z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Inner Beauty - Chapter 1.2

by RubyRed


"Rise and shine, Princess Rachael. Your ball is today. I wouldn’t want to deprive you of your beauty sleep, but it's already half past twelve and you have much to do," Laurie said opening the curtains in Rachael's room.

"Already?" she yawned, "I didn't finish my dream."

"Time waits for no man—or woman."

"Well, we best not keep mother waiting. She'll be worried I've come down with something."

"Right, miss. I'll get you dressed now."

While Laurie laced Rachael's corset, Rachael wondered who her mother was going to invite to this special occasion. They hadn't had one in such a long time. Maybe it was what she needed after all—some change.

Will I really meet my future husband at this ball? It seems like a dream—something that would happen in a fairy tale. I guess I'll have to find out. No one can see the future, but I fear my marriage isn't far off. Oh, how I wish I didn't have to leave mother. We need change desperately but not this kind. She'll be so heart-broken when we can't spend time together anymore or maybe I'll be heart-broken. I'm afraid the decision won't be mine to make in the end.

All this was running through Rachael's mind like a hurricane. She couldn’t keep from thinking about it. Her mind was soon taken off of the subject, however, once Laurie finished pinning her hair.

"There you are, miss," she said with a satisfied air.

"Thank you ever so much, Laurie. I should ask mother to promote you. My hair looks absolutely beautiful."

"Oh, ma'am I'm just doing my job. It looks so plain compared to your beauty," she blushed.

"And you are very humble for someone who's been working here for so long. Trust me your presence is greatly appreciated. I know mother adores you and finds your company comforting... I wish there was something I could do for her. I know she's hiding her pain. I can feel it when walks by, hear it when she speaks, and see it when I look in her eyes. She's such a strong woman my mother. I look up to her. I think I've even placed her on a pedestal. She will fall one day and it shall be my fault. . ." Rachael said as she stared at herself in the mirror in front of her.

Laurie left the room when she saw a tear trail down Rachael's face. She didn't know how to comfort people and her presence just felt out of place when these sort of things happened. Rachael didn't think of herself as pretty or beautiful she felt like a horrid being. Why was she so cold? Why did she feel no emotion when her mother hugged or kissed her?

What's wrong with me? Will I ever find happiness again? I should be happy! My whole life is ahead of me. I have many adventures to come. I'll have children and marry a wonderful man. But why can't I get a hold of happiness? Rachael wondered as while walking down the marble stairs.

Her mother was talking to some men at the bottom. The room was a very wide open space. There were tapestries hanging on the walls, a crimson rug covered the floor, and valiant knights guarded the halls to the left and right. The castle was almost a maze because one could easy lose their way if not familiar with the layout.

"Ah, Rachael. We will be inviting princes from all over the lands. We shall definitely find a man for you this time. I suggest you go into town and try out some new gowns—no you know what. I found the most beautiful one there the other day. I think I'll have a servant pick it up for me," she said then gave her daughter a peck on the cheek.

"Thank you, mother. Might I ask--"

"Oh no you may not! I want it to be a surprise. Now, go read something or daydream like normal girls your age do while I talk with these servants about the arrangements."

Rachael smirked and walked off to the library. There many books were just calling out to her. It was filled with fairy tales, maps, and many more selections. The decision was a hard one to make but she soon found a book that stood out to her. She picked up the well decorated book and began flipping through the pages.

Maybe all I need right now is some mushy fairy tale story with a perfect ending after all. Ah, this is the one father used to read to me when I was a little girl, Sleeping Beauty.

Suddenly Rachael became engrossed in the story. All of it was so real. She even wished she had some fairy godmothers to direct her path. Aurora hardly listened to their advice though. She was sure if she had one her godmother would not be taken for granted. Well, time seemed to be running away from Rachael. She was lying on the floor on her stomach reading the wonderful story. To her disappointment, a servant came into the library. He told her that guests were soon to arrive. Rachael gasped and looked outside. It was sunset. She rose to her feet almost instantly, handed the book to the servant, and dashed up the stairs. When she arrived in her room, Laurie was waiting to dress her.

