The Seekers: Chapter 1 ~Kinsley~

by Kinsley

Something will probably be added so it's not quite as confusing in the begining. Don't worry, all will be explained in later chapters that have yet to be posted. Oh and when it has a name at the begining that means who is telling the story. Please tell me what you think of it. Here goes...

Adam

I give Logan a friendly slap on the back as we enter the school building. He gives me a smile and we head to our lockers that are next to each other. He leans his head over to mine and whispers in my ear.

“Did you know that we have a substitute teacher today? I think something bad happened to Mr. Hicks. I heard some of the other teachers talking about it when I went to get my science project out of the refrigerator in the teacher’s lounge yesterday. I think he was in a car accident. Have you heard anything?”

“No, I haven’t heard a thing.” I spot Addie on her way to her locker and I give her a quick wave. She sees me and walks over.

“Your substitute history teacher wants to talk to you after class, Adam,” she whispers and continues walking to her locker. What is she talking about? The bell rings and Logan and I make our way to history. I nearly drop my books as I enter the classroom. Genevieve is standing at the front of the room writing her name on the white board. What is Genevieve, or should I say Ms. Sheridan, doing here? I give her a questioning look. Genevieve acknowledges my presence with a nod. I decide to go along with whatever she has planned so I take my seat in the second row next to Logan. He leans over, his eyes never leaving Genevieve.

“Our substitute teacher is HOT!” he whispers excitedly. I almost choke on my gum at his words and I cough discretely into my hand. It’s a good thing he doesn’t know that Genevieve knows his thoughts. Imagine what Genevieve must be thinking!

“Gen-I mean, Ms. Sheridan? Um...” I search my brain for something to say to him.

“Yea, isn’t she great?” he says with a dreamy look on his face.

“Uh, sure but don’t you have some homework that you should be working on since you ‘forgot’ to do it last night?” I say, trying to change the subject. His eyes go wide and he scrambles for his papers. I snigger and shake my head then turn my attention to Genevieve. Surprisingly, the class continues with ease. Genevieve has the class captivated. With the exception of one student, of course. Mike seems to have made it his job to pick on Logan. Mike leans over and whispers something in his ear. Logan’s jaw slides to right and his eyes go cold. I put a hand on his shoulder.

“Come on, Logan, Mike’s a jerk. Don’t listen to him,” I say. Mike flashes Logan a superior smile.

“Back off, Mike,” Logan threatens. I glance down and my eyes widen when I see what’s happening. The book Logan has his hand on is freezing! The glossy cover has frosted over into a thick ice. Genevieve asks me what is going on with her eyes but her questions barely register. I lean in front of Logan and casually place my arm over his book. I plaster a big, fake smile on my face with forced enthusiasm.

“Look, Mike, I would love to stay and chat but Logan and I have the matter of our homework that we need to attend to,” I drawl. I draw the book away concealing it with my arm. I scream with my thoughts for Genevieve to do something. Hopefully no one saw Logan’s book freeze. Does he have the power to manipulate the elements too? I don’t get the chance to continue my train of thought. Luckily the bell rings and everyone leaves, including Mike. Logan scowls at him as he follows Mike out the door. I linger at my desk and wait for the room to empty. When it is, I walk over to Genevieve. She smiles in a greeting. Before I can ask, she answers the question forming on my lips.

“I’m here to tell you that Mr. Hick’s car crash was no accident. I think The Unity is behind it. You and Addie need to be careful. There is a mission tonight. I’m told that the Goddess will be there. Bring Addie and Elizabeth with you to my chambers after school. You also need to speak with Logan. His powers are starting to develop. I don’t think he is aware of them yet but you don’t have much time before he starts noticing what he can do,” she says.

“Do you even know what his powers are? I think he can manipulate the elements. Did you see his book freeze over?”

