with the human race. Thus, in the year 2089, they decided upon what they considered the only thing that could possibly save civilisation, which was adopted by all the countries in the UN. 

From that year onwards, all children born deformed were not operated upon to make them like normal humans, but to be made better. These children would be the forebears of a new race, which would replace humans when they died out, and carry on civilisation. This new race was to be called Homo Novus, with the nickname of Blades, as they were supposed to be able to cut through any situation that arose. Blades were made stronger, faster and with far better immune systems than humans, and they were made with much more powerful senses and abilities. With the goal of making more Blades, from then on, women were encouraged by the governments to have children as, if they were born normal, they would go towards making up for the vast loss in human life, and if they were born deformed, they would become part of the new race. 

But an event that would change the circumstances entirely was about to occur. In 2109, a scientist in China invented a machine that drew pollution out of the atmosphere and ground. These were used in vast quantities all over the world, and by 2111, the emergency was called off, as most of the pollution had been taken out of the atmosphere. 

But this left the Blades. They had been made for a reason which no longer existed. The scientists and governments left them high and dry with no aid, and without supervision. They felt that they did not require Blades anymore. Most Humans had always feared and detested Blades, whom they considered as freaks who didn't deserve to live. And now the government had removed their protection of the Blades. The Blades had no warm feelings for humanity either, and most of them considered themselves superior to humans, whom they believed were only fit to serve Blades as slaves. This was a critical time for the planet. Two races stood, one physically stronger and one numerically stronger. The two were each opposing the other, and of this situation, there were only two possible outcomes- Blades and Humans could learn to co-exist, or one could annihilate the other...


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:58 am
View Likes
Carlito wrote a review...



Hello! Review day got really busy for me there at the end, so I apologize that I'm just now getting to this!

I'm generally not a big fan of prologues, and I'm really not jumping out of my seat with this one. Why? Nothing happened. The entire prologue is an info-dump, meaning it's a large amount of text that explains the background story or some aspect of the world. People typically don't like reading info-dumps because they're boring.

Now I know it's tempting to start off this way. You've set up a really interesting world and there are a lot of parts to what's going on. So I get that it feels logical to set everything up for the reader right at the beginning so the reader understands everything. But if I were picking up this book in the library or the book store, what incentive do I have to read on? Right now, all I know is what happened and I have some clues about what's going to happen from here. But I know nothing about who my main players are or really anything about the plot other than the back story.

When I start a book, I like to be thrown right into the action. I want the opening scene to introduce me to some of the story's main players, and I want some action. That doesn't mean there needs to be a giant fight or an explosion or something crazy. I want a scene that shows who the characters are by putting them in an interesting situation that gets us right into the plot.

All of this information is interesting, and I would save it in an "info" document or something, but I wouldn't start the book off this way. I would leave some mystery and suspense at the beginning (those are your friends at the beginning of a novel because it makes people want to read on!) and then reveal some of this back story and info later on in the book. When you reveal it, to make it not an info dump, try not to do it all at once. So many a little piece can be in scene x, and then you can drop a different little piece in scene y, and then another piece can be in scene z, etc. I personally love puzzle pieces in novels and having to think (but not too hard :p) about the world and the situation and what's going on.

I'm going to leave things there for now, but I'll definitely continue reading what you have posted!! :) Let me know if you have any questions or if anything I said was confusing!




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 817
Reviews: 6

Donate
Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:25 am
emilycaroleena wrote a review...



Hi! I haven't read some of the other reviews, so I might repeat some things. Okay so the Prologue is awesome, I really like the feel of this. It's really original. I was confused at first of the perspective at first, but I get that it has narrative feel to it. Like a intro to a movie. The Prologue is a little long for my taste and it has A LOT of information, so maybe you can find a way to simplify it. Other then that the grammar, the punctuation and the story line is great. Good luck on the rest of you story! :)




LordZeus says...


Thx! please continue to read my work! I will keep an eye out for yours!



User avatar
324 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 324

Donate
Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:43 pm
Evander wrote a review...



Hey! I have not read the reviews, so I’m sorry if any feedback has already been stated.
Since I see that this has a prologue, I’ll be talking mostly about that. So, most readers tend to skip past prologues. It’s an unfortunate truth, but it happens a lot. I’ll just say something right here: prologues generally should not be used for just facts and backstory. Prologues are not intended to be the boring pages you skip over in attempt to get to chapter one. Filling them with important backstory just means that the reader might be missing something crucial later on. (The backstory could be added in, in tidbits through the first few chapters or over the course of the novel.) To prologue or not to prologue This article explains my stance on prologues a bit more.