"I thought you had forgotten all about the ball. . . Your dress is so majestic, ma'am. I was almost tempted to try in on myself. Though I'd fit into such a small thing."

Rachael marveled at the dress. It was royal blue, white gems were neatly placed across the front, and white gloves went along with it. A man would be lucky to get a chance to dance with her and she'd be lucky if she ever caught a break. It wasn't too revealing just enough to make a man stare at her chest rather than her eyes.

"Here's the necklace ma'am," Laurie said about to take off Rachael's locket.

"No, don’t! . . . I like this one better. I think it matches perfectly. Thank you, Laurie you are dismissed."

"Yes, ma'am," she said bowing.

I can't seem to part with this gift. I've become so attached to it. It's almost as if the necklace is my father. How silly I am.

Well, the guests arrive in a timely fashion and all were greeted cordially by servants and what not. The queen walked down the stairs by herself in a forest green grown with her crown placed perfectly on her head. She held her head up high as the visitors stood in awe. They all greeted her and her name was announced as she came down the steps after reaching the bottom she turned and waited for her daughter.

Rachael looked rather intimidated by all the strange faces but her mother's presence comforted her so she smiled, raised her head, and walked down the stairs with her hands folded. Once she reached the bottom, she was greeted also but she felt rather intimidated and wanted to hide herself. She was an awkward person to be around in social events. Her mother knew that when she became queen, however, she'd be able to attend these events with ease and not faint during a speech.

They all assembled in the ballroom. Chandeliers were hanging from the ceiling, the floor looked polished, and candles were lit to make a dim and romantic lighting. There were musicians on a higher platform playing violins and many other instruments at the front of the room. Everything was as it should be and all of the princesses and princes seemed to be having a wonderful time talking with each other and dancing about—all but Rachael of course. She was off in the distance standing by a guard at the entrance. She was planning on staying there, but she was almost instantly greeted by a young prince. He wasn't handsome at all, but Rachael didn't mind this since she didn’t have to impress him.

"Good evening, Princess Rachael of Vindel. Would you be so kind as to dance with me?" he asked with a bow and out-stretched arm.

"I would be delighted," she said lying through her teeth and curtsying.

They took the floor and did a waltz to a song that went like this:

Oh, tonight the air is sweet,

But you are what I desire.

Tell me when again we will meet.

I long for your warm embrace.

It was all too romantic for Rachael's taste. It made her feel uncomfortable.

After the song ended, she danced with another prince even less attractive than the other man she just danced with. He was good at dancing though, but he was quite the flirt. Rachael had seen him with many other girls. He would tickle them, blow on their necks, or wink at them as he passed by. This wasn't at all the proper behavior Rachael thought. He flirted with her as they danced which was actually flattering to Rachael but never in her life would she dream of marrying such a heady young man.

However, she soon found relief when another prince danced with her. He was striking and his hands were strong and masculine looking. His hair was neatly combed back and his outfit was just tight enough for her to tell he had rippling muscles. Dashing—in fact was the word Rachael would use to describe him—flamboyant even.

They danced to a song similar to the one mentioned earlier but it was much prettier. And didn’t have any words. It focused mainly on the violin, which always seemed to make Rachael's heart ache. It gave such a romantic air to the atmosphere. Rachael found herself lost in the eyes of the man in front of her. He was almost shy but his gaze was intimidating. When he held her, she felt chills running down her back but her hands were beginning to sweat. Luckily she was wearing gloves.

After the dance was over, he bowed to her and she curtseyed.

"I was a such a privilege to dance with a woman of your skill. . . Don't tell them I said this, but the women from Trent tend to step on my toes," the prince said looking over at the girls engaged in conversation in the corner of the room.

"Haha, well I will try my best to not crush your feet beneath me," Rachael said with a giggle.

"I must be off, your majesty, but I feel we will meet again," the prince said kissing her hand.

"Oh, but you have not given me your name yet!" Rachael said gaining his attention once more.

"Prince Frederick of Saetrum," he replied turning back to her.

