...

by RubyRed

BubblegumGoddess wrote a review...

Hey there Keepwriting!
I have to admit, your title was what drew me into this essay of your because it was a struggle that I too have dealt with. My father grew up an atheist and my mother Christian, this caused some conflict in my personal beliefs as I became the woman I am today. I would like to make it clear that I am an atheist but I am not here to bash on your beliefs or anything of that sort. In fact, I am very happy that you were able to find happiness in religion after all, happiness is what really matters in the end and I would like to congratulate on that. Okay now that we have that out of the way, on to my review!
Overall, I liked the way you teetered back and forth between following religion and non-religion all the way up to the end. This created a sort of suspense for me and that's not commonly found in essays yet, I think it worked for you here. I also enjoyed how you created arguments for both sides of the spectrum. Religion and how it relates oneself is a struggle that is more common than many people realize and I was really fond of how you brought that issue to light. As a reader, it was easy to find your tone and your voice in this work which is really important and helps make a connection with the reader.
Since I do not follow religion, I do not know much about it so I will not be critiquing the Biblical references simply because I am not educated enough in that field to be comfortable doing so. That being said, I think that your science references need a little bit of polishing. It seems that some of your sources, although the old time scientists and their discoveries led us to where we are today, are a little outdated. I think that choosing such a well known scientist was smart but, I think this essay would greatly benefit from some modern scientists and their discoveries.
As for grammar and technical writing skills the only complain I have is you staring the last paragraph with "and". It's not correct and weakens your conclusion.
If you have any questions or comments please feel free to message me or reply!
-BubblegumGoddess

RubyRed says...

You are right about the sources being outdated. Do you know of any recent evolutionists that I could use in my essay?

Mon May 08, 2017 4:32 am
Gravity wrote a review...

Okay...

So I'm a Christian but I have a major, major problem with pretty much everything in your blog post. I can't really call it an article or an essay because you don't really include references from concrete sources. You sort of just summarize everything you've researched with the expectation that we're just going to believe what you've said.

I read about C.S. Lewis when he was an atheist. He believed in evolution, and the Big Bang Theory as most Atheists do.

My first problem with this, is that you're acting like it's either you're Christian, you believe what went down in the Old Testament, you're Atheist, it's evolution/big bang all the way. No. No. No. No. No. No. Studies show about 25% of adults believe in evolution as being guided by a supreme being. As in, evolution happened, God made it happen.

You have to understand something. The Bible was written 2,000 years ago. People couldn't possibly understand the evolutionary process like we can today. In order to get people to love God, see his light, and to follow the moral laws of the Bible, they needed a believable explanation of how they came to be. "We grew from this bacteria" doesn't satisfy that need, it still obviously doesn't satisfy that need because people (please don't take this the wrong way, but you too) fail to understand the complex nature of evolution.

Charles Darwin believed we started as bacteria, then evolved into fish, then amphibians, then reptiles, then birds, then mammals, then into the humans we are today. But where is the evidence for his theory?

Charles Darwin. I'm familiar. He's an old dead guy who developed a theory without the scientific technology we have today. Your source is outdated. Modern scientists have invested years and millions of dollars into evolutionary research, yet the only evolution anything you looked into was an old dead guy with no access to new evidence?

However, no fossils have been found even to this day that have been proven to be the links between species... I was left puzzled and confused.

Where is your source for this? Anybody who has taken a biology class or taken an antibiotic can see proof of evolution. What's the reason you have to take antibiotics consistently? Because the cells can become resistant to it. Look it up. Cells can become resistant to antibiotics, they evolve. Cells that aren't resistant to the bacteria die, as a result, cells that learn to be resistant against the bacteria multiply. This is an example of natural selection, i.e. evolution.

With evolution studied and found unprovable

You studied one man, one study, and you found evolution unprovable. Because that research was thorough.

He preached, he healed, and he rebuked. Not only that, but after the pharisees accused Him of blasphemy, treason, ect. He was crucified on the cross for the sins of the whole world.

Once again, your only proof that the Bible was real is what you read in the Bible. You don't use any evidence to back up your claims, you don't look at any outside sources. As a Christian, yes, I could give you lots of sources proving events in the Bible actually happened. I could also give you lots of evidence that evolution really happened.

Then I looked at Atheists and the like. They seemed fine to me and happy, but they used the "fact" that they "are animals" as an excuse for their wrong doings.

This is perhaps the biggest thing that bothered me. You just generalized atheists, and you made them seem immoral. First of all, humans are animals and have instincts that are difficult to ignore. Is it impossible to ignore these instincts? No, not at all. Do some atheists use this to excuse their behavior? Absolutely. I happen to know many atheists who are very moral people and honestly, Christian people who use their faith as an excuse to do things that are wrong. Generalizing either is wrong and dangerous.

I don't have a problem with you not believing in evolution. My problem is the Christians who limit evolutionary research that could save lives. For example, finding ways to stop bacteria becoming resistant to antibiotics could very well correlate with evolutionary research and save lives. Same with cancer, one of the ways scientists are trying to cure cancer is by engineering cells and modifying them to attack the cancer, something that has a lot to do with evolution.

My problem isn't you, it's the generalizations and ideas this article causes. I consider myself Christian. I am struggling with my faith, but I do consider myself Christian. I'm not angry about this article because of my lack of faith. I'm angry because it makes generalizations and statements based on very thin research, and your "glossing over" topics and assuming they can't be true just because you don't understand them.

RubyRed says...

Hey, so I know my sources are outdated. They're that way because when I was researching evolution that was a few years ago, and those were the sources I looked at. I agree I shouldn't be generalizing but that was a personal experience of mine. Also you're right the problem with this is my lack of stating sources. :) Thanks for your review, and do you know of any more recent sources I can use for this? Thanks. :)

Mon May 08, 2017 2:27 am
RubyRed says...

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts with me! I love a good debate, and I'm glad you all were kind in your comments. Since this is a controversial topic, people like to avoid it, but I'm happy you all took the time to respond to me. (:

Wriskypump wrote a review...

Science is merely but observation & analyzing how things work. The Only way Faith conflicts with this, is that it takes Trust to leap off the diving board of circumstantial evidence you get to view on earth, & risk taking the fall through the air if that water you believe you see is really H2O or if it's just a mirage.

Seek God, He asks you to seek Him; to seek it above everything else; “The Lord is near to all them that call upon him, to all that call upon him in truth. He will fulfill the desire of them that fear him: he also will hear their cry, and will save them.” - Psalm 145:18-19 “Call to me and I will answer; I will show you great and wondrous things you do not know.” - Jere. 33:3

God revealed his presence to me when I was 7. It's because He can't take sitting idly by while one of his sons or daughters perpetually is weeping every minute of every day. Besides having had Jesus speak to me, my dad before suicide at 18 was transported into a vision of Candles & heard a voice say "It is not yet your time", and when his mother died of a heart attack at 53 she talked with Jesus & was given the choice to stay or come back. She came back and told about it. Last year I called on God every day for 4 months to visit me, Personally manifest to me again. He finally came, in a ring of unblemished light he spoke from: I could see a movement inside as he spoke, but no features. Jesus said to me, "I don't feel your pain while you're in it, but I Know. He said more stuff, but I forgot what was said cause I was euphorically crying. Last thing he said and let me retain was, "I know you don't know where you're going: But That is My Glory."

No other place but the text located in the bible can you find the Nature and Characteristics of God portrayed and described. No other religion really defines their God, what they stand for specifically, what they want their servants to do: they just have a silhouette of a personality per se.

