z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Fairy Diary | Day 2

by Lib


(The words that have been Italicized is something that Diary is saying) 

Hi Dairy! Lily here! Hi.

Yesterday was hilarious! Andrealama got in so much trouble! She was sent to Headmaster's office and got suspended on her first week! Now, I won't see her devilish face for a whole two months! Yes! TWO MONTHS! :D

Today's Tuesday so NO SCHOOL! We fairies don't have school on Tuesdays and Wednesdays! So our weekdays are: Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday.

I'm stuck at home... doing the laundry. I have to wash every one of the stinky clothes on the stupid old washboard! BLUCK! It's, like, two thousand years old. Haha! Meany! 

I'm thinking of something. Something evil, obviously. 

Why don't I put baby pink coloring in all of Louis and Luke's clothes?! Should I do it? No. No?! How could you say 'no'? By saying 'no'. You are so evil! I think you got that the other way round. I'm supposed to call YOU evil. Shut up! 

~  ~  ~

I have officially put pink coloring into Louis and Luke's clothes. Isn't she just mean guys?

~  ~  ~

Luke screamed my name the next day down in the corridor and demanded an explanation. I held my laughter as I saw him wearing a pink hat, t-shirt, and jeans. Once my mom heard all the chaos in her fairy little house, she flew into the corridor and as she saw the clothes Luke was wearing, it was clear she was holding back laughter too.

"Lily, did it!" he had fumed.

Mom looked at me and called me 'darling' which annoyed Luke, so obviously, since Luke is Luke, he screamed that he was Mom's only darling in the entire kingdom! I think that's true. He IS quite a darling. Ugh! Everyone says that! He's a devil. No he's not! You are just jealous of him, that's why you are saying and doing such mean stuff to the poor boy!

Whatever, anyways, as he said this we heard a long depressed moan that came from the top of the stairs and down came... Louis. He flew up to me and shoved me to the ground and raised his fist to punch me. I struggled to get out of his powerful arms, but nope, I was stuck. :( 

Mom had yelled to Louis to control himself (Mom, you are my hero! I could have died right there!) Lol. Super Mom!

I did not know that my brother was THAT strong. But that's a good thing, right? Mhm. He could be my body guard once I take over the kingdom! You want to take over the kingdom?! Are you serious?! Why am I your diary again? You are mean! I want to rule the kingdom! I deserve the throne! Huh. Let me continue my story!

As Dad entered the house from work he questioned us about what was going on. Everyone had started talking at once.

Dad started laughing and pointed to Louis and Luke. He laughed so much that he fell to the ground! Can he really laugh THAT much? Yes, please stop interrupting! So polite... Anyways...

The boys' faces were as red as raspberries as they pointed to me and started talking at once. Two years later, when Dad got the explanation, he loo- It wasn't really two years, right? Jeez, I was just being sarcastic. So, once Dad got the full explanation he looked at me and called me 'darling'. Of course Louis and Luke, BOTH screamed at him ordering him, not to call me 'darling'. It's true, no one SHOULD call you 'darling'. Whatever...

All this craziness was getting on my nerves so I yelled at the top of my fairy little lungs and told them to SHUT UP! Then everything suddenly went quiet. I threatened to seal their lips with my wand if they didn't shut up. 

Then Luke did the stupidest thing. He started talking. So I sealed his lips. Will the spell wear off? It should. In how long? In a two weeks. Whaaaa?!

"Anyone else?" I then threatened, venom in my previously angelic voice. Everyone backed away slowly.

~  ~  ~

Nooo! Guess what? What? I... saw... Spill the beans! A celebrity? No! I saw Andrealama! So? What do you mean? Emalia was playing with her! How could she do that?! I don't know! 

Oh, just so you know Diary, I'm crying right now. *sniff* *sniff*. Cool. You are so mean! So are you! I know. Oh.

~  ~  ~

Earlier in the day, I asked Lea and Layla if they wanted to go to the park with me. We were having lunch -mashed potatoes- in the dining room. My favorite! Yummm!

Lea and Layla said okay. But then they said the sentence I hate the most: "Only on one condition!"

They said that I have to stay as far away from them as possible. I think a look of pure hurt flashed through my face -and it did- because they both started saying that it was a joke and they were just kidding. :( 

I quickly finished up my mashed potatoes and got ready while I waited for Lea and Layla to finish up their potatoes. 

Five minutes later, the three of us were walking to the park looking like three weirdly dressed up kids. Lea's outfit: Horse onesie. Layla's outfit: Horse onesie. My outfit: Horse onesie. The three of us looked like we were going to a slumber party or something.

~  ~  ~

I screamed to Lea and Layla BOTH to push me harder. The cool breeze had whipped my dark brown hair against my olive skin. I closed my almond-shaped eyes as the swing went way up into the air then down. Then up. Then down. As my swing slowed down I opened up my bright blue eyes and I saw the beautiful sunset. Then I saw Emalia... With Andrealama. 

