z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language Violence Mature Content

Bad Lights, Good Lights [Chapter 1.0, Rewritten]

by Lightsong


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language, violence, and mature content.

Thursday, 17th April 2014

My parents fought again, and receiving the backlash of it was painful. I was sitting against the wall, on the dry floor with my knees bent and pulled toward my chest, both arms surrounding them. I felt my long hair covering both sides of my arms as I dumped my head on them.

The toilet I was in was dark since the door was closed. I didn’t switch on the light. There was no use of that. I hated people seeing me crying. It just felt pretentious to me, like I wanted to have their attentions--to have their sympathy of my helpless state. Yes, the toilet was a perfect place to cry since it just kept my crying inside with no one able to hear my crying.

I could feel my tears wetting my shoulders. I didn’t care. You don’t care about anything around you when you cry. You just cry. So I cried. I cried because of many things. Father getting mad again. Mother getting yelled at again. Us getting scolded again. Mother crying again. And my only question right now was: why? Why did Father change so much? Why did he change to this?

The whole yelling and scolding happened every time we did something wrong. Or if we didn’t do something right. Or if we forgot to do it. It didn’t matter how big or small our fault was; there was a fault we had made, and that was the only thing mattered to Father. there was fault everyday. You can’t expect people to do everything right at all time, in every hour and minute and second. You just can’t. You are asking for an impossible task.

I then heard a strange whisper, and my head snapped up, my eyes widened. What’s that? It had many layers in the form of various masculine voices - hoarse, gentle, pitchy. They spoke in an excellent unison. I thought they were all just in my head. They were not real, just a product of my constant crying - if there was such a thing. But when my eyes had dried and there was still a whisper, something must had gone wrong. Maybe I had gone wrong.

I sensed it came from the toilet bowl. I opened it and stumbled away when I saw a red light brightening and dimming in there.

“Do you need help?” it breathed.

I was pretty sure it was my head. There shouldn’t be any light in a toilet bowl. It was too unrealistic. I closed my eyes and shook it in an attempt to get rid of this whatever in front of me. I opened them and it was still there. I was speechless. Was the imagination in my head too strong? Was the by-product of my crying too formidable at this point? Maybe this is a demon’s doing?

“Do you need my help?” it whispered, floating out of the bowl. For a second, I wondered if it knew the place it was before was disgusting. Well, the toilet bowl was clean but still.

I moved back a bit. “What are you?” I asked, then frowned. Am I really talking to my imagination?

“Um, isn’t it obvious?” it asked back, no more whispering. “I’m a light. Now, do you need my help or not?”

I looked at it with squinted eyes. “Are you real?”

It floated a bit higher than descended a bit. “I’ve heard humans answered this way. ‘Knock your head. If it hurts, then everything is real.’ I guess you should knock your head.”

The suggestion was ridiculous, of course, but I punched my head anyway. It hurt and the light was still there. Maybe my projection was not affected by any pain inflicted to me? I knocked my head harder and winced. The light was still there. Whatever it was, it seemed resistant to anything that tried to destroy it.

“You’re not real. You-re-you’re a demon’s doing,” I said, quickly stood up, and headed for the door. I tried to twist the doorknob to open it, but it was futile. It didn’t budge at all. I was pretty sure I didn’t lock it. Panick rushed in me like a flood, forcing me to turn my attention to the red light. Red because it was the colour of hell’s fire?

It hummed in satisfaction. “Ah, it’s locked. Good,” it said. “I’m not a demon’s doing. You can’t go into conclusion like that. Just because I defy your logic doesn’t mean I don’t exist. Again, I repeat: do you need my help?”

My head started to ache now. This light didn’t make any sense. It was trying to see there were things that couldn’t be perceived with logic. Such things, to me, were like demons and angels, hell and heaven. This light was more likely to be a product of hell because surely heaven would choose a glowing, pure white as its colour. It seemed the light was the one that locked the door, somehow. I should play along to let it free me.

“What kind of help you can give to me?” I snapped.

“I can push and pull things. Do you want to push or pull things but cannot do so?”

I laughed. It didn’t look harmful and said it could move things around? Was I hearing it right? For a hell’s being, this one seemed like a joke. “Ridiculous. I don’t want to push or pull things. That sounded like something a baby would try to do. I can do that with my own hands, thank you. Now, go away. I don’t need a matterless being to ruin my life.” Maybe if I said it like that, it would go away. If I could create a mental projection, I could destroy it too with some strong willpower.

