Power of the Secret Keeper

by Lightsong

She walked to me and sat besides me. Her ominous silence was unsettling. To my confusion, I realized that although a brush of sunlight washed over her face, her eyes remained dark black. The longer I stared at them, the darker they became. Out of a sudden, she smiled.

“I know about your deepest secret, Rafiq,” the girl with the ponytail whispered. Her chilly words were enough to raise my goosebumps. “The secret you are scared to tell. The one that only few trusted people know.”

It was an empty statement - but she sure hinted something that was real. I frowned. Which secret is she talking about? I have so many of them.

I remembered that we were not alone. There were two other students sitting opposite to us. I looked at them, and was glad to see those bookworms had their eyes glued to the novels they read. Besides them were two empty seats, which belonged to two more students; one of them was my dearest friend.

“I don’t know what you are talking about, Syaz,” I said. I wanted my voice to be loud and clear, but instead it came out muffled. “Stop wasting your time spouting rubbish.”

I made a desperate mental list of people who shared my secret two years ago when I was in Form Four. They were my four trusted girl friends. I had warned them not to tell anyone about it. I knew they were reliable friends. Nonetheless, if I was to guess the one who told Syaz about my secret, it would be her.

“I’m not wasting my time and you know it,” she said. “You might wonder why I’m doing this. I’m bored, really, and you are the perfect person to entertain me.” The casualness in her tone when saying something that was very important and serious annoyed me. Did she really know it? I was tempted to challenge her to say the secret out loud, but I refrained.

“If you are right, you must heard it it from someone,” I said. “Who’s that someone?”

My question might triggered something in her because her eyes were no longer the same. Their reflections were back. She blinked them a few times, and gulped. Why? What happen? This person I trusted and was her source of secrets should be someone important to her. At least that was what I thought after seeing her reactions.

“I can’t tell you who. In fact, I shouldn’t tell you this,” she said.

Eh? I thought she was going to play with me like I was a toy she could manipulate however she wanted. Lowering my sight, I could see her clutching her hands. The table was turned around.

“She’s not ‘someone’... She’s my best friend. I won’t do anything against her,” she said. Her voice was too low for me to hear but not low enough.

I smiled. Although we rarely talked with each other for the past two years, I could understand her. This girl was not intimidating. She was just someone who tried to be one. When she realized she made a mistake, she fell apart like a fragile glass.

“Ah, but you have already did,” I said. I laid back. “By telling me this, you break your promise to her. She told you my secret when she knew I was against that. Just like you, she realized her mistake, and told you to keep it as a secret. She was your best friend, so naturally she valued you greatly and trusted the secrets she knew to you. You promised her you would keep the secret to yourself, and yet, here you are, sharing me the secret. That, my friend, is what we called ‘betrayal’. It’s the worst thing you can do to a friend, but it’s also the easiest.”

I could see her chest going upward and downward. It was not clear before, but it was clear now.

She did not say anything, so I continued, “I told the secret to four individuals only. Although our communication is greatly reduced, I still can contact them through the social media. Heck, I think I have their phone numbers.” I paused, letting all my words sink to her. “Would you like me to ask them whether they have revealed this secret to someone else or would you not?”

“No,” she said. “Don’t you dare. You have to remember, your secret is in my hand. You don’t want me to share it to everyone.”

“Do I?” I said, frowning. “There are times when I don’t. If everyone knows it, I do not have to carry the burden of keeping it as a secret. Yes, the secret is appalling. Once they know what it is, they would isolate me. They would see me negatively. I would not belong to society. Some would tell me to fix myself, go see someone who could fix it for me, or whatever. They would even offer themselves to help me. In short, people’s reaction to it won’t make me feel better.

Enough of that. “Tell me who was it now, or I’ll swear you’ll never see your best friend again.”

I thought I had everything under my control. Nevertheless, I was wrong. I could see her unclutched her hands. Her head raised. The fragile glass I had imagined was gone.

“You are not in a position to threat me,” she said. “It’s one thing to have your secret exposed, it’s another when certain someone knows it.” She looked at the empty seats and tilted her head. “I wonder when are they going to come back - the boy, especially.” She nodded.

She knows that too?! “Stop it,” I said.

