z

Young Writers Society



The Autumn Door - «1.2 Reveniit»

by Vervain


-text removed-


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
275 Reviews


Points: 15319
Reviews: 275

Donate
Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:15 am
elysian wrote a review...



Hiiii! I'm back earlier than I said I'd be because I reversed the order of novels when I re-entered my novel links so this will prob be the fastest turn around you'll get xD My computer had to get wiped for school so all my bookmarks got wiped and I had to reset everything back up, so yeah xD Nevertheless, excited to read on <3

**disclaimer: I will most likely focus on negative aspects more so than positive aspects when reviewing, and this is just to help you grow as a writer! It is totally okay not to agree with something I say! Also, If I repeat anything already said, it's probably because it needs to be changed!**

“Can we stop by the store?” she asked, and the car pulled neatly into a parking spot off the square.


I thought this read a little weird, maybe say and with a nod from scott or something.

It matched her lipstick.


this means nothing to the reader considering you didn't mention what color her lipstick is here or when you were describing her car. brown? black? green???

is justin her dad? I'm kinda confused on this.

Her head rang with echoes of freak and she’s one of those other ones—the first hurled by teenagers, the second whispered by little old ladies in the pew behind her at church.


why does her father having a family make her a freak?

why is she knocking at her own house? and if justin is her dad, why does she switch back and forth from calling him dad and justin?

Justin must have tried to clean them up.


okay, this kinda confused me. you're saying your room was clean, and then justin dumped your boxes to clean and then left it there? It would make more sense if he was trying to find something i think.

Her eyes closed for a moment, and then it was dark, and the apartment was silent.


personally, I had to reread this to realize that she had accidentely fallen asleeo, so maybe say "and when she opened them again, it was dark outside" or something to let the reader know time passed.

overall I think you're a real natural at this and I could see this novel on a shelf one day :-) I don't say that about many YWS posts but I do truly believe that with some work you could make it. <3

hope this helped, see ya next chapter (whenever I get there haha) :-)

- del




User avatar
766 Reviews


Points: 650
Reviews: 766

Donate
Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:50 pm
View Likes
Brigadier wrote a review...



Image

So I have absolutely no idea how much that image is going to stretch the page. It should work out or I might get contacted about something like messing around too much.

Mother Superior had the car up and running again in five minutes flat. She rattled off a nonsense diagnosis to Scott, but whatever the problem had been, she’d fixed it.

I remember you talking some in discord about the Catholic nun aspect and I know a lot of people who get really weird when they use a religion that's not their own? That being said, I also know a lot of people who use a religion that's not their own, and totally mistreat it.
So pretty accurate for nuns tbh. That's Catholic Lizz speaking, as someone who interacts with a surprisingly limited amount of nuns, despite working in the church office.

And it also sets the scene as something different for me? Because Scott doesn't turn into the macho manly man about fixing the car, he's chill with getting help in fixing the issue by a creepy old lad from a church. No matter if she maybe caused the issue by going around the rosary too fast.

Scott floored it all the way from the square to Tansy Lane Apartments. It was maybe two miles, but on the curving roads of Gramarye, it felt like they were flying. The car ran so smoothly on the new roads, air singing through the windows as it cruised at high altitude. The only thing missing was the thumping bass of the beat—Zelda reached for her phone and Scott’s aux cord, but they were already home, and the car was in park.

I'm sure you will start to notice that my reviews rarely cover big picture things, they mostly hone in the kill on little bits that bother me along the way.
Like this bit, that bothered me along the way. First, it's expressed about how short the journey is but then the audience is supposed to feel surprised? Outraged? Disappointed? All three? When she doesn't have the time to plug in the cord.
Swap the order is the only thing that comes to mind for me. It's honestly nothing dude, but my mind just works in hang ups, instead of focusing on the big things.

Spoiler! :
Image


Scott raised an eyebrow. “Your dad has family?”

