z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

A Paper bag and a Sign...

by Snoops


Do you ever not recognize yourself in the mirror? You see this person standing there, copying every move but it doesn't feel like you. When I imagine myself, I imagine myself differently. Not prettier or skinnier. Just not like this figure I see in this mirror.  It's like that figure is how everyone else sees you, but it's not, it's just this cover of yourself, of how you feel and who you are. It feels like that a lot of the times.

I look at every aspect of me. My blue eyes, my soft lips, nose, teeth, my huge forehead, my red cheeks, my pointy eyebrows and even my ears when there not covered up by my curls. And if anyone asked me if i had brown curls, blue eyes, a huge forehead and a red face i would agree. But if that's not how I feel inside, how can that be me? How can "me" be someone I'm not? How can  the definition of me only be the person in the mirror or on the picture of my mom's fridge?

If someone glances at me, they will see exactly that. They won't see the girl who has a passion for writing, dreams about flying, and has a little depression shock when she realizes that the books she reads aren't reality. Maybe we should all cover our faces with a paper bag one day and hold up a sign of who we are. Thats how people could see who we really are, and not just see what we look like, because the truth is you cant pick your nose, eyes or ears, but you can choose help to a blind person cross the street, you can choose to see the world differently, you can choose who you want to be on the inside, so where is my paper bag and my sign? Because it's about time they see what I am. And not who I look like. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
841 Reviews


Points: 664
Reviews: 841

Donate
Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:41 pm
Radrook wrote a review...



Thanks for sharing this wonderfully insightful composition. I enjoyed this piece because it delves on a very profound truth-humans tend to judge by what they see. I also like the composition because it leads the reader to ponder the consequences of the suggestion: What would happen if we all place a bag over our heads and display a sign declaring who we really are?

Well, one thing to factor into that situation is human nature. Unfortunately, not all humans appreciate what most consider admirable qualities. They consider them weaknesses instead. In fact, there are humans who admire evil and consider goodness a character flaw. They proudly fancy themselves predators and such noble persons as prey. For a demonstration of this I suggest you watch the film Marathon Man and focus on the antics of the German doctor. In fact, knowing exactly who we are might provoke them to attack. That would happen if that paper bag suggestion were literally tried.

Suggestions:

“....you can’t pick your nose....”


“You can’t choose your nose....”

Otherwise nose-picking is conveyed.

so where is my paper bag and my sign?


New sentence needs capitalization:

“So where....”

Because it's about time they see what I am. And not who I look like.



Eliminate sentence fragment:

“Because it's about time they see what I am and not who I look like.”


"Thats how people could see....”


“That’s how people could see....”


.




User avatar
110 Reviews


Points: 3092
Reviews: 110

Donate
Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:15 pm
View Likes
TahaT11n wrote a review...



Hey, Lau! You already have got many reviews. So, I am gonna leave a short one. Wait, it may turn to be a big one, too.

First, the title. Yeah, definitely the type that catches my eyes. Points to the core-stone topic of the writing. And the topic itself is insightful. I liked it. Yet I found it confusing at some points.

Second, well, here comes my criticizing...Don't get hurt, ok?

In the first stanza, the third line- When I imagine myself......" sounded to be a little bit "out of the blue" or "unrelated" at first. But I did get the point by the end of the stanza. So, I think, you should have said something more to relate the mirror thing and your imagination so the confusion didn't occur.

Well, honey, the 2nd stanza sounded good,too. But a little bit confusing when you put the 4th line after the 3rd.

The third stanza sounded to give a new point to your writing. That is not really a good thing to do. It's the last stanza and like a conclusion. So, you should not introduce any new topic here. The new topic here is the book part and the part when you said about choosing nose and helping a blind person.

Overall, this deep thought needs more of explanation to be clear to the readers. This is a hard thing to do, I know. I messed it up in my story, u already know that. So, we both gotta keep harder. Definitely, I have to work even harder than you.

Anyways, that was good. No, beautiful. The thoughts that you have shared.




Random avatar

Points: 313
Reviews: 7

Donate
Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:04 am
Hannawrites wrote a review...



This is a interesting piece, the way a person views themselves and how they think others might view them is an interesting topic. An idea I had while reading this was maybe you could take the same writing style and instead of writing it about yourself develop a character and write an extensive piece on how he or she views herself. Might be cool way to grow and build characters? Anyway this was lovely, thanks for sharing!

--Hanna




User avatar
117 Reviews


Points: 4007
Reviews: 117

Donate
Tue May 12, 2015 8:55 pm
View Likes
crossroads wrote a review...



Hiya!

I figured I need to get back into the habit of reviewing, and what better starting point than new mentee's work?

Firstly, I enjoyed it, it captures those feelings and thoughts in a way that just rings true. I know exactly how some of those things feel, and I like the message at the end - it should never be about physical appearance, but about what the person has inside, and what the person feels inside. I like how you covered that.

