12+

Slate and Earth Chapter 3 & 4.1

by Lauren2010

III. Ana

Ana slept for a very long time, and while she slept she dreamed. She dreamed this: a tiny human hazy like the breath between stations on the FM radio when Ana would sit in the cab of her husband’s pickup truck. She dreamed this: a life held with a light touch, like the tips of her fingers on the radio dial. She dreamed this: a husband throwing open the back screen door, shouting to turn the damn thing off already before you run the battery down.

Something had followed her to the edge of the forest. It loomed there, a shadow quaking, waiting for a blip in the frequency large enough to slip in.

IV. Esther

It had not taken long to find the trail Ana had carved between the trees. Esther traced it back through the forest, leading the old quarter pony along beside her. She wrapped her hand in the pony’s bridle in lieu of her walking stick - the rain had made her knees ache - and slipped the grimoire in a bag over the saddle just in case.

The pony - who she plainly called Jane - snorted. She tugged on her reins, pulling Esther back from where she had been about to step in an oval of sickly green muck.

“Unusual,” Esther murmured, and stroked the side of Jane’s head.

The forest where Esther lived was an unusual one in many ways, but in one it was quite normal: from the outside, it looked like any other forest in the Pacific Northwest. It was scattered with pines that grew tall enough to block the sun from the rocks and other fauna that did not die when the winter cold came. There were lakes and rivers and small animals who burrowed in the soil and wreaked havoc on every rose garden Esther had attempted to grow.It lived within the elegant crescent-moon of a larger, sprawling wood. Esther’s forest was the bit blocked out by the sun.

The things that were unusual about Esther’s forest were more difficult to pinpoint. This muck, dashed with a pregnant girl’s footprints through the forest, was one of them.

Esther and Jane pressed on. They didn’t stop again until they reached the place on the edge of the forest -- some half a mile before the highway that struck an alley between two strips of dense, towering pine -- which Esther knew as the Veil.

No one had ever told her what had brought the veil upon the forest. Frankly, it had never concerned her enough to ask. It had been her impression that the forest had been as long as the rest of the things that the world she knew had been built upon had been. She supposed that as long as there had been a forest, there had been a Veil.

Esther knew the Veil first not by sight but by the way it made her feel. It drew the static from her ears and danced it along the little grey hairs on her skin. She closed her mouth and breathed through her nose, waiting for the rush of static to dissipate into the dull, thumping morse-code-frequency of her own mind.

It was the Veil conducted through her.

A series of long and short sounds. Four long, short, long, short, long, short. Torn.

Tightening her grip on Jane’s bridle, Esther reached a hand into the Veil. It rippled and snapped at her knuckles, but above all things the Veil was greedy. It drew her in, pouring over her skin and smoothing the wrinkles from the back of her hand. Briefly, Esther glimpsed the mottled gleam of the engagement ring Tommy Porter has given her on a gloomy Sunday afternoon. Then, tucked beneath it, the antique wedding band Fanny Price had passed her beneath the pillow of Esther’s childhood bed.

This was the Veil’s magic trick: to weigh so heavily upon a heart it drove you home where you belonged. For Esther, there was no home left to belong to. She pressed her lips in a thin line and felt for a tear.

She found it, brief and jagged, where the air shimmered slightly the way a spiderweb could in the sun. A long time ago, Fanny Price might have pointed it out to her, bidding her to hold her breath and watch for fairies.

Esther withdrew her hand from the Veil. Her skin stung, as if it had been pulled to tightly around her bones, but the magic let her go. Jane snorted, disapproving.

Esther was the sole being permitted to pass freely through the Veil, though rarely by any means other than the gate Sebastian had built for her at the end of her lane. Still, even she was not immune.

In the bag with the grimoire over Jane’s saddle, Esther found an old ladies watch. It was the sort with a chain that could be worn around the neck by women like her mother who wanted to appear as if they had the kind of obligations that required a careful keeping of time. Esther knew that, in fact, time would wait for women like Esther’s mother.

She took the ladies watch and a small garden spade from the bag and dropped to her knees. She dug a small hole at the point the tear in the Veil met the earth, murmured her words, and buried it.

Ahead, the Veil sighed in relief.

Jane ducked her head for Esther, and she used the pony’s reins to haul herself from the ground. Ana’s murky footsteps steamed on the forest floor, though the muck lessened the further her path went. The Veil had let her pass, but the forest had not wanted her. Not at first, at least. Esther wondered what it could have been that made the forest take her.

“This is a dangerous thing, Jane,” she said, stroking the pony’s nose.

Jane searched Esther’s palm for a bit of apple or sugar. Esther took a hunk of dry carrot from her pocket and offered it.

“I don’t suppose everything will simply go back to normal, will it?” she asked.

Jane snorted, and turned back toward the cottage, tugging on Esther’s grip against her bridle.

“No, I thought not,” Esther said, and followed.

Noelle wrote a review...

