That Tuesday afternoon

by KennyUploads

That tuesday afternoon

When i see your tired eyes and then i take a good look at myself in the mirror and think “i've been the one thats stressed” it makes me feel guilty of feeling so. When i see you stressed to work harder for bigger things and then i notice the selfish action of me complaining about an algebra equation, i feel guilty of feeling so. 3 , 2 , 1 hour of sleep you get and still stress over time when i complain for only having 8 and when i realized my selfish act, i feel guilty of feeling so. When i see you stressed over a 35 in english and notice my selfish action of only having a 70, i feel guilty of feeling so. But that day, tuesday afternoon, i think that i have the right to feel as such and look at you and say im also working hard. That warm smile curved onto your face questions my guilt, i see the shadows on your face but my mind brings it to no thought. “Just another sorrow face” to me i thought.

But that tuesday afternoon, the day you least expect to not see someone. Usually someone is to too lazy for school on monday and just screws it. Or the last school day of the week is slow and you decided to leave early to treat yourself to some nice fast food as your going down the street forgetting all the sorrow faces you left back at the building. I take one, two , three steps to my physical ed class in the same hall, in the same routine. Although something was wrong, something blank, out of place, missing. Appsense of the person with a sorrow face. Looking around, nowhere to be found. Brushing off the fact that i don't have to sense the pity pain from the sorrow yet, but yet, happy and proud presentation he brought to me. I try not to mind the fact that he’s gone. I don’t want to. He only felt pity of himself and made other feel the same just to make himself proud enough to make himself suffer more… is what i thought. But up come the next tuesday afternoon of the new week. Slow warm summer day. Had i never even thought of all the possible ideas that had happen to the young fellow. To think such little of a person who tries so hard, why did i find it so annoying. Maybe i still do but if only i had any idea why he did try ever so hard. I would have never thought the boy with the sorrow face with a mask of proud and happiness w was up to liquid. Men in white as if already in heaven. He wastes his everlasting minutes thinking of his friend. His fake friend who only thought so lowly of him, as if he wanted attention or such. His sorrow face , still plastered with a warm curved mouth. Why does he feel the need to try so hard? He stresses but what about me. Stress is such a big thing when it comes to your last moments in reality. So to think pity of him. His only friend. Such a fake friend. Such a fake friend i was, such a fake friend i say, i say, why am i the one who is so ignorant. The last breaths were a sigh of gratefulness of the friendship. Of the fake friendship that he has ever asked for. He didn't ask for much. And i spat on it. To stress and act so selfish. Selfish i am. I realize on the tuesday afternoon.

There was a boy, with tired eyes. Faithful yet a sorrow heart. He stressed over everything. To be so selfish to stress over 8 hours of sleep and a 70 in english made me feel guilty of feeling so. But now the freedom of sorrow and the stressed shadows on his face are lifted and i once again walk the hall on a tuesday afternoon. Still looking for the boy with the sorrow face. Oh how guilty i say, oh how guilty of feeling so.

KatjaDawn wrote a review...

Hi there KennyUploads! Katja here to review your short story! Please feel free to diregard any and all comments or suggestions I make should you deem them to be unhelpful. That being said, let's get to the review!

First, we'll do suggestions:

The first and most noticeable issue is you tend to not capitalize "I" when it should be. Examples:

When i see your tired eyes and then i take

“i've been the one thats stressed”

also, "that's" is correct here.

Second, number should be spelled out in stories like this... examples:

3 , 2 , 1 hour of sleep
should be, "three, two, one hours of sleep" etc.

Minor issues, to say the least but lastly, There are several places you can separate your story into separate paragraphs to keep it neat and easy to read.

My opinion:

I love that your story really shows the empathy for others through the main character/narrator. They seems to feel guilt over their own stress when there is another student who has grades lower than theirs. Your story is short and gives a strong message of attempting to be empathetic for others, and not being "selfish" by worrying about one's own stress, though this makes me just want to say that there is always a happy medium, and the character should not feel quite so guilty over this. But it is sincere and that moves me, the reader.