Two more things before I move on to nitpicking grammar and stuff. One, I'm a bit confused as to you labeling this as a short story. While it is prose and it is short, it reads more like a short essay/article than a story, as it doesn't have the typical story elements (such as plot). That's not a bad thing, though - it's giving your stance on something, your look at what matters in people - but I'd suggest you maybe label similar works in the future as articles/essays, or even as that vague "other" kind; that will give your readers and potential reviewers a better picture of what they're clicking on. You can always include a disclaimer about what it is in the description field :)

The second thing, you might want to separate this into paragraphs. It's not very long so it isn't too much of a problem, but blocks of texts are generally harder to read than works separated into neat paragraphs (white space on the page between them also helps establish rhythm and even atmosphere in some cases).

Okay, grammar and language stuff, as I know you'd like to hear comments on that.

Lau2001 wrote:When i imagine myself, i imagine myself differently. Not prettier or skinnier. Just not like this figure i see in the mirror.

Pay attention to capitalise your "i"s. It's one of those English things that take some getting used to, but it's important to always keep in mind.
I like the first sentence, with the repetition of "I imagine myself" in it. The word "differently" may be a but confusing, though, as it isn't clear right away what exactly you mean by it. Differently in what way? Does it say that you want to look differently, or that, when you think of yourself, you imagine yourself with a different appearance, or something else? It gets a bit clearer later on, but it made me stop and wonder for a while here.

Its like that figure is how everyone else sees you, but its not, its just this cover up of yourself, of how you feel and who you are.

Missing apostrophes! Don't forget:
its - belonging to it (example: I like this site and its members.)
it's - a contraction of "it is" (example: It isn't cold outside, but it's raining.)
Don't worry, this is something even many native speakers have an issue with. Practice makes perfect, and it just becomes a habit soon enough.

As for the word "up", I'm iffy about it, because it suggests something other than your main point. When you say [i]cover up
, it feels like you're talking about the physical being a mask we put on, in a way, like it's there to deliberately hide what's on the inside - and I think that's not the case. What you're telling us here is that there's just much more of you under the physical appearance, that isn't obvious at the first glance. I think, in this case, saying just "cover" here would work. It gives me impression of a book cover, hiding all kinds of wonders on the inside if one just bothers to start reading - and that's kind of how we work too, right?

But if thats not how i feel inside, how can that be me? How can me be someone I'm not? How can the definition of me only be the person in the mirror or on the picture of my moms fridge?


Thats and moms both require apostrophes to be grammatically correct and agree with the sentence. In the former example, that's is a contraction of that is.
In the latter, mums would indicate a noun in plural, while what you need is a genitive (possessive form, you may call it), which requires 's to follow the noun - so, mum's (in possession of the mum) fridge.

The first me that I made orange is, strictly speaking, grammatically incorrect - it should be "I". However, since in the next sentence you have "the definition of me", you can edit the first sentence in a way that keeps the "me", while not messing with grammar. Either of the following would work:

How can me be someone I'm not?
How can "me" be someone I'm not?

In those cases, the emphasis put on the word "me" makes it clear that you're talking about it as about a noun, something that can be defined in some way. Hopefully that isn't too confusing xD

They wont see

A contraction of will not - needs an apostrophe.

a little depression shock

Okay, I think this part isn't technically incorrect, but it does read a bit oddly to have "depression" (noun) in the function of an adjective here. Things like that do happen and work in English, but in this case I think you might want to consider to rewording it. Maybe something like "a little shock of depression" or even "a depressing little shock" would work for you?

Maybe we should all cover our faces with a paper bag one day and hold up a sign of who we are.

Nothing wrong here. I just needed to say it's a great idea xD

Thats how people could see who we really are ... you cant pick

Contractions in need of apostrophes~

you can choose to help a blind person to cross the street

While it can work as it is, you can also safely remove the "to" here. You can choose to help a blind person cross the street works just fine.

so wheres my paper bag and my sign? Because its about time they saw who I was. And not who i look like.


Where's - contraction of "where is"
"It's" and capitalised "i" were already mentioned before.

About the words in orange: Saw and was are in past tense, while everything else is in present. Since your decision in these sentences is happening now, in the present, and especially since their tone feels like a call to action, you should switch these two words into present as well - "Because it's about time they see who I am."

As for the orange who in your sentence, it's mostly about personal preference. Since you speak of physical appearances as sort of covers or masks, and say that they are not what defines us at all, I would suggest changing this "who" to "what".

Okay, that completes it!
Overall, nice work. It has a nice flow, reads easily, and conveys a clear message, which are all plusses. Your sentence structure, word choice and grammar are generally actually very good, too - you just need to polish up the contractions, remembering to put apostrophes in the right places, and not forget to capitalise the I. Read through every story you write before posting it, checking for these things, and you're all good!

Hopefully this was helpful. I tried to not make it too confusing with all the grammar stuff (although English is confusing sometimes, and sometimes there's no helping it, lol), but if anything's unclear, just ask me and I'll try to explain my points better =]

Cheers,
R




User avatar
48 Reviews


Points: 970
Reviews: 48

Donate
Mon May 11, 2015 8:19 pm
View Likes
Edelweiss wrote a review...