It did not, however. It kept changing the brightness of its light, floating a bit here and there. There was silence for a moment, and it allowed me to slowly realize the possibility this light was real and not a product of religious aspects. No sound came from it. Maybe it was thinking with an invisible brain like it had its own free will. I did not know but I hoped it would talk. Reply to what I had said. The silence had became unsettling.

“Okay, fine. I’ll tell you the truth. I asked that so that you could do something for me,” It said, its voice hinting a bit of frustration. “You humans are in danger from some of my kind, and you need to help me fight them.”

I snorted. “How can a light like you become a threat to us? Honestly, you look frail.”

Water ran from the pipe behind me and I jumped forward to the side of the light. I stared at it with widened eyes. I walked to the pipe and turned it off. I saw the water. I felt some sprinkles on my face. I felt the touch of shirt’s hem, and it was slightly wet. A realization hit me like a hard rock. This was really happening, and not in my head. “Did you do that?” I asked, anger creeping my voice, despite knowing I was handling something entirely not human. Whatever it had done, I didn’t like it. To me, it felt like a threatening gesture.

“Yes, I did, and I can do more,” it answered, the firmness of its voice irritating me. “And so can they. They have a plan for you humans, and it’s not a good one, I guarantee you that.”

I continued staring at it. Still a mind projection? Right now, I doubted it. It was real and it had proved itself so. It really could move things around. I didn’t know how but it managed to do so. I didn’t want to make sure by asking it to do more. Maybe it’d do something that could cause me harm. I needed to be careful. I considered the possibilities. If one was standing on a cliff, it could push his feet to make him fall. If one was standing besides the road, waiting for the traffic light to turn to green, it could push her entire body forward to let her hit a car. The possibilities were countless. This light was dangerous.

Maybe I overthought about this. Maybe it was just bluffing. Maybe it could only made my hand jerk a bit. Maybe it couldn’t even force me to make a step. But,again, would I risk it by asking it to prove what it had said? That it could do more than running water from the pipe?

“Okay, I think I do need your help,” I whispered, unsettled with how my voice had a subtle tremble, and angered with myself how I decided to ask a strange being something personal. “Can you get rid of Father from our lives?”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Mon May 16, 2016 8:35 pm
View Likes
Rydia wrote a review...



Hello! So while deciding which novel to take up, I'm reviewing the chapter ones 'cos it would be weird to read something and not review.

Specifics

1. I feel like the first line might work better as 'My parents were fighting again and receiving the backlash of it was painful.' It's a very small change but I feel like 'fought' suggests this happened in the far past, rather than the recent past? And any time you can write the past tense and have it in a more active/ current way will make your story feel more immediate.

2.

I felt my long hair covering both sides of my arms as I dumped my head on them.
This is kind of passive phrasing. The action comes first and generally that's where you should start and then tell us the consequence. Sometimes you want it to be the other way for dramatic effect, like when someone has got shot and feels the pain first, but when they have taken an active action, that's the first thing they as the narrator should be aware of. So: 'I dumped my head on my arms and felt the comfort of my long hair pressed against them.' << It also lets you get a little more detail into the sentence.

3.
The toilet I was in was dark since the door was closed. I didn’t switch on the light. There was no use of to that. I hated people seeing me crying cry. It just felt pretentious to me, like I wanted to have their attentions--to have their sympathy of my helpless state. Yes, the toilet was a perfect place to cry since it just kept my crying inside with no one able to hear my crying me.
So this paragraph is currently very bulky and repetitive, sometimes in terms of structure but mostly certain words. Try to avoid using 'just' whenever you can as it's an annoying filler word which creeps in and bulks out your sentences and makes your flow sluggish. It's great in dialogue and sometimes it actually does its job of building tension but mostly it actually slows the pace down. With other words try to not use them more than once in a sentence unless it's dramatic repetition and try not to use too many of the same type of word ending close together like you did with 'seeing' and 'crying' when it can easily be avoided. Sometimes you have to but don't when you don't ;)

4.
I cried because of many things. [This should be a semi colon and then again between all of the lists. It would be more dramatic and it would be nice to see a long sentence after all the short ones in the previous paragraph and at the beginning of this one.] Father getting mad again. Mother getting yelled at again. Us getting scolded again. Mother crying again. And my only question right now was: why? Why did Father change so much? Why did he change to this?


5.
Or if we forgot to do it. It didn’t matter how big or small our fault was; there was a fault we had made, and that was the only thing which mattered to Father. there There was fault everyday. You can’t expect people to do everything right at all time, in every hour and minute and second. You just can’t. You are asking for It's an impossible task.


