18+

State to State - 3.2

by Brigadier

EMILY AGAIN

Ten minutes later, Emily was standing in front of the bathroom mirror, picking small debris out of her hair.  While the blood and dirt had been washed away by the short-lasting warm water, there would always be the leaves and twigs stuck in nooks and crannies.  Her towel dripped onto the floor, water mixing with small remains of dirt and the formed pool of blood.  Emily tried to ignore the blood stain on the towel with a quick worry about someone discovering the stain.

“Shit.”

The single curse word was followed by a knock on the bathroom door.  Judging from how the shoes were clicking against the linoleum and the heaviness of the knock –

“Emily, it’s Joe.Are you doing okay in there?”

“Yeah, just give me a second to get dressed.  Would you boys get dinner started?”

Joe answered with a short, “Yeah,” and turned back down the short corridor.  Obviously, he wouldn't do that but at least they could mutually pretend it would actually happen.

Emily leaned against the door, waiting until the voices in the kitchen began again before taking the tub of fire ointment out of the cupboard.  Now was the time to suck it up, rather than having to explain the matter at some urgent care with questionable paper sheets on the tables.

As she dipped a small bit into the long cut, Emily began by saying, “Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.”

The paste seemed to be working as a small flame lit along the seams, slowly binding her skin back together.  Fire treatments were not for the weak of heart.Really fire treatments were not for anyone, with their highly illegal status and all.

"Blessed art thou amongst women and is blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus."

The next segment of the prayer slipped out as the burning pain had changed, turned cold and numbing her stomach.  With numbness, there should have been no room left to feel pain, but the process only hurt more than before.  And as the flame finally left the surface of her skin, a spark spread to the flowered bath towel, easily taking it up in smoke.

Instead of another exclamation, there came the forced words of, "Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death."

The "Amen." came after a coughing fit caused by Emily tightening the belt around the still burning wound.  Her bath towel smoldered on the floor but at least there was no need to worry about evidence of blood.All of that had been burned away.

She looked to the mirror one time while combing her hair and wiping any remains off of the sink.  Taking care of the wound should have been done out in the field, or immediately once arriving home.  Rather than starting a conversation with her dear friend about sexual habits and eventually running into the anatomy logistics.

“Don’t let anything happen during dinner.”

The desperate thought ran through Emily’s mind as she crept across the linoleum, only making a sound on the bottom step.  Emily met Sherlock on her way up the stairs, limping and patting at the small flames on her bath towel.

“And here they say that I’m the flaming gay.”

“Sherlock, please just go and put the spinach and the tomatoes on the stove.And put the macaroni in the oven.  And make sure those heathens don’t destroy my kitchen.”

His eyes maintained a focus on the flames, only moving back to contact with Emily when she lightly tapped on the tweed covered shoulder.

“Hmm?  Oh, the kitchen?”

“Yes, the kitchen.  Would you go heat everything up?”

“Of course.  Is there something wrong, Emily?”

Emily quickly straightened up, correcting her stance and answering Sherlock with a sharp, “No.”

Sherlock’s eyes lingered around her hips, before finally moving back to the steps to make sure there wasn’t another stair accident.  In the past six months, they both had managed to tumble down the small flight several times.  Very few injuries but it had produced enough fear when anyone was alone on the steps, even more worry for two people standing on the same step at the same time.

“Are you sure?  Because you seem to be a bit-”

“Everything is fine, sweetheart.”

Everything was not fine.

Any time a person happened to use such a phrase, the two people in the conversation would know everything was going wrong. Any time the word "fine" was used outside of signaling attraction, it was given in an ironic way of hope. Some sort of hope that everything would be fine, however dark the situation may seem or how a story managed to fall into a confusing line of details.

The last touch of eye contact made before they turned their opposite ways on the stairs made the point clear.  Emily ran up the last bend of the stairs, noticing the stray nail too late and squeaking out, “Goddamn it,” as she fell to the floor.  Her forehead impacted with a tack in the linoleum, but this pain was a step below getting slapped by a jackalope.

Another call of: “Are you okay?” came up the stairs to Emily’s position.  Her mind bounced between answering and ignoring, choosing not to hear the fake cries from the kitchen.  The bedroom was in the disheveled state from two mornings before, clothing scattered across the floor and the blood spatter still on the mirror.

“Guess I should clean that…tomorrow.”

Emily sat down on the bed, looking into the blood on the mirror and slowly brushed out her hair.It hung down over her back, in need of Sherlock’s nimble fingers to braid it back up to a safe hunting length.  The color was almost fading from the dying done six months ago shortly before leaving the Triangle.  It was turning back to the brown color she was shunned for by the Family and the random bright red streaks were no longer pleasing.

“You need to get down there and work and stop moping about one little cut across your stomach.”

The thought got pushed back for another few moments, hanging above the bed with a certain staleness of other things. Her eyes maintained contact with the ceiling tiles in their state of disrepair while her own computer inputted the data from the case. It would be a long report to type when tomorrow rolled around. And all of the other duties that would come with a Monday morning in the sheriff's office.

