Fighting Fate: Chapter 1 - Part 1 & Part 2(UPDATE 11/20)

by Leapy

So this is the first part(Of a two part chapter) I just wanted it to be a decent size to capture people's attention... All others to come will be longer. This book will also switch POV's from time to time, dont worry there will be a break in between each switch. Well... Here goes nothing! It may seem a bit... um. Bland right now, but this is just part 1, part 2 will have more detail on whats really going to go on, promise! And for some reason I couldn't get the italics to work for the flashback with her dad....

Enjoy!

~~~

She was going to die.

Ronnie was absolutely sure of it. She sat with her back pressed firmly against the cold seats as she watched the scenery whip by at a lightening speed. The old car tilted left and right as it made its way down the curving mountain roads, the brakes whined as they were pressed each time, even if it was gently. The roads dipped down into the valleys that tucked inside the sides of smaller mountains, making an overcast- and making the road shadowed. She bit her bottom lip ready for a sudden impact, and kept her right hand secured tightly to the 'Oh-shit' handle just inches from her head.

"You ok? You look like you might be sick." Her gruff voice of Michael, her uncle, came as a sudden intrusion on her prayers. She glanced over at him to see that he was also glancing over at her. Not paying as close attention to the road ahead of them as she would have liked. "You don't get car sick do you?" He asked screwing his face up at her.

"No, I-I'm just a little worried about these roads...." She mumbled trying to keep her eyes on the road as if a hint to him. Although just as the words left her mouth they broke through the twin fortress and the road opened up to rolling fields on either side, the road itself also seemed to straighten out.

"Nothing to worry about there, I know my way around them." He said and gave a half smile, trying to reassure her. It didn't.

Ronnie looked out her passenger window at the new scenery before her. The land seemed to roll on for ages until finally being cut off by large mountains covered with browning trees. Well that wasn't true, all sorts of color filtered onto those large rocks: Orange, red, yellow, and even some scarce vibrant green still remained. She had been informed earlier that they were some sort of pine- though the exact name she would never be able to think of again. Houses were even more scarce then the green trees, they were what intrigued her more. A old farm house here and there, light green or off white silos close to them as well. Just about every inch was either covered by dying out corn fields or cows. Where were the houses and yards she was so accustomed to?

Where were the townhouses with a foot of grass? Or the houses that lined a cul-de-sac with their pretty new cars? Not to be found here. All the cars she had seen so far had been older, rusted and dented- or of course the hunting truck, complete with confederate flag either plastered on the back window or license plate.

She seriously wanted to go home.

A twinge of guilt flowed through her as she thought of her home. Or what was left of it. She could still see the flames as they licked up the floral wallpaper at an incredible speed. Shaking off that image her sub-conscious conjured up a second- equally painful.

"Veronica, with all the bills... I'm going to have to stay at Roger's." Her father's voice came in hushed tones as they sat in the hospital cafeteria only days ago, yet it seemed like such a long time ago. She had looked at him with confusion she was sure he could read clearly on her face... if he had been looking at her. The tears were still making their way down her face to her chin from the latest update on her mothers condition; but she looked at her father for some sort of explanation. What did he really mean by that statement?

"I don't understand..." She said softly when he realized he was lost again in his own thoughts. He looked up at her, his eyes red rimmed like hers, but his lost expression is what tore at her more. She had never seen him look like this. He had always been the strongest person she knew- her great big protector. He had no fight left in him, not with her mother tied up to so many machines...

"I can't afford that motel room much longer... Roger said he would let me stay with him. Give me rides to work too..." He said, not really looking at her, but past to something to couldn't make out. Ronnie knew Roger, but what didn't make sense to her. She had been to his place more than once... and he only had a one bedroom apartment. There was no way they could both stay there. But...

"Dad, what-"

"I've already called Michael. He's glad to have you. Says he needs a little extra help at the store anyway. So you see? It's perfect, you'll even get paid for it..."

That had been the end of the conversation. She hadn't wanted to upset him anymore, and his eyes had taken on that defeated look once again. It broke her heart to leave her parents, especially at a time her mother needed them most. Ronnie was just ready to do whatever it took to not hurt them anymore.

