Home » Literary works » Short Story » Other

White Wolfina Hood

by Liberty

Grrrrrrrrr

Ugh, stupid stomach, it won't stop growling. I've been searching for some yummy food for hours in the woods and I still haven't –

Whoosh!

What's that? Let me go check. Oh! A young girl. She looks like a nice young one! She's got the brightest blue eyes and the goldenest golden hair. She's got pale skin and rosy cheeks. She looks plump. Hmm. Mummy said never to go close to strangers. But this is an emergency! I'll die of hunger if I don't eat and it'll all be Mummy's fault. What-ever. I'm going.

"Hi, there!" I exclaim. The girl screams. She screams so loud that I must plug my ears.

"What do you want?!" the girl screams again. "Don't eat me!"

"Jeez, has anyone never taught you manners? You're not supposed to greet someone with a scream." I mutter.

"I know. It's just that I've been taught to scream when I see a standing wolf that talks and has huge fuzzy arms!" the girl says. She has insulted me. Greatly. I want to cry. 

"Let’s start over again, then shall we?" I question.

"Sure. I guess." the girl says.

"Hi, there!" I re-start.

"Hey."

"My name is Wolfina, and I'm really hungry-" I introduce.

"Don't eat me!" she screams.

"Ugh, I won't!" I scream back. "All I want is that metal basket of baked goods that you're holding in that very tiny hand of yours."

"Why in the world are you being so precise?" she asks, curious.

"I have been taught to be a precise young female." I huff and fold my 'fuzzy' arms around my chest. I have to admit, they are quite fuzzy. She sure is getting on my nerves! I'll start howling for my pack if she keeps on doing this to me.

"What-ever. You are not taking this basket of mine. I'm taking it deeper into the woods for a picnic with my besties." she rolls her eyes.

"Can I know your name before our conversation goes any farther?" I say, irritated.

"Red. Red Riding." she finally introduces.

"Oh! Nice to meet you Red." I say, pulling out a huge 'fuzzy' hand for Red to shake. She backs away. Oh, right, I'm a wolf. Everyone's afraid of me. I roll my eyes slightly so Red doesn't notice.

"Can I come with you to the picnic?" I ask, jumping with excitement. It's going to be my very first picnic! Woo-pee!!

"No." she says flatly. We stare at each other for a bit. She is so getting on my nerves. I howl. I howl loud. I howl so loud that it's Red's turn to plug her ears. We hear running. We hear growling, from everywhere, all sides.

Grrrrrrrrr

This time it's not coming from my stomach. It's the pack. My pack.

"What is it?" the head wolf growls.

"She won't give me any food!" I whine like a baby and stomp on the dried up summer grass.

I look at Red, a smug look on my face. She looks pale.

The head wolf gets ready to pounce at Red and orders everyone else to do so too. They all circle Red and get closer. And closer. And closer. Until they are only a few feet apart.

They all start sneering and growling. Some are even drooling. Humph, looks like someone forgot their manners! One of the wolves are so deadly close to Red. Okay, that's it! I can't control it anymore!

"STOP!" I yell at the top of my lungs. All the wolves turn their heads to look at me. I do it so fast that I myself don’t even realize I did it. Me swooping in to get Red. Me picking up Red. Me running deeper into the forest. It all just happened way too fast for me to even remember.

The next thing I remember is darkness. I'm all alone in the middle of the forest, until I hear a familiar voice. Wake up, wake up, dear. Please wake up! I'll never scold you again! Wake up! Mummy! I jump up to my paws and look around. The entire wolf pack is around me in the cave. So we aren’t in the forest! The mood is tense. Mummy starts scolding me.

"I told you not to go out in the woods alone! I told you to always eat what we hunted for! I told you never to talk to strangers! I told you! I told you!" Mummy starts sobbing and flops onto the ground. "And this is what happens to my baby! She gets hit on the head with a stupid metal basket!" she starts scolding me even more.

"Can I go look for the girl?" I interrupt. Mummy looks shocked.

“White Wolfina Hood, you still care about that hideous girl?” she roars. She said my entire name, which is a sign that she’s very disappointed in me.

I look down at my paws, embarrassed. It’s considered a shameful thing if you ask to look for a prey alone. In my pack, we all look for the prey together, I know, I know, you probably think it’s the worst rule in the world. Unless, some wolf is sick or is just not capable of hunting, like the cubs, or the old people. But, that’s just how it is here.