"Go."

Emily crept down the stairs, tightening her belt once more when hitting the bottom step. The pain shot back up through her leg and into her gut with a feeling of fire rising again.It might have been a mistake to take on the werewolf alone but there wasn't enough trust for Joe left. There had been too many assignments lately where he slipped on ice and let a suspect run too far. And those were the sort of reasons why Emily knew she would have to get rid of him one way or another.

"Dinner is on the table. I just couldn't convince them to set it."

Sherlock was alone in the kitchen by the time she managed to limp out and answer his call. There was no sign of the house guests outside of the beer bottles on the table and the lingering smell of Joe's bad cologne choices.

"What happened on your case, Emily?" Sherlock stopped and pulled out her chair at the head of the table. "How did you get hurt this time?"

A wooden spoon was pointed in her direction with the addition of the second question.

"Just a little old werewolf in the river. I thought he was dead the first time and then I went to slice him open to retrieve some stolen items and-"

"And he wasn't quite dead?"

She stepped around the edge of the table, being careful not to land a foot on the open heating grate and laid out napkins.

"He wasn't quite dead, and I was left standing in a river wrestling the bastard while I shuffled in the dark to find my knife."

"In the dark? But it's just barely getting dark now?"

Emily watched the confused look cross his face as the information was slowly processed. She went back about the dishes on the table, scooping approximate amounts onto each plate and leaving two spots available for whoever might stop in during the dinner hour.

Supper was being served early enough in the evening that someone could happen across their meal. And the only polite thing to do would be to invite guests fully within the house.

"Emily, how long have you been injured?"

"Awhile but I'll make it up soon enough, sweetheart."

All the reply Emily got was a sigh as they both sat down to eat.  The others would come when she took pity on them.

“You know, I think potatoes were severely overrated in my day.”

Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:00 pm
FruityBickel wrote a review...

Oliver here to review again.

The more I learn about Emily, the more confused I am by her. It seems to me like everything about her contradicts herself. I know she's set up to be this badass woman character but sometimes her choices, like failing to fix up her injuries, just seem less than smart.

Again, I love the casual interactions between her and Sherlock. It really lends itself to the depth of their friendship and their history together.

Where...where did John and Joe go. Why are they no longer there, why are they not helping with dinner. Why are cis men like this. *Frustrated sigh*.

It's interesting to me that Emily would rather face danger than trust people in her life. Like with the werewolf and Joe, and the scene on the staircase where Sherlock asks her if there something wrong and she says "no". Why is she so distrustful of people, especially those she loves, like Sherlock? Lots of questions that I hope to be answered.

Now some quotes/nitpicky stuff/commentary:

This seems very Lemony Snicket of you here.

And those were the sort of reasons why Emily knew she would have to get rid of him one way or another.

Interesting that she's gone from being in bed with him to wanting to get rid of him so quickly.

Are there....napkins on the floor...?

All the reply Emily got was a sigh as they both sat down to eat.

Sherlock's so used to her shit.

That's all I've got for now. Good chapter. Getting better at putting meat on the bones, though I still wish it were more fleshed out. Otherwise, good job.

Keep writing,

LordStar

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:08 pm
BluesClues wrote a review...

Rather than starting a conversation with her dear friend about sexual habits and eventually running into the anatomy logistics.

Heh, I was just thinking about this. If you hadn't mentioned it I was gonna be like, "wait, why'd she have time for that pleasant chat with Sherlock before fixing herself up?"

Fire treatments were not for the weak of heart.Really fire treatments were not for anyone, with their highly illegal status and all.

Love it. But also: of course, of course they're illegal. Of course Emily uses illegal stuff to bind her wounds, although on that note I sort of have to wonder why fire treatments are illegal in the first place, if they're for healing purposes.

Then again, I guess anything fiery can be used destructively, no matter what they're meant for.

Heh heh heh.

Any time the word "fine" was used outside of signaling attraction

Omg

There had been too many assignments lately where he slipped on ice and let a suspect run too far.

On purpose, or is he just getting really bad at his job? Or is it the second but Emily distrusts him enough to think maybe it's the first?

Emily watched the confused look cross his face as the information was slowly processed.

I wasn't sure what information Sherlock was processing here, but I read enough of your stuff that I trusted you to answer that question sooner or later, and sure enough there it was, a little further down the page.

I like that we're getting further hints about Emily's relationship with Joe - nothing too explicit, but it certainly says something about their relationship that she'd rather face a werewolf herself than trust him to face it with her. And then where he comes to check on her, but she sends him away to make dinner but knows he's not actually going to help. And then I also feel like we get more of Sherlock and Emily's relationship here, purely for the reason that Emily ignored her own terrible injury to comfort him. Like she just seems to prioritize him even more every time I see them together.

I'm officially making it my goal in life to become a roomba. I want to be little robot. I want knives taped to me. I want to be free.
— TheMulticoloredCyr