Home » Literary works » Short Story » Humor

Square Root Of 11

by Liberty

A/N: My name is this story is gonna be Libby. Enjoy reading!

.

I was sitting there in my baggy old sweatshirt and jeans on the dining table chair, stressing. Stressing why, you may ask.

"I don't understand square root!" I finally screamed, throwing down my grade eight math textbook.

Mama rolled her eyes, "Drama queen." she muttered. "How many times do I have to tell you?"

I got off the dining table chair and stomped into the kitchen where she was preparing orange cake batter. "What'll I even do with this in life if I'm gonna be an author, Mama?" I groaned. She kissed me on the cheek and told me to listen to her with open ears.

"Go use a cotton swab if you need to." she said, chuckling as she sprayed oil on the pans. I rolled my eyes and smiled.

"Tell me." I said.

"Square root is basically just one number times the same number. So what would the square root of twenty five be?" she asked.

I calculated it in my head. "Five..."

Mama nodded.

"But this is a hundred twenty one!" I pointed at the thirty first question on my book. "It doesn't have a root." I said. This was getting on my nerves. I wanna rip every single one of these pages and burn them and never see these ugly numbers again!

"Do you know your times tables?" Mama asked. I nodded. "How about eleven's table?" I nodded again. "Start." she said, mixing the batter of the cake. I recited the entire eleven times table from eleven to a hundred and ten.

"How about eleven times eleven and eleven times twelve?" Mama asked me, pouring the batter into the pans. A drop of batter fell on her apron.

"Um, a hundred and twenty one. And... a hundred and thirty two." I said. "Mama, I'm not even kidding, I've been doing math for the past two hours. My mind is saturated." I cried.

"Stop, Libby." Mama scolded, tossing the batter into the heated oven. "What's the square root of a hundred twenty one?"

"Sorry, but I don't know." I sighed.

"What's eleven times eleven?" Mama asked me, taking off her apron and hanging it on the pantry's doorknob. She walked out of the kitchen and sat on the dining table. We locked eyes.

"A hundred twenty one." I said.

"What's eleven times eleven?" Mama asked me again.

"A hundred twenty one." I replied.

"What's eleven times eleven?" Mama asked me for the third time.

"A hundred twenty one!"

"What's the square root of a hundred twenty one?" she asked. I stared at her.

"I. Don't. Kn -" I paused. "Ohhh." I laughed. Mama smiled and got up clean up the kitchen. I laughed so hard my stomach started hurting. Tears even came out of my eyes.

"Eleven time eleven is one twenty one, and the square root of one twenty one is eleven." I laughed, shaking my head. "I'm such a weirdo." I giggled and scribbled the answer on my textbook.

I looked at the next questions.

What is the square root of 225?

"Augh, how am I supposed to know?" I muttered.

"MAMA!" I called out. "I NEED HELP AGAIN!"

Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:27 pm
saint1y wrote a review...

okay LMAOOOOOOOOOOO
I needed to write that because i'm currently in work and i cant laugh out loud. I absolutely love this, this is most definitely my cup of tea. It made me smile from reading the first few parts as it reminded me of my childhood. You are honestly a really good writer and I think you should do a part 2 to this. (yes i know that its a short story) BUT I WANT A PART TWO PLSSS

Liberty says...

I write a lot of short stories so you could like maybe read one of those? One is called "Jason's Math" so I'm guessing you may like it. Also, I could tag you if you want fkr the next funny short story. ;)

saint1y says...

Yes pleaseee!!

Liberty says...

Thanks for the review by the way. ^-^

saint1y says...

No prob UwU

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:22 am
Bhaavya Singh says...

Hiii Liberty!! This was absolutely amazing. I rolled with laughter as I read. I am also in eighth standard, but I am a pretty good student in mathematics and science, so I don't come across such situations. The same story is with some of my friends. They never get it. It is the story of many students. And the fact that we can relate it to our lives makes it even more enjoyable. The story was short and simple. It's simplicity makes it fantastic. I really loved to read this. Thanks for writing this.

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:22 am
Bhaavya Singh says...

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:22 am
Bhaavya Singh wrote a review...

Liberty says...

Thanks! (:

If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.
— Woodrow Wilson