“The Lord is near unto them that are of a broken heart; and saves such as are of a contrite spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the Lord delivers them out of them all.” Psalm 34:18-19

The wicked (meaning far from God) through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts - Psalms 10:4

Rule #1 Because they only have so much information, Humans cannot truly access Logical assertions. "As far as the laws of math refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality" - Albert E. You cannot simply be so pragmatic when it comes to anything that you cannot witness firsthand: you must weigh the probability of supernatural occurrences & the like. You must make an educated guess.

Rule #2 If you do not first believe or suspect a thing, you will not know how to isolate what expectations or outcome you are looking for. In other words, you must, of an order, you must believe something could be possible first, or you won't be able to realize what type of evidence would lean toward confirmation of your Theory.

The Fibonacci numbers, goldens spirals, Golden ratios in the growth of every thing.

I also have to think: What are the odds that an explosion and reaction of chemicals comes out to any more than chemicals in an altered state, much less laying down a tidy little universe structured from top to bottom? What are the odds non-living matter can jump to Braniacs on a macro level of living matter; what are the Odds it operates on a predictable system that we can contemplate? In the facts, it’s right next to mathematically impossible.

The Israel that Arose, shifted, became enslaved, was delivered & Raised up, then ravaged & exiled & reestablished numerous times: we see that the Greater portion of Contemporary Israelis still do not recognize Christ for who he said he was To The World two-thousand years ago.

He wanted to take away your weaknesses, your fears, your feelings of inadequacy, your rejection: He wanted to teach you how to know His abounding goodness and hear His voice. I seek God with all my might and heart and hope and in prayer he tells me what to do, where to go, and He gives me promises. That's all there is, no other secret than that.
Though your sins (wrong in God's eyes, not anyone else's) are as scarlet they shall be made white as snow." – Isaiah 43 " For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." – Matthew 11:30

papillote wrote a review...

Hi, Keepwriting.

Thanks for this. It made for an interesting read. It got me thinking anyway.

I believe you have the causal relationship between being Christian and having a hard life backward.
Being a Christian myself, I'm very familiar with the wavering you experienced. When I felt guilty about it, thinking those doubts were a shortcoming of mine, my mom told me there was no faith without doubt. Chosing God despite all the reasons we have not to is a gift to Him.
As I grew up, I realized that there is no faith without hardship either.
There seems to be a rampant belief in the US that being a Catholic is about guilt. It's not my own experience. It's about comfort. Not one of the very devout persons I know led an easy life. It's like, in God, we find a promise of sucor, of justice - the famous 'just reward'.
You turn to Him as the time of your death grows closer, as you lose the people you love, etc. People believe because their life is hard and they need some kind of comfort but nowhere in the Bible is it written that you should leave all the heavy lifting to God. We are responsible for our own fate, Christian or not.

Now, onto Creation. From the first time I crawled into a Church as a toddler, I have been told to read the Book of Genesis as I would a very long and beautiful metaphor. Not untrue, but not very precise. I don't feel the need to choose between my faith and science.
I remember something I heard a priest say once: religion explains why, science tells you how. It's nonetheless the same story.

I don't know how many times I've heard it: faith is a gift.
A couple of great authors describe faith as a choice. My favorite one is Blaise Pascal. Maybe you should read his 'thoughts' if you haven't yet. That's one man who found God while going through a great deal of pain. Pascal's wager is that any rational person should give God's existence the benefit of a doubt: if He exists, there is a lot to be won or lost; if he doesn't, what does it cost, really, to believe?
Ludicrous, right? Like true faith can result from a cost-benefit analysis...
So, clearly, you don't choose faith. It really is a gift. For me, it has always been obvious that God was the one giving it. But why does He grant faith to some of us, and not to the others? Maybe atheists don't need faith to behave responsibly. Maybe those atheists you saw behaving badly have been given that gift but have been ignoring it.
I don't know but I have trouble with the idea of someone choosing not to believe so they can wallow in sin. Faith or no faith, most people are born with a sense of right and wrong and, most of the time, they listen to it. And let's be honest, not all Christians are entirely sinfree.

Anyway, nice read. Good luck to you, Keepwriting.

Feltrix says...

Hello, Papillote. Iam an atheist, and, like being christian, it's not a choice. It's not really a gift, either, but that's not the point.

Anyway, what I want to say is that I really appreciated your views on science. I think that religion and science should be able to coexist, and you put that better than anyone else I have heard.

papillote says...

Thanks. I owe my view of science to a priest who once preached in my church. He was a very young man but very wise and I still remember him fondly. He moved on to study some more and do great things.
As to how one comes to be an atheist, I'll have to take your word for it. It seems to me that I was born believing. Sometimes, it was mindless and a little fearful, the way I believed, more superstition than faith but, as I grew up, it became something more.
I can't imagine how it is not to believe. When in doubt or in trouble, I look to God for anwers and it's a funny thing because I don't find Him in church or in other people, I find Him in my heart, like a small part of Him lives there.
It's an incredible comfort. It seems to me that it would be extraordinarily cold, lonely and painful to live any other way.
I wonder how one lives and thinks without faith? How do you know right from wrong? What do you have for comfort when you lose someone? When you reflect upon your own death? How does it feel? Do you sometimes wish you believed?

Feltrix says...

Okay, that's a lot of questions, and I'm not sure how to answer all of them, but I'll do my best! It's interesting that you say you were born believing because I am the opposite. Neither of my parents are religious, and I attended Sunday School for a little while, but I believed what the priest said the same way that I believed in the Tooth Fairy. It's nice to think about, but deep down, I didn't believe it. Is life without religion cold, lonely, and painful? No. I may not be able to turn to God, but I have friends and family who I love and who love me. As sappy as this may sound, that's all you really need. John Lennon aside, it's hard to describe what life is like without religion, because I can't really know what it's like with it, but I'll do the best I can. Life goes on. High School is bad, but I've only got three more years. Yay, optimism? I guess I don't have someone watching over me, but I'm able to rely on myself. On the other hand, I don't feel indebted to anyone, and I feel as though if I was religious, I'd have to sacrifice some of my free will. How do I know right from wrong? I think regardless of whether or not you're religious, it comes from the heart. I don't have anyone who can give me exact definitions, but that doesn't mean I think it's okay to murder people. I think I'm responsible enough to know that's a bad idea. But I don't think religion can really decipher right from wrong either, otherwise all christians would have exactly the same morals. What do I have for comfort when I lose someone? That's tough. I guess I have the aforementioned friends and family, but if I lose someone I care about, then I think it's hard to cope regardless of religion. What do I have for comfort when I think about my own death? I think the answer for this varies greatly. Personally, I don't believe in anything after death, so I have the lovely and comforting thoughts that I won't care about my death after it happens. I won't exist. This doesn't really bother me, actually, because it happens to everyone. I'll be in excellent company when I die. Most of the best people who ever lived have died. I've come to terms with my death, and I accept it. Do I sometimes wish I believed? No. Never. I haven't really thought about it much, actually. I suppose it's mostly because I think religion is wrong, and I prefer to always be right, but that's kind of a lousy answer, so I'll elaborate. I suppose there are advantages to believing, which you know better than me, but I like my life the way it is. It's possible I'd be happier if I believed, but I have no way of knowing. I suspect I'd be the same, actually. My biggest problem with religion is that I feel like I'd have to sacrifice some of my free will if I accept that there is a sentient being capable of creating and dictating what happens in an entire universe, and that I have to obey this being no matter what. I also object to heaven and hell. No one is perfect, and no one is completely evil, so neither option can be a just one. Also, no one deserves an eternity of torment, no matter what they did.

