The Separation (NaLu)

by Lightsong

How dare he? How dare he leave her alone? Of all the times he could have chosen to leave her, he picked the one when Fairy Tail was disbanded, when separations happened and everyone took different path from each other.

Ruination fell over the Fairy Tail hall for a second a time, and a town full of people had died because of the poisonous gas. Even when Fairy Tail won the war against the guild of demons, Tartarus, the damage done due to it was major and terrifying. Despite all of that, Natsu decided to leave her alone.

According to the letter he had left for her, he left her because he wanted to train himself to be stronger. This pursue of further training was not done for nothing; he had stated that he wanted to take revenge for his dead dragon father, Igneel to Acnologia, the dragon that had caused the miserable death. The dragon who mercilessly ripped Igneel’s body apart and shattered Natsu’s heart.

She understood that, she really did - she knew how it felt to know the death of your father - but why should he leave her? Why couldn’t he take her with him so that both of them could have company - Happy the Cat followed Natsu, but Lucy was sure Natsu wanted a human company as well - and both of them could work together as a team and be stronger together too. What was the harm in that?

Other than Natsu, she always spent time with Erza, Gray, and Wendy. They were a team. In the Grand Magic Game, they were the whole members of Fairy Tail A team, the five of them. But now each of them had different idea in mind after the separation; Erza had expressed her desire to help the demolition of all magic council members, thus helping rebuilding the council members; Gray had went for a training along with Juvia for the personal vendetta he had after the true death of his father; Wendy had accepted Cana’s offer to stay with her in the church cathedral. With all of them gone, Lucy was all by herself.

There was, of course, the dearest friend she had, Levy, who was the first person to ask Lucy about the novel Lucy was working on. Although Levy did not say it, Lucy knew Levy wanted to accompany Gajeel, for whatever it was Gajeel was planning to do.

On that matter regarding Gajeel, Lucy, being a curious one she was, and after having the suspicion, had pestered Levy whether Levy had a crush on Gajeel or not. Levy, after a while, said yes, and since she seemingly could not refrain any longer, continued saying she had kissed Gajeel when Gajeel was barely out of breath. Right then, Lucy understood Levy’s feeling, and was fine with Levy accompanying Gajeel.

But before she left, Levy left an advice: “Find him, Lucy. He might not know it, but he’s being awfully oblivious right now. Find him and tell him that. And tell him... what you really want to tell him.” A wink ended the advice.

Lucy took the advice without a second thought. When Natsu was gone, she understood now how important he was to her. She understood that she should realize this sooner, and not just had the feeling that she wanted Natsu to be with her. He was her savior and guidance, and most importantly, he was a friend she wanted to have. Even his annoying childish attitude had grown on her.

One year was a long time to wait for Natsu to come back. She did not have the immense patience needed for that. She was not the type to wait either. So she asked Macarov whether the guild insignia on Natsu’s arm would disappear when the guild was disbanded, and he said no, it would not, unless Natsu joined other guild.

It was a weird mechanism, but it would do good for Lucy’s plan. She went to the Blue Pegasus’s guild hall, and after being extremely pleasantly treated by the Trimen, asked Hibiki whether he could trace Natsu’s whereabout using the insignia on Natsu’s arm. Hibiki confirmed that he could, since the insignia still had magic in it, albeit the magic being very weak and insignificant. In fact, Hibiki said the insignia was designed to serve as a tracing point, as it was very difficult to detect or notice. He had known this much earlier, but said nothing due to being polite.

Knowing that wondering about the reason Fairy Tail used an insignia that could act as a tracing point would just waste her time, she asked for Hibiki’s help to locate Natsu’s whereabout. It took a few minutes for Hibiki to finish his searching using his advance Archive Magic, and they found out that the point on the map where Natsu was was on the forest area.

After gathering all the necessary information about Natsu’s location from Hibiki, she bid farewell, and when Hibiki asked why she did this, she replied: “I just have to, or else there would be a huge emptiness in my life.”

Lucy needed money, so she joined Sabretooth’s guild, after asking Yukino’s help for recommendation. The guild members easily accepted her after knowing Yukino’s high regard on Lucy. It was suitably awkward for Minerva to act around Lucy as both of them had bad history with each other, but Lucy quickly said she had forgiven Minerva, as Erza had briefed Lucy about the reason of Minerva’s evil acts.