So here she sat, in her uncles beat up black Toyota, watching as any semblance of her life whizzed by at mach-two. She'd better get used to this, it would be her life for who knew how long?

The landscape outside changed once more, smaller worn looking houses lined the streets, as well as tiny house looking shops. It reminded her of the first time she had visited Richmond; so many little shops pressed next to each other that it only made sense to walk up and down the streets. Although here they weren't nearly as close together, and nowhere near as inviting. A shudder ran threw her as she thought of walking into one alone. A stranger in their closed community- how would that go over?

Her appearance probably wouldn't help too much. She had always had a light bronze skin tone, as if she tanned constantly, which she had never really done. Her hair was a dark brown, highlighted everywhere with tiny blonde streaks, that made it almost look natural... almost. Ronnie's hair was also cropped short, curling naturally around her head, mostly falling into her light blue eyes, which seemed to stand out more than anything on her earthy features. Body wise she was normal, with a slight athletic build from having taken six years of dance when she was younger, it still hadn't grown out of her yet to which she was thankful. It would be her clothing that gave her away as an outsider more over than her body. She liked her jeans to ride low on her hips and frankly she was a girl so she liked to show off her upper assets once in awhile as well.

While gazing in the side mirror at herself she hadn't noticed Michael slowing down, sliding into a stop. With a tiny jerk of her head at the force of stopping Ronnie was able to see they had reached his home. Her new home. It was a simple little white house with brown shutters, she knew the inside had three bedrooms, a large living room and tiny kitchen.

They sat in silence for a few moments as they both just gazed at the house; Michael never had a wife so the only time he had another person live in his home was when her family had come to visit during the summer, it must be a new thing for him as well. "Well, guess there's no time like the present, eh?" He said finally, shoving a shoulder into the driver side door to get it to creak open. Taking a deep breath Ronnie followed suit, exiting the truck into the cool autumn air, clutching her thin jacket around her body and leaning over the bed of the truck to reach her duffel bag. Michael had already grabbed her two other suitcases and was already trudged his way up to the front door. Following she couldn't help but notice just how much her father and Michael looked alike- she wasn't sure if she had ever truly noticed before now.

They really could pass for twins; the same unkempt black hair that hung over tired brown eyes, same body that showed years of hard work when they moved. Both were well over six foot and the only difference she could think of that separated them was the deep scar on her uncles cheek from a hunting accident that occurred in his teens.

Pushing the door open with one of her suitcases he lead the way through the barely lit living room to the farthest room, just beyond the kitchen. The room she had had since she was just a baby. The walls were a off white and the double bed was dead center, an old quilt lay on top it, to the right was an equally old dresser and next to it a desk. The thing she loved most about the room was the large bay windows that were on the opposite wall. They looked out over the backyard, which meant more rolling fields and mountains in the distance. She could remember looking out those windows and watching deer practically graze next to them.

They both set down her luggage and after a short awkward silence he turned to her and gaze her a smile that didn’t quite reach his eyes. "Well welcome home Veronica, I hope you'll like it here." He said and gave her a hug that did better justice than his smile. With that he left her to unpack.

Ronnie sat on the bed and pulled her duffel bag closer, unzipping it and pulling out a few of its contents. Her laptop in its slim case, a couple books and her picture of her parents. Sighing she left the other sitting next to her as she held the picture with delicate hands. The picture had been taken on a trip to Virginia Beach, her parents were smiling at the camera when she had taken it. The happy smile that played across her mothers face pained her more than anything. She hadn't seen her smile in so long... Hugging the picture to her chest she laid back on the comforter and let slip the first silent tears in her new home.

Welcome home Veronica Saunders.

Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:17 pm
samkc423 wrote a review...

I absolutely love where your story is going :D The only problem that I can find is the word "chocking" it is written like that twice in the second part and it is actually spelled "choking" so you should probably fix that. I at first did not like the name Ronnie but it seems to really fit since her full first name is Veronica; the few Veronica's I do know do not have nicknames so that you used Ronnie seems very unique to me. I really do hope you continue on with this story and keep posting, it's wonderful!

Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:00 pm
Leapy says...

Here's where everything gets interesting... well for chapter 1 atleast! Enjoy. It also starts with my second main character.

Zak didn't like it. No not one bit. He stood leaning against one of the great white pillars that seemed to cover the entirety of Mount Olympus; he was currently atop the highest peak- Zeus’s Chambers. His great grandfather. Sighing as he listened to the older man drone on to his son Ares and Zak.

"We've got to find where Moros has hidden his powers..." He said for practically the hundredth time already, pacing back and forth. The seething glances from his blue eyes would surely make any grown man piss himself, but today no human men were around. Of course Zeus was a formidable man, no one was likely to cross him and live, but that seemed to be what had him so ticked right now.

"Father I can go down to the human realm in a moments notice, I've got a full arm-" Zak chuckled from the corner interrupting his uncles speech and both Gods turned to him, pinning him with their glares.

"No offence Res, but bringing an entire god like entourage down with the God of War at their front might be a bit much for the humans to handle.” He said with a simple shrug of his shoulders. He honestly didn't see their need to have Moros's power, he was just low God who had the power of Fate. They still had the full Moirae on their side, didn't they?

"So what do you suggest?"

Zak hadn't been ready with an answer to that question. Just let it go? Was his first thought, although he knew neither would be to happy with that one. "I don't know, but I do know that scaring them half to death is probably a bad idea. Plus it might just wake up the powers inside that one human- who knows?" He said with yet another graceful shrug of his shoulders.

Ares rolled his slightly red tinged eyes and turned his attention back to his father. "What does the child know of any of this?" He said referring to Zak. It irked him, and Ares knew it. They never had that happy family thing going in this place... He wouldn't know what a hug was unless it came in the form of a slap or punch. Zak's father, Anicetus, had seen to that when he slept with Zak's mother- creating a demi God to roam the human realm. It was by only luck that Zeus had taken a liking to him in the past century, letting him live at his palace on Mount Olympus, and after eating the ambrosia he would forever stay looking a solid twenty-one, which was just fine with him.

Zeus seemed to be lost in thought as he looked back and forth from his own son to Zak, contemplating something neither of them could fathom until he spoke that words. "You will go." Ares smiled evilly as he faced Zak with an air of satisfaction.

"You wont be disappointed fath-" Again Ares was interrupted, but this time by his father.

"No, not you. Zak."

The two men seemed to gape at the older man. "You've got to be kidding me?" Ares asked, just as Zak thought of it himself.

"Yeah, seriously. Why would you send me? I didn't even want to be apart of this conversation in the first place!" Zak said, trying to hold his own in this whole thing. Gods were highly unpredictable, and.... sadly for Zak, they usually got what they wanted one way or another.

"I am indeed serious on this matter. This needs a certain finesse, we can't afford the powers waking up inside a human. They would tear through the world a lightening speed and kill everything. Fate is too great a power to be left in such untrained hands..." He said looking at something neither men could see.

"But.. but Zak?" Ares said, practically chocking on his name. Zak turned an eyebrow up at his uncle, geez talk about warm and fuzzy?

"Yes. He has lived on the human plane before... he knows more about how they live than we do. So Zak, you will go to the human realm and find this human who holds the power of Fate." He said with conviction, straightening up as if finalizing it just by the way he stood. Zak sighed in defeat as he looked to the floor.

"What do I do when I find them?"

"Kill them." Zeus said and Zak's face contorted. "You will take them as the humans takes their last breath, it's the only way to do it. You can't let those powers escape either- they will disrupt the balance of the entire Universe. A God must control those powers.... Moros is such a fool." He said turning from both men.

"How do I find the human?" Zak asked, still disgusted with the task handed to him. He knew his great-grandfather well enough to know if he didn't complete this mission, family or not, he would be stripped of his own powers and possibly killed.

"You could try the Onerai... Though since Hypnos allowed this travesty I'm not sure if they will help you or not."