"Princess Rachael of Vindel," she said with a nod and smile.

"My pleasure. Now you mustn't keep the hungry wolves waiting, princess. I'm afraid you have a waiting list," he said walking off for the last time.

Oh my goodness! Here comes another one. I shalln't have it. My feet are killing me. I don’t have to engage him. I'll just sneak off somewhere before he gets here.

With that in mind, Rachael slipped off tip toeing behind some of the girl dancers. The man followed her but when he was where he last saw her, she couldn’t been seen anywhere. She took off to the castle grounds. There she sat on a stone bench watching the fountain. She sighed in relief. Finally she could have some peace. The night was young and the stars seemed brighter than ever. She looked up and wondered which star was her father. Was he really watching her? Or was he laid to rest by himself nothing more than a corpse taking up space in the ground? She couldn’t bare thinking all he was just died that day but rather he was with her or watching her from afar.

Father, I know you probably guessed this already but I miss you dearly. If there was anything I could do to bring you back then I wouldn’t think twice. I just wish you were here to guide me. I feel so out of place like a black sheep. I don’t fit in and I've come to realize when you died you took part of me. Now I will never see you smile again; now I will never feel your touch; and now I will never hear your voice calling out to me. I just wish I had the chance to know you better before you left me to be somewhere else. . .

"I see someone else wasn't enjoying the party," said a mysterious voice from behind Rachael.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
36 Reviews


Points: 2198
Reviews: 36

Donate
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:35 am
starlitnight wrote a review...



wow, this was intersting! i'm really intrigued by her father, albeit he is dead. i want to know his backstory and what happened to him haha~

for rachael (what made you spell her name like that? it's so different~), she seems like an interesting character! i can't wait to see what you've done to her personality and how much she's changed! she definitely has room for growth, as do all of us.

okay, but prince frederick?~ he's definitely caught my attention! just from the way you've written him. who knew you could be drawn by a character you know next to nothing about? i can't wait to see how you've written him~

also i know this is from a longgg time ago, but i found it through some people's reviews and i decided to read it! truth be told the title really caught my attention.

~laynie <3




User avatar
75 Reviews


Points: 708
Reviews: 75

Donate
Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:55 pm
View Likes
ChieTheWriter wrote a review...



Cliffhanger. Evil. Now for the review.

Grammar:

you said: "Rachael didn't think of herself as pretty or beautiful she felt like a horrid being."

it should have been: "Rachael didn't think of herself pretty or beautiful. She felt like a horrid being.

-or-

"Rachael didn't think of herself pretty or beautiful, instead she felt like a horrid being."


you said: "It was all way too romantic for Rachael's taste."

The "way" seems a little more...informal. It would be better to say:

"It was all too romantic for Rachael's taste."

you said: "to tell he had ripping muscles."

it should have been: "to tell he had rippling muscles."


That's it. Bye bye.




RubyRed says...


Thanks and don't forget to click the like button.



User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 288
Reviews: 6

Donate
Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:48 am
View Likes
mysterygirl wrote a review...



After reading the first chapter, I found that this story was okay. I am quite fond of "princess" or medieval stories, so I decided to read your second chapter. I am quite impressed! Your work really improved, and you seem to add more detail to the story. I think it would be better if you added more "character" or to Rachael's personality. Does she like reading books? Is she only quiet or reserved, or does she secretly long for adventure? What interests her? Also, adding more detail wouldn't be so bad (I know I said that you are adding more detail than before, but I find that adding more detail the better, right?). You could add detail on how the "ugly" princes looked like, just like how you added detail on the handsome prince. Overall, the plot is good. I liked how you ended on a cliffhanger, and I look forward to reading the next chapter. You are doing great so far!

Rating: Three stars ***

~Trisha




RubyRed says...


Thanks. Don't forget to click the "like" button.



User avatar
383 Reviews


Points: 19607
Reviews: 383

Donate
Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:44 pm
Sujana wrote a review...



