Short Story Place Description

by LakeOfCancer

A/N: This is just a place description of a short story we will make in AVID. So I just want to know what you guys think.

This was the rubric, well questions that were listed to make it.

What does your place look like?

What does it sound like?

What does it feel like? Are there specific textures to your place?

What does your place smell like?

What does it taste like?

See yourself at this place. What are you doing?

What is the "mood" of this place -- is it cheerful, somber, reflective, or...? What is it about your place that gives it this mood?

_________________________

The towers of factories loomed behind me. Smoke as dark as coal rose from the skinny, grey pipes. The many Hovers scattered around it.

As I walked away from it, the city stood in front of me. Towers reaching to the sky, becoming a tall shadow looking down at me. People crowded the streets, some walking like I was, some in their Hovers, some even on Hoverbikes. I continued walking down the transparent street. No one glanced in my direction, they all paid attention to their own business.

The sounds of Hovers honking as the traffic got worse was what I heard the most; people talking on their phones and to each other was overwhelming; and then of course were billboards, how they had a cheerful voice made me gag, nothing about here was cheerful, not unless you called a cloudy sky 'cheerful'.

The smell of food vendors and Hover gas filled my nose, cologne and perfume from people made me pinch my nose so I couldn't smell the terribly strong odors. 

If I could imagine tasting something here, I would be wrong. This place was filthy, nothing here was all the way clean. The only clean thing were the buildings. 

The sidewalk needed a new coat of concrete, there were cracks everywhere in it. There were even some artificial plants growing in a few cracks. The less popular shops and buildings ad a visibly thick coat of dirt and whatnot on the windows, and they all had terrible materials, some were even still made out of fiberglass and brick! Which is ridiculous considering the amount of advanced technology we developed. 

I saw my favorite restaurant and walked in, this was one of the few least popular shops that got upgraded five years ago, and it still looks as good as new! I opened the door, and a ting resounded throughout the whole shop. A few couples turned to look at me, and most kept talking about their lives and other stuff with their friends or spouses.

Artem Maestas, the owner of the restaurant, smiled at me and said hello. I said hello, smiling back. He had black hair, like I did, but he had longer hair, much longer than I did. I had hair that went to my shoulders. 

He had green eyes, while I had blue. He was pale while I was an olive color. I went up and ordered a tuna sandwich at his marble counter. He had one already made for me, and I walked out of the door in less than three minutes. 

I found myself thinking of my dad, what he would do when he found out I had ran away from him again. God knows what he would do if I came back and he was drunk. I would get abused just like I have been.

I walked behind an alley, behind a store or two next to The Big Fish, Artem's restaurant, and found myself turning on my phone's flashlight. It was disgusting back here, trash and cigarette butts covered the ground, the smell of dirty diapers filled the air. Clearly homeless people who haven't showered in weeks, possibly even months, without a shower.

I went all the way back to the wall made of brick, graffiti covering it. One said, "Aaron was here!"

At last, I slipped off my blue beanie. And let out my secret to the world. The flesh on it opened, slowly and I knew it was watching. 

I summoned a portal, black and blue popped out of thin air, all colors swirling round in an oval, perfect for me. I finally got through my nerves again, and slowly walked closer to the moving orb. 

I put one foot through, feeling tingly in that one foot. I moved the other foot through, feeling tingly all over, now all I could see was blackness.

An image popped in front of me, it was the Warlock. 

"Where do you wish to go?"

"My brother...Asher. Asher Collins."

"As you wish."

The next thing I knew, I blacked out. 

lelu wrote a review...

Wow. This is good. I love the city...well, it's realistic anyway. Is this part of a larger story? 'Cause it seems like it would make a good one. Okay, first off, you describe the things in the rubric well and you don't make it seem like a catalog or a Pokémon card. There aren't many ways you can go wrong in a piece like this, except, of course, for grammar, punctuation, spelling, and capitalization. Which are the only things I'm really good at reviewing, so I'll do that. First off, you say that the pipes were skinny and grey. This is fine, but there is no comma between an adjective and a color. Colors are like numbers; they don't count. The part about the towers is a sentence fragment and shouldn't be one. I should also address your lack of semicolons. "An image popped in front of me, it was the Warlock." The comma should be a semicolon, and you also do this in several other areas. I hope this helps. Happy review day!

LakeOfCancer says...

Thanks! It's definitely part of a larger story!XD I appreciate your review! GO RED PANDAS!!!!!!XDXDXD :P

Trashcan wrote a review...