6.
I then heard a strange whisper, and my head snapped up, my eyes widened. What’s that? It had many layers in the form of various masculine voices - hoarse, gentle, pitchy. They spoke in an excellent unison. I thought they were all just in my head. They were not real, just a product of my constant crying - if there was such a thing. But when my eyes had dried and there was still a whisper, something must had gone wrong. Maybe I had gone wrong.
This is a little hard to follow. There's only one whisper but you use - 'they' - so are there multiple voices? If so I think we need to hear what the whispers say or that there are different voices before you can use they. Otherwise, use it for a single voice. Or is the they the masculine voices and the whisper? I'm not sure.

7.
I was pretty sure it was in my head. There shouldn’t be any light in a toilet bowl. It was too unrealistic. I closed my eyes and shook it in an attempt to get rid of this whatever in front of me. I opened them and it was still there. I was speechless. Was the imagination in my head too strong? Was the by-product of my crying too formidable at this point? Maybe this is a demon’s doing?
This is a little awkwardly phrased, I think especially 'imagination in my head'. People don't think like that, they think my imagination'. Partly because when we're true and safe in our own heads, everything is my this or my that because we're thinking of ourselves. But also it just flows better.

8.
It floated a bit higher than descended a bit. “I’ve heard humans answered this way. ‘Knock your head. If it hurts, then everything is real.’ I guess you should knock your head.”
I like the dialogue - that made me smile.

9.
“You’re not real. You-re-you’re a demon’s doing[color=red],.” I said, quickly stood up, and headed for the door. I tried to twist the doorknob to open it, but it was futile. It didn’t budge at all. I was pretty sure I didn’t lock it. Panick Panic rushed in me like a flood, forcing me to turn my attention to the red light. Red because it was the colour of hell’s fire?


10.
My head started to ache now. This light didn’t make any sense. It was trying to see say there were things that which couldn’t be perceived with logic.


11.
I felt the touch of my shirt’s hem, and it was slightly wet.
By the pipe do you mean the water came out of the taps or is there a disconnected pipe? That seemed a really odd way to phrase it.

12.
A realization hit me like a hard rock. This was really happening, and not in my head. “Did you do that?” I asked, anger creeping into my voice, despite knowing I was handling something entirely not human. Whatever it had done, I didn’t like it. To me, it felt like a threatening gesture.


13.
If one was were standing besides beside the road, waiting for the traffic lights to turn to green, it could push her [This is jarring because you're mixing attributes. If you use one before then you need to use their here. If you want to use her, you should use 'a woman' or 'a girl' in the first instance.] entire body forward to let her hit a car. The possibilities were countless. This light was dangerous.


14.
Maybe I overthought over thought about this. Maybe it was just bluffing. Maybe it could only made my hand jerk a bit. Maybe it couldn’t even force me to make a step. But,again, would I risk it by asking it to prove what it had said? That it could do more than running water from the pipe?


Overall

I feel a bit distanced from the narrator at the moment and I'm not sure why that is. I think you have a good, clear set up with the light and the issues at home. It could be a bit punchier - maybe the dialogue could be taken up a notch and sometimes your prose is a little bulky - but I'm also finding your narrator's tone to be a bit flat. I didn't get a very strong sense of who she is or how she thinks, other than that she's determined to not believe in strange, red lights. There's not a clear sense of fear during this chapter though or of awe. Her emotions don't come into it much and when they are there, they aren't fluctuating as much as I'd expect in a high stress situation. She was more stressed out at the beginning when thinking about her parents fighting but once the light appears, the emotional tone gets dropped a lot. I think we need to see her fluctuate more and to feel that this is a stressful situation instead of a mildly amusing, did that thing just come out of the toilet bowl kind of situation.

I thought the ending was intriguing, though she reached that request a bit abruptly. Maybe we need to see that it's still on her mind as she's talking to this red light because we've moved quite a way from the fight by that mention - there aren't many descriptions of the shouting toward the end or of her continued distress.

This is a pretty solid start in general but I think there's still room for it to be more powerful. You've done a good job of introducing the plot and setting up the states but your MC hasn't really gained my love or sympathy and sometimes that's more important in a first chapter. If I love the main character, I'm willing to wait around a bit for the plot to take off.

All the best,

~Heather




User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:15 am
View Likes
Carlito wrote a review...



Hello!!! I told you I didn't forget about this novel! I'm going to head back to the very beginning because I missed a lot of this stuff, and then maybe someday soon I'll be all caught up! :)

I'm going to keep things fairly general and big picture, but if you would like me to go back and address anything specific, I would be happy to do so!

