z

Young Writers Society


18+

Mosquitoes, Trees, and Hidden Places

by LeopardTails


Warning: This work has been rated 18+.

If there is one insect I cannot stand it is the mosquito. I rather the itchy bites than the taunting way they hover. I find there are mosquitoes in human nature, willing to furtively watch you in attempt to discover anything worthy of talking about. It seems people will go to great lengths just to keep themselves occupied or, in other cases, to raise their social status within the vast sea of people.

I do recognize that I am a little odd compared to others. Not in the quirky kind of way, but in a way that makes others wonder why I don't behave similarly. I'm not saying I'm psychotic or even slightly crazy. Don't get me wrong, I am just as much human as anyone else walking this earth.

The thing is, I do not want to fit in. My life has been a roller coaster of Do's and Don'ts and it took a while, but I realized that following these limitations and cornering myself with labels wasn't who I was. There is much more serenity and beauty among this world that can be easily used, instead of belonging to a crowd, to ease the mind. I do understand that those who need company. I myself do miss the company of others. However, I cannot say I would rather the presence of a mosquito than of being alone.

People tend to hover, alike mosquitoes. They do not care for keeping to themselves because that would only push others away, and loneliness is often a horrid thing to endure.

I was once a mosquito, just as you or the majority of people seem to be. I do not regret this past. If it were not for my carelessness and anxieties I would have never understood what it's like to be an average human being. Comprehending the very nature of human beings is crucial for survival. Although that very survival can depend on what you are trying to accomplish. Are you just trying to survive school, or maybe something a bit more complex? The survival and experience of true happiness is what I am looking to conquer. However, I still find that understanding others is needed, even if I rarely converse with them.

When you begin to experience loneliness, an endless cycle of thoughts will be your only companion. This contemplation of life, in which I do often, begins to get repetitive and I end up wishing, almost every time, that I had a real person, not a mosquito, to share these ideas with.

I don't think all mosquitoes are necessarily malevolent. In fact I do not really believe any one is evil. Although the ones that do bite are also the people who have characteristics of being outwardly selfish and perhaps cruel.

I feel as if I see the world in a different lens, but I think that there may be someone out there that shares that lens. I hope to find that person soon. However, as I sit here in my narrow little room I begin to believe that the possibility of someone understanding how I feel, is very slight.

The only way to differentiate a real mosquito from a human mosquito, besides the obvious, is by listening carefully to the little white lies that only humans seem to master so skillfully. Mosquitoes do not have the capacity to understand this concept. I have a bit of an issue with this. I can't seem to lie as well as I use to be able to. This is a consequence of wanting to speak your mind. However, I would not change this if it meant that I had to think more narrow minded.

Yes, I do not tell lies.  

Chapter 1 

The mud is thick and smells like Earth. I love this. I slide my heels, then soles and finally my toes into the wet substance and feel like I am free.

This is what living feels like.

I submerge my hands and forearms into the earth and then pull them straight up, with fistfuls of the very material used to weave the Earth's surface together. Smiling up at the sun, my body collapses happily to the ground and relaxes.

Laughing. I hear laughing. More than one figure. More than two. How could someone make fun of such a gorgeous scene? The happiness of any human being is the epitome of beauty.

There are two boys and one girl. I call them boys and girls not because of their age, as they are practically young adults. The boy closest to me is someone I know, someone who I have made a series of eventful and sometimes worrisome encounters with. His hair looks like sand and his eyes the same. I feel kind of bad for him. Someone so awful acting must have an even more awful life. He's quite tall and looms over me.

He mocks me with a smirk and lifts his chin, cocking his head to the side. "Only you would be found playing in a pile of shit." The girl giggles and the other keeps his head down. He's trying to seem nonchalant but his eyes tell another story. Mosquito.

I look Daniel right in the eye , while my right hand grabs a perfect scoopful of mud, waiting for him to go on. He raises an eyebrow. "Whatcha think you're do---", I strike him right in his mouth and he goes into a fit.

"What the fuck!?" He cries, almost unintelligibly. His face is dirtied with brown and he breaks into a hacking, wet cough. I see the other boy look away quickly to hide a smile. He pulls bits of mud off of his tongue and gags quite dramatically. I rise swiftly to my feet and clasp my hands together, in front of me.

"Oh Daniel", I say "At least I don't eat shit." The girl backs off a bit and looks scared. I didn't mean to scare them. It's a funny sight really, they should have a better sense of humor. The girl grabs Daniel by the shoulder and he shoves her behind him.