She could not possibly think of telling that secret to him. That would be disastrous. He would not talk to me anymore. He was my closest friend. I met him when we were in primary school, and our friendship survived despite the hardship threatened to break it. He was a loyal, helpful, and sensible friend.

She let out a soft, melodic laugh. “Oh, did you think of that when you tried to do the same thing to me? Did you?”

The question poked me. I didn’t. I could not bear it if she told him my secret. My secret which was closely tied to him. Would he still be loyal, helpful, and sensible to me when he finds out about this? Would he still be my friend? The questions kept popping in my mind, disturbing my logical thinking. They kept intruding my space of comfort.

A couple of students went into the class. They sat at their place.

“Mrs. Hamsah asked us to meet her. She wants to talk about the book voucher we have - the ones she gave to us,” the spectacled girl said.

The boy looked at me and smiled. “Let’s pack our things. We don’t want to make her waiting for us.”

“Before we go, Ian,” Syaz said to him, “I want to share with all of you something. It’s about Rafiq. He keeps urging me to tell you guys about this. He thinks it’s important for you as a friend to know.”

“Oh, this sounds interesting,” Ian said. He winked at me. “What is it?”

I was not prepared for this. “I - it’s nothing -”

“He prefers males over females,” Syaz said, cutting my sentence. “He said he couldn’t tell you this because he was afraid of your reaction - it might not be good.”

Ian was silent for a moment. He laughed. “I don’t give a damn on whoever he likes or prefers. He can like anyone and I’ll be cheering for him. Man, I thought it was a huge secret or something.”

While he said that, the two bookworms looked at me with undecipherable frowns. “Are you serious? Are you really like... that?” the male bookworm said. “You are disgustingly awesome!” he exclaimed and giggled. “I wonder what will the other students react to this - the perfect Rafiq is gay!”

His sharp words injected my body with a snake’s venom, but I did not care. I cared what my friends thought, and Ian thought my true sexual reference was nothing to worry about. I sighed in relief. Alas, Syaz’s plan to break our friendship failed.

“He likes you, Ian, for a long time,” Syaz continued, revealing another secret of mine.

It triggered another laugh from him. “Wow, seriously? Well, I’m not really surprised. My handsomeness easily charms people’s hearts.” He shrugged.

This time, I let out a genuine laugh. “Don’t be so cocky, Ian.”

“There’s one last thing,” Syaz said. I could hear the irritation in her voice. She stood up. “Just one year ago, Rafiq started to check a website. One which allowed the users to make an ad, and this one was exclusive to people who wanted to find male-to-male relationships with others. He posted his own ad, showing his sexual appeal and the desire for other males to dominate him. You could see a picture of his naked body, and his mobile phone number on it.”

I froze. This... I did not tell anyone about this. Not even to the four friends I had mentioned. It was my moment of stupidity, of letting my desire take control of me, and of wanting to explore dangerous and exciting relationships. I tried everything to keep others from knowing it. I lied to my parents about going to sleep in my friend’s house when I was following some guy to his house. One day, after working as a part-time worker, I waited another guy in front of my work place. When I entered his car, it was late at night.

“His ad attracted many horny older men. They used his body every night, making him their slave. And he liked it - oh, he liked it a lot. He never stopped enjoying every moment of it until he quit his job.”

“It-it’s not... true. They - they were all lies,” I said. My denial was weak. It was clear in my voice. I looked down. I could not bear looking at him. But I did. I did look at him. And I regretted it.

I realized his dark eyes were disturbing. He clenched his jaw. He stood up, and said with a cold voice, “Pack your things quickly. I’ll meet you all there.” 

He grabbed his bag, and left the class. Others left the class. Only Syaz remained. “Thank you for entertaining me,” she said with a cordial tone. She left.

I was all alone. Defeated by the Secret Keeper who not only held people’s secrets but their fears too. 

NOTE: You might realize there are mixed tenses in some parts. Some sentences should be italicized to show that they are the protagonist's thoughts. 

Vervain wrote a review...

Hello, darling! Here as requested, sorry that it took so long.