People are so quick to judge one another, and it hurts when you are the victim. Your screaming on the inside that that is not how your are.
You did such a amazing job in showing that in here. Some people, well most people have difficulties in seeing whats on the inside. Lau you did a fantastic job here! Thank you so much for sharing it, and I am so glad that I read this. I hope to see more works by you soon!




Snoops says...


I know what you mean...its easy just to look at someone and judge, but you should take the time to get to know the beauty of the inside.



User avatar
26 Reviews


Points: 2064
Reviews: 26

Donate
Mon May 11, 2015 5:13 am
View Likes
PrinceofTerror wrote a review...



Nice essay about your view in life. :)

I get the idea that most of the time people see us for whom we really are not; we are even misjudged often. Sometimes I also think that we should label ourselves of who we really are to avoid confusion and misunderstanding, however, life doesn't work that way.

Life offers us the element of surprise, so we could learn to know other people the hard way, by giving our time to them, by sharing our own life. Using paper bag and sign will be the easy way out, for if people see your sign and don't like what's in it, they would just turn around and walk away, but without it, it is a must to know someone for better or for worst.

Am I getting a little serious? ha ha! It's a nice piece you have here Lau. I like what I have read. :)




Snoops says...


I know what you mean. It would be the easy way out to just wear a sign and paper bag. Thanks for commenting. I really appreaciate it. These little criticts make my day.



User avatar
19 Reviews


Points: 301
Reviews: 19

Donate
Sun May 10, 2015 10:39 pm
View Likes
TheSliv16 wrote a review...



This was so great! I think the idea of reflection is always hard to put into words but you did it very well. You weren't harsh or aggressive in your pleas, and you definitely made the reader think. I loved the twang of humor you had in there with: "when she realizes that the books she reads aren't reality." This makes complete sense to me, and I love it so much that I am going to read it again.

To critique: just watch some of your apostrophes and capitalization. I know that sometimes with writing it is easy to just miss those little details, but I think that would just make it look classier.

Write more pieces like this when you can!!




Snoops says...


"Write more pieces like this when you can" that really makes my day. When I read the stories of other uses I was thinking of how great they were and that my work wouldn't stand out. But I was proven wrong with all these kind messages. Thank you. I will also watch my apostrophes and capitalization.



User avatar
33 Reviews


Points: 760
Reviews: 33

Donate
Sun May 10, 2015 10:08 pm
View Likes
JoytheBrave wrote a review...



I really liked this. Honestly, whenever I walk by a mirror my reflection scares me. Not because I'm a scary-looking person or anything, but because it's just not me. I know what I look like, but it's not what I look like. Know what I mean? Sorry that was really confusing, but what I really meant to tell you was that I really connected with this poem. I love the idea of getting to know a person without seeing what they look like and making flash-judgments.

A lot of this piece sounded A LOT like me. I especially liked the part where you said "and has a little depression shock when she realizes the books she reads aren't reality." Me too Lau, me too. :)

Like Rain said, there are some capitalization and punctuation errors, but this is such a good piece they can be easily overlooked. :)

Also, I to think this would be a really good poem. It's great as is but I think it could be even more meaningful as a poem. :)

Welcome to YWS. I look forward to seeing you around. Keep your dreams alive, Lau and keep writing. :)

~Joy




Snoops says...


Thank you. This is my first published work and that people can relate and have different perspectives is really cool. I was really nervous to put it on, because I was wondering if maybe I was the only one that felt that way.



User avatar
456 Reviews


Points: 69427
Reviews: 456

Donate
Sun May 10, 2015 8:18 pm
View Likes
EternalRain wrote a review...



Ooh, this was fascinating.

I loved this. You kept a calm but form voice the entire time I read it, and I didn't feel forced or bored out of my mind. It was intriguing and kept my attention the entire time.

However, I was a little confused.
At first I thought you meant that you don't imagine yourself/see yourself like you actually look like (I know I do - I almost see myself "differently" in my head) but then you talk about the inside person, and what's beyond just their face. So I was a little baffled: which one were you going for? The imaginative kind or the beyond-your-face kind? If you could clear it up a little more that's be great. :D

Just a quick thing to mention - remember to capitalize your "I"s and put apostrophes in appropriate places (for example: wont >> won't)

I also think this would be awesome in poetry format. If you created another version but made it a poem, I think that would also portray the statement you're trying to make nicely too. It's always up to you though. :)

Great job! Please keep writing, your works are amazing. I hope this helps you.

~ EternalRain




Snoops says...


Thanks for reviewing. Much appreciated. Its my first work I have published, and I was really nervous. English isn't my first language and i learned with TV and books, so it's not perfect. I will try to make it into a poem version and make it less confusing. The truth is my mind is confusing, so a non confusing story would be a miracle. I'l try my best, dough.




It's kind of fun to do the impossible.
— Walt Disney