"You're fucking insane you bitch." But he leaves nonetheless, his little minions following behind. I laugh. Not a fake laugh, but a real hearty laugh and then I collapse right back into the mess below me and make mud angels.

It's not until the sun begins to set that I head back home. The porch light is flickering on and off and I know my mom is waiting for me.

Those kids should of known not to mess with me. I guess all of them should know that. They still continue to mock me, but only because they are afraid of the things that they so badly wish to experience and thus, they end up scolding those who bite into the things that their heart desires. I shrug the thought off as I begin to feel loneliness again, thinking about others and their mistakes. I almost wish, just slightly, that I could make those mistakes again. Just to belong. But I can't go back to that life. I can't. It's not a true way of living and I will only go on with a spark in my eyes and a hop in my gate. This is who I am.

And I won't change that for anybody. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
44 Reviews


Points: 2883
Reviews: 44

Donate
Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:39 am
View Likes
midnightdreary wrote a review...



Hi! So I think this is a pretty interesting topic to discuss, as you said, most people prefer to be around others. The idea with the mosquitoes was cool and I think you did a great job with explaning it. That being said, let's get into the review!

So first off is that your narration was interesting because it seemed like your character didn't want to be talking to the reader, which I usually don't like, but it works in this because that's kind of the whole point of her personality at this point. Although, be careful not to come across as condescending when your character is explaining her opinions because that bothers a lot of people/ I don't get the condescending vibe from your character. Also, there's a chance readers will get bored if there's not too much dialogue, so you have to have a different way of keeping the readers attention. By the nature of your character I feel like there won't be much dialogue.

Okay so next is that there are two awkward sentences.
"This contemplation of life, in which I often do" is kind of confusing to read. You could try saying, "this contemplation of life which I often engage in". The meaning is the same but it's more easily readable.
Then there's, "someone so awful acting". That's just phrased kind of strangely. You can say the same thing by saying, "someone who acted so awfully".

So last thing is that you should be aware of not making your character a cliché. A lot of novels have girls who don't enjoy talking to people, but often times it turns into the "I'm not like other girls" and "all other girls are beneath me" kind of thing. From the first section, your character seems to respect people's differences and see them as valid. Just keep that up through your story.

Yeah that's all. I'm excited to see where this story goes. I hope this helped!



Random avatar
LeopardTails says...


Thank you :)



User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:19 am
Carlito wrote a review...



Hello! Welcome to YWS, we're happy to have you here!! :D Glad to see you jumping in right away by posting your first piece! I picked this out of the green room because I absolutely love realistic teen fiction.

The first thing I noticed about this piece is the voice. I personally love first person narration because I love being able to get inside a character's head and know their thoughts and how they think and process things. Obviously, this can be easier said than done, but what I really like about this right off the bat is that your MC has a distinct voice and I like the narration and introspection you've already brought into this story. I can tell that the MC is a little different, but that's not a bad thing!

I think I understood where you were going with the mosquito metaphor. I was a little confused at first how I think you started talking about real mosquitoes and then applied it to people being like mosquitoes - that jump was a little confusing at first, but then I got it and I think I followed you.

My biggest qualm with his opening, is that while the narration is great, I found myself waiting for something to happen. I was waiting for some kind of event or some kind of moment to bring me into the story and get the plot started, and that moment hasn't happened. Now, for all I know, the scene right after this will accomplish just that but you only wanted to include this small segment. But, one thing to be careful of with first person when there is a lot of narration and voice happening is not to get too carried away with it and to make sure we get to see the actual story too :)

Other than that, I thought this was an interesting start! I have zero idea where you're planning on taking this, but I am curious to learn more about this kind of different MC, the world she's living in, and what's going to happen to her, so I hope you keep working on this story! If you do keep working on it and decide to post more here, feel free to let me know and I'll come review more for you! And let me know if you have any questions or if there's something you'd like feedback about that I didn't mention!

And also feel free to message me or write on my wall if you have any questions or need anything at all as you get used to the site! :D

(PS, I noticed that you posted a blank comment. No worries, I deleted it to help keep things tidy. If you ever accidentally post something and want it deleted, just let someone in green know and we can take care of it for you! :D)



Random avatar
LeopardTails says...


Thank you so much for your review, I really appreciate it. :)




"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
— Albus Dumbledore