Although she understood Minerva’s situation, Lucy said to Minerva she could not, and would not, forget what Minerva had done to her. She further said Minerva should not repeat the same mistakes she had done, not jut because they were not the right thing to do, but also because Minerva would lose her friends if she kept repeating him.

After three months working with Sabretooth (many things had happened since then; Sting’s confession and Lucy’s rejection, Yukino’s revelation about Angel being her sister, Sorano; and the entirely different atmosphere in Sabretooth), Lucy had enough money to start on a search for Natsu. She bid farewell to Sabretooth’s members, and promised Yukino she would come back, albeit in a different occasion.

When she was starting to leave Magnolia, she met Mirajane who was walking around with Laxus - both of them had their hands locked to each other. Lucy was thrilled to see Mirajane, and more when Mirajane told Lucy she was dating Laxus, with Laxus blushing hearing that. Lucy said it was nice thing to know, and not missing the chance, Laxus apologized for what he did to her during the Fairy Tail Game festival - as he had no chance to do that until now, and Lucy forgave him, giving the same warning she had given to Minerva to him.

After informing Mirajane she was going to start a journey to look for Natsu, Mirajane had a knowing smile, and wished good luck to Lucy. She was confident Lucy would find Natsu, and left an advice to Lucy: “When you find him, Lucy, remind him that he needs you greatly. He does not know it, and will not admit it, but it is very clear to everyone. Don’t let his obliviousness stop you from making him a better person, since you are the only one who can do that to him.”

A/N: This work won’t be finished. Firstly, I did this before I joined YWS, and had forgotten about it until now. While I see some potentials, I’m not greatly attached to the manga it’s based on currently. What do you think about this fanfic?

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:46 pm
Po5eidon wrote a review...

Hello Lightsong! It's Po5eidon here. I just want you to know that I don't mean any offence in this comment, so sorry if you find any part of it offending you, as it is not at all what I wanted to do. I just wanted to give you some advice as if you were going to continue it (Which, yes, I now that you aren't.)

This was an absoltely amazing piece of fan-fiction! I haven't watched fairy tail for a couple years now, to say the least, but I still know some things about it. I don't really like it nowadays (Sorry). This was amazing, in the way how Natsu was the reason for the entire story, yet he wasn't actually shown in any way, shape or form (Unless you count the part about him wanting revenge for Igneel's death) The fact that Natsu isn't there for the entire thing is both a good and (Sort of) bad point. You see, it is very interesting how you managed to create a story based off of him (Basically) without having him in it, although - like Mea said - You could include him in some sort of flashback, maybe seeing him at the battlefield, or at the guild hall, or something like that. You could also explain the characters a bit more, just for people who haven't read the manga, for example, you could say about how Lucy and Natsu first met, and how she loved his fire powers. You could say that Lexus had a spark of electricity that shocked Miriajane for a second when she told Lucy that they were going out together. I do wish that you would finish it though, because I could see the potential. Maybe you could watch the anime and base it off of that instead, as you might like it more. I shouldn't really be pressurising you to continue you itthough, so go ahead and do whatever you want with it. It was still a great read. Have a great day!
Po5eidon

Mea wrote a review...

Hey Light! Can't see a work of yours without reviewing it. <3

Full disclosure: I don't know anything about the manga you based this on, so I was a little bit confused throughout.

Funnily enough, when I reached the end it didn't surprise me that this was written before you joined the site - I can easily tell your writing style is very different now and that you've definitely improved.

The main thing to say about this is that it reads a lot more like a summary of a story than an actual story, simply because you spend so much time summarizing what happens, and very little time in actual scenes. I don't know that there's much to say about that other then "flesh it out," but I know you don't do that in your writing any more, and you're not planning on editing this anyway.

Reading this closely, even though I don't know the manga at all I can tell that you made sure to let people who do know it be able to tell where in the manga's continuity it is, so great job on that. It drives me crazy when people write fanfiction and won't drop enough hints to let us figure out where it is in the continuity.

He was her savior and guidance, and most importantly, he was a friend she wanted to have. Even his annoying childish attitude had grown on her.