I hope to read more of your work soon!

Keep writing,

-Katja

Wordzyy wrote a review...

It was a good read. I enjoyed the way take the from the start to the end, it was smooth. The theme was enjoyable and the sarcastic words used made me enjoy more.
These lines below cast a strong hold to read further, it stirred the eagerness:

"When i see you stressed to work harder for bigger things and then i notice the selfish action of me complaining about an algebra equation, i feel guilty of feeling so. 3 , 2 , 1 hour of sleep you get and still stress over time when i complain for only having 8 and when i realized my selfish act, i feel guilty of feeling so. When i see you stressed over a 35 in english and notice my selfish action of only having a 70, i feel guilty of feeling so.

It was a thorough job. The lines were poetic. You certainly have a unique way of narrating a story.

At the end, it was thoughtful of you in adding up these lines :

"There was a boy, with tired eyes. Faithful yet a sorrow heart. He stressed over everything. To be so selfish to stress over 8 hours of sleep and a 70 in english made me feel guilty of feeling so. But now the freedom of sorrow and the stressed shadows on his face are lifted and i once again walk the hall on a tuesday afternoon. Still looking for the boy with the sorrow face. Oh how guilty i say, oh how guilty of feeling so."

These words nailed the story, it laid the emphasis on the guilt and stress.
Overall, a good read. Enjoyed it, keep writing :)

Radrook wrote a review...

Thanks for sharing this story about a someone who feels guilty for feeling stressed and having good grades when another has worse grades. The general impression is that the speaker feels he or she treated the other person unjustly. She suddenly realized that his burden had been far greater than hers. That his tiredness had been far more severe. That she had been callous in the way she had treated him. Feels guilty that he suddenly left. Wishes that he or she had behaved differently.

What I like:

I like the sincerity of the speaker and how the anguish over this mistake is transmitted via the description of disturbing inner thoughts. The tone of regret is very strong. The anguish of not being able to fix things comes through loud and clear as does the self condemnation for not having shown compassion.

The story teaches us that behavior can never be taken back. We can try to patch up the damage or we can wish that we had behaved differently, But what has been done has been done and we must then live with it.

Suggestions:

Pass through Spellchecker
Appsense of
[Absence of]

Capitalization
Proper nouns
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proper_noun

tuesday afternoon,
[Tuesday afternoon,]

in english
[in English]

on monday
on Monday
--

Punctuation

He stresses but what about me.
[He stresses but what about me?]

as your going
[as you’re going ]

Thoughts don’t get double quotation marks.
Thoughts get single ones are are written in italics.

thats stressed
[that’s stressed]
-

Sentence

The following sentences are fragments:
https://study.com/academy/lesson/what-i ... -quiz.html

But that Tuesday afternoon, the day you least expect to not see someone.[What about it?]

Had i never even thought of all the possible ideas that had happen to the young fellow.

[had happened]

There was a boy, with tired eyes. Faithful yet a sorrow heart.
[There was a boy, with tired eyes, faithful, yet of sorrowed heart.]

and made other feel the same
[and made others feel the same]

Numbers are not used in story to indicate numbers.

3 , 2 , 1 hour of sleep
[Three, two, one our of sleep. . . .]

Word Economy

Word economy means using the minimum number of words. Wordiness can make sentences hard to read and understand.

Example: There are thirty-five words in the following sentence.

When i see your tired eyes and then i take a good look at myself in the mirror and think “i've been the one thats stressed” it makes me feel guilty of feeling so.

[When i see your tired eyes and look at myself in the mirror, I feel guilty for feeling as if I were the one stressed.] Ten words less and same meaning.

Paying attention to such things will improve the composition. Nevertheless I enjoyed reading it for its psychological insights and introspectiveness and look forward to reading more of your work.

grammar is hard and i dislike it immensely
— Icon