To begin with, this is a short story. This means that you really need to grab your reader in the first paragraph, because you have a lot less space to convey your story than you do in a novel. Now, in a short story you can admittedly skim over some parts that might be necessary in a novel, but a hook is absolutely necessary for everything. Now, with that in mind, let's look at your first paragraph:

See, none of this screams to me as a writer, "I am a hook" or even "I am a first paragraph". It reads like you plucked a paragraph out of a middle of a scene and decided to make it the beginning of your story. It doesn't catch my attention, and if I wasn't reading this for request, I would probably actually stop here and go on to the next piece.

However, I am reading for request, so with the lack of a hook in mind, let's continue.

This sounds like the girl is a plot device, or worse, a symbol. Because she's saying this so openly and not implying anything, it's definitely coming across that she only exists to help Rafiq's understanding of the story.

Actually, the dialogue in this story is really stilted and unnatural—and not just from Syaz. None of this really sounds like something that people would say, and that's one of the quickest way to lose a reader is to push your dialogue—and by extent your characterization—into the Uncanny Valley, where your characters aren't quite human and don't react or speak the way humans do. People don't talk in full sentences and perfect grammar all the time.

The stilted dialogue carries over into Rafiq's narration. Is this really how a person talks? Would you really refer to someone first as "the girl with the ponytail" and then with their name if you knew them? This actually reinforces the idea that the story starts in the middle of a scene, because there's nothing to imply that Rafiq knows Syaz at the beginning, but they do know each other? Your job is not to confuse your reader in the attempt to gain "symbolism".

In addition, it seems that English is not your native language—so I'd definitely recommend a native English speaker as a proofreader, just to catch some of the spellings and the idioms that you may not fully understand, such as "The tables were turned". It's definitely something that might help with English-language readers, because again, these idioms are something they know (much like how people react), and they're less likely to keep reading or to read something else by you.

As far as characters go, I have no connection to the characters at all. I don't care when Syaz reveals Rafiq's secret, and the closest I get to emotion is when Rafiq, at the end, is weak in his denial. Part of this, I think, is due to the stilted dialogue and as result stilted characterization—I definitely encourage you to think about what people are saying versus what they mean, because someone who holds a secret is more likely to say things like "I know something about you" than "I know a secret and this person definitely did not tell me".

In any case, I think with a fair amount of editing this could be fine. Keep writing!

Lightsong says...

Thanks for the in-depth review. It reminds me I'm lacking so much. :D

Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:43 am
TriSARAHtops wrote a review...

Hi Labrador! Here to review as requested. :)

I think you handled the suspense of this story pretty well at the start of this story. Syaz's taunting of Rafiq was quite effectively done, without going overboard. I think the reveal of Rafiq's secret was timed very well - you left the reader hanging long enough for them to wonder what Syaz was talking about, but not so long that it felt dragged out or long-winded. It's a difficult balance to make, and I think you did it well, so I'll commend you on that.

There was a lot of vagueness in this story. I noticed that throughout you generally referred to Syaz as 'the girl', and rarely named the other students, who, from my understanding, Rafiq has known for a long time. I'm not sure whether this was a conscious choice that you made to add mystery, however, I feel like it made the story feel a bit too detached. There's no reason to obscure Syaz's identity, and the use of 'the girl' and consistent pronouns rather than her name made it feel as though she was a stranger to Rafiq, ditto with the other characters. You seem to use Syaz's name more in the second half of the story, which then made her feel more 'real' than the others. I guess that's an area to keep an eye out for, because I feel like it created a sense of distance, which prevented me really connecting with the characters.

Something I noticed was that the formality of the language was a little inconsistent. I thought the writing style was generally strong, however, there was a lack of cohesiveness. Some sentences were very casual and sounded very much like thoughts, and the way a person would likely speak, and then there were others that were much more formal. It's not necessarily a case of one being better than the other, but if you're looking to rewrite this, that's probably an area worth looking at. Some of the dialogue felt a little bit stiff too, and used words that felt a bit unnatural for the characters to use in general conversation.

I think you showed some really good signs of character development. Syaz was a really interesting antagonist, and Ian seemed like a pretty cool character. I think that, for Syaz in particular, you could make the character development feel even stronger by having a think about character motivations. Why does Syaz want to reveal that Hafiq is gay to his friends? It was currently unclear, which did stand out, and I think if you were able to give a few hints about what is driving her, that would make her feel like a more rounded character.