“I’m sorry, Mummy.” I whisper.

“It’s fine. But don’t think the lecture’s over yet! Half of it’s not even done!” she yells. A few wolves snicker. Mummy looks around the pack and sneers which makes the wolves whimper.

“Let’s go for a quick hunt.” the head wolf orders, changing the tense mood in the cave. Every wolf starts howling with joy, we haven’t gone on a hunt for so long! Yay! I prance to the mouth of the cave with everyone else.

“Don’t even try to leave, you have to rest.” A voice says. I turn my head and see the head wolf. I bow my head, “Yes, Daddy.”

Yes, the head wolf is my Daddy. He gives me way more freedom than Mummy. I like him better. Don’t tell Mummy. Or else!

***

Aaoooooooo!

The pack is back! Yay! They sound like they had a successful hunt. I get up from my nap and trot to the mouth of the cave. Mmmmm. Smells like rabbits!

Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:57 pm
Ishan212 wrote a review...

Liberty500
Hi I'm Ishan and I am really happy that I read your story, White Wolfina Hood.

Great plot, not like the original Little Red Riding Hood, where the girl is the victim. It was rather cool for writing the story with the wolf's perspective.

Ya, your story is everything,
short, good and ya brings a smile.

Read a couple of your stories, you happen to be a great author!!!
Keep Writing!!!
Ishan

Liberty says...

Thank you so much!

Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:00 pm
Winged067 says...

Hello! So I guess I'm supposed to give you a review? lol.

The story was really good, it had a nice plot. And I could tell that this is based off on Little Red Riding Hood, and that overall made it very creative and such.

Although, there was still a few things that didn't make that much sense to me. Such as, the setting. You didn't really describe the setting, and the setting is very important to the story at hand. You just mentioned that they were in the woods, and you didn't really say what the characters looked like. But you did build up there personality nicely, and in the end, it was able to have good character development.

For the ending, it ended very abruptly, so I don't know whether or not this piece is done, but I don't think (if it is done), that it should end there, without resolving anything, or the reader not finding out what happened to Red.

Anyway, this piece is really good, and I hope that my criticism was helpful to you (sorry if it wasn't).

bye bye!

Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:00 pm
Winged067 wrote a review...

bye bye!

Liberty says...

This was really helpful! Thank you!
Yeah, I probably might add something extra or a second part. Probably a second part.

Winged067 says...

i'm looking forward to it!

Liberty says...

:)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:07 pm
Fantascifi66 wrote a review...

Hi!!
Fanta with the review you requested!
Wow, this was really good! I really enjoyed it!
Let's get right into the review!

I couldn't find any spelling mistake whatsoever, so already there have you really impressed me!
Although, I do wonder if you meant to write what-ever,
Or if it was supposed to be whatever. But great job!

Ahh, suggestions, suggestions. I have some, but they aren't really great. Here they are:

"What's that? Let me go check. Voila! A young girl."

I don't really think you need the "Voila!", Although it's very cool. I just thought it was a little unsettling, but you don't need to change it. Instead you can put like "Oh!" Or something. Fits better, in my opinion.

"STOP!" I yell at the top of my lungs.

Ok, this escalated a little too quickly. Try to put in some more details (oh, I know it's super boring to hear that), just for that one area. Like, is some of the wolves sneering, jumping off rocks, accidentally kicking stones across the ground, stuff like that.

That was all my suggestions.

I liked every bit of this story, especially this:

"Wake up, wake up, dear. Please wake up! I'll never scold you again! Wake up! Mummy! I jump up to my paws and look around. The entire wolf pack is around me in the cave. So we aren’t in the forest! The mood is tense. Mummy starts scolding me."

Oh, how much I love this. Thank you for writing that.

Well, I'm sorry if this wasn't helpful, but I really liked it so it was hard to criticise anything at all.
As always, this is only my opinion, and you have every right to just ignore me.

But thank you for bringing this piece to my attention, as it has made some of my day.

Your friend,

Fanta

Liberty says...

Thank you so much for the review! <3

Fantascifi66 says...

You're welcome! <3

To be absolutely certain about something, one must know everything or nothing about it.
— Olin Miller