z

Young Writers Society



two

by Liz


you leave me swimming in my own scattering confusion
with your
tanned waterfall of words
i have been slipping on your melting red ice
for pages and pages of days held underwater
amongst berry bronze lipstick, customised jeans, midnight black bras and inky bruises.
the life that aches until my mascara smudges like wine and coffee.

now you're [almost]
smiling at me in orange t-shirts, yet
frowning at me through liquorice glass windows.

half-cooked passionfruit soufflé hardly
stirs up any raisinsugarraisin idea of beautiful taste.
the wires i have to hack through to get to some
bleachedblonde, neonpinkeyelinered, stickyraspberrylipsticked figurine is ridiculous.
popcorn sticks to tangerine lips.

hey it's nauseating to think of where i'll be in two days' time, my soul creaking.
written: Tuesday 14th September 2004, 9:55pm.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
766 Reviews


Points: 650
Reviews: 766

Donate
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:58 pm
Brigadier wrote a review...



Hey there.

I skipped over reading a couple of these because I didn't like the feel to them. I see that you were deciding to go with a series that had titles counting down, and I guess it would mean more to me if I had known the reasoning. Titles hold a lot of emotion to the text and link into the bigger picture, so it's left somewhat lacking when there's no explanation of the series. There's a hipster vibe to the numbered titles and trying to keep a sort of series together, and there's also that feel extending to the writing that I've seen in your style.

I say hipster poetry because you seem to be another person who is a big fan of the pretty word choice, and the focus is majorly shifted to that. I do love word choice that has a lot of effort behind it but I really need to see it put into good execution. If you just have these words slapped onto a page and barely pieced together, they're not going to go anywhere. The reader isn't going to be the one reaching out, putting the pieces together and keeping the emotion rolling for themselves. Choose whatever words you like, but please choose them for the right reason.

And the word choice also gives off such a dramatic world view, where the speaker just thinks everything is going wrong for them. I can be sure that you were going for that but again, it's not speaking to the right part of the audience. It's just speaking to this focal group who might understand what's happening in this relation, but all I see is imagery focused on some pretty colors and plastic pop culture.

So uh sorry for that but I feel like there could be less going on in this poem.
Decide where you want it to go before you write it.

Happy revmo.
- lizz




Random avatar

Points: 1078
Reviews: 333

Donate
Sun May 08, 2005 2:24 am
emotion_less says...



I love the words you use in your poems... basically, I love your style of writing. Nice job, again!





Everything has a consequence and every consequence leads to death.
— kattee