Square Root Of 121

by Lib

A/N: My name is this story is gonna be Libby. Enjoy reading!

.

I was sitting there in my baggy old sweatshirt and jeans on the dining table chair, stressing. Stressing why you may ask.

"I don't understand the square root!" I finally screamed, throwing down my grade eight math textbook.

Mama rolled her eyes, "Drama queen." she muttered. "How many times do I have to tell you?"

I got off the dining table chair and stomped into the kitchen where she was preparing the orange cake batter. "What'll I even do with this in life if I'm gonna be an author, Mama?" I groaned. She told me to listen to her with open ears.

"Go use a cotton swab if you need to," she said, as she sprayed oil on the pans. I rolled my eyes and smiled.

"Tell me," I said.

"Square root is basically just one number times the same number. So what would the square root of twenty-five be?" she asked.

I calculated it in my head. "Five..."

Mama nodded.

"But this is a hundred twenty-one!" I pointed at the thirty-first question in my book. "It doesn't have a root," I said. This was getting on my nerves. I wanna rip every single one of these pages and burn them and never see these ugly numbers again!

"Do you know your times tables?" Mama asked. I nodded. "How about eleven's table?" I nodded again. "Start," she said, mixing the batter of the cake. I recited the entire eleven times table from eleven to a hundred and ten.

"How about eleven times eleven and eleven times twelve?" Mama asked me, pouring the batter into the pans. A drop of batter fell on her apron.

"Um, a hundred and twenty-one. And... a hundred and thirty-two." I said. "Mama, I'm not even kidding, I've been doing this math for the past two hours. My mind is saturated." I cried.

"Stop, Libby." Mama scolded, tossing the batter into the heated oven. "What's the square root of a hundred twenty-one?"

"Sorry, but I don't know." I sighed.

"What's eleven times eleven?" Mama asked me, taking off her apron and hanging it on the pantry's doorknob. She walked out of the kitchen and sat on the dining table. We locked eyes.

"A hundred twenty-one," I said.

"What's eleven times eleven?" Mama asked me again.

"A hundred twenty-one," I replied.

"What's eleven times eleven?" Mama asked me for the third time.

"A hundred twenty-one!"

"What's the square root of a hundred twenty-one?" she asked. I stared at her.

"I. Don't. Kn -" I paused. "Ohhh." I laughed. Mama smiled and got up clean up the kitchen. I laughed so hard my stomach started hurting. Tears even came out of my eyes.

"Eleven times eleven is one twenty-one, and the square root of one twenty-one is eleven." I laughed, shaking my head. "I'm so stupid." I giggled and scribbled the answer in my textbook.

I looked at the next questions.

What is the square root of 225?

"How am I supposed to know?" I muttered.

"MAMA!" I called out. "I NEED HELP AGAIN!"

Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:39 pm

Hi Liberty,

Mailice here with a short review!

This was a very heartwarming story. It led from one event to the next from beginning to end and I liked the handling here, how you managed to turn something so banal into something very realistic and yet very humorous. I was surprised to find myself partly in the story, probably not so much at the end, where I would have burst out in anger more than laughing.

In general, I notice that the short story stands out because it is very simply constructed - in a positive sense, of course. I like the lightness with which you open the story and how this carries through to the end. I especially like how the beginning is reminiscent in one scene, like a play, and then changes to where the reader is addressed.

That's something I noticed that was really only readable at the beginning. On the one hand, it reminded me of a short sketch where I missed this punch line at the end, where instead of looking at the questions, for example, you could look in the direction of the "audience" / readers or ask another question there. I don't even know if I would consider that something extremely important, but just my impression.

I really liked the dynamic that was shown in the dialogues. You could literally feel how Libby was getting more and more desperate here, probably already very annoyed, while her mother remained quite calm. That's a very positive view I have, which also shows how patient she can be and how you brought that across in the story.

In summary, it's a very great story that I really enjoyed reading. Not only because I could find myself there, but also just that kink came that it led to a funny ending.

Lib says...

omg pls how did you find this

But ahh thanks so much for the review!! <3 :)

By just searching for any words in the Literary search. But I can't remember the keywords... xD

Necromancer14 wrote a review...

I really liked this story. It was hilarious, and it reminded me of my eighth grade brother who hates math.

The first paragraph poses a question and help draw the reader in, making them want to read more. The second paragraph shows what kind of story this is going to be right away, giving this story a strong beginning.

"Mama rolled her eyes, "Drama queen." she muttered. "How many times do I have to tell you?""

Okay, other than the fact that you need a comma at the end of "queen" instead of a period, I really liked this. It stuck out to me as being quite funny.

""Augh, how am I supposed to know?" I muttered.
"MAMA!" I called out. "I NEED HELP AGAIN!""

Hilarious. I loved this punchline at the end of your story, it was super funny.

"Mama smiled and got up clean up the kitchen"

Just a small typo; you forgot to put the word "to" between "up" and "clean".

Other than that small typo and the small grammar error of putting periods at the end of your dialogue instead of commas, there wasn't anything wrong with this story.

This was a really well done, hilariously funny short story!

Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:27 pm
saint1y wrote a review...

okay LMAOOOOOOOOOOO
I needed to write that because i'm currently in work and i cant laugh out loud. I absolutely love this, this is most definitely my cup of tea. It made me smile from reading the first few parts as it reminded me of my childhood. You are honestly a really good writer and I think you should do a part 2 to this. (yes i know that its a short story) BUT I WANT A PART TWO PLSSS

Lib says...

I write a lot of short stories so you could like maybe read one of those? One is called "Jason's Math" so I'm guessing you may like it. Also, I could tag you if you want fkr the next funny short story. ;)

saint1y says...

Yes pleaseee!!

Lib says...

Thanks for the review by the way. ^-^

saint1y says...

No prob UwU

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:22 am
Bhaavya Singh wrote a review...

Hiii Liberty!! This was absolutely amazing. I rolled with laughter as I read. I am also in eighth standard, but I am a pretty good student in mathematics and science, so I don't come across such situations. The same story is with some of my friends. They never get it. It is the story of many students. And the fact that we can relate it to our lives makes it even more enjoyable. The story was short and simple. It's simplicity makes it fantastic. I really loved to read this. Thanks for writing this.

Lib says...

Thanks! (:

Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results.
— Willie Nelson