I shouted to them to stop as I ran towards them. I guess they saw me and ran away. I slowed myself to a jog then stopped as I saw them giggling and rushing to the other side of the park. Where did they go exactly? To the slides, if you must know. It stabbed me when I saw Emalia giggling and playing around with Andrealama. Why didn't Emalia come and say hi to me? :( Probably because she wanted a new friend? But out of everyone, why would she choose Andrealama? I have no clue at all.

I then slumped my shoulders and walked back to Lea and Layla. Lea and Layla, being the wonderful older sisters that they are, asked what had happened. I simply just said: "Nothing... let's go home." So she dropped the topic and the three of us slowly walked back home.

~Lily


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
232 Reviews


Points: 1578
Reviews: 232

Donate
Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:34 pm
View Likes
LadyBug wrote a review...



Hi Klibby, it's Jadehere to review your lovely work, Fairy Diary! Even though I have a million assignments due, you know I love competition, and I want to get my next star! That aside, let me get straight into your novel piece.

Right off the bat, I like how this chapter is much longer, we get a feel for the characters more, which I love.

Today's Tuesday so NO SCHOOL! We fairies don't have school on Tuesdays and Wednesdays! So our weekdays are: Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday. I love your worldbuilding here, for a child, this is some amazing imagery. HOWEVER, I want to point out that it's clunky. Why? She's a fairy writing in her journal, why is she saying this to us? I wouldn't write "Dear diray I get Saturday and Sunday off." That is a fact to us as a society. Incorporate this better! You can have her get ready for school just for her parents to remind her, for weekend plans to be brought up with siblings, anything that feels more natural when world-building.

as he said this we heard a long depressed moan this line makes me uncomfortable... That's it...

My last critique is more generalized, your character keeps using emoticons to express her feelings. If this was in a different font, like a hand-writing looking one, I would understand, but right now it reads like you are unsure of how to express emotion.

That aside, I like your series! It's lighthearted so far, fun to read, and funny to mention to you. I can't wait to see more parts soon!




Lib says...


u can't wait can u



LadyBug says...


i cant



Lib says...


so much excitement



User avatar
970 Reviews


Points: 108
Reviews: 970

Donate
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:56 am
View Likes
vampricone6783 wrote a review...



So the diary talks back? Interesting. Does Emalia really like Lily? or is she just pretending to like her? I have a feeling she is going to get karma some day. My favorite character is the diary so far. It’s spittin’ facts! I feel like Lily might be a little spoiled. I wonder how everything will turn out. I’ll just have to wait and see. :) I hope that you will have a good day/night.




User avatar
616 Reviews


Points: 122617
Reviews: 616

Donate
Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:49 pm
View Likes
FlamingPhoenix wrote a review...



Hello, It's me Shikora again here with another review for you.

Let's get to it. I have so much to tell you.

So in this chapter I didn't see anything wrong, so I'm going to tell you what I liked.

This was a very funny chapter you a have written here. It gave me a few good laughs that's for sure. In this chapter I could see Lily gets up to a lot of trouble. And she takes great joy on her little pranks.

And as I read through your works, I can see this is mainly based on Lily's life, so there isn't really any plot, which is fine, I like just reading a story that is easy to understand, and will give me a good laugh. Which is something you have done here really well.

I like how in the last chapter you showed the connection between Lily and her friend, wile in this one you told us how she is with her family, and how they act around each other. By doing this, it let's us as the reader get to know her better, and that's something I like.

I also like it that you don't make your chapters to long, by doing this, it doesn't feel like your trying to stretch something that doesn't need to be.

Well that's it from me for now. I loved reading and reviewing this chapter for you, and I will review the next one soon. Never stop writing and have a great day/night.

Your friend
Shikora. :D

Happy review day!

Image




User avatar
498 Reviews


Points: 5966
Reviews: 498

Donate
Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:18 pm
View Likes
Que wrote a review...



Hi Liberty! Back here again. :)

I'm going to start out with some of the smaller things, just some thoughts while I'm reading along, and then go in for the overall suggestions.

She was sent to Headmaster's office and got suspended on her first week! Now, I won't see her devilish face for a whole two months! Yes! TWO MONTHS! :D

Considering that this is her first offense at a new school, I just think it's more realistic for Andrealama to be let off with a warning, or, if she's going to be suspended, maybe a total of two days to about a week. Of course, that's assuming that this school works in the same way as our normal human schools! If there's a good reason for a two month suspension, maybe you could mention it here.

You are so evil! I think you got that the other way round. I'm supposed to call YOU evil. Shut up!

I think it's probably a good idea to have the diary here with different opinions. If the diary thought that everything Lily did was justified, that would be terrible! But because the diary actually thinks that Lily is "evil", it offers us some perspective on her actions from someone with a different bias.

Isn't she just mean guys?

This line from the journal is breaking the fourth wall a bit by talking to the reader! I think that a sentence with a similar meaning but directed at Lily would work better here, something like, "I told you that you shouldn't have done that--that was mean!" or "Lily, that was really mean of you!"

Whatever, anyways, as he said this we heard a long depressed moan that came from the top of the stairs and down came... Louis. He flew up to me and shoved me to the ground and raised his fist to punch me.

