Society Only By Name- Part Three: The Pop-Culturalists

by KingQueenKnave

31) Somebody once stated that, "Good artists copy; great artists steal". However, if this really was the case, then why are the pop-culturalists- the most toxic of plagiarists- the worst sorts of artists and the worst of the socially accepted among us? Their mannerisms are plagued by inserting references to current events and current products, though more often than not popular films, television programs, books and music. I might add that these things will become obsolete and forgotten a year from conception. This is why they are socially accepted.

32) They prey on the works of others like vultures, destroying them, sucking the original joy out of the works. They do this through reinvention- unwanted, unneeded reinvention. Do not interpret that comment as reflecting a conservative attitude- I am far from conservatism- because I do not strictly uphold the idea of keeping ideals, even the boring and wasteful ones (especially the boring and wasteful ones). However, to change through the act of bastardization the source material, having Romeo & Juliet text message each other, or having Napoleon in Animal Farm take a "selfie", or forcing a duet between two historically opposed figures such as Joseph Stalin and Adolf Hitler, is not a process I support. This is not post-modernism, a movement I support. This is intellectual tourism.

33) Why are the pop-culturalists so popular to the citizens of our pseudo-society? Why are they entertained by the ruling darlings? Why do they make others laugh? Why do they inspire new movements? You may ask those questions, and I ask them all too often in my own private time! Well, for a start, they don't actually do anything; they recycle what is already there- not an issue, I might add- in a new way that reflects, in fact, an absence of creativity. Imagine viewing Picasso's famous painting Guernica drawn by a child. Imagine listening to Shostakovich's Waltz No. 2 remixed to conform to the wishes of corporate music labels, distributing their over-produced horseshit. Imagine reading Lolita where the characters interact through Amazon reviews. The pop-culturalists are popular because they re-enforce what already is pop-culture. They force this all beneath the skin of works segregated from these references.

34) At the least the dregs and the darlings attempt to come up with (somewhat) original achievements and witty observations, even if it isn't to my taste, because they put their own minds into it. The pop-culturalists have virtually no ideas, but fragmented re-imaginings of pre-existing ideas that they will never fathom. They are the ones who should be the dregs, but no- pop culture goes hand in hand with the pop-culturalists, buttering up their source material when they never actually know anything about the true nature of it.

35) They usually unveil their monstrosities as the punchline to a joke with an excellent set-up, but with a terrible punchline. The punchline is usually where the pop-culture reference enters the fray. The problem with this method can be summed up in one word: tedious. It must be so boring to be a pop-culturalist, always scouting for any trend like an impoverished heroin addict looking for any fix, deciding it as if by their own accord. These social gnats are the ones who oust the darlings who no longer follow these trends, in which it is their responsibility afterwards.

36) Surprisingly, the pop-culturalists react the worst from a passing comment of a dreg- worse than the darling! Either references mentioned in social gatherings or posts on social media are not fully appreciated, or- more aptly- they are called out on their absence of originality. An absence of originality unveiled to rapturous, herd-like applause except for one black sheep. What does the pop-culturalist do in response? They only see black sheep, thus enacting an almost Plutocratic, borderline Stalinist or Maoist clear out of anything that breathes.

37) But why the aggression? Because the pop-culturalists have incredibly short lifespans, and thus have the most to lose, because they have the least in the beginning. A darling and a dreg will lose respect, but will not go down totally because it takes so much to totally destroy them. The ideas will keep them save. The pop-culturalist lacks this security blanket, and will only be ejected once their chosen trend dies, or popularity shifts so suddenly onto another fad that they cannot keep up with the pace.

38) But do not fear their show of strength, reader. They have the subtlety of a honey badger. They may seem impressive standing up to a lion, with a loud bark, but compared to the lion, they have a pathetic bite. Fear not their temper! Even with their status to decide trends, they are not the true masters of the pseudo-society. They have no spine to hit back, no territory of worth to defend- they only have ad hominem. Perhaps, in a moment of panic, another round of pop culture occurs to inaccurately label the situation at hand.

39) The pop-culturalists do not seek any pleasure from engaging in anything; they only seek what they wish to bastardize everything.

40) Overlap, as with any member of the pseudo-society, is possible. Darlings are often pop-culturalists, who- when threatened with extinction- actually employed their own ideas to save themselves, even destroying their contemporaries in the process. However, many darlings lack the bravery to tell others of their influences. Dregs of the crusader type are pop-culturalists, in the sense that they want to show us the "dangers" of varying ideas they know little about. Other darlings tend to only use pop-culture as a last ditch effort to regain their lost audience, because pop-culture only changes in content, and will only die when we all die. Something tells me that the only infinity is that of wanting to hold onto power.

41) Pop-culture itself is not a problem. I believe pop-culture in moderation is good for society and with engaging with others. Even if elements of it are emphasised in an excessive manner, I have no right to wish for its abolition. It was what others do to said-culture that is truly the most testing issue.