I definitely think you started in the right spot, which honestly is half the battle sometimes. I know it's the right spot because something important happened - the light came, and this is the catalyst that will propel the rest of the story forward. I also appreciated that you got us to the point - the light coming - right away and that you didn't get too absorbed in backstory or telling us all about the character or having a series of unimportant events leading up to the important moment.

I do think this opening could use a bit more pizzazz. I love Rosey's article about beginnings and starting your story.

Let's take a bit of a closer look at your opening.

This evening, I cried and sat against the wall and on the dry floor, knees bent and pulled toward my chest, both arms surrounding them.

Opening lines are super hard, and I'm certainly no expert on them. But this opening line didn't do much for me. It's a lot of description and it doesn't really tell me much. Part of me is curious to know why this individual is crying, but I don't feel like I know enough to really empathize with them. Something short and snappy like "My parents are fighting again." could be really effective. I can picture the scene and the tone (to me) even sounds like the narrator is a bit exasperated or that this sort of thing happens a lot. (The word "again", implies that). Then the next sentence you could go into what the character is doing and where. But in the beginning I would keep things simple. I would try to use short sentences and keep everything as clear as can be. I want my intrigue to be kept up without being bogged down by a lot of description. I love internal monologue, and internal monologue (like you've included) is fine to have in the opening as long as there is a clear purpose and it is helping to tell the story. Until the light comes I feel a bit bogged down by description and monologue. I'm not sure where things are going or why I should care about this MC yet.

Then the light comes. I still think this is a really interesting premise (I believe I said that in a review a long time ago). I'm glad I came back to the beginning because I had no idea this was loosely based on a short story. (I may need to read that :p). Anyway.

I was pretty sure there was something wrong in my head. There should be no light in a toilet bowl and even if there had with some advance technology, it couldn’t speak. I closed my eyes and shook it. I opened them and it was still there. I was speechless.

I looove this reaction. This feels like a really natural reaction to this happening to someone. I want more reaction throughout this chapter segment. This crazy thing is happening to him (her?) and the MC seems to accept it rather quickly. I want way more thoughts and feelings as this progresses and I want to know how these thoughts and feelings change.

“I think you’re real.” Even if it my mind projection, it was still real in the sense of it really happened.

Like here - how is the MC saying this? And how did the MC come to this decision? There was shock and now there's almost resolved acceptance, like okay. sure. this is happening to me.
This reminds me of the 2nd Harry Potter book when Dobby surprises Harry in his room. Harry is pretty shocked and pretty uneasy until he learns who/what Dobby is and why he's there, but even then Harry is still a bit wary. I would expect this MC to be a bit wary, too and if not, I would like to know why.

It hummed in satisfaction. “Good. Now, do you want my help or not? I’m tired of repeating myself.”

“What kind of help you can give to me?” I snapped.

This also goes back to the wariness. This strange light is asking if the MC wants help. Why would the MC trust this light? What could this light possibly do?

“You’re a joke. I don’t want to push or pull things. That sounded like something a baby would try to do. I can do that with my own hands, thank you. Now, go away. I don’t need a matterless being to ruin my life.” Maybe if I said it like that, it would go away. If I could create a mental projection, I could destroy it too.

Great reaction. This felt really authentic.

“You humans are in danger from some of my kind, and you need to help me fight them.”

I snorted. “How can a light like you become a threat to us? Honestly, you look frail.”

I really appreciate that you not only introduced the catalyst (the light) into this chapter, but also the problem and the stakes (there is a danger coming and something bad will happen to humans if this MC doesn't help).
I also really appreciated the MC's skepticism to this comment. I feel like if this happened to me, I would have a similar reaction (unless I was crying in the corner or trying to flee out of fear :P)

I could. “Okay, I think I do need your help,” I whispered. “Can you kill my father?”

Hmmm, I don't know how I feel about this ending. It felt really out of the blue and random. There's no build up of why the MC would want help killing his/her father (I need to know the MC's gender in this opening bit). And why would the MC even trust this strange light thing to carry out such a thing. It kind of feels like you were going for a dramatic ending to keep your readers going. It's 100% fine to do that (especially at the beginning!) but make sure it's still thought out and in place. If you want to end on this note, set it up a bit more earlier in the chapter.

I'll leave things there for now, but please let me know if you have any questions or if anything I said was confusing! I'll see you soon for more of this and for your other request! :D




User avatar
1087 Reviews


Points: 44360
Reviews: 1087

Donate
Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:29 pm
View Likes
Sins wrote a review...



Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language, violence, and mature content.


Now that's what I'm talking about 8)

Ooooooo, so this is very intriguing, and super original. I also like how this good light is red because it's stereotypically negative colour, so kudos for your thinking outside the boxness there. I'm super intrigued to find out where this novel is going to lead, and I see that you've got loads of chapters posted, so those will so be getting stalked the hell outta by me very soon (just a heads up). Your ending is awesome, by the way, and this idea of your MC wanting to kill her father puts a hugely dark twist on things. There isn't heaps and heaps to comment on here because it's quite a small section of the novel, but I think I've managed to conjure up some critiques for you. Let's start with your opening paragraph:

This evening, I cried and sat against the wall and on the dry floor, knees bent and pulled toward my chest, both arms surrounding them. My long hair covered both sides of my arms.


As a whole, it's pretty nice. Not much more, though. The opening of anything, whether it be an essay or a 200,000 word novel, is very important as it can be the determining factor of whether someone will continue reading your story. Creating an impact is vital, as a result. Like I said, this opening certainly isn't bad at all, but I feel like it could have a stronger kick to it. At the moment, it's just you describing your main character (MC) having a cry. You could still start this with her crying, but create more of an impact with it. For example, instead of simply describing your MC crying, have her say something dramatic like I have never cried like I am tonight, and the pain has never been so raw. Horrendous example, I know, but do you see how something like that can leave more of an impact?

My second critique is something I will hold back on a bit because this is only the first thousand words or so (I'd guess), but why is the light coming to your MC? What makes her so special? Also, due to me having the mental capacity of a 5-year-old I found the whole emerging from the toilet bowl thing funny (I don't know if that's what you wanted). But anyway, back on topic. At the moment I'm kind of questioning this a lot because I just can't understand why this light would come to your MC. Why is it in her toilet bowl, in her house, in her neighbourhood, in her country? D'you get me? Now this could obviously be revealed in the next chapter, or within the next few chapters, but at the moment it's perplexing me a bit because there's no explanation, not even a tiny one.

The only other critique I have for you is that you can have a tendency to tell the readers a lot, and not show us. Ye olde show/tell debate. For example, the light tells your MC exactly what the situation in a very informative manner, and it kind of feels like it's just you telling us readers what's going on. I kinda want a bit of mystery, y'know? And even if you do want to give as much information as you have, that's completely cool, just maybe do it in a way that isn't so obvious. Another example is the situation with your MC'S parents. Early on, you tell us how the dad is abusive and cruel to her and her mother, but you talk about it quite matter-of-factly and sort of breeze over it. Now, hear me out, what I think would actually be a lot more effective is if you didn't say why your MC is crying. It'll make us readers spend the whole time wondering, and then when your MC asks the light to kill her father we'll be like, "EHRMAGAWD." It's already a fantastic cliffhanger, but that impact could be revved up even further. Idk, just a thought.

Anywho, I think that's it. Negatives aside, and I do apologise if I've seemed harsh at all, this is a story with a bucket full of potential. I greatly look forward to reading the rest of the chapters, and I am super intrigued to see where this leads. With some tweaking here and there, this could morph into a killer opening chapter/section. If you have any questions or comments regarding this review, please don't hesitate to let me know! :D

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins




User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 456
Reviews: 7

Donate
Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:31 pm
View Likes
Bluecat wrote a review...



Looking at your other pieces, it's obvious you have done a lot of hard work with this novel. I just am going to review your prologue to start.

I think you had some good word choices. In the second paragraph, I think you did a good job bringing the character to life and making her like others in real life. I think "The light could kill people" was powerful and made the reader stop. Nice job making it separate from the other paragraphs, too.

I think the introduction could be changed. I've seen things like that a lot, and maybe you could replace it with a description of the setting.

"This was really happening, and not in my head," I think you should change. It seems a little bland, so maybe change it to something like "My eyes widened, and I realized that reality was standing before me." Or, if you don't want to change it, re-word it to, "This wasn't just in my head; it was really happening.

In the whole 4th paragraph, I kept thinking how you could've described what the father actually wanted from the family, and what exactly he wanted done perfectly that the whole family had to do. I'm guessing the father is abusive, but I think the story would've flown better with some recent flashbacks or memories of the past argument, because you described the arguments as a process, and I'm guessing, a frequent one.

This also links with the previous paragraph of this review, but I was pretty surprised when the character asked the light if could kill her dad. This was a little confusing, but as stated before, wouldn't have been as much if you described memories or flashbacks relating to the negative impacts the father has had on the family. However, without them, instead of a strong ending statement, it sounds a little evil on Merah's part.

I think you could have described the light more. She sounded a little sassy, but if you described her personality a little more, she would've seemed more developed. Maybe you could've hinted towards why the lights wanted to kill the humans too.