If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to answer them!

papillote says...

Wow, highschool...I didn't realize you were so much younger than me. Ten years might not seem like a lot right now but I can assure you, you will be hit with some serious compromises in the next decade.
I can relate to some of what you said. As I explained, faith and superstition are a lot alike during childhood. It's something you have been raised with and God is mostly that scary guy who seems to control everything, who does very random things (like impregnating unmarried girls when He knows very well that it will make trouble for them) and who watches everyone.
Personally, I had real problems with the last part. I think it was my grandfather who told me that our Church was God's house and that He watched everything within. His point, I believe, was to get us to stop whispering during mass. NOT his finest idea. I spent the next ten years terrified of twitching a toe during mass. I almost passed out from claustrophobia a few times.
So naturally, when I hit my teens (and highschool, yay), I decided not to step foot EVER AGAIN in Church. I thought my mother would be disappointed but she didn't have it in her. She didn't just believe, she was one of the least judgemental persons I have had the fortune of knowing. She told me that bit about doubt and faith, she told me to explore as much as I needed to. So highschool was all about exploring. I studied the history of my religion, I read the Quran, etc.
Eventually, I went back to the faith I have been raised in. I'm not sure it was really a choice, more like responding to early conditioning. I believe there is a bit of truth to be found in every religion I studied but it's the Catholic rite that soothes me the most. Simple as that.
But one thing I always had a sense about was that something greater than me existed and that we were only playing out His design. I think it's something you'll understand because it's your love of writing that led you here.
I love storytelling. The more intricate, the more colorful, the better. What's more complex, more beautiful than science? Or not exactly science, because it's a poor mirror for the object it's trying to reflect, but life. Biology, physics, mathematic...The more I learned, the more I was struck by the perfection, the complexity of it all.
It sounds very 'child of the cosmos', I know but that's how I've always felt. It just seems so sad, otherwise. It's like you are a musician and someone hands you over the most perfect symphony, something you couldn't have written in your wildest dreams and you look, and look, and look for its author, only to find out that your masterpiece was random script spat out on a white sheet by a dysfunctioning piece of machinery.
I want to believe that life is the greatest story ever, written by someone whose mind encompasses the entire universe and that He placed something even better behind every bend.
Does that make sense?

Feltrix says...

I think so. I enjoy the idea that God is a cosmic author, because it enforces the idea that writing creates universes out of words. But you don't need religion to understand how wonderful the universe is! It's awe-inspiring how huge it is, and all how there are wild, wonderful things are in it. It's wonderful in a way that I can't even begin to understand. If you open your mind, there's magic in everything, no matter what you believe.

zaminami says...

I'm an atheist, but I don't blame that we are animals for every one of our wrongdoings. Recently, if you haven't seen, someone (I forget who) found out that Christians are BLOCKING scientific research on the evolution and the Bug Bang because they don't want their faith questioned.

Concerning the Big Bang, I believe that there are other universes and a particle from a dying universe became a new one instead of just dying like the rest. I mean, that's my theory, but looking at what other scientists think what happened, it just seems plausible.

And then Evolution. I have never really researched it, and had just assumed that the different kingdoms are just different kingdoms and that the species evolved from the first few species in the kingdom (probably doesn't make any sense but okay). So basically, amphibians evolved from amphibians, mammals evolved from mammals, etc.

Now, I've been reading the Bible recently, and I think that it's a really enjoyable read, but I still don't believe in him. To us atheists, or at least most of us, we think that if God was real he would have come down and joined us and met the Pope or something again to show his people that he's real. But he hasn't, so I don't think that he's actually real, in my mind.

But one of the biggest reasons that I'm not an atheist is because of how some Christians around where I live and around the world great their fellow people. If God loves everyone, why are people depressed? Suicidal? In poverty? Raped? Murdered? Discriminated? The Christians that I live with always say: "They have sins, so they must be punished". This just doesn't make sense to me. Everyone has sins, right? Even in "Carrie", the mother was so into Christianity that she abused her child because of it. And besides that, some Christians own mistranslated Bibles, which leads them to discriminate people who are bi, gay, or even trans. That's another thing I don't get.

Now, I'm not trying to make you an atheist, but I just wanted to give you some theories of mine and an atheist perspective to help you a little. And you know what? I'm happy that you researched athiesm. Not a lot of Christians do where I come from (they just discriminate the atheists without hearing their side.)

Hope this helped!--

Kara R. Stevens

RubyRed says...

Hey, Kara. Do you mind if I out my two cents worth in?

You said
Recently, if you haven't seen, someone (I forget who) found out that Christians are BLOCKING scientific research on the evolution and the Bug Bang because they don't want their faith questioned.

Where's the article to this? And I love when people question my beliefs it makes me think.

So basically, amphibians evolved from amphibians, mammals evolved from mammals, etc.

According to evolutionists that's not how it works.

To us atheists, or at least most of us, we think that if God was real he would have come down and joined us and met the Pope or something again to show his people that he's real. But he hasn't, so I don't think that he's actually real, in my mind.

God came to earth in A.D. and stayed for about 33 years (I say about because God came to earth as a man to teach the people of the scriptures and things to come, and the Bible doesn't record for us his age).

From what I hear about the "Christians" in your area... they're either VERY religious and haven't read the New Testament in a long time. Or not really Christians. People lie and people like this give all Christians a bad name. As far as bad things happening, Satan is to blame for that. God allows persecution, He allows a free will, but there are times when He intervenes. And "Carrie" wasn't a Christian. No Christian (follower of Christ) would do anything like that unless they're mentally ill. As for the new translations, I don't read them. I read KJV because it's the closest to the original texts. Thanks for the review and your time. :)

zaminami says...

Yeah, thanks! I mean, I'm not going to change into a Christian in probably a long time, if I ever do, but it was really helpful.

I'm sorry about any typos... I'm on my sucky phone...

I mean, I didn't find the article myself... now that I think about it, I think that Alex did... you could talk to her.

And yeah. Thanks for your time!

RubyRed says...

Oh your typos are fine everyone makes them, and I understood you. XD Thanks for listening and asking questions. :)

Sat May 06, 2017 7:33 am
Mich4el wrote a review...

I recently started reading Lewis. I read Mere Christianity about two.months ago and The Spiderwick chronicles. From a philosophical standpoint, the same reasons for believing in God Are the same for not. But there is only one truth, and for me, that is that there is God. Why there is such dissension about religion today is how Christians behaved throughout history. They rejected scientific reason because of supposed faith. It was perhaps no fault of theirs as religion was a stronghold in people's lives, however hypocritical and self serving, and this other option took away their certainties and reason for acting so sanctimoniously. We as a postmodern society are too cynical of religion. Because people use religion desperately doesn't make it any less valid. I have pondered atheist thoughts myself and found I cannot agree with the grey area that doesn't acknowledge the black in it. If everyone is, and is expected to be, a summation of their experiences, why do we like Jon Snow more than Cersei (I am not included in we, lol). I was comfortable believing there was no God as long as I was good to others. But that isn't enough. We all make up a moral code that suits us perfectly and because the self righteous pricks are the religious ones, we say everyone should make a moral code that suits them and live that way.
I consider myself very nonjudgmental and very accepting of people. I strongly dislike the concept of hell as burning fire, and hope it is just a metaphor. Christianity works for me because it is the ONLY perfect way to live your life. It's a truth most people don't want to see especially when they are happy and content. But that's the truth, and to say that's a truth that works for me alone makes it a lie. It's a universal truth, whether or not we believe it.
BTW Death is just so scary it's easier to be cynical and scared and brave in the face of its inevitability and to reconcile with eternal unconsciousness than to have unwavering faith in harps and gold and marshamllow clouds

zaminami says...