This is a bit sudden. We know that Lily colored both of their clothes pink, but maybe adding a little phrase to show that Louis was looking in distress at his clothes would help with the context here. It seems quite sudden for Louis to just go right up to Lily and try to punch her!

He could be my body guard once I take over the kingdom!

This feels really ambitious! Especially for just popping up in the middle of the story. I think that if this is a real ambition, something that has an actual chance of happening, the diary should take more time to warn Lily away from that and tell her that's not a good idea. If she's just messing around, maybe the diary could say something like, "You're a little young for that right now, Lily", just to show that it's a joke.

Emalia was playing with her! How could she do that?! I don't know!

Oh, just so you know Diary, I'm crying right now. *sniff* *sniff*. Cool. You are so mean! So are you!

Here, I think the diary sort of changes perspectives. The diary seems to be on Lily's side with "how could she do that?", but then reminds Lily that she's the mean one. I suggest that you change the first sentence, or else make it heavily sarcastic--"Oh my heavens above, how could she do that to you? It's as if she's actually allowed to have other friends." That way the diary's character is consistent.

Lea's outfit: Horse onesie. Layla's outfit: Horse onesie. My outfit: Horse onesie. The three of us looked like we were going to a slumber party or something.

I'm not sure why this detail is necessary? It doesn't add much to the story, in my opinion. If it has an overall purpose, maybe you could slip some foreshadowing into it. If not, then I'm not sure that it really needs to be there.

The cool breeze had whipped my dark brown hair against my olive skin. I closed my almond-shaped eyes as the swing went way up into the air then down. Then up. Then down. As my swing slowed down I opened up my bright blue eyes and I saw the beautiful sunset.

You're sort of just dumping out all of Lily's physical attributes here--I always want to do that with my characters, but it's usually better to sprinkle those details in throughout the narrative! It sounds especially weird here because she's writing in her diary, and you don't usually say those things about yourself while writing a story.

Okay, so overall thoughts. As Horisun said below, your story begins to sound less like a diary entry and more like, well, a story as you approach the end. I know I mentioned before that the format might get a bit constricting, and here's a good example of when you might want to get away from it.

Also, Lily seems to be getting more and more bratty! She's demanding and wants to prank her brothers for no reason at all. Hopefully, in upcoming chapters, she'll be able to realize that she can be nicer to people. But right now, I think that she can have some more depth. Even though she and the diary both agree that she's 'evil', and she does seem concerned that Emalia is playing with Andrealama, she could have a lot more depth of feeling. Maybe she wonders whether it was actually worth it to get Andrealama in trouble, or maybe she's glad that her parents appreciate a good joke like dying her brothers' clothes pink. She could have worries and hopes other than her love for pranks and her apparent desire to take the throne. Think about how you could weave in some more character traits!

Last of all, I still haven't seen much mention of fairies here. There was the spell that Lily used, and Louis flew, but other than that I almost forget that they're fairies! They even have a normal park and playground like humans. Maybe, going back to that line about Horse onesies, you could mention something about wing-holes just so that you're adding in fairy details occasionally. What makes fairies special?

I feel like this chapter is more of a transition, building up into something else that's going to happen. I'm very excited to see what that might be! It's nice to finally see a bit of Lily's family in action, as well as the diary. Hopefully we'll be able to meet Andrealama as well!

Happy writing!

-Q




Que says...


Oh, and if you want you can tag me when you post the third part!



Lib says...


Thank you very much for this review, you have no clue how much I appreciate it! :D

I am sooooo telling you when I post the third part!!! :P



Lib says...


UGH I FORGOT TO. Can you review the rest please...
Heh heh...



User avatar
461 Reviews


Points: 7451
Reviews: 461

Donate
Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:29 pm
View Likes
Horisun wrote a review...



So, you did a great job showing the characters feelings, however, there are a few things you can work on.
1. Lilly calling herself evil kind of makes her less relatable, we can already tell what she's doing isn't right, we don't need her stating shes "evil"
2. I was a little confused about the diary talking back to her. And in became inconsistent later.
3. Lastly, at the beginning, you did a amazing job giving it the feeling of a real diary, but towards the middle and end, was didn't feel like it was a diary anymore. I think it has to do with the dialogue. I'd you made it more like she was telling someone in person, it would have a more diary feel. LIke , instead of having conversations, you say "Mom was telling me off" (but with more detail

Despite everything I said, don't let me tell you how to write, this is just what I think could improve your writing. Great job, and happy holidays!




Lib says...


Thank you so very much for the review! And happy holidays to you too!

~Liberty500



Lib says...


By the way, I don't know if I should have mentioned it, but the diary is 'magical'



Lib says...


I FIXED IT!!!



User avatar
453 Reviews


Points: 825
Reviews: 453

Donate
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:33 pm
Lib says...



I have a mini-challenge for you guys. Try to guess what will happen next! :D




Horisun says...


Drama? The main character will see the error of her ways? Maybe she will become ambitious, and tries to claim the throne? Maybe she's a little young. But that would be interesting. Wait, maybe she will meet a human, and gets discovered by a scientist and is kidnapped! How would she write in her diary though?



Lib says...


Oh no... You just... Never mind... *gulp*




I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.
— Thomas Edison