Bad Lights, Good Lights [Chapter 2.2]

by Lightsong

Scarlet and I waited for Imran to come in front of the school gate. It was two forty-five in the evening and the sun was scorching. I felt like getting fried like a steak. I swiped a sweat trailing from forehead to my cheek and decided to seek shelter under the guard’s post. The outer roof was thin but it was enough to shield my upper body from the hot sunlight. There were other students waiting just like me.

Maybe I should go to the bus station just a few meters away from the school gate. I sent a Whatsapp message to Imran saying I waited for him there. I walked briskly to the waiting place, noticing a few blurry figures, my hand using a book which I had been using to fan myself to shield my eyes from the blinding sunlight. When I arrived, I found the figures were three students, two of them sitting at the provided long chair while the other rested his back against the transparent station’s wall.

I joined the two students, giving them a brief smile before recalling what had happened after school. When I exited the class at that time, God must had been playing with my fate as I saw the Blue House member from earlier who sprinted as if he was trying to emulate The Flash. He was walking down the stair at the edge in front of the corridor, leaving the second floor where my class was in. Fortunately, his eyes were glued to the stair and his steps were as slow as hungry man who hadn’t eat for a week.

The hungry man looked like him too. That boy needed to eat more with that thin body size he had. “Wait!” I said loudly to him, increasing my speed to catch up with him. It wasn’t hard. After a few seconds I was behind him. I grabbed his shoulder and turned him around. Not the smoothest move but effective, I guess.

His eyes widened and he stopped breathing. The time seemed to freeze for a few breathes before he shook his shoulder to loose my grab and sprinted away from me when he was free. Everything happened too before I could register properly. Does he just run away from me? I frowned, my mouth opened in disbelief.

“Hold on!” I said, reaching the ground floor. When I stepped on the ground, I saw him running across the parking lot, maneuvering the teachers’ cars without stopping.

I pursued him, running as fast as I could. I wasn’t much of a runner so I yelled occasionally for him to stop. We ran down the path to the main school gate. When I was passed it, he vanished. I didn’t know where he was and had my breathes become jagged to search him around, so I gave up and waited for my brother instead. That was when I realized the hot sunny day.

Oh well. Searching the light companions was like peeling layers of onion - too unpleasant it made you go teary. Except I wasn’t teary, of course. Still, it was unpleasant. I fished out my mobile phone, checking if there was any message from Imran or anyone. There was none. When I put it back - right one cue - Imran arrived riding a silver motorcycle, wearing a white helmet painted with fiery black patterns.

I went to him. In the motorcycle’s container-like thing was a plain black helmet. I took and wore it before sitting behind Imran. He let out subtle coughs and I groaned. If it wasn’t because there was only one motorcycle, I would’ve rode mine. I hugged him tightly, my hands tying his stomach like a rope, attaching myself to him. There was never a time when I didn’t do like this since he always reminded to do so.

We went to our house with a speed that would make a granny get heart attack if she was put at my seat. Imran wasn’t much a patient rider when it came to maintaining the riding speed.

~*~*~

“So, how about it?” I said, launching myself to Imran’s bed, savoring the fluffiness of it. Somehow, it was fluffier than mine. I hugged his pristine pale blue pillow tightly. Ah, heaven. The pillow smelled like a vanilla ice-cream, the same perfume he always wore to school, the one that would attract girls to approach him if I didn’t act like his fierce guardian. Scarlet floated beside me.

He was sitting on on his studying table, swinging his feet. He looked at me with a hint of smile and Asian black eyes, probably amused at what I was doing. Well, if I wanted to be childish, I would just go to him. He didn’t mind - it lifted his mood, in fact, because he once said he didn’t need to think carefully of his actions and whatnot. He was free to do anything he wanted - within reasons, of course.

He groaned. “It was super difficult. I couldn’t find anyone. I don’t have someone as a GPS for that, and even if someone demonstrates an unusual feat, I can,” he said, nodding to Scarlet before shifting his attention to me.

“Well...” I said, having an idea in my mind, “perhaps you need a light. Who’s the light visiting you two years ago? Silver, isn’t it?” I grabbed a pale green blanket at the edge of the bed, covering myself with it. I glanced at Scarlet, waiting for his response.

“Silver isn’t part of the rescue team. Plus, she is playing a crucial role in our world right now.” Scarlet floated to the empty fluorescent light on the ceiling.

He phased through it, giving red light. It seemed like if we ran out of electricity, we could always use him. Wait, only Imran and I could see him. Maybe I could make a negotiation with Scarlet about this. I grinned, excited to see his reaction when I would bring up this matter to him. He could be a useful normal light.

“You have to talk to her about this. When she left me, she went to her world with a portal. I know that the portal isn’t really accurate when you use it to come here but it doesn’t happen like that the other way around, does it?” Imran said, holding his hand a few centimeters from his table. He looked under it and there was no shadow formed by Scarlet’s light.

Scarlet was silent but not for long. “Urgh, fine. The portals are in the underground, so only I can go there. I have to tell you though that our world is in war with shadows and dark lights, and she is helping with that.”

Imran nodded and smiled. “Yup, I’m sure they need to vary their arsenals. She’s definitely going to surprise the enemies.”

I raised an eyebrow. This Silver light sounded interesting and important. I would like to see her. I felt vibration from my pocket, and I fished out my mobile phone from there. I keyed in the password and a faint white light brightened the screen. A notification - a message from Sarah. She finally replied to my messages. I opened it.

You have to see this, Mer. I have this strange yellow light with me. It’s exciting! xoxo Sarah

My jaw dropped. I looked at Scarlet before giving my attention to Imran. “I think we just find a light companion,” I said, couldn’t keep the eagerness and excitement in my voice. “Scar, let’s go to my friend’s house. There’s a light we have to meet. Imran, take me there please.”

Carlito wrote a review...

Hello again! :D

Scarlet and I waited for Imran to come in front of the school gate. It was two forty-five in the evening and the sun was scorching. I felt like getting fried like a steak.

A few word choice things -
In the first sentence, "...Imran to come out front of the school gate."
In the second sentence, "...two forty-five in the afternoon..."
And the last sentence, "I felt like I was being fried..."
I like the way you set the scene again. Nice descriptions! :)

There were other students waiting just like me.

What is she waiting for?

Maybe I should go to the bus station just a few meters away from the school gate.

Why?

I walked briskly to the waiting place, noticing a few blurry figures, my hand using a book which I had been using to fan myself to shield my eyes from the blinding sunlight.

There is a lot going on in this sentence (walking, noticing, and shielding) and I think it could be broken up a bit and expanded on. I want to know more about these blurry figures. If they're not important, just take that bit out and keep it as one sentence.

When I arrived, I found the figures were three students, two of them sitting at the provided long chair while the other rested his back against the transparent station’s wall.

Yeah I think I would take it out up there and then here just say "when I arrived I noticed there were three other students already there. Two of them were sitting..." Saying there are "blurry figures" adds unnecessary ambiguity. They're just students.

before recalling what had happened after school.

I'd rather see this as it's happening rather than going back in time and having Merah tell us what happened.

That was when I realized the hot sunny day.

Unnecessary. It feels awkward to tack this on the end. How would she just now realize what the weather is like?

Oh well. Searching the light companions was like peeling layers of onion - too unpleasant it made you go teary. Except I wasn’t teary, of course. Still, it was unpleasant.

This is a good start at processing and I want more. She's just starting this searching journey and I want to know more about what she thinks about it so far and why. Connect what just happened to her more to her thoughts about finding light companions.

I fished out my mobile phone, checking if there was any message from Imran or anyone. There was none. When I put it back - right one cue - Imran arrived riding a silver motorcycle, wearing a white helmet painted with fiery black patterns.

Now I'm confused about whether we're still in this flash-back thing or if we're back to waiting for the bus and Imran shows up. Keep the timeline linear so it's not confusing about when we are.

~*~*~

“So, how about it?” I said,

I think you could have more of a transition between these two events. On the ride back to their house she could be thinking about what she's going to do when she gets there or what she wants to talk to Imran about or what she thinks the plan needs to be going forward. She could process the events of the day a bit or you could show us her personality through an internal monologue about what happens on the way back to the house.
Also, once this conversation started it took me a second to figure out exactly what they were talking about. Merah could clue us in a bit about what's coming on their drive over.

I don’t have someone as a GPS for that, and even if someone demonstrates an unusual feat, I can,” he said, nodding to Scarlet before shifting his attention to me.

This dialogue confused me. "someone as a GPS" - ? and "I can" - do what?

I think your conversations tend to move quickly and I want them to slow way down. I want Merah's thoughts and reactions throughout the dialogue. I want more dialogue and more description of what all is going on right now. Merah knows nothing about this world (and neither does the reader). I want her to ask a lot of good questions so we can understand things through her.
I'm confused about this portal and how Imran knows about it, what isn't accurate about it and what that means, why Scarlet seemed reluctant to explain, why only Scarlet can go to the underground portals, I want to know more about this war and how Silver is helping, what Imran means by varying their arsenals, and how Silver is going to surprise the enemies and how he knows that.
I also want to know more about how Imran feels about this situation. He had this light and the light left him. Hows he doing with that? What was his relationship like with this light? How does he feel that this light is now fighting in a war?

I liked the way you ended this chapter! I don't want to start sounding like a broken record, but things I've said in the previous chapters about the voice and the thoughts/feelings/descriptions can be applied here as well. Let me know if you have any questions or if anything I said was confusing and I'll see you soon! :D

Lightsong says...

Thanks for the review! :D Yeah, I think I better to work on the transition. Anyway, about the portal being inaccurate - it's like this. The lights can come here, but the location they'd arrive to isn't exactly as what they want it to. Which means they'll drift away a bit from it. It's the other way around when the light here goes back to their world, in which case they'll arrive at the exact location they want.

Pretzelstick wrote a review...

Hello Lightsong, I'm going to leave you today with only general thoughts/quotes, for the reason that I'm trying to adjust my reviewing style a bit and since I am participating in TeamTortoise and R.E.D. It seems right if I can change my reviewing style, so I'm sorry if this ends up as an experiment of some sort.

Anyways, let's go right into the review, shall we?
My favorite part of this chapter, was probably when they mentioned the blue light, Silver. I guess that I'm pretty pumped to see him appear in future chapter, as he has seemed to play a big role in Imran's life. And of course helping shape the underworlds and such.

You use too much repetition. For ex. in that first paragraph, you are making one point over and over again, and then that happened again when you were talking about how unpleasant it is to deal with these lights. It's just, that this kind of proves that you might have been scattered-brain while writing this, and there is always a way to fix these types of things. You go in with an imaginary "cutting tool".

I feel like this was quite a bit fast-paced, probably because Merah was running or panting in the majority of the chapter. The trick here to show the (your) writer's skill, is that you don't want to make the reader's be running along with the character while reading it. That's how I felt, because you whole scene/confrontation seemed very rushed, and then you abruptly switched settings into Imran's bedroom. Take a breather, you and your characters, and slow down a bit.

So about the plot, it seems like Merah for right now is just following two, maybe endless leads. I got the feeling that she was wasting her time in this chapter, or maybe it's that she just wanted to desperately grasp onto someone else who is experiencing the same thing that she is. But that all changes when Sarah calls her, but I had to wonder if you shouldn't make Merah show at least a little bit more hesitation before she easily believes what happened.

Also, in the flashback part of the novel, I only saw Scarlet mentioned one and only time. Since they are bonding and supposed to have some character development with Scarlet, I think that he should give some kind of opinion/guidance to Merah at all times, especially with whether or not it's worth it to chase the Blue Academy boy, and then also if she should even go and take a look at Sarah's new discovery. Honestly, I didn't even know that it was a flashback because of your transitions, like why are we remembering this in Merah's room? Or is it a flashback, because you may have edited it since Noelle reviewed it.

If you are transitioning main emotions, you made to make sure that it continues well. Right now, your work isn't that fluid, something that you could defintively work on improving. One way that I have found is that best way to do this, is to have those "gray areas" , like in between one sentiment and another, meaning that there won't be such an abrupt change in the tone. This could be one sentence or one paragraph, as long as it's actually there

Fortunately, his eyes were glued to the stair and his steps were as slow as hungry man who hadn’t eat for a week.

The hungry man looked like him too.

I guess that I was prety confused by this analogy. Is the hungry like the boy, or is Merah seeing a hungry man in front of him? Is there another man on the staircase with them? Please clarify by pinpointing the possibilities.

That's all that I have for this review of your chapter. I hope that it helps you improve, and if you have any questions please let me know. Also, feel free to leave any feedback on this review. Keep on writing, and I will come to the next chapter soon.

~P.S.

Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:54 pm
Noelle wrote a review...

Hi there!

Oh dear, I haven't reviewed this in over a month! D: So sorry about that.

It was two forty-five in the evening and the sun was scorching.

2:45 is technically the afternoon, first off. Second, I do believe that times don't get written out like that. Unless it's a time right on the hour (ten o'clock, eleven o'clock).

Maybe I should go to the bus station just a few meters away from the school gate. I sent a Whatsapp message to Imran saying I waited for him there. I walked briskly to the waiting place, noticing a few blurry figures, my hand using a book which I had been using to fan myself to shield my eyes from the blinding sunlight.

I've noticed quite a few places throughout your novel where the transitions are a bit lacking. This is one of those times. In the first line, Merah is thinking about going to the bus station. Then in the third sentences she's at the bus station. Who/what does she pass on the way there? What does the station look like? It's just too much of a jump from one thing to another.

I'm always a fan of the flashback used in novels. It gives the writer a good opportunity to move the story along without having to focus on every little scene that happens along the way. With that though, comes moderation. The flashback is only a memory, usually something that isn't quite as vivid as the actual event. The flashback in this chapter is even more than that too; it's just a memory that Merah is thinking back on. I feel like there's too much in it. There are three main points I took away from reading it: seeing the boy, stopping the boy/his reaction, Merah chasing him as he runs away. That's all we really need to know. And especially since this novel is written in first person, there are only so many things that Merah would choose to remember.

Another thing I want to comment on about the flashback is that it doesn't really seem to fit. Here's why. When I was reading it I imagined this happening halfway through the day, or a rather long time ago. But after realizing that this happening just before Merah left at the end of the day it all seemed a bit pointless. Why go back to a memory of something that happened approximately five minutes ago? Maybe think of starting off this part of the chapter with Merah's run in with this boy. It seems like it would fit much better there. Play with it a bit, move it around, see how it flows.

One thing to watch out for is consistency in emotions. In the second paragraph after the break, Imran is smiling, amused at Merah. But then at the beginning of the paragraph after that, without warning, he groans. Those two emotions don't really fit. There needs to be a transition between the two at least. There doesn't seem to be a reason for Imran to suddenly be frustrated. Especially since the question was asked before he was smiling at Merah.

The ending is quite the cliffhanger. I love it! Although if I were you I'd take out the "Imran, take me there please." It creates a break in the action and takes the focus away from this new yellow light, even for just a moment.

One thing I really like about your novel is the pacing. We're only in chapter two and it feels like we're getting into the thick of things. Merah has been with her light for a few days now and they've created a sort of bond. Scarlet is telling Imran and Merah more and more, which makes it seem like he's starting to trust them. There's a certain bond between the three of them that keeps them together and strong.

Your grammar is getting stronger. I can see a definite difference between this and the previous chapters I've read. I don't normally go for grammar and spelling comments in my reviews, but if you'd like me to point out all the grammar points I would be happy to. Just let me know.

I can't wait to read more! And I promise not to wait another month before getting the next review done :3

**Noelle**

Lightsong says...

Thanks! I'll be ecstatic to have you pointing out all the grammar errors. :3

RagingLive wrote a review...

Hi, Lightsong! RagingLive here to offer a review from Team Tardis! :D

First of all, I haven't read your other chapters, so this will be a review based solely on what I've gleaned from this chapter. I'm going to apologize ahead of time in case I make a remark that is unfounded based on other chapters or if I just plain old step on your toes.

I think you mean the afternoon, not evening. The evening is like dinner hours on until twelve pm. It's a simple fix, though! :)

I swiped a sweat trailing from forehead to my cheek and decided to seek shelter under the guard’s post.

The beginning of this sentence makes no sense. I think you either meant to say a 'bead' of sweat or something of the like. This can be fixed in multiple ways, though.
"I swiped at the sweat trailing from my forehead to my cheek and decided to seek shelter under the guard's post."
"I swiped at a bead of sweat trailing from my forehead to my cheek and decided to seek shelter under the guard's post."

When I stepped on the ground, I saw him running across the parking lot, maneuvering the teachers’ cars without stopping.

When I first read this sentence, I thought I had missed a point where he had stolen a teacher's car. Then I realized that he was running around them. You should probably make this a bit more clear, here's an example:
"When I stepped on the ground, I saw him running across the parking lot, maneuvering around the teachers' cars without stopping."
That reads a bit easier doesn't it?

Searching the light companions was like peeling layers of onion - too unpleasant it made you go teary.

Great simile! The only problem here is that the sentence after the hyphen makes little sense. I'll try to give you a rephrase, but I'm not sure if I fully understand it myself.
"Searching for the light companions was like peeling layers off of an onion - so unpleasant that it made you go teary."

We went to our house with a speed that would make a granny get heart attack if she was put at my seat.

I'm assuming that the narrator is talking directly about their granny, which leads me to advise you to capitalize 'granny'. Also, 'get' should probably be replaces with 'have' and 'at' with 'in'.
"We went to our house with a speed that would have made Granny have a heart attack if she was put in my seat."

the same perfume he always wore to school,

Okay, where I'm from, girls wear perfume and guys wear cologne. I'm not sure if that's how it is where you're from, but it was kind of confusing to me and didn't sound right.

I thought that your ending was well-executed with just the right hint of a cliff-hanging suspense. My only advice to you would be to watch your sentence patterns. Some of your sentences are really short and abrupt while other stretch on for a whole paragraph.

Keep writing and keep on smiling!! :D
~RagingLive

tigeraye wrote a review...

I'd add an "I was" between felt and like here. The way I initially read this, it seems like the narrator actually wanted to get fried like a steak.

A lot of "I"s here, maybe you could vary it up from "I did this, I did that." It continues throughout the whole chapter. There are a lot of sentences you could word different to avoid this repetition.

I dunno about this. Assuming it's something monumental, I'd think that would pop into mind first x_x

This paragraph is really well-written; the description is vivid and entertaining. Would like to see more like this one.

huh? Isn't this past tense? How is he making decisions, considering the events would have already unfolded. Maybe I'm looking too far into it but it seems weird.

I raised an eyebrow. This Silver light sounded interesting and important. I would like to see her.

Here it is again. "I would like to see her" would work better as "I had a sudden urge to meet her" or something like that.

A lot of times, stories will start out strong and eventually lose power as it keeps going. Here, I found it to be the opposite. The start is a bit sluggish, with an otherwise powerful narrative kept down by constant "I did this" sentences. The latter half is poised and sparingly dramatic enough to be engaged. The description of simple things like laying in a bed or checking a text message are done in an amazing, fleshed out detail that takes true skill to put down in words. This is a good chapter, overall, I'd say just watch your tenses and wording. There are a good number of sentences you could pick through and write in a more vivid, fluent way.

Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:07 am
SINGHAM says...

Hi.
This is siddharth.
Good story.
Just loved it.

As ideas are always better than their execution, so too must dough taste better than cookies.
— Horisun