An Aphorism

by looseleaf

Just a reflection-thing from English class.

The definition of "aphorism" is "a pithy observation that contains a general truth, such as, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'." With the help of a friend, I created one.

All inhabitants of the world try to make it a better place, but everyone has different views and no one wants to contribute to someone else's.

There are some kind people who step in to help other's with their dream, for no cost or personal gain. These people are the backbone of our society, pushing other people to do well and help the world without thinking about themselves. We need more of these people. That's why my friend and I have promised, during the month of February 2020, to help others. He's going to tutor his younger siblings. I'm going to hep those I see struggling, math and science wise.

We, also, need to help ourselves as well as others. We aren't suppose to neglect our own dreams and only help other people, although it seems like I am saying that. Work hard at your dreams and goals, make them come true, but take some time to help others. They may just help you someday.

PlainandSimple wrote a review...

Hello! Here to review!

Literally preach! Life is a struggle as it is. There are so many things that people are struggling with that no one even knows. Some people go with divorces, depression, mental illnesses, drug-addicted friends or family, death, and addictions of there own. When people help others out it can make everyone's life 100x better. Same with dreams. When someone has a dream and can't achieve it, it can ruin there life.

So your goal to help those out is really great. I mean it's small but what else can you do! Anything helps. So great job on trying to make a difference, that takes balls (guts, whatever, same thing :) ).

I will be reading more of your work!

amazing job!

_From your friend
@PlainandSimple

looseleaf says...

Thanks for the review! I appreciate it!

Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:15 am
Venerator wrote a review...

This is a great message to spread around. I'm happy you decided to explain the definition of aphorism, it helps to set up the overall theme here. I like the examples and real struggle there is when helping people that you've put in too. I believe it's conflicting for some people to help others and deny themselves time and enjoyment, yet real pleasure is found within them when they do help people. It's the lack of fulfillment and benefits some people struggle to look over when helping others. Yes, satisfaction is a concept known to every person in the world, yet many don't know where to find it in others due to past experiences or are desensitized to the struggles of others these days.

And many strive to find it for themselves. It's hard to find footing and time to treat others when problems appear at every corner of the way, testing people's will to act upon others in need of help. I think that's a problem not sufficiently addressed much, the lack of willpower and satisfaction in their own lives factor in why they don't help others.

Another thing I liked was the "help ourselves as well as others." Adds to my point above. I think people need to heal and learn to love themselves first before they can properly love others. One way to do that is if somebody can help them so that the cycles can begin and even more people are welcomed and get help.

Overall, I agree with this, and it's nice to see people address this more often today.

looseleaf says...

Thank you for the review! I appreciate it!

Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:42 pm
deleted9 says...

I think it's a beautiful thing to help others achieve their dreams and help them realize their potential. It gives one a sense of accomplishment and healthy self satisfaction. I feel that first, we must concentrate on our goals and our successes and then be there for others. Help people but not above your own interests, where you then fail to achieve your own dreams. Be selfish but not too selfish.

Beautifully written and very enlightening!

Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:42 pm
deleted9 says...

Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:41 pm
deleted9 wrote a review...

looseleaf says...

Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:10 am
BEWriter wrote a review...

I like how you included the definition of "aphorism" in the beginning, I think it added a lot. I like how you mentioned that we need to help ourselves. I feel like you can elaborate more on that, because it really it an important point to make. Also, at the end you said "they may just help you someday." This seems to contradict what you were saying throughout the writing. It appeared that you felt like helping other people would make the world a better place, and you truly wanted to focus on serving others. Although the last sentence seemed to make the piece seem a little more self-centered.

looseleaf says...

Poetry comes alive to me through recitation.
— Natalie Merchant