z

Young Writers Society



Parisian Hourglass

by Liz


Grey grains of dehydrated sand in
the colossal hourglass slip
like dusty water to the bottom
and glint mockingly at me
as my eyes glare at the calendar.

I went completely, drily numb as I
half-listened to the vibrations of my
phone and the scent of music in the background.
Because her pincers sank into me
and my pincers sank into her

and futures clashed
and this grey sand was gathering
before we could catch up with it.

My shoulders tighten with red pain
from trying to carry this checked weight
uphill for hours whilst the grains
rush to the bottom of the hourglass.
They slip even faster than the invisible tears down my cheeks.
written: Thursday 12th August, 2004, 7:03pm.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1259 Reviews


Points: 18178
Reviews: 1259

Donate
Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:28 pm
Firestarter says...



Beautiful. Although, the third stanza leaves something to be desired after some mouth-watering lines.

The last line, while being great, is too long, I think it needs to be cut down or split.




User avatar
1258 Reviews


Points: 6090
Reviews: 1258

Donate
Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:16 am
Sam wrote a review...



Yeah, Liz, I have to agree with both of them. You're like the queen of analogies!

I have to say I liked the first and the last stanzas the best. You seem to be really good at that, with the endings. The middle parts were so-so, but like I said, the edges were the best parts.

'They slip even faster than the invisible tears down my cheeks.'- I think this was the best line. :D I think I'll remember that one for awhile.




User avatar
1274 Reviews


Points: 35774
Reviews: 1274

Donate
Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:38 pm
niteowl wrote a review...



It was really good, however, I have a couple things I'd like to point out.

and glint mockingly at me
as my eyes glare at the calendar


I think this would fit as its own sentence. So end the line before it with a period, and say "Glinting mockingly at me..."

I'm not sure if drily is a word. Is it dryly? Someone with a dictionary check this, please.

and futures dashed


I think it would be better if you took out the and.

I didn't really understand it, but it's still really cool. That's okay. Somehow, I get the feeling it wasn't meant to be completely understood.




User avatar
665 Reviews


Points: 6165
Reviews: 665

Donate
Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:19 pm
Chevy wrote a review...



I like how you put the exact time you completed it...I wish I could remember to that.

Well, the poem in general, for me atleast was hard to grasp...hard to really focus on. However, you used words beautifulyl and I must admit the poem flowed very well.





"The day, which was one of the first of spring, cheered even me by the loveliness of its sunshine and the balminess of the air. I felt emotions of gentleness and pleasure, that had long appeared dead, revive within me. Half surprised by the novelty of these sensations, I allowed myself to be borne away by them, and forgetting my solitude and deformity, dared to be happy."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein