Bad Lights, Good Lights [Chapter 3.3]

by Lightsong

Chapter 3.3

We went to the portal’s place. According to Sunglow’s direction, it seemed like we were going to a secluded building in this area. Imran sat in the front passenger seat as insisted by Sarah. I sat behind them, looking at the surrounding through the close window. Street lights showered the road with considerable brightness, enough to let us know where we were going and what was in front of us.

After a few minutes later, we arrived to the place. As expected, we were at the edge of the neighborhood area, one that did not receive lights from the street. Perhaps there was problem with them but due to lack of complaints - the place seemed to be for ghosts, anyway - it wasn’t checked by the... road people, whatever you called them.

Along the line of buildings, there was a tall one where the lights led us to. We couldn’t see the top of it as it seemed to blend with the night. There was a hole on its wall - it had no door. When we were starting to pass through it, Sunglow said loudly, “Stop.”

She turned to us - at least that was what I thought, with the swirling glowing line around her having a part where the line broke. The broken part spun to us. “We can’t trust the exact location of the portal to you humans. Although you are not in our enemies’ side, they can possess you and extract the information you have about it.”

“But they know we headed here,” Sarah said, interrupting. She folded her arms, obviously not pleased to hear what to do and what not.

“They do, but they don’t know the exact location of the portal. I didn’t lie to you when I said only lights could travel to it,” Scarlet said, backing up his princess’ words.

I and Imran exchanged glances. He nodded. I turned my attention to them. “Alright, let have the lights do their business. They know what they’re doing. We can stay here,” I said, leaning to the wall near the hole. “I’m guessing you all won’t be far away from us to avoid breaking the synchronization.”

Scarlet floated up and down. “You’re right,” he said. “Keep your guard up. If there’s trouble, feel free to shout for us.”

I rolled my eyes, giving him a hint of smile. “Be careful.”

He floated in the same fashion, and followed Sunglow to the building. It was dark in there before they approached, and eventually, the mix of red and gold light disappeared from view. Sarah sat besides me with her knees bent and her arms locking them. It was quiet here - an eerie silence.

She looked at me with a worried frown. “I hope they’re going to be fine.” She looked at Imran, who rested his back at the front of the car, his hands folded and sheltered his head.

“They’re going to be fine,” he said, a smooth voice calming both of us. His eyes were fixed on the sky. “I’ve known Silver for a while. I think they’re fiercer than her even though her power might be superior than them.” He smiled, perhaps on the memory of him with Silver.

I rubbed my hands, the air now being a bit too cold. “I’ve been meaning to ask you that. Tell me about her.”

Sarah stared on the ground, but I knew she was all ears. Imran closed his eyes. “It was two years ago, as you know,” he said, taking a deep breath. “I met her in school, outside the school block. She was hiding under the table although she didn’t have to - she could turn invisible to anyone she liked. I was a bully victim at that time. She helped went through it. Well, she didn’t really help, but her power let me decide what to do to those bullies.

“She let me experience what did it feel like to be the bully, and turn your bullies to your victims. It didn’t feel right. I was... I didn’t know why it was like that, but I knew I didn’t want it to happen to me. I didn’t they were aware of that, that they didn’t want what they did to those they bullied to happen to them. But I got my lesson. I was determined to understand more about humans.” He opened his eyes, looking at me before shifting her attention to Sarah. “That’s about it.”

Sarah looked at Imran and raised her eyebrow. “The short version of it. You still haven’t told us what her power was.” She stood up and brushed the dusts on her butt. She looked at the hole-that-was-supposed-to-be-a-door. It was obvious she couldn’t wait to see them back.

Imran smiled. He sat at the tip of the car, tapping his fingers on it. “As the saying goes, ‘A picture is worth more than a thousand words’.”

Sarah rolled her eyes. “Whatever,” she said. “I don’t like riddles and puzzles. I guess I’ll see it soon. How about you, Mer?”

“I found him yesterday, in the toilet, and in the toilet bowl,” I said, and chuckled. “It was a bit funny and creepy at that time. He was like all mysterious and serious. Said about his bad people wanting to do harm on teenagers or something like that. Said I should save them too and be a hero.” I shrugged. I didn’t tell them my conversation with Scarlet about my father. Didn’t think it was important.

Sarah giggled. “Yup, Sunglow’s like that too.”

Right at that, a faint gold light passed through me. I turned back and saw Sunglow in there with Scarlet...and a grayish light with them. That was fast, almost like Silver was expecting to be called back. It was a pale light - definitely Silver. I gasped. “She’s beautiful,” I said, acknowledging how Silver stood out like Sunglow out of the batch.

Scarlet didn’t stand out as much, but I wasn’t going to tell him that.

The three orbs were going to pass the hole when suddenly, an ugly dark purple light covered it, sticking them with it. They were frozen mid-way, stuck with it. “What the -” Scarlet said, unable to move. “What’s going on?” I could hear the confusion in his voice and the drop of anxiety.

“They’ve found the portal,” the light, Silver, said. Her voice was sultrier and gentler than Sunglow’s. “They’ve set a trap to kill the lights who try to get out of this building. I can sense it burning my energy.” As she finished speaking, I could see her turning smaller.

Scarlet cursed. Imran tried to get pass the surface of the purple light but when his finger came into contact with it, a spark of light came from it and he instinctively held back his hand, shaking it. He looked at it and saw his thumb had a burn mark. “Humans can’t pass through it either,” he said, sucking it to sooth it. “What are we going to do.?”

Sarah and I exchanged glances. I could feel sweat trickling down my forehead. I had no idea how, and the lights were moaning in pain. None of them asked for our help, which might be a light’s thing, but it didn’t help. Both my hands turned into a fist. I felt useless and I hated this feeling. I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to remember everything about lights.

It was shameful to admit, but it was only during this moment I remembered God. Ya Allah, please help me - help us, I prayed silently, my mind having a whirlwind of recalling.

Carlito wrote a review...

Hello again! :D

I think this is one of your stronger chapters as well. Just like the last time I said this, I think what worked for me was that there was a clear focus to this section, there was one event, and you stuck to it and developed it. I liked the little cliff-hanger and bit of tension there at the end, but I think you could amp up the emotional intensity of this whole chapter.

This opening is a bit vague and a bit turny. "We went to the portal's place" makes it sound like they've already arrived at this place, but then you show how they get there. "in this area" - what area? Where are they?
I would back up a second. At the end of the previous chapter you showed us how they were going to get there, so I would start this chapter with that actual journey. Information about how they know where to go, what they see along the way, what Merah is thinking about or worrying about as they get closer would be appropriate.
Then I would thoroughly describe this place and what it looks like. All I know about it right now is that they're sort of in a neighborhood but not quite and there's a secluded building and that's where they're going. I want to know a lot more about what these surroundings look like. Paint me a picture with your words. And how do they know where to stop? What kinds of thoughts or feelings does Merah have when the stop and she knows where they'll be going? Give me some emotion so we can ramp up the emotional intensity.

When we were starting to pass through it, Sunglow said loudly, “Stop.”

What's "it"? Is it the building with the hole in it? How are they going to pass through a building?

“We can’t trust the exact location of the portal to you humans. Although you are not in our enemies’ side, they can possess you and extract the information you have about it.”

What does Merah think of this information? How does she feel about the idea of potentially being possessed by the enemy?

How would the enemy know that? Are they being watched? I don't remember any discussion of that or that being brought up as a possibility.

What's going through her mind during that glance? What does she suppose is going through Imran's mind during that glance? What kind of internal monologue is happening that would lead her to make the executive decision she does here? How is she feeling about this situation? Is she nervous for the lights? Is she nervous to be left out in the open without them? Is she ready to just get Silver and get out of here? Etc.

What's going through her mind that makes her roll her eyes? Where is that coming from?

