12+

Unlucky 13 - Chapter 17

by Lib

Grams, Mum and I were standing in front of the front door. We hugged everyone – but Aunt Martha avoided Mum. Izzy had stifled a sob when I embraced her. "I'm going to miss you so much." she had mumbled into my shoulder. I had stroked her hair and let go.

Soon when we had arrived, I was tumbling out of the car, clutching my stomach. I get car-sick too easily. Avery and Uncle Sim helped us get our suitcases out and dropped us off at the front. Mum hugged Uncle Sim for what I thought was for too long, but eventually let go when I told her we were getting late.

"Gate fifteen..." Grams murmured as we wandered through the crowd after we had checked in our bags.

"Here!" I exclaimed, pointing.

We settled down, and watched the TV that hung above on the wall. It was only eleven o`clock. Time passed and I heard snippets of conversations from people passing by. At one point, I seemed as if I wasn't there and started feeling light.

My thoughts faded when the man over the speaker spoke. "Gate fifteen, gate fifteen, your plane is about to land.”

+++

Our trip back to Chicago had been pretty much uneventful, except for the time when we were at the airport, getting our luggage and a burly looking man, about twice the size of me, was holding my suitcase and was about to walk away.

But I caught him in time, "What do you think you're doing, sir?" I said in a stern voice, getting looks from people around me, "That's my suitcase you got there." I pointed.

He glared at me, threw my suitcase at me, and stomped off. The way I had acted is still a mystery to me, but I liked it. Grams and Mum had laughed when they saw my expression walking back to them.

We had hailed a taxi and in no time we were home.

"There's no place better than home." Grams sighed, flicking on the lights of the kitchen.

"I like this place, Mother." Mum chirped. "It's cozy." she walked out of the kitchen and I followed her into the living room, where she dropped her suitcase, unzipped her jacket, and flopped onto the couch, me following suit.

We got a call from Uncle Sim. “Hey, Simmy!” Mum said into her phone.

I still wondered why I didn’t get to have any British accent. I want a British accent. Why do I have to suffer with a boring American one? After all, I was born up in London.

“Put it on speaker, Mum.” I nudged her.

“How are you guys?” Uncle Sim asked.

“Good. We arrived okay. A teeny incident took place, but nothing more.” Mum grinned at me knowingly.

“What happened?” he asked, and we explained the entire thief-who-almost-stole-my-suitcase incident. We heard laughter from the other end, and instantly, I knew everyone else had been listening. I got a sense of love, and for once, I felt like I was cared for and that I had a family.

Outside, the trees were waving at us, welcomingly, and the birds were all nestled in its branches. The sun was setting, and the houses on the horizon looked fascinatingly eerie. Grams had plopped down on the couch next to Mum and was talking to the rest of them.

Without interrupting their conversation, I crept upstairs with my phone. I needed to talk to a specific someone.

+++

The phone rang four times before the Rowe’s home phone was picked up. “Hello, Ella speaking.”

“You sound like a clerk.” I mocked.

“Julia!” she exclaimed.

“How are you?”

“I’m fine, how about you? How is Quebec treating you?”

“Forget about me. And forget about Quebec. I’m back.” I said flatly. “Why did you do this to me, El?”

I sat on my bed, squeezing the sheets, then decided I didn’t want to sit. I got up, and walked into the bathroom, staring at myself in the mirror. My mascara was perfectly okay, but I knew that in a matter of seconds, it would be smudged.

Ella still hadn’t said anything.

“I’m talking to you, Ella Rowe.” Mirror-me’s eyes were watering. The usual shine wasn’t there anymore.

“I didn’t do anything.” Dang, she just flicked on defensive-Ella-mode. I knew this was going to end up in the worst possible way, but I had to know what I had done to deserve this.

“Why’d you go to the amusement park? The three of us had promised each other since grade four that we would save up our own money, and go to the park.” I explained. “And… you broke our trust. You broke our promise.”

“She forced me to go.” her voice held pride. No sorryness, no regret, no nothing. Only pride.

“Who? Maryam? Maddie? One of her side-kicks?” I paused. There was a lump stuck in my throat and my voice was wavering. “You decided to go! There’s an image as proof!” I yelled.

Tears, crying, pain. WHy did she have to do this to me? What did I do?

“What did I ever do to you?”

Silence.

Then she spoke. “You did nothing. I’m just… over both of you.”

