Part of chap 1 of "Take Heart."

by Kilty

This is in second draft form. I just want to know if you are intrigued by the prologue. I want to know if it leaves you wanting to read more. Constructive critism wanted.

[pre]Long ago,there was a country called Swidhelm. Now forgotten, Swidhelm was a small country of stunning green hills, towering southern mountains, and to the north were rumbling shores of icy water. Swidhelm was not ruled by a monarch, but by a ruling family: the Dreng’s of Sutton. Bebeodan Dreng was the ruling man, and commander of Swidhelm’s army. His wife was Claennis, and together they had a child called Beornwyn, whom you will come to find more about as this story continues. Swidhelm’s people were peaceful, and never waged war of their own; but war would befall by means of a power hungry man. King Ginnar of Hraedhilegr was in quest of expanding his empire, and sent his armies to diminish Swidhelm down to the last child. This was folly on the part of King Ginnar, for the armies of Swidhelm were hardy, and well prepared. After weeks of seemingly endless battle, King Ginnar admitted defeat, and led his people out of Swidhelm and back to Hraedhilegr beyond the Northern shores, and the people of Swidhelm kept their freedom. The spirit of victory was strong amongst the Swidhelmians, but something unexpected did happen: on the ruins of battle, Bebeodan would find something quite out of the ordinary. A child lay there, no older than Bebeodan's own infant daughter Beornwyn, badly injured, with one leg missing. He was not from Swidhelm by his garb. Bebeodan knew this child would not last if left alone, and took him home, not knowing quite what to do. After all, it did seem the child was of the enemy’s kin, but only a child he was. It would not be just to leave the infant to die, so Bebeodan cast his cloak over the baby, and carried him home. Although Bebeodan at all costs was against this, Claennis took him as her own son. Bowden, she named him, and miraculously he recovered from his horrible injury, but was forever hindered by this disability. Seventeen years passed before any word of the Hraedhilegrians came to Swidhelm. Beornwyn and Bowden were now seventeen, and Claennis bore another son called Aodhèn, who was five at this time. A sudden night attack would change this phase of peace. Swidhelm’s armies knew naught of it, and thus were not amass. The men slept in their homes as the armies of Hraedhilegr came ashore. The Hraedhilegrians burned many houses to the ground, but were soon thwarted by snow. Winter was come, so the Hraedhilegrians left only to return with better arms; more dangerous arms, many that Swidhelm had never seen. Many men were destroyed that night, and already the armies of Swidhelm were damaged. Bebeodan ordered his armies to assemble, and be ready for the next attacks that were surely soon to come. As it turned out, King Ginnar of Hraedhilegr had died, and his equally power hungry son Arild had inherited the throne. Arild was determined to finish what his father had began, and was sending his full power across the sea, to take Swidhelm for his own. He knew now they lacked defense, and would be easy quarry. Attacks were breaking out everywhere, and Swidhelm’s men were already dwindling, which was a bad omen, as the final and worst of all wars were soon to come; the wars that would determine the fate of Swidhelm’s people.[/pre]

Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:39 pm
Lavvie wrote a review...

Anything with Irish/Gaelic/Welsh/Scottish names like that...I'm trapped. Adored this I must say :) I guess this appeals only to certain people :)

Lavvi

Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:47 am
Kilty says...

Thanks for the input. I think I'll choose to leave it in, as there is no where else it could be explained. The story becomes so fast paced, and goes more in depth with the cultures of the 3 countries that are involved. This is kind of the back story, so the reader understands how things came to be. But I really appreciate your opinion.

Rei wrote a review...

No, it wasn't too hard to read. But it didn't interest me. Only in very rare cases does it really work to start with a history lesson such as this. Sure, write it for yourself. It's very useful for the writer. As a reader, though, the history lesson doesn't mean much, and is usually pretty boring. Just get to the story and work in the needed history as it becomes relavent.

Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:01 am
Kilty says...

Sorry, I tried to indent the paragraphs with the "pre" button, but it didn't work, so bear with me. I hope it's not too hard to read without the indentations.

Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordy evidence of the fact.
— George Eliot