Well, the ball is going accordingly. There's some interesting things going on about here, but so far what I've said in the last review still stands. Before I start reviewing this, I'd like to start with some of the highlights:

-"Rachael didn't think of herself as pretty or beautiful she felt like a horrid being." I felt like there should've been something separating these two clauses, like a dash or a semicolon between 'beautiful' and 'she'. Or, at the very least, a comma.

-"she said then gave her daughter a peck on the cheer." Cheer? I think you might've meant cheek, not cheer.

-"I want it to be a surprise now go read something or daydream like normal girls your age do while I talk with these servants about the arrangements." Again, I feel like there should be something separating 'surprise' and 'now'. Most likely make the sentence following 'now' a sentence of its own, ie "I want it to be a surprise. Now, go read something or daydream..."

-"It was sleeveless but rather modest just revealing enough to make a man stare at her chest rather than her eyes." I'm...somewhat confused by this sentence. As far as I'm aware, you could've meant that by 'modest' you mean 'plain' or 'not gaudy', but I first read it as 'not too revealing'. But it's revealing enough to make men stare at her chest? That doesn't sound particularly modest. Perhaps I read that wrong, but it does seem at the very least contradictory. Correct me if I'm wrong.

-"Well, the guests arrive in a timely fashion" If you are going to use past tense, I suggest remaining in past tense. It's difficult, I understand, and often the present tense sounds prettier, but it should be 'arrived' not 'arrive'.

-"She held her head up high as the visitors stood in "aww"." When you say 'aww', I think puppies and babies. When you say 'awe', I think Keanu Reeves murmuring 'whoa' or a beautiful princess moving down a staircase, in this situation. In other words, I'm not sure which one you intended to use, but I don't think 'aww' was appropriate.

Now, onto the actual review:

Show don't tell really is needed here, more than anything else. You describe the first two princes as unattractive, as if the reader knows what unattractive looks like (are they Donald Trump? Ebenezer Scrooge? Medusa?), and you expect us to feel the same revulsion as the princess is even though we don't know what the princes look like. What is the color of their eyes? What do their noses look like? What hair color do they have? You could go the route of describing their appearances as homely or describing their personalities as repulsive, as you did with the second prince. Either way counts, but the audience needs to have an image, personality or physical wise, of the character before they can judge them properly.

This also goes for the third and handsome prince. You introduced him like there wasn't anything special about him, but since you did supply his name and made sure the audience knew that the protagonist likes him, I assume he'll play at least a slightly pivotal role to the story. Yet his introduction is somewhat flat, like the continuation of the first two princes, except with a twist. I'm not asking for much, certainly. Just a spark in this part of the story.

Comments:

Besides that, I'm taking the title of the work seriously and I don't trust any of the characters no matter how the protagonist describes them. Especially the handsome prince. He may be the most moral person in the story or the ruthless villain, but I doubt he'll be in between. This isn't a part of the review, mind you--it's just an insight as to what I'm thinking while reading the story.

Hope this




User avatar
216 Reviews


Points: 93
Reviews: 216

Donate
Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:02 am
View Likes
DivergentDemigod wrote a review...



Oh my god!!! Keepwriting you are evil! How could you leave your dear readers (specially an awesome person like me) on such a cliff hanger!!!?!?!??!! Really though i hate cliffys and for you to leave me hanging on one that to with one hand that is already slipping....
God please i request you -no scratch that order you- to post the next chapter as soon as you can!!! Or brace yourself for my anger....*just kidding!* but seriously update soon!
Anyway back to your work...
It was interesting but you have got a lot of puncuational (is that a word?) Mistake so work on that....

"It was all way too romantic for Rachael's tasted. It made her feel uncomfortable" here it should be taste instead of "tasted"

And i like the description of prience you made....he seems uh "hot" for lack of better words :)
I like the way you use "stars" and actually i love everything about it...

I'll be waiting eagerly for the next chapter... inform me when its published...

Insanely yours...
Fangirl~




RubyRed says...


Thanks again! I am currently writing the next part and I will definitely tell you when it's up! :D




“I'd much rather be someone's shot of whiskey than everyone's cup of tea.”
— Carrie Bradshaw