Wait how do you like Cersei more than Jon? Jon is awesome XD

Sat May 06, 2017 4:40 am
EmPanda15 says...

Hi Keepwriting,

Just a quick grammar correction - third paragraph, first sentence, the word "believe" should be "belief".

I am an atheist that believes that science has an answer, that is not always perfect, to everything, but it is much more logical than God creating two people that later had two boys that later created the human race. Otherwise we would be deformed because when siblings mate, deformities occur (scientifically proven). I feel that it would much more logical to believe that humans evolved all around the world creating the diversity that we see today, such as the difference between race/ethnicity. If God were to create only two White people, and if evolution did not exist, we would not have seven billion people of various shades of skin color and features. The variety gives humans the chance to think outside the box and work together to create new ideas and blend together their old ones. If evolution did not occur and we all descended from two European people, we would most likely share the same ideas and believe in God and teach everyone else (their descendants) that God was real. May I ask you this one question, why would Atheists exist if we all descended from one set of parents who would have taught us to believe in God?

If you have ever watched a highly religious family, you would see that they family does not question their beliefs or think outside the box. It is ironic that you look for evidence to prove science yet believe in God without any proof other than a Bible, that many believe represents a popular work of fiction.

I am not saying that your beliefs are wrong, only that if you argue that Atheists need more proof for science, then your argument should have more proof for God.

This was an inspirational piece, generating great debates. Thank you.

Best,
Emmary

RubyRed says...

Hey, Emmary. The answer to your question:
why would Atheists exist if we all descended from one set of parents who would have taught us to believe in God?

Your question starts with an assumption. I believe in God, but I definitely wouldn't force my religion on to my children. I'd teach them about everything, give them my opinion, and let them decide for themselves what they believe. Christianity isn't about shoving religion down people's throats. It's about sharing our belief, being kind to others like Christ, and living our own lives in as much peace as possible. So, why would Atheists exist? Because God gave us a free will which no one can take away from us. We all decide for ourselves what we believe.

Something I thought was funny... So: You can't believe that humankind came from two people, yet you can believe that the whole universe in all of its diversity was somehow formed from a single particle (the Big Bang)? That's funny. On "If God were to create only two White people, and if evolution did not exist, we would not have seven billion people of various shades of skin color and features", no one has said Adam and Eve were white. They are sometimes portrayed as being white, but no one actually knows what they looked like. On the variety of skin colors today, evolution/science and the existence of God don't always contradict eachother- despite the fact that a lot of people seem to have the idea it's one or other. It's NOT one or the other- there is truth on both sides. I can see the sense in skin color changing due to a people's environment (Ex: deserts darkening skin over generations). I don't see the sense in humans evolving from apes, since there are still apes today. Just seeing something you said earlier, Adam and Eve had more than two sons. About atheists not existing, do you honestly think that kids listen to their parents and become whatever their parents tell them to be? Often the opposite, actually. "..you would see that the family does not question their beliefs.." That is the weakest argument you've made so far. Were you ever christian? Are you even close to a Christian? I'd really like to know. Even the most devout christians have periods where they question their faith. We aren't a different species. We question, we wonder, we look for answers. We aren't idiots who blindly believe from birth what we've been told. It's a fact that a large number of scientists agree that God DOES exist. Please- it's not science OR God. Again, there is truth on both sides. Give a moment to think about all the stuff you just posted. Use common sense and you can knock out several of those arguments. I think I just did.

RubyRed says...

Aly, couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Sat May 06, 2017 3:08 am
cleverclogs says...

Just FYI, how life came to be so diverse vs how life or the universe came to be in the first place are two totally separate questions. Evolution (science's answer to the first question) is regarded as one of the cornerstones of biology and one of the most ironclad scientific theories out there, while abiogenesis and the big bang theory (science's answer to the second question) are much more unsure.

And honestly, evolution makes perfect sense if you accept that life must change over time. Then, it becomes less of an answer to the question "where did species come from," and more of an answer to the question "how did life change over time". Then, it becomes simple. When the environment changes, some individuals of a species are better genetically suited to the change than others, so the individuals without the beneficial genes die out, increasing the frequency of those genes within the population. And that's how, over enough time, one species can evolve into another. It's not that one species suddenly gives birth to another, it's a matter of adaptation and survival. For an extremely simplified example: Why do giraffes have long necks? Because the environment that giraffes live in and the niche they fill favors long necks. Short-necked giraffes wouldn't be able to reach the food, and would die out.

And also, Darwin's theory wasn't perfect! He had no idea about the existence of DNA in his time. He did know that, for his theory to be proven, he would need evidence that traits can be passed from parent to offspring, but without knowing about DNA and how certain traits are coded in genes that are passed on, he was stumped. So yeah, a lot of faulty biology can be found in his writings.

And by the way, all this information comes from what I learned in a basic high school biology course. I don't know what sort of resources you were looking at, because it's really not that difficult of a concept. My explanation is probably kind of confusing because it's pretty simplified (and I haven't been in biology since January), so maybe you could look up some high school biology resources or something.

Anyway, this became a lot more involved than I intended it to be, so I'm just gonna stop talking here.

RubyRed says...

Clogs, I don't want to make an argument, but more of a debate with you if you're willing. Evolution can be disproved by the theories it created to support it. Look at natural selection for example, it states that the fittest will survive and the weak will die off. Well if the giraffe was evolving to reach the trees for its food it would die off before its neck became long enough to reach its food since evolve happens very slowly.

Also, Darwin himself backed out of his belief in evolution and turned to Christianity then on his deathbed renounced evolution.

cleverclogs says...

The giraffe's neck doesn't grow in its lifetime. The giraffes that are able to reach the trees survive and reproduce and pass on the trait of long necks to their offspring. It's simply common sense. If you really thing you can disprove evolution, I suggest you contact the appropriate scientific agency, because you may just revolutionize biology. But for now, it's one of the closest things we have to fact in science. I made my comment because seeing such misinformation gets on my nerves, and I want to make it absolutely clear that I am not willing to debate you, because it never goes anywhere. Science is true whether you want it to be or not, that's simply the nature of science.

I won't be replying any further.

RubyRed says...

Obviously the giraffe's neck doesn't finish growing in its lifetime. I didn't say it did. XD But since you decided to back out because you don't want to here what I have to say then I won't explain any further. Good day.

zaminami says...

((Yeah, clever did this to me too... I'd love to get into a philosophical discussion, if you want. :)))

Sat May 06, 2017 2:28 am
Feltrix says...

Hello! I'm not here to review (sorry), but I am here to respond. I am an atheist, and I always have been. The main reason I don't believe in a god or God or any afterlife is that I can't. I just can't see how something like that is possible. There is no scientific or logical explanation to any of it. In my opinion, that's what religion does: explain things. But unlike scientific reasoning, which does the same, I can't find any tangible evidence of it happening. Some things, like the big bang, are still shrouded in mystery. But, you know what? That's okay. There's no way we can know and explain everything now, it would be arrogant to think so. But, before anyone says the same can be said about religion, there's a monumental difference between saying "We think that the universe came from a single particle of infinite energy because of particle accelerators, cosmic microwave background radiation, and red shift. We don't know how the particle came to be." and saying "God created everything. God has always been there."

One last thing on evolution: it's not unprovable. In fact, you might see proof of it every day. All domesticated animals were bread using genetics by humans. We shaped evolution, yes, but it still occurred. And there is fossil evidence for evolution. It's just that the lines between one animal and what that animal evolved into are so thin that there is no 'missing link.'

Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Feltrix

RubyRed says...

Hello, Feltrix. I'm glad you've come to talk about this subject because I've very rarely had the chance to talk to someone about it. And just before I get into this I want to clarify that I'm not trying to preach to you in any way bc that has happened to me many times before and I know how it can be annoying when someone tries to force you to believe something they do.

With that aside, I did believe myself that there was no way to prove God exists, but I wasn't truly looking. Take a look at a single cell for example. In it are sooo many intricate designs all working for the cell's benefit. There's DNA in that one cell that passes on to all newer generations after it, there's Centrioles (tiny organisms that make the cell divide), and the nucleus which controls all the functions of the cell. Another example is the human body. The human body is made up of 100 trillions cells on average. Now that may seem simple to most people but when I think about how ALL of those cells work together for the human body I thought "this couldn't happen by chance."

And you brought up us breeding animals. So, the breeding of animals today doesn't prove evolution because evolution happens over thousands of years. Not only that but the breeding that happens never changes a specie into a different specie. It's always within a certain kind.

And as for fossils to prove evolution all of the ape fossils such as Lucy were proven to be fully ape. And for the rest of the fossils they were proven to be fully man. There were no transitional forms found. Charles Darwin who came up with evolution, said that we'd find transitional fossils later on, but we've been searching for them for over a hundred years and still haven't found real factual proof.

This to me strongly disproves evolution not only that, but what about natural selection. Natural selection states that only the fittest will survive so if an animal was going through the evolutionary process and had an extra unusable body part it would make it harder for that animal to survive and it would die off.

And I have a question for you about God: if God doesn't exist then why are the Israelites still alive today? They were over thrown and kicked out of their lands time and time again. Hitler couldn't even wipe out the Jews (God's people).

Feltrix says...

Keep in mind, I'm not actually trying to convert you to atheism, I'm just saying how I think things are. You can choose to believe them or not, but I enjoy debating. But if you want to be a christian, be a christian.

Okay, I think that the universe is insanely complex and it's wonderful. I mean, think of this: How many atoms make up a single pebble? How many pebbles make up a planet? How many stars make up a galaxy? How many galaxies make up a galaxy cluster? It goes on and on, expanding into bigger and bigger things to infinity. (Okay, I'm gonna have to have evolution help me on this one. I'll try to explain that later.) The first plant cell, the first living organism that we know of in the entire universe, appeared 2.5 billion years ago. The first animal cell appeared 1.5 billion years ago. The first multi-cellular organism appeared 500 MILLION years ago. It took 2 billion years, half of the earth's lifetime, for us to get an organism with more than one cell. It's not random how life forms. It's too complex to just be thrown together. We've been intricately created by 1.5 billion years of evolution.

Now, to keep the spirit of Darwin alive. Metaphorically. Okay, so, I seem to be running into the same road block over and over again: fossil evidence. You say that Lucy was proven to be fully ape, but this is simply not the case. The entire reason why the discovery of Lucy was revolutionary is that she was an australopithecus. She had an apelike skull, and was capable of walking upright. The same goes for Homo Habilis, Homo Erectus, and the Neanderthals. They are all in places that are in between human and ape. Of course, as mentioned above, there aren't really any links because evolution is a flow, but we've labeled these specific sections one it.

You say that natural selection would eliminate animals that are 'in between species,' but that isn't the case, either. It's easy to justify how animals between apes and humans would survive: they have bigger brains and can run faster than their predecessors. That's too easy. They're clearly fitter. So I'll go with something more difficult: the evolution of flight. I'm going to use archaeopteryx, the first known animal with feathers. How did it get feathers and wings? Archaeopteryx probably evolved from a small dinosaur living in trees. On a fluke, one archaeopteryx predecessor (AP) had tiny hairs. If the AP fell from a tree, the hairs would provide a tiny bit of drag and it wouldn't land as hard, so the hair genes would be passed on. The hair gene starts to become predominant, and eventually complexities until it becomes feathers. These animals that are in between species don't die off because they are more fit than what came before. The same thing would have happened with wings. There would be a tiny membrane, not nearly enough to be called wings, maybe webbing between the fingers. This provides slightly more drag and so our AP doesn't land as hard when it falls. This membrane continues to develop until the AP has become a fully-fledged archaeopteryx, an animal capable of gliding from tree to tree.

Your last question is this: if God doesn't exist, why are believers still alive? Why couldn't Hitler kill the Jews? Because people are resilient, and genocide is incredibly difficult. There were millions of Jews before World War II, and they were dispersed all across the world. Not only that, but Hitler had to contend with half of the world attempting to stop him. Life is very persistent. Religious people are everywhere; christians make up about 70% of the population of America. When they have kids, they teach their faith to them. Some of the children may convert to a different religion, and some may become atheists, but the reverse is true as well. The irony here is how similar the progression of religion is to evolution. But that's just my opinion.

RubyRed says...

Again, when you talk about complexity, I can't see how everything could work so perfectly by chance--by an accident. How did our universal laws come about: gravity, physics, ect? If the Big Bang Theory were true... why did it just explode and create a perfectly beautiful world that can sustain life? How did the other planets come about and why can't they sustain life like Earth?

You say that Lucy was proven to be fully ape, but this is simply not the case. The entire reason why the discovery of Lucy was revolutionary is that she was an australopithecus. She had an apelike skull, and was capable of walking upright. The same goes for Homo Habilis, Homo Erectus, and the Neanderthals. They are all in places that are in between human and ape.

That's something that evolutionists speculated. She was the size of a chimpanzee, had a chimp skull, and had curved toes presumably for grasping. Therefore she is considered an extinct ape. Yes, there are several other varieties found but they are uniformly acknowledged to have been extinct apes.

As for Homo Habilis, the fossils found were shattered, and mixed with human fossils. They aren't prove of evolution and a number of evolutionists agree.

Homo erectus or Java man was found by a Dutch scientist and there was only a skull fragment and leg bone found. He lied about him because a human fossil was found in the same rock layer meaning he couldn't be a human ancestor.

For Neanderthals, evolutionists admit he's fully human.

You say that natural selection would eliminate animals that are 'in between species,' but that isn't the case, either. It's easy to justify how animals between apes and humans would survive: they have bigger brains and can run faster than their predecessors.

But humans have smaller brains than some mammals so that doesn't prove animals with bigger brains out live the rest. And what about sloths... they definitely don't run faster than the other predators that live in its area. And why didn't the archaeopteryx stop when it had evolved its wings and keep its strong body structure?

Feltrix says...