I can really tell you worked hard on this. It is actually very interesting, and I will certainly get to reading the rest of this story. Amazing job!




Lightsong says...


Aww, thanka for the review! :)



User avatar
346 Reviews


Points: 37216
Reviews: 346

Donate
Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:29 pm
View Likes
Pretzelstick wrote a review...



Hello Lightsong, Pretzel here for a review of this prologue of your novel. I just wanted to let you know that I usually go very in-depth with my reviews, so you can definitively expect this from me. Anyhow, let's get started, shall we?

Overall, I think that since the beginning you have made the main character and narrator very relate-able, at least in my mind and because of that I'm sure that I will like her. I really have this thing with pointing out first sentences, because that's just how I go so let's that a closer look at it.

My name is Merah.


I wouldn't go so far as to call this a cliche, but I do have to let you know that I think it is a very generic introduction that you basically give whenever your meeting someone new. And yes, in this prologue, we are meeting someone new, but this first sentence doesn't really seem sufficient,but almost lacking. When I start reading a novel,I like a really strong hook, something that will reel me in so that I want to keep on reading, something that holds my attention so that I am constantly interested from the very start. This didn't do the trick for me.

I usually always comment on this, but it's just a habit to point this out. I don't really believe in prologues in general. I think that most of them are written incorrectly, (at least the ones that I have seen)- I'm not saying that this one is wrong, I'm just saying that you as a writer should maybe reconsider starting a novel with this. I am an avid reader, and I could tell you right now, that I personally almost always skip over the prologue unless I find that first sentence especially intriguing- coming back to that hook thing that I was talking about. There is a great article written by Hiraeth, that explains basically what a prologue has to have in order to be considered "valid" and I definitively agree with them.

So, I won't quote that bit, but in the beginning of this prologue, you talked a little bit about Merah is talking about why she is crying so much, I was wondering: What is the root cause of this screaming and yelling and perfection. I think that in every story, there is much more deeper things beneath what you wrote,and therefore,although I did understand her to some degree,I honestly think that her family problem were written in s a shallow way-meaning that you literally just scratched the surface. Now, I know that you just got into the novel-this is your first real chapter, but I would love to see some indication/foreshadow that there is something more, like there is.

“Do you need help?” it breathed.

I think that this personification is kind of an odd-ball, because it's creepy enough that there is a toiler-water is acting like a light, but when it's "breathing" it feels even more creepy. Maybe I would just suggest changing the word voice thing.

I considered the possibilities.


I really like the spiral that is going out in Merah head, and her mind and her thoughts really fascinate. I really like this first-person perspective here-because I really think it works. It's just that I think to distinguish this from the other text, you should italicize so that the reader the difference.

They have a plan for you humans, and it’s not a good one, I guarantee you that.”


Here I was thinking that you could make the light's voice seems... much more threatening and scary as in a curse in about to come, you better watch out, type of feel to this, if you see what I mean here.

“Can you kill my father?”


That ending is very unexpected, because I didn't expect Merah to be so bitter and angry at her father that she wanted him dead-permanently. It's like this is common-and also I just don't fully understand what her motives are. This is a very character-building moment, so you have to be very careful on how you portray her, because here she is shown in a bad light, which is one of her big flaws-caused by the circumstances around her.

Concluding, I am definitively intrigued what will happen next,so I definitively plan on going through part two, maybe tommorow or when I get out of school for Christmas break. I'll try my best. I hope that this review helps you, and if you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

~P.S.




User avatar
1085 Reviews


Points: 90000
Reviews: 1085

Donate
Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:17 am
View Likes
Mea says...



Dang. I'm following this now. Start tagging me.




Lightsong says...


Ohmegerd, dat comment. Thanks for following! :D



User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 410
Reviews: 10

Donate
Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:00 am
View Likes
Mazuurek wrote a review...



To say that this prologue is "well-written" or "amazing" would be to do disservice to the excruciatingly long-winded and complex process of planning, drafting and finally writing a novel. No writing is ever beautiful at its inception and first draft, unless the author in question possesses writing skills and finesse far beyond that of the average writer.

So no, this prologue isn't well written, and it isn't amazing. But it could be.

Let's focus first on the good points, the most particular of which is this - this is an interesting prologue. It makes me want to know more. The clichés of an abusive father and reclusion in a confined space do not necessarily detract from the story - rather, they serve to make the prologue more immediately accessible, providing context of family and inner psyche that at least a percentage of readers can associate with and relate to. The concept of a sentient light is not particularly novel, but it is certainly uncommon - and that trait alone gives this prologue great potential to turn into a wonderful story (given adequate nurturing and guidance). The prologue ends with a hook - "Can you kill my father?" - that ensnares the reader and causes him to question the extent of the narrator's woes. This is good structural planning.

