Sorcerer [Part 1]

by Vervain

-text removed-

Hi Lareine,

I'm a bit rusty on reviewing prose, but I'm here to offer a few thoughts. [I also need to review something in the mystery & short story category and your opening paragraph intrigued me.]

The way you seamlessly blend the description in with what's happening and give little details of character is really well done (throughout the piece).

For instance here:

"Something about Kyle’s uncle made him look intimidating even while he was chomping down on candy—maybe it was that he stood six-foot-three slouching. He looked like he could bench-press a cow.

and
here:
He had a way of cursing without cursing—his words were filled with a barely-hidden “fuck you.”

I love that. I learn a little bit about the uncle character as well as how Kyle thinks, and what a creative way to describe the uncle, I can absolutely picture it.

This is another great spot: "Kyle breathed in the stale, old-house air and enjoyed it for a brief moment. Then he remembered that he was stuck here, without a car, without his friends, and without his mom for the next four weeks. " --- lovely job just establishing an overall sort of melancholy/restless/spooky tone.

A few spots that I stopped at:
"There was a cool little valley just past the lake where he actually got cell reception." -- This is nit-picky but the combination of "cool" and "little valley by the lake" sort of tripped me up. I'm not sure if cool is referring to temperature or asthetics.

This sentence was a bit hard to keep track of: "Every time Kyle asked her why she did this or that—or why she sent him to live with Uncle Jake when he was sixteen years old in July and he could have looked after himself for a month—he got the same response. "

"“Make yourself at home.” Uncle Jake came back downstairs—he must have gone up while Kyle was petting the animals—arms full of the cheap plastic dresser Kyle used on every visit since he was 5"-- in other places where you refer to age you used the written out numbers. Actually something I noticed in that section were there were quite a few numbers, and ages, and chronologies being listed. If some of them can be eliminated or other signifiers added it might be a good call, since it gets a bit more taxing to do the math in your head rather than reading "when I was a young kid". -- More exact to use numbers of course, but just try not to saturate it with too many I guess.

"There was fuck-all to do on the property." -- Maybe I just don't curse enough, but for some reason this one didn't quite make sense to me. :)

I'm not sure it matters, but for the earlier part of the piece I was unclear whether Jamie was a male or female. Also in the texting portions, it would add some clarity to add the initials of the names before the message -- although this is a mystery, and it's not really necessary to the context in most places -- so just a note.

Ending
At the end of the story for me it wasn't super clear what happened, was player 1 a ghost? was the pinball machine haunted? And were his fingers really bleeding at the end?

I didn't expect the ending, but the suspense you had going up to it was great. All the while I was very curious what the uncle was working on and what would finally be the turn in their relationship or the story. For me the ending opened up more questions than answers.

Overall, some things that stood out were as I said before you descriptions but also your characterization. Kyle, the Uncle, and Jamie all had such clear personalities that were really entertaining to unfold as the story went on. Your dialogue was natural and also went with those personalities.

An enjoyable piece to read and consider!

~alliyah

alliyah says...

Apologies, I just realized there is a part two for this piece, which now makes the ending make more sense. For some reason I didn't realize it said part one in the title.

Kanome wrote a review...

Hello, Lareine. I am here to provide you a review in honor of Review Day. Also, I think I promised I'd review it, so yeah. Let's get started, shall we?

Overall Opinion
I love the suspense in this chapter. It seems like Kyle became addicted into the pinball game, which is probably what the pinball's goal was anyways. Uncle Jake definitely had that "I am hiding a secret" vibe to him. Uncle Jake also is like one of those "didn't I tell you whippersnappers not to do this?". He is my all-time favorite character in this so far. Even though he is kind of a jerk.

Nitpicks and Stuff
I didn't really find anything wrong with the first part of the short story so moving on ~

Conclusion
Great first part of the story, I can't wait to see what comes next. Keep up the great work!
Keep writing ~

- Kanome

inktopus wrote a review...

Hey, Lare! Ink here for a review on Review Day, so let's get into it!

Style Nitpicks:

The Thrainsson family farmhouse was fifteen long miles away from civilization, surrounded by nearly 300 acres of nothing but family land.

I found the use of family 2 times redundant.

Something about Kyle’s uncle made him look intimidating even while he was chomping down on candy—maybe it was that he stood six-foot-three slouching. He looked like he could bench-press a cow.

Two things: using Kyle's name felt strange here. I'd just use a pronoun. Also, this is probably the most nitpicky thing I've ever said, but I think that the second sentence is too similar to the first to be its own sentence. I'd join the two with a semicolon.

His mom was always complaining about her good-for-nothing brother asking her to spare two or three grand for bills.

If Jake is a "good for nothing" brother, why does Kyle's mom have no qualms to having him stay with him for several weeks multiple times a year.

a pattern that hadn’t seen the factory since 1973

I was confused by this. Does that mean that the chair hasn't been produced since 1973 or that the chair is from 1973? I just think it's a bit convoluted, and it could stand to be reworded.

Amazing Lines:

“Absolutely not.” He had a way of cursing without cursing—his words were filled with a barely-hidden “fuck you.”

This is one of the best descriptions of how someone talks that I have ever read. I love this.

Overall:

I loved this! It was incredibly well written, and I am both pleased and sorry to admit that I have very few critiques for it. I noticed a few places where you got a bit lazy with the description, but it's honestly not a huge issue given how compelling this is.

If you have any questions or just want to talk, contact me on discord!

~Ink

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:50 am
JLCruz wrote a review...

Hello, here for a review!

I have to say that this story is amazing so far! I. I feel it is very descriptive and captivating.

Now, for the nit picky parts of this. Admittedly, there is not a lot that it worth fussing over. And i'm not sure if its because i'm new and not used to seeing it but the "&" symbol is a little confusing to me. At first i though it was do transition as if to a new page but it's used so frequently and i felt it didn't allow for the story to truly flow. Again that is just my opinion and i don't want you to feel i'm telling you what to do haha. However, this is still very beautiful story! I feel like you have made it full of metaphorical phrases, and you cut it deep with emotion. I look forward to reading the second part!

10/10!

Please keep writing! Can't wait to see your future works!

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
— Groucho Marx