Just great. Without another word Zak flashed himself out of the room into the realm of the Onerai. It was dark, damp and misty- just the way they liked it. Grimacing Zak looked around for the three dream Gods, finding them standing at what seemed to be a large opening in the floor that brought the misty up into the room. Each looked the exact same, the long grey robes and hoods covering their features. The only thing that separated them were the symbols on the back of their robes- but Zak wasn't worried about which to seek, he just needed one of them to help. Not likely.

"Yo," He said as he walked up, the hoods turned to him but none spoke. Of course not, couldn't be easy could it. Walking until he stood just feet from them he flashed a smile, but wasn't sure if it helped his chances or further doomed them. "I need some help."

"Make it quick underling." One of them said, but he couldn't even tell, none of them moved and their voices echoed.

"Aw, c'mon guys. I need help finding a human... One with hidden powers."

They moved now, but not how he wanted them too. They either laughed or scoffed at him- which royally pissed him off. He hated the Onerai, and they showed him the same respect in his dreams.

"You must be delusional if you think we're going to help you find Moros's powers." One of them said. Zak just stood there as if that was answer enough... he was rewarded with more laughing. He really should know better, the Onerai were after all related to Moros and Hypnos… But he didn’t have much choice now did he?

“What could it really hurt guys?” He asked, stuffing his hands in his front jean pockets. “If you stick me in the dream world for ten minutes, there’s a very good chance all I’ll do is feel like I’m getting a swirly- which I’m sure you all would enjoy at my expense,” He went on rocking onto his heels. These guys were pretty good to play with, they loved to torture him in anyway possible. They looked at one another from under their hoods and seemed to converse in tones he couldn’t quite hear.

“Ten minutes. We get you in and take you out, but that’s it.” The same still voice said from before and Zak nodded his approval. One lifted a robed arm and indicated he should walk forward and stand with them. He walked up, his feet about an inch from the large hole as the Onerai moved around him folding their arms in front of their chests. Zak really wasn‘t sure how they sent people into the dream realm but knowing most things about all the other Gods it must have something to do with chanting and bright flashing lights. “Are you ready?”

“Yeah but ho-”

A hard shove forced the breath from him and he tumbled forward into the dark hole. Zak felt as if he were falling forever through the damp mist until his body hit what seemed like a body of water, but once past the hard surface he floated there, completely dry and he could still breath. It was really like being underwater, his body movements were sluggish as he tried to lift his arms or legs. It was pitch black all around him until something flashed ahead of him, illuminating the world around him. Suddenly there were so many different images around him he felt as if he couldn’t breath, he was drowning in the dreams of the humans. Chocking as more images swept by him, his head felt like it was going to explode and he couldn’t control anything.

Get a grip will you? His anger pulsed around him, easing the pain of his head. Concentrating harder he focused on his powers and soon everything seemed to slow to a stop, taking a deep breath he stood straight, able to gaze at the images clearly now. Shaking his head, I don’t have time for this… He thought as he held his hand up and summoned a god bolt, it shot forward into the mist until a bright flash came. With it came a hand full of images, he dismissed many as they were Gods and Demi gods he knew himself out playing on the human realm.

There was Aphrodite, Dionysus, Hemera, Rhea and Phoebe as well as a handful of others whom he had only seen in passing- no, he was looking for someone… a little less god-like. Searching through the dreams still a sudden heat struck him hard. The images ignited the space around him and he had to shield his eyes from the intensity of it. When he let down his arms he was standing in a small apartment, the walls had flames sliding up the walls having already devoured most of the furniture. He heard a loud crack come from the kitchen area and realized the floor above was yielding, but that’s not what drew his attention. The terrible screams from a side room had him walking quickly until he stopped at the door watching the scene in front of him with curious eyes.

“Wake up! Please you’ve got to!” The vision of a young woman was there, desperately trying to wake a woman on the bed. The one crying and yelling had a soft glow about her and he realized he was in a memory dream: someone dreaming of a past event. The girl really hadn’t been there but she was trying her hardest to change whatever happened. Watching her he could see her desperation as she tried to be in that moment, her clothes were singed but her hands kept gliding through the woman on the bed. “No, no, no…!” Tears streamed down her face as she cried for the older woman. Zak shifted uncomfortably, he had forgotten just how human emotions played out. And he didn’t like it.