There's many parts to her relationship with Scott that I'm sure I'll find myself questioning. And I guess it's because Zelda didn't really know about her aunt existing either, but the readers didn't know that when we passed over this line. It just sounds like this is a part of their friendship that went neglected and was a bit jarring to me.
Maybe I'm worrying too much.
I think the most major issue I'm having with your story is just the order of events? Like you're skipping points and then adding them back in later to clarify? That's just how it feels to me.

Zelda made a face. She climbed over her disorganized heap of boxes and collapsed in the bed. She would question her aunt when the sun came up.

And then there's the summary of the next chapter that will definitely be going terrible.

As an overall, I can talk about how much i like the found things concept, which I guess is supposed to be the pre-cursor to the magical fantasy part of this. It's interesting but I'm not totally digging it yet?

So bye for now?
Image




User avatar
1272 Reviews


Points: 89625
Reviews: 1272

Donate
Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:42 am
View Likes
Rosendorn wrote a review...



Two reviews in a day? Well I was curious.

So there's the mystery about her aunt and why Zelda was away. I still stand by my earlier statement that the threads need to be laid a little neater, and my comment about picking up the aunt from the airport was wrong.

Nerissa.

Actually, Justin.

Justin Justin Justin.

When it comes to character introductions, I feel that starting off angry is the weakest. Because I've read the LMS thread I know he is angry that Nerissa has shown up. I know he is angry at his fairy life coming back to the surface. But a new reader wouldn't know that, and I feel that starting angry is such a tar pit of places to trip, it's a weak emotion to start with.

Mostly because anger without context feels like drama. I know there is context and I know that this is another carefully laid thread in a foreshadowed plot, but I feel like there needs to be a black background before the gold laid over top can actually sparkle.

Right now, the canvas is too white to handle a new character introduced with anger. Zelda's got some colour to her from scene one, so her anger and confusion and hurt is easy to understand and sympathize with. But Justin is a blank piece of cloth, and gold thread is added over white, and it hardly shows up because... what else is there to him, to hook that gold onto?

He's a curious man, and I think more of his curiosities need to show up for his anger to truly sparkle as something odd. Because the way Zelda's describing it, his anger is odd... but we don't know that.

The exchange itself is lovely. Everything is a chess piece moved, intentionally set. More curiosities, more things established. Again, I don't think you have introduced too many concepts here— everything makes perfect sense.

But the pieces with Justin only make perfect sense to me because I know what's going on behind the scenes. This scene will be best should the opening (aka, the previous chapter) introduce him as he normally is: happy, bumbling, caring. Once you've laid those little flecks of who he is, then this stark difference will be a warning, will be a hook, and it will drag us through.

Now, I have the advantage of already having those bits of colour, so I am dying to know what happens next. The scene itself is well done. Lovely descriptions, lovely introductions. Everything's a little stark, but for such a high-emotions scene that's to be expected (especially in a first draft).

Just add a touch more of the normal to this first chapter, and this scene will stand out. It's gone a tad too much in the deep end for me.

Hope this helps. You know where to find me.

~Rosey




User avatar
299 Reviews


Points: 24185
Reviews: 299

Donate
Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:54 pm
TheSilverFox says...



Seriously though, I just want to mention that

The living room of apartment 108 opened its arms to welcome her in its sweet floral embrace. For about two seconds, she enjoyed the mingling smell of roses and lilies, perfumes distilling on the windowsill, oils curing on the counter. The scent of rain on the earth clung to everything, soft and a little musty, like a warm old attic being used for a sleepover. It was pillow forts; it was staying up late with bedtime stories on beautifully-painted board books; it was everything good about childhood and innocence.


makes me want to cry when I read it because it's so vivid and beautiful, and just, I love the images and emotional depth you create. <3




User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:59 am
ExOmelas wrote a review...