I don't know how physics came to be, and I won't pretend otherwise. But directly after the big bang, the universe was complete chaos, and could never be considered perfect, beautiful, or even habitable. Physics is my view for how the universe is the way it is. After atoms form, they bond into tiny objects. They bond with more objects and become bigger (you should probably fact check this, I'm not sure how accurate it is). In any case, they'll have gravity and pull objects closer. This makes a bigger field of gravity and pulls in other pieces of matter. Most atheists believe that's how planets and stars form. It's not random. It's physics. And other planets ARE capable of sustaining life, it's just that it's very rare. It needs to be a certain distance from the sun, have an atmosphere, have liquid water, oxygen, a magnetic field, be a certain size, have it's axis pointed a certain way, and myriad other variables. And then you have to take in the incredible rarity of life actually forming. As far as we know for sure, that has happened once in the 13 billion years that the universe has existed. It's also a bit of a stretch to assume that australopithecus, homo habilis, homo erectus, and neanderthals are all explained by fake or stretched results. And if you look at an ape, you can't say that there are no similarities between them and humans, even without looking at our biologies. We're not even different species, we're a subspecies of the same common ancestor. Also, I agree, bigger brain doesn't mean fitter animal, but proportionally, humans have the biggest amount of our brains devoted to things other than basic vitals. Sperm whales have massive brains, but much of it is devoted to just keeping them alive. And yeah, sloths don't really have any physical capabilities to speak of. They're kind of weird, but I can explain them. They live in a section of the branches of a tree where predators are either too small to be interested in eating them or too heavy to get on the branches and catch the sloth. That way, they can devote all of their time to eating (it takes about a week for a sloth to digest it's food.) And why didn't archaeopteryx keep stronger bones? Because bones are heavy. Archaeopteryx couldn't do more than glide, which is an advantage, but not as much as flying. The reasons things stop evolving are because they either have no natural predators or they have a perfect design. Archaeopteryx didn't apply to either, so it's evolution continued.

RubyRed says...

And if you look at an ape, you can't say that there are no similarities between them and humans, even without looking at our biologies.

I agree that we are very similar; and that many other species are too like horses and giraffes, fish and dolphins, sheep and goats, ect. but I see that as supporting proof for God being the one Creator. Evolution in my mind isn't a bad theory, but that's all it is. There isn't enough to convince me that the earth exploded and over millions of years the earth didn't die while we were taking our time evolving from bacteria. Call me delusional, but I like believing that we are made for a better purpose than just living on Earth to die one day. I know you don't believe the same thing, and I respect that. Thanks for debating with me, and sharing your thoughts! :D

Sat May 06, 2017 12:25 am
Atticus wrote a review...

Hey there Keepwring,

MJ here for a quick review because I love this topic and because one more review till my third star! . I love this topic because it's something I feel strongly about and something I'm very motivated to share about and talk about. I believe that there is a God who loves us and wants the best for us, so much so that he sent his son to die on the cross for our sins. However, I feel like there are a lot of people who see the Christian message as, "God's good, you're not, try harder." I'll try to directly address and challenge the points you made in this essay on both sides- a devil's advocate position to try and make your argument stronger. So here are some of my main points:

I think this is a pretty controversial statement to make, especially without any proof. I know some atheists who do not believe in the Big Bang Theory, and making such an unproven assumption can become dangerous in an essay.

However, no fossils have been found even to this day that have been proven to be the links between species
While I understand what you're saying, there have been a few claims that fossils have been found that show 'crosses' between animals, like giraffes with short necks and 'frogamanders'. I've put a link to one of those websites down below.
http://www.livescience.com/3306-fossils ... heory.html

And a quick compliment here- I loved how you fairly and accurately explained the different views of atheism and Christianity, without bias. One of my mild pet peeves is when people state that they don't believe in Christianity because it seems farfetched, then proceed to give a totally inaccurate summary of Christianity. You clearly knew what each belief was and expressed it well, so good job there.

Another side note while we're sidetracked, I would recommend The Case for A Creator by Lee Strobel if you were interested in reading more about this. I've read portions of it myself and hope to be able to read the rest of it soon. It prompted a lot of questions about things I've always believed in myself, and ultimately it was a great and in-depth book about proving atheism or Christianity.

I'm slightly confused on your conclusion. To clarify, you personally are a Christian but believe that there is no proof to either science? That seems illogical to me. Personally, I believe there is a God. But He isn't just my personal and separate God; He's the God who rules and sustains everything, who loves me more than I could ever imagine and without condition although I am a hopeless sinner, and loves you too. We are not just mammals and collections of matter; we are beings with a purpose, a destiny, and a soul. There is a plan for every single minute of my life that was planned out before the beginning of time to bring glory to Him, and eventually He will come back again and take me to be with him forever and dole out the appropriate punishments to all the unbelievers. That is my position, and I will defend it with everything I have. But your position takes more of a believe-what-you-want-to-believe. Atheism both doesn't make sense to me and also promotes the idea that our moral boundaries are only the moral boundaries necessary to survive and continue the human race. But that isn't really ethical, and to me doesn't promote a loving and caring society.

Hopefully I was helpful, even though most of that was a long rant about my personal beliefs. I tried to mix in some things about your essay, but either way, thanks for putting this out there and inviting debate and reviews!

Best wishes,
MJ

RubyRed says...

Thanks for your review MJ. The reasoning for my conclusion at the end was that I can't prove God to be real to someone, but maybe I should just go out and say that. I believe everyone truly knows their is a God and either rejects Him or in my case allows Him to be a part of my life on earth. The reason for this essay wasn't to prove God to anyone because I know how frustrating it was when people tried to preach to me all the time. The reason was to make people think, but I guess my points are fairly weak to accomplish the affect I wanted.... Thanks for your time. :)

inktopus says...

I read your review (obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be commenting on this). I noticed that you feel that God gives human lives a meaning and morals. I can see how you may think that, but as an atheist, I can't help but disagree. It has been observed that other animals (primates in particular) form relationships with one another and have a vague moral code. I remember reading somewhere (fact check me, please) that dogs avoided selfish people when presented with a situation where two humans would play the roles of a selfish person and a generous person and the dog would watch the scenario play out. I think that morals are something that are ingrained in humans. Obviously you learn from your parents, but I feel that kindness has brought us to where we are today. The human race would have never reached the point we are at now if we hadn't helped each other and worked together. I don't think God gives life meaning, especially as I, a nonbeliever, feel that I have plenty of purpose in life. Even as I think that there was no particular reason that I was put on this earth, I'm going to use this opportunity to help my fellow humans.

RubyRed says...

But dogs also eat the fecal matter of other animals and their own. Not to mention their own vomit, and neither of those are health for the dog. Humans don't do that. And primates pee on people, and some even tear people to shreds. Meaning they don't respect humans till they're punished in a way that they don't repeat that action again. Humans all naturally have respect for the earth and animals.

Atticus says...

The reason I say that is because if there is no god, what is the point in life? Sure, you may be able to accomplish a lot, but even if you make revolutionary discoveries and become the next Thomas Edison or Benjamin Franklin, people will forget your name. You'll die, and that will be the end. You might be remembered for a few hundred years, maybe even thousands- but when it boils down to it, you are so insignificant that there is no point to your life unless you were serving something bigger and better. Humans are clearly and unarguably much more intelligent than any other animal, and we were made so complexly it seems impossible to me that there is not a masterful and wonderful creator behind it all. I'm taking a course on life science right now, and it's amazing how complex our bodies are and if one tiny detail was different or even just slightly varied, we would never have survived and never have been able to live beyond just one day. And to go beyond that, I believe that Christian laws promote the ideal society because they don't just tell you what NOT to do, they tell you what TO do. Rather than simply saying "Don't steal from the poor," (although the Bible does say that), they say, "Give to the poor." That kind of worldview and attitude will lead to a loving and forgiving society, the kind of society where I-got-your-back and you-got-my-back, a trusting and loving community. That is the type of community I want to live in and contribute to.

Thanks for your time & best wishes,
MJ

Lael says...

I absolutely believe God exists. Even when my path is tiring or sometimes I feel distant from Him, He's still there all the same. This article made my day! And I'm so glad you're a part of God's family.

And speaking of C.S. Lewis, I love this quote of his from Mere Christianity:
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."

My the Lord bless you, and have a wonderful day! ;)

RubyRed says...

Aww, thank you, deary. :D That's like my sec favorite quote from him. ;)

Fri May 05, 2017 4:16 am
rosette says...