It was quiet here - an eerie silence.

I really liked this little detail. Having things be dark and eerie immediately sets up a level of suspense. There are already a lot of unknowns going into this situation, and the fact that it's quiet and eerie adds to the mood. You can ramp this up by showing what's going on in Merah's mind right now about this situation. Is she worried? What's she worried about? What is she afraid could happen? What is her plan if things go wrong? Etc.

I rubbed my hands, the air now being a bit too cold.

Nice job showing her worry, now show us what's going on inside her head during this moment.

“I’ve been meaning to ask you that. Tell me about her.”

I feel like a lot of this information about Silver is stuff we already know. I thought Imran already told us how he first encountered Silver and what she did for him.
Since Sarah doesn't know the story, what you could do to keep it from sounding repetitive is to start the dialogue with something like: "Imran closed his eyes and first recounted the story he told me about how he found Silver and how she helped him when he was being bullied." It reminds the reader of the story we already know without re-stating the entire thing. Then move into the new information which is his second paragraph of dialogue ("She let me experience...."

It was obvious she couldn’t wait to see them back.

How is it obvious? Show in how she's talking or in her behavior that she's anxious or worried right now. Maybe she's repeatedly looking at the opening or she's talking fast or something like that to supplement Merah's assumption here.

Huh? He didn't answer the question and Sarah just let it go. I would expect him to press him a little more for a better answer. (Unless she's too worked up right now with worry to think straight). If that's the case, I would show that worry a lot more so it makes sense that that's why she's jumping around a bit.

Same here. This is information we already know because we saw it all happen. So Merah could say something like "I explained to her how I found Scarlet and what he told me." (Only make it more exciting than that :P)

I really liked this. It shows Merah's compassion and sensitivity towards Scarlet in that she's not trying to upset him or offend him with this comment.

This is when things start to get intense and this is when you really need to ramp up the emotional intensity. I want my heart to start to beat faster and I want to feel worried for these characters. You're describing what's going on really well, but it's a bit clinical and sort of devoid of emotion. I want emotion. I think the best way to do this is through Merah. I want to know everything that's going through her mind and how freaked out she is right now because if she's scared for the lights, I'm going to be scared for the lights.

“They’ve found the portal,” the light, Silver, said. Her voice was sultrier and gentler than Sunglow’s.

How is she saying this? You describe her voice as sultry and gentle, but I'd imagine in this do or die situation she's going to sound a bit more panicked or distressed. Use your characters to bring out the emotional intensity of this moment.

Imran tried to get pass the surface of the purple light but when his finger came into contact with it, a spark of light came from it and he instinctively held back his hand, shaking it. He looked at it and saw his thumb had a burn mark. “Humans can’t pass through it either,” he said, sucking it to sooth it. “What are we going to do.?”

How did he try to get through it, what's his reaction and how does he say that line when he fails? What does Merah think and what is she feeling as she sees Imran try and then fail? What is she worried is going to happen? Does she have a plan?

Sarah and I exchanged glances.

What kind of glances? What's going through her mind right now? How is she feeling? What does she suppose Sarah is thinking and feeling?

None of them asked for our help, which might be a light’s thing, but it didn’t help. Both my hands turned into a fist. I felt useless and I hated this feeling.

Good! But give me mooooooore. Thoughts and feelings.

I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to remember everything about lights.

You might consider stretching your timeline a bit. She's only known her light for a day, right? So she really can't know much about lights at this point.

I thought this was really interesting. People (religious or not) often turn to God in times of trouble, so I thought it was interesting that she did in this moment despite her feelings about her religion. I wonder if this entire experience will bring her closer to her faith.

That's all for now! Let me know if you have any questions/if anything was confusing and I'll see you soon! :D

Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:45 pm
Noelle wrote a review...

According to Sunglow’s direction, it seemed like we were going to a secluded building in this area.

This sentence leads to quite a lot of questions. Okay, maybe not a lot, but I do have a few. What exactly are these directions that Sunglow gives? You wouldn't want to give us every detail about the directions, of course. It just runs in to my second question when I ask how does Merah know it'll be a secluded building? I guess I'm just missing the big picture of where they live. I'm assuming there's a certain place that's not as populated as the others and that's how Merah knows it'll be secluded. Otherwise there are just too many missing pieces.

Well, that ending really threw me off. I didn't expect that.

The main thing I think that needs some fine tuning with your novel is the pace. I'm one to talk though considering I just want to barrel right through and shove all the action in everyone's faces. But it's good to pause, take a breath, and let the characters shine for themselves. As of now I don't feel quite attached to any of the characters. Imran is probably the one I know most about, which surprises me really since Merah is the narrator. We've spent so much time focused on these lights and what's going on with them that we haven't had time to learn about the human characters. When you go back and edit consider slowing the pace a bit. You don't have to be in such a rush to get to the "good parts". They'll come when they're supposed to.

One part that bothers me a bit is how easily Merah has adjusted to these lights. I know I must've mentioned it in a previous review, but I'm going to touch on it again because I was reminded of it during this chapter. Everything the lights tell her she accepts. She's not really second guessing any of it, spending time wondering how this even happened to her in the first place; she just dives straight in. If she had spent more time mulling it over and having conversations with Scarlet I might've been lead to believe it more. I just find it interesting that none of them, not just Merah, are thrown off by this.

I'm really enjoying the story so far. That cliffhanger is just great. I'll be getting to the next chapters soon!

**Noelle**

Lightsong says...

Thanks for the review! I should rephrase the ending - it's not that Merah didn't remember God, it's that this was the time she needed Him. >.>

backroadstraveler wrote a review...

Hey lightsong!

Interesting plot development, can't wait to see what happens next!

A few things got confusing, Carlito put a ton of comments down so I'm sorry if I'm reiterating some of those points.

As expected, we were at the edge of the neighborhood area, one that did not receive lights from the street. Perhaps there was problem with them but due to lack of complaints - the place seemed to be for ghosts, anyway
. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. If fact, you could probably do without Merah's later musings on why the lights don't work. I would actually revise the first two paragraphs- show us how Merah and everyone are leaving the brightly illuminated streets and turning down darker ones. It doesn't have to be this sudden transition from bright to dark.

There was a hole on its wall - it had no door
I had the same confusion as Carlito on this one- was there supposed to be a door? I simply imagined that it was a whole- like someone had taken a sledgehammer and made their own path. Add a little more description to this part- maybe the door was ripped off its hinges and the rotting wood could be seen a few feet away?

I also agree with Carlito about Imran's bit about being bullied- the entire thing was a bit difficult to follow. However, in addition to what he was saying
But I got my lesson. I was determined to understand more about humans.
feels out of place. It sounds like you've slipped into a light's diction here. Imran's human, so he'd probably be saying something along the lines of 'learn more about people' or 'I decided to learn as much as I could about people before judging them'- something like that.

in the toilet, and in the toilet bowl,
This part is a little redundant- you can probably get away with saying 'sitting in the toilet bowl' instead.

Other that that bit of confusion, I can't wait to see where this is going! You've got a great story here.
Hope some of this was helpful,
-backroadstraveler

Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:47 pm
Carlito wrote a review...

Hello! Here as requested! (And not taking a million days to get to it :p)

Reading this through once I didn't have any big issues with how the plot develops or super big picture things. I don't have a lot of context for the plot arcs and character arcs, but I think you're in pretty good shape big picture wise. So I'll be focusing on smaller scale things - how you tell the story, how things come across, etc. :)

I sat behind them, looking at the surrounding through the close window. Street lights showered the road with considerable brightness, enough to let us know where we were going and what was in front of us.

I don't think you need both of these sentences, I think you could combine them. You tell us the MC is looking out the window, and then in the next sentence you show us that. I would just show us. Something like: "I sat behind them, looking at the street lights showering the road through the window. [sentence about how the streetlights help them see where they need to go]." Do they not have headlights?

After a few minutes later, we arrived to the place.

This is very vague. I'm sure you told us what this place was in a previous scene, but what if it's been a while since that scene was last read? Give us a refresher and name where they are.
Also, you can do "after a few minutes" OR "a few minutes later", but not both.

Perhaps there was problem with them but due to lack of complaints - the place seemed to be for ghosts, anyway - it wasn’t checked by the... road people, whatever you called them.

This sentence felt a little clumsy to me. It doesn't read smooth. You could do without it, but it does provide some interesting insights into the setting. Is there a way you can break it up or simplify it?

There was a hole on its wall - it had no door.

I would switch the order here. When I read "hole on its wall" I picture a dilapidated building or some sort of structural damage. Then I learn there's no door so I have to go back and assume that the hole is serves as the door? I think readers would make that connection easier if you talk about the lack of door first: "The building had no door, there was a hole in the wall [that does what - allows entry? serves as a door?]."

Your tenses got a little changed up here. Try "We started to pass through [and then specify what "it" is], Sunglow..."

She turned to us - at least that was what I thought, with the swirling glowing line around her having a part where the line broke. The broken part spun to us.

This might be my own ignorance from not reading the previous sections, but I have zero idea what this means.
(I don't think the slashed part is necessary. It makes things confusing because I'm not sure if Sunglow did this or not).

I really like that you added in the "interrupting" and the action of her folding her arms. It gives a lot of insight into her personality. I'm not sure if you need the slashed part because it tells us information the reader can deduce from the action you just showed us.

I and Imran exchanged glances. He nodded. I turned my attention to them.

It should read "Imran and I". I would also combine those last two sentences - "He nodded, and I turned..."

I said, leaning to the wall near the hole.

I think "against" would sound better than "to".

He floated in the same fashion, and followed Sunglow to (into) the building. It was dark in there before they approached, and eventually, the mix of red and gold light disappeared from view. Sarah sat besides me with her knees bent and her arms locking them. It was quiet here - an eerie silence.

I get what you're trying to say and show here but I think you could develop it a little more. (Talking about the underlined sentence).
What happened as soon as they entered the building? What does their light do to the dark space? How does the light change as they move into the building? How long until they can't see the light anymore? - This may need to be more than one sentence, and I know you can make it sound much prettier than my analytical questions :)
And then I would start a new paragraph with Sarah's reaction and what she does once they can't see the light anymore because you're switching focus.

I was a bully victim at that time.

I think "I was being bullied at the time" would sound better.

She helped went through it.

I think "She helped me through it" or "She helped me get through it" or "She helped me as I went through that" would sound better.

I didn’t they were aware of that, that they didn’t want what they did to those they bullied to happen to them.

Read this out loud. I think the wording is really confusing.

You do a really nice job of adding in description and action throughout your dialogue. It makes it much more interesting to read, helps us get to know your characters, and it feels like I'm listening to real people rather than talking heads! :)

Right at that, a faint gold light passed through me.

I'm not sure you need the preposition here. I think you could skip right to what happens.

I turned back and saw Sunglow in there with Scarlet

In where? (I know it's the hole or the building, but specify that).

You've done a really nice job of building the suspense in this scene! I love it when chapters end in cliff-hangers! :) There are a lot of things about this world I don't understand (which I'm 99% sure is because I'm coming in late), but I think you have really interesting characters and this chapter definitely left off on an intriguing note!

One thing I would try is reading your chapters out loud. Put the font in a different size and/or font than you're used to (to make it look really different to your eyes) and then read it out loud. You'll catch a lot of weird phrasing and things like that by doing that :)

Let me know if you have any questions or if anything I said was confusing!

Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:28 pm
SoVirgoMaleke says...

I like that you have so much inspiration. Keep up the good work. :)

Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.
— Abraham Lincoln