Instead of switching immediately to the bad points, I'd much rather prefer to focus on the direction you can take this story in. No story can effectively be written without a full structure planned beforehand, and I suggest that you take the time and effort to plan out your entire story before embarking on the task of writing it. Read through the story yourself and ask yourself questions based on it. For instance:

"[Excerpts on parental abuse by the narrator's father]"
Why does he abuse his family? Is he doing it in spite? Are they the indirect targets of his frustration that he chooses to vent on? Are they the target of his blame? What has caused him to develop such a violent attitude? Does this attitude change towards the end of the story? Does he genuinely love his family despite his violent inclinations?

"This light could kill people."
Has it killed people before? Have other lights killed people before? Is the killing of people something that is condoned or condemned by the lights? Will people be killed in the course of this story? Who will be killed? Who will they be killed by? What will be the outcome of this killing? Will people use the lights to kill other people? Are the lights capable of independent decision-making? Exactly how sophisticated are these lights?

As you can see, the questions are almost uncountable, and as they appear other follow-up questions will inevitable appear as well, growing more and more indistinguishable from the questions that may arise from other excerpts. At the very end of your analysis you should stop and ask yourself a few questions that are the key to a story:

What is the setting of this story? Where is the narrator? What time period is she in? What is the scope of the setting? Does it only involve her house, or is the world outside it also explored? How much time does the story span?

Who are the characters in the story? What are their physical characteristics? What are their psyches? What are their mental and emotional traits, inclinations and habits? How are they related to the story? How are they related to the narrator? How do they interact with the narrator?

What happens in the story? What events build up to a climax? What is the climax? How does the narrator develop throughout the story? How do the other characters develop throughout the story? How does the story end?

These are simply the fundamentals of storytelling. Only when you have considered all of these questions, and as a result of them created a substantial framework and timeline for your story, should you proceed with writing.

And now to the nitty-gritty. I won't go into depth regarding technical errors in language - this story is at far too early a draft for proper technicalities to be paid attention to (though their consideration would be helpful indeed) - but I feel the need to address certain macro issues in your writing that you should be aware of:

1) The pros and cons, and the technicalities, of the first-person perspective
The first-person perspective is a double-edged sword. It can make a protagonist seem more associable, and at the same time it can distance the reader from the protagonist. Certain guidelines need to be adhered to when writing in the first-person perspective, in particular: Description must be active and direct. Do not describe things you ought to already know, unless you have a reason for it. Do not describe things as if you were an observer watching from a distance. The first paragraph of your prologue describes the narrator's seating position in a third-person perspective, making it seem bizarre and not at all nice to read - and that's only one example.

2) The context of writing
Given that this story is in the first-person perspective, you must decide: When is the story written? Is it written after the narrator has gone through its events? Is it written concurrently with the story, sort of like a progressive imagined diary? Who does the narrator address when she says "My name is Merah"? Is the reader complicit in the events of the story? Is the narrator writing for a specific audience? Depending on your answer, the way many events are perceived and phrased will change. If written after, events will have to be recounted with acknowledgement of retrospect. If written concurrently, you will have to abolish retrospect entirely.

3) Showing, not telling
There is much merit to expressing a story through less explicit means than telling. Adding to the first-person perspective, showing and not telling constitutes an additional layer of immersion that is hard to craft but extremely appreciated by the reader. Instead of saying that the toilet is "dark", for instance, have the narrator find difficulty in seeing her immediate surroundings. Instead of explaining in simple terms the history of abuse she has gone through, for instance, have other forms of imagery - bruises, cuts, broken objects, yelling - establish this history.

Apart from the aforementioned I have nothing much left to say, simply that - it is respectable that you are trying to write a complete story. It is an arduous process that few embark on and even fewer see to fruition. If you have the conviction to write a complete story - that is, you strongly feel that your story is something that needs to be told - then you need to plan for it. There is no 'going with the flow' or 'letting inspiration guide you'. Writing a full story is as much an art as it is a highly technical science. If you have achieved all of this, then your completed story in the end will be that much more satisfying.




User avatar
347 Reviews


Points: 25558
Reviews: 347

Donate
Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:23 am
View Likes
OliveDreams wrote a review...



Hi Lightsong! Now that I’ve fan girled majorly over your username - I thought I would come and check out some of your stuff.

