Her Star Story

by Ktg17

Hi everyone! If you're reading this, it means that you clicked on my story and are about to read it. Thank you! This is just a story that a friend and I worked on during free time. I just kind of want to see what people think of the idea more than anything else. I'm not very good with grammar, so I apologize in advance. I don't like the beginning: any ideas on how to fix it up? Also, I know I rush through the story a little too fast, so if you could give me some advice on how to slow it down, I would be very appreciative. Thanks so much and I hope you enjoy!

Sitting out on a lawn chair, gazing up at the stars, with the love of her life right next to her. This was right where Sarah wanted to be. Ryan was telling her about the stars in the sky and their stories; something she’d never heard of before. Or maybe she’d heard of them, but never seen them. One of the disadvantages of growing up in a big city.

“Sarah,” he spoke her name softly and delicately, like it was sacred. She loved it.

“Yes?” she smiled at him.

“Do you see those stars right up there? The 3 that are in a line?”

She looked up and nodded her head.

“That’s Orion’s belt. You see, Orion was a mighty and powerful hunter. But he made one deadly mistake: he boasted that he would eventually rid the earth of all creatures. The Earth Goddess was very angry when she heard him say this, so she sent a scorpion out to kill Orion. Orion challenged the scorpion to a duel and eventually beat him, but not before he was poisoned. Now Orion and the scorpion are on different sides of the sky, so one can rule when the other is not.”

“Wow,” Sarah said in awe. “It’s amazing that you know all of this.”

Ryan smiled. “My father used to tell me these stories when I was a little boy. They fascinated me then, and they fascinate me now.”

Sarah reached over and took his hand. This was the man she loved, and she loved everything about him; the way the moonlight shined on his dark hair, his green eyes when they were looking into hers, his perfect white smile that made her heart leap. This was the man she wanted to spend the rest of her life with. She was sure of it. But did he feel the same way about her?

A mischievous grin spread across his face. “Do you see that bright star directly above your head that is next to the really big one?”

Once again, Sarah looked up to find the stars. One of the stars seemed to be right above her head, dancing and twinkling in the night sky. “Yes,” she answered. “What’s the story of that one?”

Ryan’s smile grew. “Well, that’s the story of Sarah Elizabeth Parker.”

Sarah furrowed her brow in confusion. “Me?”

“Yes.” Ryan replied. “Sarah was a beautiful woman with many talents. She could sing, she could dance, she was athletic, and she was an amazing artist. She grew up in New York City, but moved to a small town in Michigan where she could pursue her art career in peace. When she first came to our small city, everyone was awestruck with her beauty. Many men pursued her and tried to charm her, but only one prevailed: Ryan Trescott, a carpenter. I think she chose him because of his handsome looks and wittiness.”

Sarah laughed. Where is he going with this? She wondered.

Ryan continued his story. “Well, Sarah and Ryan got to know each other really well. Ryan loved her with all his heart. He needed to ask her something, something very important. Something that could change the rest of their lives, forever.”

Ryan looked over at Sarah, and Sarah noticed that he looked a little nervous. But his big smile was plastered on his face as he got down on one knee, pulled a little black box with a diamond ring inside out of his jacket pocket, and said the words that Sarah had been waiting to hear her whole entire life:

“Sarah Elizabeth Parker, will you marry me?”

Sarah felt the tears of joy pouring out of her soul as she nodded her head up and down. Ryan jumped up off the ground and kissed her. He slid the ring onto her finger, and Sarah let out a little laugh.

“Well,” she said, “Now you’re going to have to change your story for that star.”

Ryan looked at her in confusion. “What do you mean?”

“It’s no longer the story of me, Sarah Elizabeth Parker. It’s the story of us.”

Ryan laughed too. “You’re right. It’s the story of us.”

He kissed her again, and she felt happier than she ever had before. This was right where she wanted to be.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

50 years later, the couple sat out on the front porch of their home, staring up into the night sky. Even though time had tested their love, it had stayed strong. They had grown old together; just the way they wanted it to be. Sarah laid her head on Ryan’s shoulder as she listened to him talk about the stars. Her favorite story she had heard a million times, but it never got old. It was the story of her, it was the story of him, and it was the story of them. It was their star story, forever.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:10 am
Piper wrote a review...

I thought this was adorable. I loved it, and if you don't like her, please don't be mad, but it sounds like a Taylor swift song. I honestly can't think of any critique that the people above me didn't cover already. The only thing was, I would kind of like to know what Sarah looks like. Maybe Ryan could include it in his speech or something? I don't know, just my opinion. Just write on.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:29 pm
Ktg17 says...

Thanks so much for the reviews everyone! Glad you all enjoyed it for the most part. I'll try to fix it up and make some changes. Thank you all!

Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:46 am
Amfliflier wrote a review...

That was really cute! I don't know if cute is what you were really going for, but it was! It was a little predictable though. And you made it seem like they were in high school. You asked if we liked the idea, and I loved it! Awesome job! :)

Jalmoc wrote a review...

Bonjour! J'ai m'appelle Jalmoc, enchante'. This was a very good pice of romance if I do say so myself. Honestly, I don't really think that you need ro slow it down, it's seems like it's going at an even pace. It might be cliche, but the most romantic setting I believe is under the stars, so ten points for that! :D Lol. A couple ofquestions I have, why were they outside? How old are they? Were they on a date or just enjoying time together?

But overall, I loved it! Please keep om writing!

theotherone wrote a review...

Hello there. :)

So you want to slow down, right? Well I don't think you have to slow down that much, since this is a short story. And if it's too long, not many people will be willing to read it. I've got a few things I think you should elaborate on.

They are outside, looking at the stars, but why? Just for fun? Do they do that often? How did they end up there? It was a beautiful night and Ryan pulled her outside, wanting to go watch the stars? Add some information.

And then there's Ryan. How did they met? Did she fell in love with him quickly, or was she skeptical when he asked her out for the first time? How much time had past?
Just bits of information you could add so it brings down the pace a little bit.

The star with her story is pretty random, but I have to say that it is cute. :) And I have to say that it's pretty cliche, but it's still good. To be honest, which love story isn't cliche? ;)

Keep up the good work! Unfortunately I don't have any nitpicks for you. Either I didn't really look, or you just didn't have some.

-Other One

Make sure you marry someone who laughs at the same things you do.
— Holden Caulfield