“You could have told us before breaking the promise.” I said shrilly. Mirror-me looked crazy.

“It would have made no difference.” she growled.

I started at her tone. “It would have hurt less.”

“Whatever.” she snapped. “It’s over now. All three of us are over. Horses too.”

“What?” She stopped riding? What? Was that now a trend? To stop doing what you love to be the Queen Bee’s best friend?

“Yes.” Ella said.

“I thought we were friends.” I pleaded.

“Well keep your thinking to yourself because we’ve never been friends and will never be.” she hung up.

I dropped my phone. I didn’t care if it broke, if it smashed, if anything happened to it.

Sobbing, I locked my washroom door and sat on the edge of the bathtub. I held my head in my hands and cried for I don’t know how long. But I knew it was while. Someone knocked on the door. “Jules?”

“Yeah, Mum?” I blinked away the tears in my eyes. I didn’t bother wiping them. The lump was still in my throat. I gulped it away and stood up, shaking.

“What happened?” she was concerned. “Can you open the door?”

I unlocked it and let her in. She stared at me in horror. “What in the world?” she patted my hair down, and wiped away my tears. “Goodness, child, what happened?”

“Nothing.”

Mum ushered me out of the wretched room and followed her into my room, on my bed. “Explain.”

And I did. Everything. From A to Z. The promise, the Insta post, the calls, Maddie, Maryam, and… I couldn’t bear to think of her… Ella.

She listened to me patiently and watched me as I sniffled and shook. “Hey, hey, you called Ella and that’s all that matters right now. You cleared it up and… she didn’t like you? I don’t see why, but that’s really her own choice, right? Things like this happen all the time, kid. You’re okay.” she embraced me, and the scent of roses filled my nose.

The necklace fell out of my shirt.

Mum stared at it.

I grasped it in my fist and tucked it back in. “Sorry, it’s… it’s nothing…”

“No, no, I love it. You look beautiful in it. Brad gifted that to me on our first wedding anniversary.” she smiled sadly. “He was amazing, your father.”

Silence took over, and when I couldn’t bear it any longer, I said, “Why don’t I get a fancy accent like yours?”

Mum laughed and I grinned at her. “Do you want to go live up in London some day?”

“Definitely.” I smiled.

“You have your father’s eyes. They suit you so much.” she said, getting glassy-eyed.

“You look creepy like that, Mum, stop!” I giggled.

“Oh,” she blinked and looked at me. “I should do that all the time, eh?”

I pretend-pouted, she smirked, and left after hugging me one more time. I hopped out of bed, and got ready for school tomorrow. So much has happened in just a week, and -

Chirp!

I whirled around and glanced at my open window.

A bird. It chirped again, and pecked the windowsill. I walked towards it cautiously, making sure it didn’t fly away. “Hey, little sparrow.” I said softly. “What brings you here?”

It flew away.

Welp.

Unlucky bird number eight. It didn’t get to talk to me, and that’s considered unlucky. Have a little conversation with Julia Harper Portman and you’ll be lucky for life.

Curling up under my covers, I fell into a peaceful and dreamless sleep.

Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:04 am
EternalRain wrote a review...

Hey Lib! So excited to be reading more of this.

As sad as I am to be leaving Canada, I'm really interested to see how the dynamics between Julia and her friends will play out at school (and whether Raven will still play a part in the story...?). I also thought the airport scene was hilarious with Julia's little "incident" as her mom calls it. :)

So, we get Julia's confrontation of Ella this chapter, and I really liked how it was handled. Ella was snarky, mean, and we get Julia's messy crying and can see that she's hurt. However, I would have loved a little more of the heart-breaking feeling a call like that must get. We get Julia breaking down crying, but as a reader I'm not feeling the emotion that I would like to. What's her body feeling like - swirly head, heart aching? It's one thing to receive the news from Maryam, but Ella's call was INTENSE !! I want that intensity in Julia's breakdown, too.

I'm really happy about the direction these birds are going in. I like how Julia's counting up and it definitely adds suspense because the reader knows the title - Unlucky 13 - and wonders how the birds will play into the story (and what happens at 13?!). I would love to see the birds somehow incorporated in the story besides Julia noticing them - some other symbol noticeable in the book, whatever it is. Not necessary but just a suggestion - I think it could strengthen the idea of the birds a lot!

I really liked this bit.