This little comment you said totally popped out to me. Out of the whole essay. No, I don't know why either. XD
The people in my family wavered in faith often at the time, and the Christian friends I knew seemed to have harder lives than my friends who weren't Christian. I didn't want to go through the things they were going through, and I believed the reasons they were going through so much heartache was because they were relying on someone who wasn't there for them--God.

It's so true! Christians have a very hard and trying life, when looked at from outside. And inside. And yes, God is there. To be honest, at those hard times in my life, (or in others), that's when I (or according to them) feel God most and rely on him most. He's just putting us through these trials to purge us of something, or draw us closer to Him, or whatever. I don't know. Actually, I've heard some preachers say that God will totally bless the lives of those who don't believe in Him to draw them in. He is constantly trying to make himself attractive.
Anyway, that was my random thought/sermon to throw at you. XD
have a great day

Thu May 04, 2017 10:07 pm
Brigadier wrote a review...

Hey there Keepwriting and greetings from the After Watch shift. It's just lizzy dropping by real quick, so without a further ado, let the reviewing begin.

I am, as a very dear friend once described me, a Catholic except for the part about believing in God. I have danced around through Christianity and Atheism and also this short period as being Agnostic. And with those facts in mind (as well as the lit mod thing), I feel qualified to review this essay.

Storm has already gone really in depth with the grammar so let's just turn to content. The overall idea of this thing, sounds more like a personal reflection type of essay than anything else. And in that manner, it's not really attractive to me because it sounds more like a search to place blame than anything else. You sort of bounce between a search for personal belief and asking a lot of the audience, which also strikes me as odd. Because this is supposed to be about a personal battle of faith but it doesn't really come off that way, so you may want to re-examine the style of writing this.

And another big thing is, that half of your statements sound offensive to either one party or the other. Take the one in the quote below:

Christians always seemed to blame God for their problems, or look weird in the way that they acted—raising their hands, and swaying in churches.

1. Blame is a really strong way to go and isn't really a term I'd use to describe most of the Christians I've met. I've been to services all around the south, I'm friends with people from many different sects and I'd never describe their negative feelings towards God as blame. It's a bit more like regret or really spiteful questioning but to blame, is taking it an entire step further.
2. "look weird in the way that they acted"
Besides the fact that this sentence was so awkwardly worded, it's just another thing that comes out so spiteful and judgmental of good people. So we sing and dance and shout Hallelujah. It's a bit hectic and crazy at times but to me weird is just another one of those things, where the description is stepping over another line.

He was crucified on the cross for the sins of the whole world.

I suppose this part was referring to Jesus Christ but the thing is, even though this is right, it's also not right. Because in the way that we try to separate out Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit, they can't really be separated. There's a good quote from one of my least favorite movies about how the different beliefs view the God/Jesus/Holy Spirit combo, which I've placed in the spoiler below.
Religion is a really hard thing to break down and most of the time it shouldn't be. I mean I'm assuming you're going into this essay with the idea that most people know the relation of the different factors of 'God'. Otherwise, most of the information here about Christians and Atheists, kind of seems inaccurate and only coming from how you perceive them to be. I realize most of this was an opinion essay but you might want to get your facts all lined up and ready to support the main topic, before you move onto editing.

Catholic Clergyman: Christ is more properly referred to as the SON of God.
Eddie Mannix: Not sure I follow, Padre.
Rabbi: Young man, you don't follow for a very simple reason; these men are screwballs. God has children? What, and a dog? A collie, maybe? God doesn't have children. He's a bachelor. And VERY angry.
Protestant Clergyman: He USED to be angry.
Rabbi: What, he got over it?
Catholic Clergyman: You worship the god of another age!
Catholic Clergyman: Who has no love!
Rabbi: Not true! He likes Jews.

And I guess that's really all I have for tonight. As usual, if you want to talk about this review, just shoot me a pm.
Have a nice day.
~Lady Lizz

RubyRed says...

Thank you so much for your time, LadyLizzLovelace! I see what you mean. You have very valid points that should be applied to this ASAP. And I guess it does come off as offensive and odd in some ways... You're review was very, very helpful! Thank you! :D

Brigadier says...

I should also note that a Catholic priest and mathematician named Georges Lemaitre, was the one who developed the Big Bang theory. He was good friends with Einstein after years of rivalry. Catholics are well connected to the science world, of few of the ones I know on the site are biologists or chemists, Snoink is one of them. You make it sound like a science and a belief are so far separate but they're not. And some atheists tend to twist actual scientific results into supporting their own theories so you can't really talk to exclusively one side or the other.
Most of the reviews you have gotten are debate and filled with clutter or verses. If you'd like to discuss actual facts some time, drop me a line.

Thu May 04, 2017 9:43 pm
Featherstone wrote a review...

Hello, Fea here to review!

Wow! Awesome essay! The hook was awesome, and it is well-structured with good grammar & punctuation. It's interesting and makes sense to read. The ending with the question is great!

The one typo I caught was the first sentence of the third paragraph where you speak of CS Lewis and his being an atheist; there it says 'he was an Atheists.' It shouldn't be plural ^_^

Personally, I'm an agnostic atheist - I don't believe in a god but I don't deny the fact that there's a possibility one exists. For me, Christianity and the Bible seem to sometimes be illogical or irrational - the main reason I don't believe in it - but I think it's really awesome that you looked at both sides and decided which one worked for you. Kudos to you for finding your own belief and exploring both sides *thumbs up*

Nice work!

~ Fea

RubyRed says...

Thank you, Fea! I'm glad to hear another person's opinions! :D

Featherstone says...

No problem, it's my pleasure! If you ever want to discuss the topic of religion/beliefs I'd be happy to talk about it with you, too - it's something I personally find very fascinating. :D

RubyRed says...

I'd be willing to talk about anything, sure. :D

Thu May 04, 2017 9:39 pm
inktopus wrote a review...

Hey, Keepwriting! Storm here with a review, so let's jump right into it!

I'll start the review with this: I am an atheist. I grew up believing in God, but after 13 years, I moved away from it all. I couldn't keep lying to myself and telling myself that I believed anymore. So while I am an atheist, most of my family is Christian and I have a lot of knowledge of the Bible.

My life has never been the sweetest and certainly not as of late because of the struggles of life.

This sentence is worded quite awkwardly, and it's even more evident because it's your first sentence. It just needs to be reworded.

Though I grew up around Christian and Catholic influences, I've always had a mind of my own.

While Catholics are different from the other sects of Christians, they still fall under the umbrella term, 'Christian.'

I had to decided for myself whether He was real or not.

Wrong form of 'to decide'. It's just 'decide.'

I read about C.S. Lewis when he was an Atheists.

First of all, 'atheist' should not be capitalized. Second, you don't need the 's' at the end of the word.

Christians always seemed to blame God for their problems, or look weird in the way that they acted—raising their hands, and swaying in churches. I didn’t want to be like that so I looked at evolution.

I couldn't help but find this funny. You didn't want to blame your problems on God or look weird? That's the reason you turned to evolution?

With evolution studied and found utterly based on theories and supposed "facts" I looked to Christianity.

Actually, theories in science are considered fact. Dictionary.com defines scientific theory as this: a coherent group of propositions formulated to explain a group of facts or phenomena in the natural world and repeatedly confirmed through experiment or observation. Evolution is a scientific theory, which means that experiments and observation have proven the idea to be true. I can’t guess what you mean by "facts," but if it has been accepted as fact by many different scientists and has been published in peer-reviewed scientific articles, then these "facts" are usually reliable and true.