Hello there! I'm not that great at introductions so let's jump right in.
First, the main thing I like about this little tidbit of a story. The worldbuilding is excellent, I've always loved the aesthetic of a technology-centered but dingy city, even if it is a bit overdone. I also like the worldbuilding tips at the top, I'll keep those in mind when I finally get around to writing a fantasy story of some kind. Here are a few more worldbuilding tips I've been told over the years, they may not all work for the tone of this story, but you should keep them in mind, just in case.
How different races are viewed.
What children are taught about in school.
The history of the country (at the very least a brief outline of it).
Common grammar/spelling mistakes the native speakers make.(sidenote, not everyone talks in perfect grammar! Keep that in mind when writing characters)
The countries sense of humor, what jokes are told, etc.
Alright, a few things I have a bit of a problem with. They're not major, just a few small things.
It may be just me, but I feel like the main character reveals the truth about his dad a bit too early, maybe wait at least a few chapters before we learn stuff like that.
Another thing which, again, may just be me, but I think the main character compares himself to others too much. Characters explaining what they look like to the reader exactly is not a thing that's commonly used in literature, so it's a bit jarring to read.
One last thing, I feel like the use of exclamation marks takes away from the tone of it, as exclamation marks are generally used for things that are exciting, but the rest of the story seems the exact opposite. It seems slow, and atmospheric, so again, a little bit jarring to read.
That's really all I have to say! Hope you continue writing!
-Trashcan

LakeOfCancer says...

thanks! and btw, no problem, cause you didn't know, but it's a she!XD it's okay that you didn't know, just saying.

Trashcan says...

Oh, sorry! I guess it was the voice I read it in in my head that made me think it was a dude. Thanks for telling me! Oh, also, I kinda like this story, is there a way you could tag me somehow when the next part goes up? If there will be a next part, that is. :)

LakeOfCancer says...

of course!XD

Que wrote a review...

Hey Lake! Happy review day. :)

I'm going to start with some specific things and then give some overall ideas.

The many Hovers scattered around it.

I'd like to know more about the Hovers, so hopefully you'll get to that! Just from the name and the industrial scene, this seems rather sci-fi to me, which is interesting. But you said "the" many Hovers, which seems to beg something else. For example, "The many Hovers in the city" or "The many Hovers I had been avoiding". Including "the" in there just seems to need something else to follow it up. If that's not what you want, you could just say, "Many overs were scattered around it" instead.

People crowded the streets, some walking like I was, some in their Hovers, some even on Hoverbikes.

I feel like if Hovers are more like hovering cars, then wouldn't they be called Hovercars if you have Hoverbikes in there? Just a suggestion. Or maybe you can come up with a more creative name, one that's less used but conveys the same idea.

The sounds of Hovers honking as the traffic got worse was what I heard the most;

This seems like a strange way to say this. "Mostly, I heard the sound of Hovers honking as the traffic got worse," might be better, followed by, "but underneath that..." I think a lot of your sentences are sort of formed like that, which usually happens to me when I have a bunch of ideas at once and can't really write them down in a decent order. Maybe you should read some of this out loud to see if some of these make sense in terms of order or structure. Sorry I can't come up with anything better to say pertaining to this -- it's mostly just a feeling of awkwardness when I read some sentences, though the content is perfectly fine.

You have a lot of sensory details, but I would like to see some of them combined. You say "I hear this and I smell that" which is fine, but I'd also like to see some, "I hear this, which looks like that, which smells like this other thing" which would help the reader get a fuller picture. Good job on the inclusion of those details, though! Things like smells and taste are often hard to put in.

This is sort of strange. I understand that the restaurant is better because it was updated, but if the narrator hates this whole area so much, then why does he/she have a favorite restaurant? Why is there just one good place when everything else is so clearly horrible? I mean, even the people in there seem better. Questions to think on.

This seems like a sort of overused way to introduce character traits that aren't all that important. I mean, I love seeing how characters look, but we don't even know how this character acts yet! I'd say focus on that more than the physical traits. All we know about the narrator this far in is that he/she hates that general area and frequents this shop and likes tuna sandwiches. Also, if the narrator is such a regular customer that Artem already has a sandwich made, then I feel like the two of them would have more of a conversation? And if not, the narrator would be in there for less than three minutes.

This is interesting, but I don't really understand at all. The secret is in the beanie? The flesh on what?? What was watching??? Maybe you could take some more time with this part. I understand that you don't want to reveal everything right off the bat, and you don't need to do that, but if you could make this bit more clear, that would be wonderful.

You could just make this a little snappier, like, "An imaged popped in front of me: the Warlock."

Okay, overall, this was interesting. Other than the Hovers, I'm not sure how the rest of this is sci-fi or futuristic and I'd like to see some more evidence of that through all of the things the narrator sees. There were bits, like the artificial plants, but it's almost like you were avoiding those things. Which makes sense, I guess, since it's the narrator's natural time period, but maybe you could weave some more things in.

You've got some minor grammar errors, just watch out for those. :) Also, I know you're focusing on description, but the ending (with the portal) is much more alluring than the beginning (with all the description). If you still want to focus on the description, then I'm not sure how to change this, but you might want to find something to put in the beginning that would pull in readers more. Like present the "not normal" details first.

Good job with this! Keep writing. :)

-Q

It's a dramatic situation almost every time you answer the phone—if you answer the phone.
— Matthew Weiner