Whilst I was fairly impressed by the pacing at the beginning of the piece, I did think that it was a little rushed at the end. Syaz's revelation kind of went at a mile-a-minute pace, and I think if you just slowed it down a little, let Syaz delight in it, let the other characters have a reaction, I think it would be a lot more effective.

That's about all. I feel like this was a good start, and while it needs some work, the foundations are definitely there. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

Lightsong says...

I think I understand the first part of it. If my protagonist knows a character, it's better for him to name the character instead of referring her to a certain gender, etc., right? I guess I was trying to take it slow, you know, by not giving all the names of the characters at the first place. I agree with you, however.

I also agree with the formality of the language. I think it is my habit that when it comes to the protagonist having a deep thought, his thought process would be more formal than usual. He tries to think logically, therefore being more formal, about an important matter. He tries to be more objective too. About the dialogues, I agree.

Well, about Syaz, there is really no strong motivation behind her actions. I thought I had made it clear that she wanted entertainment from Rafiq to ease her boredom. She was just that kind of person who liked to torture people mentally or physically, and sadistic and shallow that way.

The pacing was a little rushed at the end, I agree. It was because the 2000-words limit I had (this entry was supposed for a competition, but eh, something happened). I did think about expanding the last part a little, but at the time I finished editing this, I was too lazy. XD

About your last paragraph, what did you mean with "a good start"? :p

TriSARAHtops says...

You're welcome. :) Ah, yes, word limits. Fair enough XD.

And, yes that's what I meant about naming the character. It's just a little thing but it does affect how the reader perceives things.

What you just mentioned are just fine motivations for Syaz. They don't have to be anything grandiose, just so long as you know why the character is doing what they're doing. :)

By 'good start' I pretty much just mean that it's good, but there still needs to be work done. :)

Lightsong says...

Ah, I see. Thanks. :)

Duncan wrote a review...

Wow! I would never expect the story would end like this. You did a wonderful job of surprising people with your plot.

Sorry if the following doesn't help much...

You managed to describe Syaz's appearance quite well and I just want to compliment you on it.

“If you are right, you must heard it it from someone,” I said. “Who’s that someone?” ... Enough of that. “Tell me who was it now, or I’ll swear you’ll never see your best friend again.”

This part is well written but somehow I feel it doesn't contribute much to the plot. I think you wanted to contrast the confidence of Rafiq in this part with his defeat in the end, but you could have make it shorter to make it more to the point. Also, in this part the character of Syaz is somehow weakened, because throughout the story except this part, Syaz remained mean and hurtful.

Actually you developed and described your characters quite well, including Rafiq's and Ian's through their dialogues and actions. In general this is a wonderful story with surprising plot twists. Sorry if it doesn't really help much, but you did a really good job! Keep it up! :)

Lightsong says...

Eh, every review helps. Thanks for yours. ;)

bellathebookworm wrote a review...

This is beautiful, so much so that I'm almost afraid to make edits. I will try my best to pick apart your lovely writing.

I'm going to skip over spelling and grammar. There are some mistakes, but they're a simple fix. If grammar is one of your weaknesses, then I would be happy to help, but you should be fine with a quick check if not.

The first paragraph is choppy, and the beginning does not draw the reader in as well as it could. I would just cut it and start from the second paragraph. Secrets always catch people's attention.

"This... I did not tell anyone about this. Not even to the four friends I had mentioned."

Again, choppy, especially the four friends part. I think something closer to this would sound better: This... I didn't tell anyone about it, not even my closest friends.

I didn't even realize your character was a boy until you said he was gay which could be an issue. I understand that in your head, it's Crystal clear, but to the reader it is uncertain. It's a simple fix: just have the girl say "I know your secret (boy's name)" so that it is clear.

I absolutely love this piece, and I can't wait to read the rest of your work! Happy review day and keep writing!

-ClippedWings

Lightsong says...

Yesss! A review at last! XD Thanks, ClippedWings. I agree with everything you've posted. :p

ClippedWings says...

Go blue!

Lightsong says...

Haha, yeah. Oh, grammar is my weakness, anyway. ;)

Burrow says...

wow man, wow, that was amazing, I think you touched me, I really appreciate you showing me this, thankyou very much.

Lightsong says...

I didn't know it would give that much of an impact. You're welcome. Thanks for reading it anyway. :)

I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
— Chandler Bing