And with that the conclusion I came to was that both Atheism and Christianity are a faith—the belief in something; and that neither side can prove to the other which is right, but that each and every individual has to decide for himself which is true.

I am afraid that your conclusion that atheism is a faith is just not true. It rubs many atheists the wrong way when someone tells them that atheists have faith that God does not exist. Atheism is a lack of faith. I don't have faith that God exists. There just simply is not enough proof to convince me.

Overall, this was an interesting essay, but if you're going to attempt to refute atheism with facts, you’re going to need to quote sources. If you don't, your essay is not going to be seen as credible. Your grammar in this was not very good. I'd recommend reading through it several times, having someone else look at it, or running it through an online grammar checker.

Feel free to ask any questions you have in a reply to this review or in a pm.

~Storm

RubyRed says...

Thank you very much for pointing out my errors, Storm! I wrote this in quite a hurry so I guess it is more of a rough draft. Glad you took the time to review my essay. :)

inktopus says...

No problem!

RubyRed says...

So I mended all the grammar probs you pointed out and that I could find but I couldn't find a grammar checker site... so do you perhaps have a link to one?

RubyRed says...

Thanks again :)

Thu May 04, 2017 9:39 pm
SnowGhost says...

I totally apsolutly and completly believe God exist. I see him everywhere and in every thing. I feel sorry for those who do not believe in heaven and Christ second coming for they have nothing to look foward too. If i didnt believe in God or heaven i would probebly think my life pointles with no perpose, think the world pointless with no perpose but to make evil. I dont see how the Big Bang Theory could be much considerd as the way we where made, where did all the particles and things come from?. I ask this quiston as a christian but a non believer could ask where God came from and my ansewer would be that God didnt come from anywhere, he was the first being to make something come from something else, he created creating so we could understand the process so we could create our own things on earth to survive. God could have made the earh out of nothing, make Adam out of nothing but no he invenented creating so that we might understand better. Its harder to believe that Adam was made of nothing then it is to believe he was made from the ground.

RubyRed says...

Well, said I'm glad to see someone who shares in my beliefs. Don't forget to like my work if you enjoyed reading it. :)

Thu May 04, 2017 9:32 pm
AlyTheBookworm says...

I am also Catholic. :)

I've always been really curious, always looked for the reason behind things. I'd have to know how something worked, where it came from, or its purpose. So I have moments where I wonder about God, and for the thousandth time, come to the conclusion that it makes no sense for there to NOT be a God.

How does everything come from nothing? It had to come from something. Not something- because how can a THING decide to create without something else to force it to- It'd have to be a someone. And to create everything, that someone would need complete understanding and control of everything that exists or could exist. He would be God, eternal, with no beginning or end. Any other explanation has huge holes. Like you said, where did the particle come from? Where did the rules of science come from? Everything works so perfectly and every little thing has a purpose, so I can't believe in a Big Bang. Makes a lot less sense than the existence of God.

That was really ramble-y, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyways. That is my thought process when I feel some doubt, and I always come back to the fact that there has to be a God. It is the easier choice to believe that we have no purpose. That it all came from nothing, so nothing we do matters. But honestly, it's better to believe that life is more than that. I'd rather live my life with faith and hope, and know I have a purpose- to better myself and the people around me, to love.

inktopus says...

I know this will probably irritate you, but I can't resist asking. Where did God come from? Does God have a God? Does God's God have a God? If the universe had to be created by a God, does God need to have an origin too?

Glad you asked, actually.
There is a common argument by christian apologetics that there would have to be one constant that caused everything else. Or else you're going to have to keep asking "If something created everything, than where did that thing come from?.." and what created that? And on, and on, etc. There has to be something that has always been and always will be, that had no origin, it is THE cause of everything and was not caused by anything else. To create everything else, the thing would have to be sentient, all-powerful, and all-knowing. So we get God.
There are people who explain this argument a lot better than I can, but I think it makes sense that there would have to be something constant for anything else to exist. Confusing, but hey, we're talking about the origin of the universe!

inktopus says...

But then you're back where you started. The entire reason you turned to God was because the earth needed an origin. God essentially is the Big Bang, only one is grounded in observation and fact and the other is based on a book written thousands of years ago by people with little to no understanding of science.

No, not really.
The difference is that God is sentient and that the Big Bang is not. What caused that single particle to cause the Big Bang? Things without sentience, will, or life can't think or decide to do something. Something else acts on them or they won't act. So the universe had to start with something sentient, that could make the decision to act and create, and that is God. Also, the existence of God is separate from the bible. You don't need to believe in everything the bible teaches to believe there is a God. (As a Catholic, I do believe in much of what the bible teaches tho)

RubyRed says...

Aly I agree with you on that. Well said.

Feltrix says...

Something doesn't have to have sentience to happen. The big bang didn't decide to happen. That's just how physics work. You take a pen, hold it in the air, and let go. Does it fall? Yes (if no, I am interested to see why your pen is suspended in space.) Anyway, the pen didn't decide to fall, just like the big bang didn't decide to happen. The point is, the big bang isn't an a creator, it's an event, just like the pen falling.

RubyRed says...

Feltrix, but how did the laws of physics begin? Did the universe just decide it wanted to abide by the laws of gravity?

That's also my question. Where did science and such clear, unbreakable rules come from? Everything works perfectly and it had to have been designed by someone with sentience. Things don't "just happen". Whatever you believe about God, what He's like, and whether you worship Him or not, I don't think any other explanation than the existence of a God makes sense. At all.
(And in reply to "Did the universe just decide it wanted..", that would make it sentient, right? Because THINGS can't decide to create life. :/)

Feltrix says...

You have an excellent 'why?' point, there. That's the biggest point against science, and something I've wondered, myself. Why do the laws of physics work the way they do? Here's my honest answer: I have no way of knowing. I won't pretend otherwise. There are plenty of things that I can't explain. But I can explain the big bang. Sort of.

Okay, I may go into some scientific evidence that is rather hazy, but I think it makes sense. Feel free to check it somewhere else. So, let's think about what it was like before the big bang: there's no space, no time, no dimensions, not enough light to cast shadow. It's incomprehensible to the human mind. All we have is a point, a point that's infinitely small, but contains all energy. All the energy and matter that will ever be condensed to a single point smaller than an atom. It (seems to me like this) is incredibly unstable, of course it is. It is literally everything all at once. It can't sustain itself, so it expands, converting energy into matter and antimatter. You can find all this in a textbook, so I won't continue into it, but if you research the theories of redshift and cosmic microwave background radiation as well as the simulations done by particle accelerators on the ratio of the elements.

Now, I'm going to appeal to you as though I believed in God. I don't, but I feel as though this makes sense, to some degree. Why would the big bang happen? Where would the singularity come from? God would create it. How would evolution occur? By God's will. If there were only two humans creating the entire human population, then we would all have mutations (that happens when an offspring comes from two siblings), everyone would be white, and we'd all kind of look the same. This is not the case, but I can't scientifically explain what sparked life or where the singularity that caused the big bang came from. It seems like a logical compromise that God could create these things.

As I said before, I don't believe that God caused the big bang or life, but I can't offer a better explanation, and we'll never get anywhere if no one makes a compromise.

I strongly believe that the universe was designed by God. Sadly, there's no clear and obvious answer to the question or any solid proof. People are always going to have doubts- and I can get that. Still, I enjoy debating it because it helps me understand and strengthen my own beliefs. It's good to understand other people's beliefs as well. Glad to have talked about it with you guys.

It's unsettling to know how little separates each of us from another life altogether.
— Wes Moore, The Other Wes Moore