As he began to turn away from the dream, to find what he was really looking for the memory continued and the ghost girl burst through him into the burning room. Although this time it was the real girl. The ghost girl stepped back hugging her arms around herself and falling to her knees, unable to change the past. With a grim expression he shook his head and shifted again as the dream faded leaving just the girl crying on the floor.

Time to leave.

“I thought you said Fate could always change…” Those tiny mumbled words caught him and made him take a deep breath. No, it couldn’t be? She’s just talking to herself. He thought but glanced back at her to see her folding her wrist delicately. Walking behind her he peered over to see what she was tracing and the look of astonishment couldn’t have been any clearer. A symbol Moros liked to use; a tiny round clock was burned into her wrist.

“Moros… You’ve got to be kidding me?” He said, his face only inches from the young woman’s head. She snapped her head around and he jerked back. She shouldn’t be able to see him but there they were- staring at each other. Her striking blue eyes gazing up at him with the silent tears left staining her tanned face, she seemed like a deer caught in headlights. Yet before he could speak another word she popped like a bubble and he was left standing in pitch black darkness.

Zak stood there for a moment really racking his brain to figure out if that girl could be the one he was looking for. There was no doubt about it. Satisfied he turned to leave, realizing he would have to wait for the Onerai to lift him from the dream realm. A cold shiver of panic raced through him as he realized they could just leave him there. Than again they would have a lot to deal with if Zeus found out about it.

Fortunately Zak didn’t have to think anymore on the subject, a force pulled him back and he fell hard onto a cold floor, covered in water. Coughing slightly he sat up to find the Onerai looking down at him, “You’ve had your ten minutes. Now get out.”

“Right. Thanks for the warnings and all.” He said coughing again as he flashed from the room. Now he just had to find the girl. He flashed into his own room inside Zeus’s temple; not the largest of all rooms but it did have a balcony so he could live with it. Snapping his finger his clothes changed to yet another pair of black jeans and a light blue shirt that clung tightly to him.. Ah, it was good to be a God, even if he was only a Demi he could still perform great things most mortals could only dream of.

Now onto business. Closing his eyes he summoned his powers once more to find the girls location- using the image of her that burned itself into his mind. Her blue eyes, chocolate brown hair… Shifting through all the images of woman that floated to him he finally found her.

Veronica Saunders. Nineteen, only child… All the information he needed came to him and he smiled as he opened his eyes again. It was almost too easy, but he wasn’t one to complain. Kill the girl, get the powers, come home- really how hard could it be?

Really what was one girl compared to the Fate of the rest of the world and the Gods above?

Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:45 pm
Leapy says...

denj wrote:The style in which you wrote in this story really captured my attention. It was extremely well-written, balancing descriptions in the present, dialogue, thought, character description, and even throwing in a few memories to explain what was going on. However, I'm a stickler for commas, and you could have used a few more, especially in dialogue, such as in the last line:

Welcome home Veronica Saunders.

It has the sound of a run-on sentence, and would be much better like this:

Welcome home, Veronica Saunders.

Overall, this is a great start to what I hope will become a great story. I wonder, though, why is it in the Fantasy forum? Will there be some fantastic elements later on?

Of course there will be, I was just a little paranoid of posting too much and no one reading, haha. The second part gets into the reason why it's in fantasy.

Thank you, I will go back over my copy and see if I can improve on my senences, hopefully I wont have any more run-ons!

Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:28 pm
denj wrote a review...

The style in which you wrote in this story really captured my attention. It was extremely well-written, balancing descriptions in the present, dialogue, thought, character description, and even throwing in a few memories to explain what was going on. However, I'm a stickler for commas, and you could have used a few more, especially in dialogue, such as in the last line:

Welcome home Veronica Saunders.

Welcome home, Veronica Saunders.

I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
— Chandler Bing