I absolutely love your writing. Just wanted to say that ^_^

This may just be my writing style, but I feel like the "she dreamed this" should be made into separate paragraphs or it's own paragraph. I know that it would be a bit of a stretch with your flow, but hear me out. It's very repetitive. Instead of saying "she dreamed of this this and this" you take the time to point out each dream individually. With them in the same paragraph like this it seems like you want them all connected. When in the sense that she dreamed them all in one night, they aren't exactly the same. It seems that she went through different dreams, one that led to the other, and these dreams each had a different feel to them. I think it would be more dramatic if you separated them.

I like the short chapter. Sometimes writers get too stagnant and forget that writing is free and doesn't really have rules. A chapter doesn't have to be over a thousand words or a certain number of pages. Its length depends on the content. This chapter makes sense short because all you're telling us is that Ana was sleeping. We do get a bit about her dreams, but there isn't much time put into exploring them. It's just a reminder that she's there and conscious enough to have dreams. I like it :)

The pony - who she plainly called Jane - snorted.

There's no need for he dashes here. The name of the horse directly correlates with the information that the pony snorted. It's like when you write "Her dad Bill." You wouldn't say "Her dad - his name was Bill - blah blah." If it's a name it can be shared directly.

The forest where Esther lived was an unusual one in many ways,

Just a nitpick here. You use the word 'unusual' twice here in that many sentences. Find another word to replace one of them.

It had been her impression that the forest had been as long as the rest of the things that the world she knew had been built upon had been.

Another nitpick for you. Past tense is always tricky because of the past tense of the past tense; ie when the word 'had' comes into play. I've noticed that I overuse it in places that it isn't needed and I see it a lot in other people's writing too. This is one place where it isn't needed. Saying that it had been her impression means that she doesn't believe it anymore. From reading this my impression is that she still believes it. So there's no need for the 'had' at the beginning of the sentence. You can simply say "It was her impression..."

I like the description of the veil. You don't just give us the basic "there's the veil"; you give us the feeling that the veil creates and show us how the veil affects Esther. That makes it almost more real and gives us a great image.

I do wish there was some visual aspect of the veil as well. Anything that exists no matter how it is has some sort of tell to it. Nothing is invisible. I mean, I guess something could be, but it's a bit of a stretch. Even if the veil isn't able to be seen, surely it affects the things around it. Maybe there's a tree that is half in the veil and half out so when looking upon it you only see half of it. Obviously that's something you would come up with, but I'm just throwing out an example. Otherwise it's hard for us to grasp that this veil really is there. The static is fine and dandy, but I want more.

Jane searched Esther’s palm for a bit of apple or sugar.

You can't really say for sure what Jane is looking for, unless you want to make the horses's actions and thoughts known to us. Esther can assume that the horse is looking for this, but she can't be certain of it. This sentence almost comes from the POV of the horse. I didn't get the feel that the horse is going to be a personified (for lack of a better term) character.

This is a good chapter. Esther is a very interesting character and I like that we're spending a lot of time with her. You could've skipped straight through to the action and have Ana wake up and ask a bunch of questions, but you're taking your time. We're getting a look around this magical forest and seeing what it's all about. I am left wondering about what other creatures or other people might be in this forest. Maybe it's not time to dive into that yet, but it would be nice to know.

I can't wait to read more!

**Noelle**

elysian wrote a review...

Hello, happy RevMo! Excited to be thrown back into your dream world :-)

**disclaimer: I will most likely focus on negative aspects more so than positive aspects when reviewing, and this is just to help you grow as a writer! It is totally okay not to agree with something I say! Also, If I repeat anything already said, it's probably because it needs to be changed!**

She dreamed this: a tiny human hazy like the breath between stations on the FM radio when Ana would sit in the cab of her husband’s pickup truck.

This is a big mouthful, and I'm not sure what you're trying to say. I love your writing, it's very poetic, but be careful about being too abstract because it can become very confusing, and then your point will get missed.

the rain had made her knees ache

the horse or Esther?

another lovely story. I am wondering, are there certain types of magical beings? Is Esther human? did I miss that being explained? I honestly might have just forgotten though, so If that was already mentioned, my bad.

I wish I could provide more, but awesome job!

- del

Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:25 am
ExOmelas wrote a review...

Hey Lauren, stop 6 on my tour of LMS week 3!

Nit-picks:

She tugged on her reins, pulling Esther back from where she had been about to step in an oval of sickly green muck.

I'm not sure how effectively a horse can tug on their own reins, especially backwards. If a horse lurched forward, presumably she could pull you forward to, but if she went backwards, I'm pretty sure the tension in the reins would just decrease. Unless the rider was leading her and standing quite far ahead so that the horse quickly moving backwards would pull the reins taut. But I think the horse would be so far behind that it might be too late to warn the human anyway? Sorry, that was a ridiculous amount to say about a not-that-important detail xD

The forest where Esther lived was an unusual one in many ways, but in one it was quite normal: from the outside, it looked like any other forest in the Pacific Northwest.

I was expecting that to be more specific. Like, it was just as dense as any other forest, or it had just as many puddles in annoying places as any other forest.