Welp, apparently nobody is online right now so I might as well review this too :P

Nit-picks:

Mother Superior had the car up and running again in five minutes flat. She rattled off a nonsense diagnosis to Scott, but whatever the problem had been, she’d fixed it.

Why is a church person so good with cars? Is it just because she's an adult?

elbowing past eager tourists who wanted to see Justin’s best arrangements only to leave whistling a tune full of disappointment

Ohhhh okay it's a florist. After I finish this review I'll go back and try and figure out what gave me the impression it was selling cameras for some reason.

That was all the upperclassman English teacher had assigned

Is "upperclassman" a word unique to this world, because I don't think I've ever heard someone described in this way. Tbh I'd expect someone in this situation to just say "posh".

It was exactly the kind of car that a calm and composed city woman would drive.

This sentence is meant to be, like, dry irony, right?

Justin normally wouldn’t be home this close to a flower festival.

A-ha! So it is her dad! Is there a reason she thinks of him as "Justin"?

Zelda’s laughter stopped dead. Her head rang with echoes of freak and she’s one of those other ones—the first hurled by teenagers, the second whispered by little old ladies in the pew behind her at church.

Am I supposed to understand right now?

“Your dad has a sister?” He turned it from an honest question into a joke.

I actually thought it was a joke at first, since it's presumably fairly obvious that a person would have some sort of family, turning it into sarcasm.

Overall:

I think what confused me here is that I had no idea from the previous part that Justin was so unkind. I think hints could be dropped to that earlier, so it's not such a big shock.

I'm also a bit confused by your world-building. What is so weird about Zelda? Is it to do with her being poor? Normally when I've seen kids being bullied for being poor they're called things like "scummy". "freak" implies that someone is unusual, but if a whole side of the city is poor, then that doesn't really work. The weirdest thing I've found about Zelda so far is that she calls her father by his first name :P

I also don't get why she's so embarrassed when Scott asks if her dad has family. If he's never met any, and he's known Zelda all this time, that feels like a reasonable exclamation.

However, I do like the character of Zelda, and now that I know what Justin is actually like I find him interesting too. I was slightly confused by the aunt, expecting her to be more like when Harry's Aunt comes to see the Dursleys :P She seemed kind of nice enough, eg offering to pay for something. Will be interesting to see characterisation of her if Zelda and her do get to talk in the morning.

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)




User avatar
324 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 324

Donate
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:18 pm
View Likes
Evander wrote a review...



Heyo, I'm back with a quick review before D&D!

. She leaned back in the soft leather seat and watched the shadows tick across the ground and the sun across the sky,

I do love the visual that this sentence has, but I definitely think the flow could be improved. "shadows tick across the ground and the sun across the sky". It feels like something is missing in the latter half, which is interrupting the flow. I'm digging the clock imagery, so maybe "the sun tocks" across the sky. Or, after seeing that on paper, maybe just "slid" or also "tick", haha.

Zelda ran inside, elbowing past eager tourists who wanted to see Justin’s best arrangements only to leave whistling a tune full of disappointment.

Is Zelda whistling a tune of disappointment or are the tourists? Also, dang, Justin is popular. I wonder if he's popular because of some faer influence?

Zelda had been there for too many sleepless nights over analytical essays to believe the lie.

In this chapter, it had previously been stated that they don't lie to each other. Unless I'm misunderstanding and only Zelda doesn't lie to Scott? Or perhaps it's that they don't lie to each other about big things?

She banished the thoughts and rapped out a short rhythm on the door.

Specifying "a short rhythm" led me to initially think that she and Justin had an agreed upon "Zelda is home" knock? So I was perplexed by Scott's reaction, haha. Then again, my family has a special knock so we know that someone safe is at the door. But, honestly, I'd just remove the section about the short rhythm and say "rapped on the door".

Then she saw her dad’s face. Jaw tense, fingers twisted together, legs crossed like some kind of movie villain.