42) The pop-culturalist's humour is contrived beyond measure. Their methods are bogged down in witty observations and the ill-advised punchline I mentioned earlier. Additionally, this humour seems to please the easily-pleased, i.e. the comfort women who give fellatio to soldiers who never fight wars, like those who adore Che Guevara for equality when he achieved the opposite.

43) These re-assertions of what will only be known for a short time period gain laughter from the mouths of the hypnotised and the gullible. This is why the pop-culturalists love conformity and uniformity, because- like their audience- they kiss up to the darlings but kick down the others who disagree with them, such as any dreg. But worst of all, they hate the neutralists. The neutralists have the open mind. Perhaps more so, contrarians are the pop-culturalists' enemies.

44) In moderation, the pop-culturalists are inoffensive. Yet, the mass authority they currently possess prevents the pseudo-society from transitioning into an actual one. More so than any darling with bourgeois aspirations, they exploit the doings of others. 

Holysocks wrote a review...

Hello! How about a review? I haven't read previous parts so bare with me.

I admire you putting all your opinions out there- not a lot of people have the courage to do that.

First of all: What is this supposed to be? I'm honestly unsure. You seem offended by "pop-culture" as you call it, and yet you're not entirely clear on what you mean by "pop-culture". At first it seemed like you were talking about people that create fan-fictions, retellings, fan-art, memes, etc- but then it almost seemed like you were talking about the things that you'll often see on facebook like "Share if you love your sister" (which is honestly my favourite- warning: sarcasm).

This is not post-modernism, a movement I support. This is intellectual tourism.

Why do you think this is bad? If people are "easy to please", why not let them enjoy their "easy to please" lives in bliss...? Maybe explain why you think this is such a problem, because honestly this just felt like opinions to me.

These social gnats are the ones who oust the darlings who no longer follow these trends, in which it is their responsibility afterwards.

The way you write in this piece is very hard to follow. You don't write it in a way that helps the reader understand- which is generally the purpose of prose, to convey a thought in a way that other people can read and understand that thought! Ask yourself: Do people talk like this normally? If the answer is no, than a large portion of people will probably have a hard time following your piece. My advice to you: write how you talk. If you talk like what's in your piece normally, than write like how other people talk (and I'm not saying use incorrect grammar or anything). You can write in a "sophisticated" manner and still be understood. I'm not trying to be mean or rude by the way, and if I'm coming across that way I'm sorry!

They have no spine to hit back, no territory of worth to defend- they only have ad hominem.

You make it sound as if you're going to fight them- and I suppose you are if you're writing this. But you also make it seem like you're rallying the troops... which is fine, of course, but I don't see any of this as a problem, so it's kind of odd-sounding to me. Unless this whole work and all of these that you've written are about something completely different than what I think they are- why should I care? Make me care. Please. I want to understand what you're saying and I want to know why it's important.

I hope this was somewhat helpful! Keep it up!

-Socks

Mea wrote a review...

Hey. Back again. You may wonder why, considering that I haven't been very positive about the other parts, but to tell you the truth, I'm a bit strange and I find this sort of piece fascinating, even though I disagree with a lot of the worldview put forth here. I guess I'm the sort of person who just likes going and finding other people's viewpoints even if I know I won't agree with them. It's just such an interesting insight into other people's brains.

I think you're slipping here. This is the start of continued interjections on the narrator's part, and I think those weaken the narrative significantly. They distract from your message and take away from the scholarly detachment you were cultivating up until this point. Same with the addresses to the reader. Keep it impersonal.

You also have more sentences here that seem improperly constructed, grammatically unsound, or confusingly worded.

They only see black sheep, thus enacting an almost Plutocratic, borderline Stalinist or Maoist clear out of anything that breathes.

This is one of them - for this sentence to make sense, it should be "clear-out," and I still think it's badly worded. This is also one of those times where your reliance on referencing philosophical or societal movements diminishes the effect you were trying to create, rather than reinforcing it. This is because the average person will, again, only have a vague idea of what these philosophies entail, and even scholars fight over exactly what they include. Those are some of the words that seem like they should be specific, but every writer uses them slightly differently to further their own agenda, so in reality they mean almost nothing objectively.

The comment about the "comfort women" is, to put it bluntly, offensive. Not to mention that it doesn't even make sense that you're calling them "easily pleased." That half of the metaphor doesn't fit. Also, that paragraph as a whole doesn't seem relevant - why is the fact that their humour pleases the easily-pleased important? It seems a bit obvious.

The pop-culturalists do not seek any pleasure from engaging in anything; they only seek what they wish to bastardize everything.

This sentence also doesn't sound like any sentence from the English language. The second phrase is the problematic one. I'd tell you how to re-word it, but I'm not even sure what you're saying.

In general, I think you're overstating your point here about pop-culturalists, in a similar way to how I felt you were overstating your ideas about the dregs. I think that's sort of what you were going for, though.

And that's all I've got for this part. I'll be back soon, though!

i like that the title of dr jekyll and mr hyde makes a clear stance that the embodiment of one’s own evil doesn’t get a claim to the doctorate
— waywardxwallflower