“I don’t, and yes, I did see his book freeze. I don’t think he has the same power as you though but his powers still remain unclear even to Merian. Go slow, Adam, you don’t want to scare your apprentice by going too fast. You might want to start by asking him if he has noticed anything strange going on lately,” she explains then dismisses me with a wave of her delicate hand.

The rest of the day drags on and I want to be anywhere else but in class. When I told Addie and Elizabeth about the meeting it only filled me with anticipation. I am relieved when the final bell rings. I exit the classroom and grab my school bag from my locker. I spot Elizabeth a couple yards ahead of me and I run to catch up to her.

“Hey, Elizabeth. Are you going straight to Genevieve’s chambers? I’ll walk with you if you are,” I say.

“Yea. I was going to ask Addie if she wanted to walk with me but she must have already left. Thanks for the company,” she replies. We walk in silence for most of the way and just take in the beautiful scenery. Genevieve’s chamber is located in one of the biggest tourist spots in North America. A lot of people visit it but the actual mountain itself is off limits. We walk up the mountain and pause at the waterfall. It opens and the rock wall behind it disappears. We step inside and take a seat on the stools provided. Genevieve gives an acknowledging nod as we enter.

“Good afternoon, how was school?” she asks with a smile.

I give a shrug. “It was okay. History was...interesting,” I say. Genevieve laughs and throws her head back.

“I must admit, it was pretty fun. I suspected foul play was behind Mr. Hick’s car crash so I came to warn you that The Unity might try to pull something while you are at school,” she says.

“I didn’t know you were able to substitute teach,” Addie says.

“Actually, a very long time ago, before I was in the Sentinel, I was a teacher at your school. I loved it and a lot of the other teachers said I had a gift for handling students. They never misbehaved in my classroom. Then when I became a Sentinel member I had less time for work so I switched to a part-time job as a substitute,” she waves a hand wistfully, “but that was sixty years ago. So I had Aubry fix up the computer system at the school to list me as an available substitute. Now back to the main point, there is a mission tonight in England in 1981. I believe another assassination attempt will be made on Prince Charles of Wales’ life. He is about thirty years old now. Since you stopped The Unity the first time they are trying again. I’m afraid this time it will be much more dangerous,” she says.

“They must really want him dead,” Addie interrupts.

“Or one of his decedents,” I add. Genevieve flicks a look at Elizabeth but it is so fast no one perceives it.

“You see,” Genevieve continues, “there will be two members of The Unity there. One of them is the actual assassin and the other is...the Goddess,” Addie and Elizabeth gasp at the same time and Addie’s hand flies to her mouth. We sit in a stunned silence for a moment.

“So who is going?” I pipe up. Genevieve hesitates then tries to reassure me.

“Who ever goes will be able to stop her, Adam. Don’t worry,” she forces a smile and sits.

“Who is going?” I ask again. Genevieve takes a deep breath before answering.

“Elizabeth.” It’s only one word but it’s enough to enrage me. I can feel my face growing hot.

“Elizabeth? Why her? She can’t face the Goddess alone, not to mention an assassin!” I practically yell. Addie scoffs at this. Elizabeth looks offended but I know she knows she can’t fight Eris by herself.

“It’s nice to see that you have so much faith in her,” Genevieve mutters.

“Look, I just don’t want anyone to get hurt,” I say in an attempt to soften my tone.

“I’m not changing my decision, Adam and that’s final.” With that she walks off and dismisses us with a wave of her hand. When the rock wall disappears and the waterfall splits it’s our cue to leave. Elizabeth’s face looks ashen and I can’t help but notice how nervous she has become. Addie takes Elizabeth’s elbow and tries to lead her out the door but Elizabeth just stands there gazing at the floor. Addie raises her eyebrows and looks at me expectantly. I nod and she leaves but I am not about to do the same. I glance at Elizabeth who is biting her lip. I guess drastic times call for drastic measures.

Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:00 am
Swires says...

You will get more feedback if you put spaces in between your paragraphs.

I send you buckets full of stars, the prettiest rainbow I've ever seen and a really adorable unicorn
— Zenith