Alrighty! That's it for this chapter. :)

Peace,
~EternalRain

Lib says...

Thanks for the review! =D

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:24 am
Horisun wrote a review...

Hello, Liberty!
I'm so sorry I didn't get to reviewing this till now. I'm gong to try to review 17&18 in one go, but we'll just have to see.
I love the bonding moment between Julie and her Mom, that was really sweet, and I love how her Mom interacts with Julie, it was a really enjoyable read.
As always, the grammar and spelling were on point, and there weren't any clunky sentences, so, thumbs up for that!
When the man took Julie's luggage, it brought up something I've always wondered, do people (try) to steal peoples bags? I'm thinking that the man will have some importance to the overall plot, because of the amount of attention brought to him in this chapter, but how? we can only guess.
But for now, farewell till the next chapter! Keep on writing!

Lib says...

Thank you for the review, and it's not a problem. Better to have a late review than a rushed one. ;) And no, the man doesn't have much importance... the man, I mean... ;-; I should change it if it sounds like he would.

Horisun says...

Honestly, I found it pretty funny, so maybe it'd be better if he was just mentioned in passing, because he seemed important because he took up a portion of the chapter. I guess it's really up to you, though.

Lib says...

Ah, I see what you mean,

Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:37 pm

HELLOOOO!

omg we're jumping RIGHT to it. I wonder if we'll get insight on what happened with Grace arriving at the house?!

I feel like we should've known Julia gets carsick easily by now. Maybe I just forgot that detail though and this was a subtle reminder.

JULIA, HAVE PATIENCE. The woman hasn't seen her brother in FOREVERRR.

Dude, I wonder if Anthea has stories about flying planes. I mean, she was rich once-upon-a-time. She also had to get to Canada somehow. WHAT A PERFECT BONDING OPPORTUNITY. I remember Julia experiencing a drunk person on the plane. What if AnTHEA WAS THE DRUNK PERSON ON THE PLANE AHAHaha. ahem.

LOL what a grumpy old guy omg. he was about to walk off with preteen girl clothes and he'S GRUMPY.

YOU GO, JULIA!

OMG is Julia going to develop a British accent to be more like her mother omgomg. HER MOTHER IS RUBBING OFF ON JULIA AHHH. No wonder she was so formal talking to Grumpy Old Guy.

D: awwwwwwwwwww bb julia <3 <3

This is kind of adorable, actually. I had to think about this for a while to make sense of it because I think it was implied that they did FaceTime often enough, but I guess it didn't quite feel the same as having met them in person? Perhaps they never met in person, so now that they have, Julia feels far more connected with them. She probably misses them too, considering how much they all had to bond over!

...PHONE CALL.

PHONE.

CALL.

Ella.

I hate hormones. :( This conversation was SO difficult, and Julia was a superstar for tackling it. It's amazing how quick Julia is to honing in on an issue and nipping it in the bud. No beating around the bush! And Ella was cornered immediately, most likely from the shock of Julia's confrontation. It was tough. And Julia's reaction after the phonecall ended was spot on.

I expect we'll hear more about this later because Ella either spewed words carelessly, or there's more to the whole "we've never been friends" thing. Did Julia do something? Did Maddie lie to Ella to earn her friendship? And what convinced Ella to give up horseback riding? Why did Ella's mother give in to Ella's wish to quit?! That's a serious financial investment in and of itself, so I would think her parents would have something to say about Ella just up and quitting! They'd probably want her in an extra-curricular activity of some sort, which is why they were okay with horseback riding for so long. What kind of pressure does Ella currently face at home now?! ALL THINGS WE WILL PROBABLY FIND OUT.

and omg this moment with Julia and Anthea. <3 I love that this little cheer-up convo turned into a heartfelt story about the necklace that was referenced before. GREAT job circling back to this because you foreshadowed this necklace's signifiance already, and now remembering to bring it back is incredible. It really works here, too, as a bonding tool between mother and daughter.

Omg there's only been eight birds. HOW MUCH MORE BAD LUCK CAN SHE HAVE T_______T

Lib says...

The moment I've been waiting for -- Jabber the one and only's review! Thank you! XD There's goin to be about three more chapters before I wrap this up INCLUDING AN EPILOGUE. So you won't have too suffer too many unlucky birds. cx

The moral of Snow White is never eat apples.
— Lemony Snicket