z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Is there faithful friend in life?

by LOLACONER


Come,let's reason with a spoken-sound....

For those claiming of being best friend,

Can be a barrier to higher ground,

Is there faithful friend in Life?

Those going in and out with you...

Can be your fall-wisher,

Those counseling you on decision.....

Can cancel your successful vision,

Is there faithful friend in Life?

Those eating with you on the same-table....

Can poison you,

Those who celebrate with you daily....

Can control you negatively,

Is there faithful friend in Life?

Why do you expose your secrets.....

To those who appear to be,

Through friend you select to trust,

They can never help you on success-ladder.....

Be careful with them on the climbing-steps,

For your down-fall....which is not your aim....

Is there faithful friend in Life?

Pretending to be what they're not.....

Looking lively and real,

Be careful before you choose who to work with,

Is there a faithful friend in Life?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144125
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:14 am
alliyah wrote a review...



Hey there! Here to review! Doing some last minute RevMo Reviews.

So first a quick comment on ellipses (...) in poetry you are free to use punctuation however you see fit as the "rules of grammar" are more suggestions / guidelines than fences, and sometimes it's more meaningful to break down conventions than to keep them, but typically when using ellipses - it is made of three dots rather whereas in your poem you kind of just added several and changed up the number in a few places. Also an ellipses is generally used to mark hesitation, dramatic pause, a trailing thought, or can be used as like a "fill in the blank" pause. In your poem you seemed to be using them for subject breaks rather than any of the ordinary usages. The problem with ellipses is unlike a question mark which is pretty consistent on it's meaning - an ellipses has so many different ones that it's unclear for a reader which to take often, and then just breaks up the poem awkwardly. I'd strongly discourage using them in poems unless there is a specific reason you are. But I'm biased against them, so take it with a grain of salt.

As far as your poem's meaning, it appears that the poem is about a person who is really carefully considering the theme of friendship. It was a tad confusing to follow their exact string of logic, but I believe they were saying, "hey don't be so gullible in who you trust as you friend! You don't want someone to poison you right? It's really tricky to discern who will be faithful to you in friendship forever." Now that's a pretty unique theme that I haven't seen a poem based on before, nice!

In some ways the repeated questioning form reminded me of a Platonic dialogue. In fact, Plato I think even had some dialogues or writings on friendship so that really fits pretty well. The rhetorical questions were a bit hard to understand in this format though, and I actually wonder if this poem would be better written in prose or parable form. I think the point of discerning friendship would be greatly improved by giving an example or two of the situations discussed, so a prose-revision may just be the way to go.

As a poem, I think you did a nice job bringing some specificity to this philosophical discussion - with the poisoning example etc. People tend not to like to read long strings of internal dialogue in poetry if it's not rooted in description or outward action, because it begins to feel a bit boring unless the emotions being discussed are particularally interesting or connected to some implied narrative. You might want to think about how you can introduce more action into the poem as it is, or at least more poetic devices like metaphor.

Your formatting as far as line breaks seemed pretty polished, and I didn't mind your capitalization of a few unconventional words to sort of highlight their importance, that's definitely fitting in this sort of philsophical-genre poetry too.

Overall, I think there are some improvements that could be made, but you've got a solid theme to work with here.

all the best,

alliyah




User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:44 am
Shady wrote a review...



Heya LOLACONER,

Shady here with a review for your poem tonight! Let's get started...

Those counseling you on decision.....

Can cancel your successful vision,


I really like these lines! It's definitely a good warning towards being careful on who you choose to allow to be part of your counsel when you're making tough choices, and the importance of surrounding yourself with good friends!

Overall, I really liked the themes of this poem! It felt real and raw and didn't pull any punches in getting to the heart of the matter. I always like poems that make me think as well as feel, and this definitely did that!

My biggest suggestion for you would mostly be in the mechanics of how you present this poem. For example, you have a lot of punctuation in this poem -- which is great! Punctuation can really enhance the poignancy of a poem! However, this kind of felt a bit overused in this particular poem -- to the point that it more distracted me from the poem rather than enhancing it and making me pause and reflect.

Also, you used some nice repetition with the "Is there a faithful friend in Life?" which I think is a really nice line! But right now it all kind of blends together since it's one big block of text. I think breaking this up into stanzas, maybe with that one being in the middle of two stanzas might work really well to make the repetition stand out more.

For an example of what I mean, maybe you could break it up something like:

Those going in and out with you...
Can be your fall-wisher,
Those counseling you on decision.....
Can cancel your successful vision,

Is there faithful friend in Life?

Those eating with you on the same-table....
Can poison you,
Those who celebrate with you daily....
Can control you negatively,

Is there faithful friend in Life?

Why do you expose your secrets.....


You see what I mean? Almost like you're using that line as a refrain, to signify where one stanza ends and the next begins.

Overall, though, like I said, I really liked this poem! You did a nice job with it, and it was enjoyable to read and critique!

Keep writing and Happy RevMo!

~Shady 8)


Please enjoy this banner by @HarryHardy!

Image




User avatar
590 Reviews


Points: 1234
Reviews: 590

Donate
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:12 pm
Mageheart wrote a review...



Hi there, LOLACONER! I'm here to review your poem. :)

From my first read-through, it looks like your poem is about doubt and friendship - a combination of topics I don't usually see on YWS. I hope that it's not based in personal experience; I know how hard it can be to try finding just the right group of friends.

But I do really love the message of this poem, even though I'm an optimistic person and it's a pessimistic take on friendship. I think it's because you do such a good job instilling doubt in the reader. There's something about the repeated line at the end of every example that makes it click. The rhyming also does wonders for your poem!

My strongest critique would be to play around with your formatting. This is mostly personal preference, but I noticed that your poem only consists of one large stanza. Since your poem relies on a repeated phrase, you can try separating the lines after the phrase.

For example, the beginning of your poem might look like this:

Come,let's reason with a spoken-sound....
For those claiming of being best friend,
Can be a barrier to higher ground,
Is there faithful friend in Life?

Those going in and out with you...
Can be your fall-wisher,
Those counseling you on decision.....
Can cancel your successful vision,
Is there faithful friend in Life?


Multiple, smaller stanzas can help break down the images you're trying to depict into easier-to-digest chunks for the reader. And it's not too hard to do the formatting I did, either! All you have to do is hit "shift + enter" when you're starting a new line in a poem in the Publishing Center. Then there won't be a space between the lines. You can use the regular line break that shows up - the space - to signal the start of a brand new stanza.

I hope my review helps! Let me know if you have any questions about it. :)

Image




LOLACONER says...


Thanks,your review is really helpful!



LOLACONER says...


Thanks,your review is really helpful!




It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them.
— Mark Twain