He has fingers on his face??? JK, but leading into that description with the emphasis on his face led to a really interesting visual (but not one I think you were intending, haha).

Her smooth, composed face[...]

"Composed" is used a looot throughout this.

“I can sleep on your couch. Your…daughter doesn’t want me intruding. What child would?”

The ellipses makes it look like she was going to call Zelda something else entirely? Not that I'm complaining! I'm just now curious about what she was going to initially say, haha.

Daaang, so Justin comes off as abrasive throughout all of this? But since I know about faeries, I absolutely know why. Don't let faeries do you a favor. I figure this would be pretty neat for a less experienced reader to encounter and watch unfold!

Wait! I might have missed something, but what happened to Zelda cleaning her room for her aunt to sleep in there? Is her aunt actually sleeping on the couch? Oh no, faer favors. Justin hoped that she was sleeping in there, but didn't he want Nerissa to sleep in there instead?

Gaaah, I know stuff with happen to Scott but I really want to see him again. I would also like to see Justin when he's less tense, because he sounds like a really rad dude. Besides the little things that I've noted, I'm a big fan of your character interactions and character dynamics. But seriously, I love this introduction into the world. I seriously can't wait to start reading more about faer stuff.

Keep up the good work, Reine! Tag me when you post more stuff!

-E




Vervain says...


AHHHH THANK YOU this is so so so helpful all of this is being written down for revisions!!!

To clarify on the sleep situation, Justin and Nerissa finally agreed that Nerissa would sleep in Justin's room and he would sleep on the couch. I'll probs add that little exchange in revisions too.

And Justin is way less tense in chap 2 (because Nerissa is leaving)

Thanks so much again!



User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:48 pm
View Likes
BluesClues wrote a review...



BACK FOR MORE, AW YEAH. I meant to get to this earlier/yesterday, but I had a splitting headache the whole way home.

ANYWAY YOU LITERAL GODDESS WOW. Here's my favorite line first of all.

She leaned back in the soft leather seat and watched the shadows tick across the ground and the sun across the sky, a giant makeshift clock put together with the ingredients of trees and light and time.


So that line is 100% beautiful, but then the other line I really liked was this.

He didn’t like her being around mushrooms. Family allergies or something.


I can give no feedback whatsoever on whether or not this line stands out too much if you don't know what the story's about or whether or not it hints well at the coming faerness, because I've read your notes and I know the fairy rings are For Real. But! I loved this line because of how it ties into the more fairy tale aspects we'll be getting more of later on.

Nerissa, I think, will raise no suspicion whatsoever - she's not at all what I expected from your notes and knowing more or less who she is/how she's going to be important to the story. She just seems like Big City Business Woman Who Doesn't Get Along with the Family. But it's also clear that there's a serious problem there between her and Justin (for all his politeness about offering her his bed and not letting her pay for anything) and her and Zelda. So I'm excited to see where you go with this and to find out how we learn about Nerissa's tie to the faer world and her motives as the villain.

Also!!! I love the description of things in Zelda's room and the way the plants smell in their apartment and the way the lilies smell different to her when she sees her dad's expression. (To be fair, lilies always smell kind of cat piss/chemically to me but shhhhhh.) I still don't have much plot to comment on, since we're just getting to those bits, but! I think between the car breaking down in the last part and the tense arrival of the aunt in this chapter you've definitely got enough tension at the start of the story to keep readers reading!




Vervain says...


omg I'm so glad you liked it <3333 thank you so much!

and I'm super glad you thought this part carried well enough with tension! I was worried about it being too slow, especially since last part was creepy/tense and this part was more... just kind of focused on family and character dynamics instead, as well as introducing the knife and the found things at the park.

Thanks again!



BluesClues says...


Well, it *was* focused on family/character dynamics, but considering the family dynamics in this case make you wonder what's going on and what the family's problem is with each other, I definitely think it works!




cron
Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.
— H. Jackson Brown