z

Young Writers Society


12+ Mature Content

This is my depression

by LonelyStar


Somewhere in the corner of my mind is a little girl.

She is small, she is pale, and her body is covered in cuts.

Somewhere in the corner of my mind is a little girl.

She is weak, she is scared, and she can't remember the last time she smiled.

In the corner of my mind lies a girl who has given up.

She has fought insecurities, anxiety, and any other bully that came her way. 

Now she barely has the strength to wake up in the morning.

Somewhere in the corner of my mind is a little girl.

She is sad, she is broken, and she doesn't want to keep living.

Somewhere in the corner of my mind is a little girl.

She is all alone, she feels so much pain, and cutting just isn't enough.

In the corner of my mind lies a girl that is so far gone, nothing but a shadow remains.

There is a little girl in the corner of my mind that has tried so hard to only be pushed down again and again.

She cries herself to sleep every night, only to fake a smile everyday.

Somewhere in the corner of my mind is a little girl and she is my depression.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
55 Reviews


Points: 3562
Reviews: 55

Donate
Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:10 pm
Silberfee wrote a review...



I like the repetition and consistent rhythm (apart from 'There is a little girl in the corner of my mind that has tried so hard to only be pushed down again and again' - you could use the word again once instead of twice )

it reinforces the unchanging mood that accompanies individuals who suffer from depression. The visual imagery also conveys how no one notices, or seems to care about the girl ('in the corner of my mind/ tried so hard,') and how it manifests the depression (so far gone,' )

To improve it maybe you could use more metaphors and other imagery (what does she hear, what does she see, what does she do every day? )




User avatar
17 Reviews


Points: 234
Reviews: 17

Donate
Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:35 am
thestraycat wrote a review...



Hi Lonely Star.

At first I want to compliment your work...it's very straight forward. You used words that literally described how a depressed person feels and does, and for me it's a good thing. Maybe you could add some imagery or metaphor, to add a little taste and depth to your poem. I also like the way you work with your lines, how you used "Somewhere in the corner of my mind is a little girl..." in repetition for you highlight the kind of emotion you want to impose and the emotion you want us to feel. Keep up the good work and I am looking forward for more of your writings.




User avatar
1274 Reviews


Points: 35799
Reviews: 1274

Donate
Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:00 am
View Likes
niteowl wrote a review...



Hi there LonelyStar and welcome to YWS! Niteowl here to review this poem.

I like the metaphor of the little girl. It kind of gives off the vibe that the depression is its own entity, at once separate from the speaker and part of them. I also like how there's hints to a larger story, of someone who has fought and fought but now feels faded and defeated. I can relate to that feeling, having had my own mental health issues.

That said, this piece falls into a lot of the common traps we fall into when people (and yes, I've done this myself) write about emotions in poems. It's easy to say "I feel sad/happy/in love". It's common in poems about depression to use images like slashed wrists and fake smiles. It's harder to use your own imagery to make the poem sound new and different. It's harder to show how "my depression" is different from "your depression" or what the reader's stock image of a depressed person might be. It's hard to get specific. But doing these hard things make a poem better.

If you want to leave this alone, as more of an emotional release, I understand. But thinking about stronger ways to show emotion is good when writing emotional poetry in the future. Here's some good articles about it:
Editing for Emotion
Emotional Poetry

In the corner of my mind lies a girl that is so far gone, nothing but a shadow remains.


To end on a positive note, I liked this line. I feel like it could be a powerful ending line if you wanted to revise this. Keep writing! :)





As if you were on fire from within. The moon lives in the lining of your skin.
— Pablo Neruda