Things I liked;

I liked your description over why your MC is crying because you really do start crying about one thing and then it opens up to another thing and then another. This makes your narrative more realistic and easy to relate to.

I like the slight humour you’ve given the voice in the toilet bowl. It opens up your story to be funny and much more enjoyable for the reader. You can already tell that the voice is going to be fun.

I liked that you said that your MC hoped it would talk again. This makes us relate to them very easily and sympathise with her need to talk not only about her problems but also her need to know what this thing is!

I love the ending! Very clever and it’s made me intrigued to read more. I also wasn;t expecting her to say that at all!

Things I think you could improve;

knees bended and pulled toward my chest.
- This needs to be, ‘knees bent and pulled toward my chest.

You have a few tense problems here and there. Pick the past or present tense and stick to one. :)

I will get onto reading/reviewing the following chapters soon! Feel free to ask me any questions! I’m happy to chat anytime.

Olive <3




Lightsong says...


Thanks! Glad you like a few parts of it. :D I'll be waiting!



User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 443
Reviews: 9

Donate
Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:02 am
View Likes
jegde1479 wrote a review...



Labrador,
this is a very interesting concept.
I like the way you wrote this but try not make it too cliche- with the abusive father and crying in the toilet. But id love to here more of this!

Also try being more specific about the powers- can the lights pull anything or do they have a certain amount of energy.

For a title: Don't walk into the light!- would be cool

-Sorry already posted this but i didnt make it a review- i know im a noob




Lightsong says...


Thanks! You're not a noob, don't say thar! :o As for the power, I won't come to that until the time is right to avoid info dumping. Thanks for the suggestion! :D



User avatar
39 Reviews


Points: 4842
Reviews: 39

Donate
Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:53 pm
View Likes
ClackFlip wrote a review...



*Takes off monacle and sets down glass of Snooty Scotch (that's actually just apple juice) That was good.
I honestly think it was well written and executed pretty well. It was a bit rushed though.
HEY! Need help? No? Okay, my people want to kill you dead by the way.
That was my complaint. All of it. But don't worry, I'm sure I can brutally crush your dreams on the next chapter. Now, since I don't have any real complaints, let's talk about what I liked for a change.
Your prose. Your prose was fantastic. It conveyed information at just the right pace to keep me from being bored, and it was quite fantastic.
Your ending.

“Okay, I think I do need your help,” I whispered. “Can you kill my father?”

Though it does seem a little extreme (parents tend to yell at you when they're frustrated) I guess I could see it.
So there's my review. This is a winner.




Lightsong says...


Thanks for the review! Please click the Like button if you like it! :D



User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 3643
Reviews: 53

Donate
Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:27 pm
View Likes
Ronald559 wrote a review...



Hey, my name was Merah.
No your name is Merah. It means red in english.
Even english is a dead language in your story, you wouldn't say "sic transit gloria," meant glory fades. No, it means glory fades.


You don’t care about anything around you when you cry. You just cry.
That's a bold statement.

When you say bowl you mean toilet bowl, right?

This light could kill people.
Stating the obvious.

2 things, interesting concept with the light. And overall an interesting enough story. I didn't have much critique for it. It's got a good flow, and it's a little comical with intention.

The other thing is a huge thing. Don't have a prologue. Publishers hate prologues, it also asks a question. Is this writer any good, I mean how good is his story if needs a prologue. Even if you are a good writer, or if your novel is the next great american novel. A prologue is a bad idea. George RR Martin uses prologue but like I said there are exceptions.

It just seems unnecessary.


As for a title:
Dark Lights
A Dark Light




Lightsong says...


Very precise and helpful. O.o Thanks! Please click the Like button if you like it! :D



User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 270
Reviews: 25

Donate
Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:15 pm
View Likes
ThatAndalite wrote a review...



Damn, that was amazing! Is this.. are the lights aliens of some kind? And where are they from? I just have so many questions, this was so exciting!

I didn't notice anything grammar/spelling-wise, so let me just spit out all of my questions.

What are those lights? How can they push/pull things? And why did Red want the red light to kill her dad, oh my god! I knew she was crying, but was it because of him? Did he do something to her?

My mind is just racing because of this piece. Please, keep writing things like this!




jegde1479 says...


Labrador,
this is a very interesting concept.
I like the way you wrote this but try not make it too cliche- with the abusive father and crying in the toilet. But id love to here more of this!

Also try being more specific about the powers- can the lights pull anything or do they have a certain amount of energy.

For a title: Don't walk into the light!- would be cool




Every time someone steps up and says who they are, the world becomes a better, more interesting place.
— Captain Raymond Holt