This new race was to be called Homo Novus,

Clever. “Same new world order.”

Most Humans had always feared and detested Blades, whom they considered as freaks who didn't deserve to live.

The Blades were made to be superior and to survive. I’m certain that there would still be a place in society for them. I’m also not sure why all humans would shun them, unless they looked rather strange. And even then, it doesn’t seem to make much sense. Even if the governments and scientists had no ‘required’ use for them, they still have consciences and they exist and have thoughts. Surely some Blades learned to make their way in society.

Also, even though a scientist had made something that sucked all the pollution out of the air and ground, there is still the aftermath of pollution. There are still dead plants and ecosystems that will never quite be the same, extinct species that were crucial to survival, the air pollution affects honey bees and the honey bees are necessary to most every day diets. The planet is still in tatters, even if pollution had been sucked out of everything.

Also, where did the pollution go once sucked into the machine? Did the machine filter it so it came out as oxygen? Was it sent into space? Where did it all go? Also, how did it even work? Because if it also sucked stuff out of the ground, it must have been super powerful.

There are a few typos here and there, but it didn’t really take away from the prologue. In fact, I didn’t even notice it until my second reread.

This is a good premise to a book, though. I’d certainly read it depending on the execution. Be sure to go through it and think about all the science and engineering that would go into it. Also how the surgeries would work and how the surgeons felt about performing them. Not everyone lives in a hive-mind. Surely some people would disagree. Riots and such would happen. And since we have the internet, surely there would be blogs about it.

Anyway, just some things to think about.

Keep on writing!
~Adri




LordZeus says...


Alright just a couple of points which I guess I didn't say in the prologue. Yes, the world ecology was affected. you'll see what happens as the story progresses. The reason humans shunned them is because humans were scared of something which they're top scientists and even governments believed would eventually replace them. They were scared of what the blades represented. They were also afraid that they may try to take over from humans. The governments and scientists abandoned them because, now that they had no use for the blades, they applied themselves elsewhere. At this time, the governments are very corrupt and inept. And the world still is in tatters. There are still many problems. You will see that as the story progresses. And yes there were people who disagreed. I thought a lot about that sort of stuff. I'm informing as the story progresses.as to the machine? It filtered it into oxygen. And not all the pollution is gone. You'll see I said 'most' in the prologue. Some humans were sympathetic to the blades, but after the governments made free blades illegal, these people were discouraged from making their views public, as they may be accused of socialising with Blades, which is also illegal. Wow, I've already told you a lot. As I said, I promise all those things you said will become known as the story progresses.



LordZeus says...


Oh and thx for reviewing this, and I'm glad you like it!



User avatar
107 Reviews


Points: 402
Reviews: 107

Donate
Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:08 pm
Persistence wrote a review...



Hey, so you made several typos and errors, but I will not go too much into those. The reason for this is that I believe that this entire prologue is completely obsolete.

Yes, prologues can be used as windows to give the reader a glimpse into the backstory, but what you did was provide information (and a lot of it, too) that is better off being given as the story progresses. You do not even need to have a prologue, you can just jump straight into the action without one.

I know that you want to lay the foundations for your story, but what you did was simply tell what happened from the narrator's point of view. In doing this you are missing out on great opportunities for dialogue, content, character development and simply flow of the story in general. You gave out the premise, but you also gave out what the end will essentially be. You said it yourself, "there were only two possible outcomes".

Admittedly, the premise is really, really interesting and compelling, and you probably feel that giving it out straight away will attract readers, but I assure you, you can achieve an effect on a completely different scale if you get rid of this prologue, and integrate the backstory into any form of writing that includes it (the backstory) being told through the moving forward of the plot. It takes a lot more work, but the results are more than worth it.

I hope you take this advice into consideration when starting new stories later on.




LordZeus says...


Thx a ton, and I will.



User avatar
558 Reviews


Points: 1219
Reviews: 558

Donate
Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:30 pm
erilea says...



This was great! It helped with a lot of the understanding. Good job! ;)




User avatar
39 Reviews


Points: 2470
Reviews: 39

Donate
Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:06 pm
LordZeus says...



Sorry about the mistakes I made, it was due to autocorrect. Spade serve should be read as deserve, and to should blades should be to serve Blades. I really should have looked through it before publishing





Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto (I am a man, I don't consider anything human foreign to me)
— Terence