z

Young Writers Society


18+

Delta - 22.2

by Brigadier


Warning: This work has been rated 18+.

The look from Cab was one of both laughter and fear.  Within a few seconds he broke out in a fit of laughter on the sidewalk, leaning against the storefront window for some support.  Harding could admit that the idea was not the best he ever had.

In the past, when there had been attempts for Harding and Cabrini to work together, it wasn’t all bad.  It wasn’t like the things that would be happening if Cab and Harry were working together, which had over a ninety percent chance of ending in fire.  Harding and Cabrini just happened to get shot at a lot.  And stabbed.  And had rocks pelted at them.

Dangerous but it could be worse.

Cab got to a point where he could breathe again, gasping out, “You’re not joking.”

“That’s a brilliant deduction, Inspector Cabrini.  Perhaps you would also like to reveal that I have a third eye and a penis.”

“Let’s go and discuss this somewhere that just isn’t-”

“Here?”

The detective nodded to him, moving the both of them down the street to a small coffee shop.  Harding tried to read the name over the door, but it was in a script he didn’t recognize, indicative of this side of town.  The standard Federation English health evaluation sign inside of the door simply said “Joara’s Coffee”.  A close ceiling grabbed at the top of Harding’s hat as the pair slowly climbed down a set of steps and wandered into the main area.  This kind of art decoration was most certainly not Zinnian, or of any planetary culture that Jim had seen before.  A little hole in the wall that had its origins in an unknown hole of the universe – he would have to write this address down.

The small shop was empty outside of a few faint forms behind the counter.  Cab pulled him into a three-person cove booth in the corner and gave a small wave to a server.

“So, Harding, now that we’re in a confidential place, tell me more about Fitz and Harry’s crime ring.”

Jim removed his own hat, blinking his eyes as the room slowly came into full focus.  It was rather dimly lit with the hanging smell of a sweet incense which when combined with the smell of coffee and tea was surprisingly pleasant.  There was a single light hanging over their table.  He looked up to observe it, soon realizing that most of the lights in the shop were candles and not electric.

“Cab, there’s really not that much to tell about the case.”

“If there wasn’t that much to tell about the case, would you have suggested we work together?”  Cab waited for his answer, getting only the signal of silence and then continued.  “No.  I know things started when that Glenn person arrived and other people from her past.”

Glenn.

Of course, Cab would be smirking and spitting at the mention of Glenn Garner.  It was either attraction to the Federation Air Force officer from the Earth state of Texas.  Or hatred for the possibility that Cab might be getting slid down a spot now that Harry’s older friend had showed up.  But from the years of knowing Cabrini, Jim decided that it was probably going to be a bit of both.

“You don’t approve of Glenn?”  Jim let the statement trail off as a server brought over two cups of coffee, thanking them and waiting for the excuse Cab was going to come up with.

“He just seems a bit dangerous to be around the Agency and I don’t know why she’s not questioning his presence.”

“So are you worried about the danger he brings to the agency or just what danger he’ll bring to Harry?”

The glare that shot out from the other side of the rocking table was deserved.  Harding knew how much Cab and Harry depended on each other, how much their friendship had been built from Harry helping him get out of his past life.  But if that were the bond to be believed, there shouldn’t have been any worry over Harry’s friendship.  And Cab was right in the possibility that Glenn would bring danger to the agency.  Jim had already seen that from the attack that happened out on the street and he didn’t want to see what would happen if a spirit got inside.

“I am worried about the danger that he could cause, and I would think that you would be more on high alert.  Weren’t you standing there when that kid broke in and started shooting the place up?”

“I was.”

“Doesn’t it concern you slightly about his presence and how much Harry has warmed up to all of the people who have just magically appeared.  It took her over a year to ask Will out but now she’s just trusting everyone across the board.”

“I thought we came to talk about Fitz.”

The booth creaked as Cabrini laid back in it, mindlessly running his fingers through the light strands and sighing the entire time.  Obviously, he was concerned about the operations going on in the second floor offices.  Harding was concerned about what was happening too, especially with the rumor of his name tag being placed on one of the coveted offices.  When Harry moved in, she had taken Roth's office, leaving Marrow's and Luten's offices open for a senior detective from the first floor.  If he got involved in this case it might be what he needed to move into the spot.

"We are talking about Fitz by talking about a case connected to Fitz and then by default I'm allowed to ask about the people involved in the case."

His last words came out shaky again as Cab drummed his fingers upon the table.  Jim had only ever seen the man so worked up once before and those reasonings were more justified.

"Cab, of course all of these people have a worrying presence but we know Harry can take care of herself."

"Do we?"

"Of course we know what she can do when she's motivated enough.  Wasn't Vinconni enough proof of that for you?"

Cabrini's eyes flickered at the mention of 'Vinconni' and Jim was quickly realizing his mistake in mentioning that aspect.

"Vinconni?  What do you know about his death?"

A plan started to formulate in Harding's mind as the eye contact with Cabrini intensified.  He shouldn't have slipped in letting on that Harry was responsible for the death of the mobster, but Jim had assumed that Cab had been involved.  Cab was always involved when it was something to do with organized crime on that side of town.  Why would this hit have been different from any other?