The interesting thing about this is that Natsu defines this whole story, and yet he is decidedly absent for the entire thing. In any other story I would tell you that you really needed to flesh Natsu out and preferably find a way to put him on-screen (maybe through flashbacks) to let the reader connect to him and to not feel like Lucy's affection is cheap or unearned. However, since this is a fanfiction, I recognize that their relation-ship may have already been built in the story. If that's the case, you could probably just do with a few small reminders, maybe memories of him that Lucy thinks about.

And I feel like this was a super unhelpful review, but I think that's all I've got! I guess it's okay if this review isn't amazing, because you did say you weren't going to edit this. But I'll catch you next time. <3

Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:24 pm
Shota wrote a review...

I love Fairy Tail so thanks for sharing this, it was fun to read! Some of the following is my opinion of course, so do with it what you will!

Not sure if your first two sentences are questions here? Is she questioning that he left her, or is it a more emphatic “how dare he!”, with maybe an explanation point?

Also there should be an “a” in-between “took a different path” or “took different paths from”

According to the letter he had left for her, he left her because he wanted to train himself to be stronger.

This part didn’t flow very well and I think it was because of how repetitive it is. I would reword it so you aren’t using “he left her” so closely together twice.

This pursue of further training was not done for nothing; he had stated that he wanted to take revenge for his dead dragon father, Igneel to Acnologia, the dragon that had caused the miserable death.

Should be “pursuit”

First off I was so sad when Igneel died, after basically being dead already for so long. Such a bittersweet reunion in the manga, especially with his sacrifice.

That being said Igneel to Acnologia sounds weird to me. Maybe do “Igneel against Acnologia”? Not sure, but the “to” doesn’t connect it as much to be and sounds a little confusing.

Why couldn’t he take her with him so that both of them could have company - Happy the Cat followed Natsu, but Lucy was sure Natsu wanted a human company as well - and both of them could work together as a team and be stronger together too

This sentence was rather long and disjointed for me. Throw in a period to help with the flow.

Also it should be “a human companion” or “Natsu wanted human company”

But now each of them had different idea in mind after the separation;

Should be, “But now each of them had a different idea

But now each of them had different idea in mind after the separation; Erza had expressed her desire to help the demolition of all magic council members, thus helping rebuilding the council members; Gray had went for a training along with Juvia for the personal vendetta he had after the true death of his father; Wendy had accepted Cana’s offer to stay with her in the church cathedral.

Also this is a very long sentence as well. Don’t be afraid to break it up. It will help with the overall flow of the story I think.

On that matter regarding Gajeel, Lucy, being a curious one she was, and after having the suspicion,

I think it would flow a lot better if you did ‘Being the curious one that she was…’

But before she left, Levy left an advice:

This felt disjointed and I had to reread it to understand what you were saying. Using “left” twice in a row so quick made it an odd read, and maybe doing “Levy had given some advice” would help the flow? Just a thought.

She understood that she should realize this sooner, and not just had the feeling that she wanted Natsu to be with her.

This felt confusing to me, why should she have realized it sooner? I think you could describe it as a blossoming revelation that helps push her out the door to find Natsu, just an idea.

Also I think it would flow better if you say, “She should have realized this sooner”

The last half of the sentence was very odd to me, and I cant quite figure out what you are trying to say.

He was her savior and guidance,

Should be ‘guide’ not ‘guidance’, since a guide is something he is and guidance is something he does.

unless Natsu joined other guild.

Should be ‘another’

she bid farewell, and when Hibiki asked why she did this,

It sounds like Hibiki is asking her why she is bidding farewell by how you have it worded, not why she is looking for Natsu.

Some Thoughts:

I feel like you have a great start, but I feel like a lot happens in a short amount of time. She goes to one guild, then another, then three months past. It just feels like so much time is flying by. Maybe shorten the passing time and have her meet with Natsu sooner, or leave to find him sooner so the story can continue.

Also there are quite a few grammatical errors that affect the story, so if you do go through with this I would edit it a bit more.

Fairytail is a Manga I really do enjoy even though it has been a while since I have read it. The nice thing about it being a fan Fiction is you can veer off from the Manga if you want and put your own twist on things. I do enjoy the fact you did it from Lucy’s perspective, since we always feel like she has lingering feels for Natsu, but we don’t really get to see inside her mind and her way of thinking often. Writing from her perspective allows us to see her feelings, and that is fun and moving.

Thanks for sharing it, and allowing us all to read it. If you have any questions or comments just let me know!

Yewis superiority!
— Several authors from the auspicious site.