Wait, is the muck different, or the fact that they're a pregnant girl's footprints? Because if it's the footprints then yeah that probably doesn't happen that much but I'm sure it's not unique to Esther's forest, unlike whatever magic is keeping up the barrier.

No one had ever told her what had brought the veil upon the forest.

This isn't necessarily a nit-pick but I figured it had been put there by the King of the Forest, since often obstacles in plot are put there by antagonists, but fair enough :P

Esther was the sole being permitted to pass freely through the Veil, though rarely by any means other than the gate Sebastian had built for her at the end of her lane

Again, not a nit-pick, but who in the name of all hell is Sebastian? O.O

Esther knew that, in fact, time would wait for women like Esther’s mother.

I recognise this is good characterisation but it's very sudden and thus feels a bit out of place.

Ana’s murky footsteps steamed on the forest floor, though the muck lessened the further her path went. The Veil had let her pass, but the forest had not wanted her. Not at first, at least. Esther wondered what it could have been that made the forest take her.

Ohhhhhh. So, the thing that's unusual is Ana's footsteps, because they are so hot that they are creating much, and that is magical because forests don't usually reject people. And now they are less mucky so that means the forest is accepting her? I think there should be something slightly more sudden/dramatic, or at least more explicit description of what the ground between Ana's feet is like now. It just feels a bit deflated after the tension of the last chapter. Also, I'm not meant to know what's going on with the watch, right? I probably should at some point though.

Hold on wait. At the end, is Esther leaving Ana there? I thought from the way she realises the forest may have changed its mind about Ana, she was also going to change her mind about getting rid of her, or at least that's what it sounded like. If that's not the case I would like some explanation there.

So, I think your last chapter released information at a significantly better rate. The Veil is very mysterious, which is fun, but because I don't understand the parameters, and yet kind of feel like the story thinks I do, it's difficult to feel tension because I don't know what I should be worried about happening, if that makes sense? Ana has not come into contact with the Veil, which I think would make it much clearer whether the forest was rejecting her. Being told that the mud is what makes the difference is just that, a bit tell-y.

The characterisation and setting are still excellent though. Especially sensory description. Idk if it's just because that's one of my biggest weaknesses and something I'm trying to work on but I'm really enthusiastic about sensory description at the moment and like, not only could I see your forest, I could feel it.

Plot in general is also still very interesting, even if the execution was for me a little off this time.

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)

Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:37 am
PrincessInk wrote a review...

Lauren! Hello again. Guess I'm the first to review this segment.

Chapter 3:

Chapter 3's short, so I'm keeping my comments there short as well and they're sort of nitpicky, so if you aren't looking for that, well, you can skip on to Chapter 4.1 :)

Anyway, I really like how you described what Ana dreamed. The repetition of "She dreamed" doesn't sound clunky, and the content of the dreams manages to be evocative without getting too wordy, like your other descriptions. A nitpick I have here is:

I'm a tad confused on what "hazy" is supposed to mean. Is it haze? And "tiny human hazy" confuses me too. Is it about the baby in Ana's womb?

The transition between Ana's dreaming and the something was a bit jarring. Because one moment it's about the dream, the next it's about the something. Unless it's part of the dream? I'm not exactly sure, maybe later on it may be clarified, but I'm just adding these thoughts on in case they might help when you do your line edits eventually.

Chapter 4.1:

I was quite mystified by the green muck. So, first, the Veil let Ana come in, and neither did the forest. But as Ana traveled deeper, the forest did permit her?? I'm looking forward to read on and see what's going to happen and unravel all the mysteries here. Although not a lot of heart-pounding events happen in these early chapters, you've done a great job showing all these mysterious things and giving me a taste of the world, so kudos for that!

My favorite part was where Esther talks to Jane, and Jane responds, though not in speech. I thought it showed a lot of characterization on the part of Jane, and I liked the way Jane didn't have to be a talking horse to tell her opinions (though she evidently understands Esther). I can imagine Esther talking to her a lot and bringing her about the forest, till Jane is familiar with things here and how they are supposed to be.

Sebastian is mentioned about twice here, and I still don't know who he is and I do want to know. Right now, I feel out of the loop about him, and I'd really appreciate a little background information about who he is. Is he Esther's father/brother/cousin/friend/spouse? I know next to nothing about him (unless I skipped some information, which is entirely possible, because somehow I read these segments several days before I actually review them...which reminds me, I probably need to be more timely with the reviews >.>)

This part reminded me in story structure about the inciting incident! I assume the inciting incident is where Ana breaks through the forest and into the cottage, because Esther's life is definitely, irrevocably changed! Perhaps, if Esther agrees to let Ana stay, maybe that might even work as the point of no return, because even if Ana leaves (eventually), the forest's magic might be changed (though the point of no return is usually later on).

Anyway, I think that's all I've got to say. Feel free to drop a PM or comment if you have any questions or other comments!

-Ink

In dreams, we enter a world that's entirely our own.
— Albus Dumbledore