"Oh, nothing really,"

"Did Harry kill him?"

As much as Jim tried to hide the answer from his face, his third eye moved to give away the slight detail.  The death had not yet been mentioned in the news and the only reason Harding knew was from a trip down to the morgue.  He was there to look at another case when the coroner brought the remains in, immediately spotting the handiwork on the body.  Jim had planned on confronting Harry but there hadn't been the right opportunity.

Cab leaned across the table while saying, "I'm going to ask you one more time.  Did Harry kill him?"

"I don't know but I believe that is the case."

"Then I'll ask this again.  How do you know about the death?"

Jim ran through the details in his mind once more before answering, recognizing how it sounded so much like an excuse.  Even if he did get promoted to the executive offices on the second floor, no one was going to let him in on details like this.  Harding didn't know what Cab expected him to know.

"Not through any of the agency staff.  I was down at the morgue looking for a life insurance claim that was referred to us as an independent party.  And when I was down there, they brought in his body."

Cab took out his notebook, jotting down a few lines before returning to the questioning.

"Why do you think that Harry was involved in this?"

Why did he think that Harry was involved?

There surely must have been a thousand people who could carve out a body like that.  And there surely must be hundreds of people who use that pattern of rope to slowly choke the life out of someone.  But there was one detail that Harding knew made it something Harry had done.

"The drowning."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:50 pm
BluesClues wrote a review...



I did not foresee the problem with Cab (Robe, right? just making sure I'm keeping up) and Harding working together being that they get shot at/stabbed/pelted with rocks. I mean, I'm sure there's witty banter that goes along with that, too, but I love that it's mostly just that they happen to get pelted with various projectiles more than usual when they work together.

“So, Harding, now that we’re in a confidential place, tell me more about Fitz and Harry’s crime ring.”


So does this mean the tables are turning and Harry's actually going to end up being a mob boss who's gotta be taken down? Because to be honest I could see that, just given her whole *gestures at everything about Harry.*

Except actually now that Harding's refusing to give Cab a straight answer to these questions about Vinconni, he's feeling suspicious to me again.

Unless it's just that he really doesn't want to let Cab know that Harry probably totally killed this guy. Except we've pretty much established that in this scene.

At the end of this bit, I think I'm still probably leaning toward Harry becoming a problem for the rest of the agency. That seems like it might be where we're headed at this point, with Harry accepting these potential bad influences without question - although at the same time, I could see everyone being like, "That Harry, just trusting Glenn all of a sudden with no reason!!! DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER" but then at the end of the story Harry totally turns the tables on Glenn and whoever else and is like "you idiots I obviously knew all along that he was a problem, I just let him in so I could keep an eye on him."




User avatar
134 Reviews


Points: 88
Reviews: 134

Donate
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:46 am
FruityBickel wrote a review...



JIMMY MY BOY I WAS STARTING TO LIKE YOU UNTIL YOU RATTED HARRY OUT YOU LITTLE WEASEL.

Ahem.

*slicks back hair*

Anyway.

Overall, this chapter's about the same as the last one, though I have a feeling now that Jimmy's a bit more sinister than everyone thinks he is. But the characterization and pacing are both consistent and well written and the chapter again advances the plot, so now we're sort of reaching the second act or even building to the climax.

I miss my girl Harry tho.

Good job as always as we get into the nitty gritty. See you next chapter,

LordStar




User avatar
415 Reviews


Points: 31520
Reviews: 415

Donate
Sun May 05, 2019 6:28 am
keystrings wrote a review...



Meant to get to this yesterday, but at least I'm determined to get finally get through these chapters. And hopefully, I'll hold myself accountable and actually keep up with this in some sort of capacity.

Yes to the friendship between Robe and Harding. I need to talk more about this. For Robe and for pretty much everyone else who works under him or Harry, there has to be someone who's somewhat stable and in control enough to do their job without mass murdering. In this case, it's Jim, who I already appreciate, as he again seems to be a decently well-rounded guy who's happily with someone and could hopefully shed some light on how relationships can work and how one can go through life in a healthy way of sorts? The reader can find out about that side of things later.

Currently, though, Harding acts like the exact kind of person one would want as an investigator. It's yet to be known if he wants to be that, however, since the whole chasing down jewelry-infested cats can't be too nice of a thing. Regardless of one's opinion of cats.

The plot is moving along nicely here - with the whole what could the major crime family be up to, and if it will finally come out that Harry had been involved with Fitz and Vinconni, wow, that a was piece way back in this story! Nearly forgot about that myself, so I peeked back at the old chapters to remember what happened there. That's some inquisitive investigative work by Harding here, to let the truth to Robe out to perhaps test the waters in what is going to happen from here? Very curious stuff.

How can I forget the mention of Glenn here, which I can only imagine will lead to some interesting interactions between him and Robe in the future.

This is as entertaining as ever, lots of nice details, a neat plot line, and some cool characters, and I'm looking forward to the next part of this.





I feel like it will be absolute hotdog water, but oh well. It's just a draft.
— Charm