z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Stylistic Choice

by Virgil


CAPITALIZATION & PUNCTUATION
are a stylistic choice in poetry.
Meaning, i can write like This--
if I want to, & you can't STOP
ME!!!


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
145 Reviews


Points: 402
Reviews: 145

Donate
Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:45 pm
Thisislegacy wrote a review...



Stopping by for a review.

I honestly think this has a good meaning but like others have said; it is difficult to read and interpret what you mean. I also dislike the fact that you didn't take it any further than that statement. You could have taken it a lot further such as adding an imaginative verse with nontraditional use of punctuation and capitalization to show how it works.




User avatar
279 Reviews


Points: 25891
Reviews: 279

Donate

User avatar
41 Reviews


Points: 1988
Reviews: 41

Donate
Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:55 pm
View Likes
silverhanded says...



This is my favorite poem




User avatar


Points: 84
Reviews: 3

Donate

User avatar
63 Reviews


Points: 723
Reviews: 63

Donate
Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:59 am
View Likes
amelie says...



Hi Nikayla just stopping by to review. So first of all this is a lovely piece of work and don't change a thing<3
Okay on with the review
I think the message is pretty misleading. Like since when don't we capitalize and punctuate our poetry to match up with standard English language rules? Whatever, I'd never just disregard capitalization or proper punctuation like ever in poetry so good luck in life. But that's just me. js.
-amelie.




User avatar
27 Reviews


Points: 61
Reviews: 27

Donate
Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:12 pm
View Likes
spectator says...



tag urself




Saruka says...


the lowercase i and the uppercase This in the same sentence



Hannah says...


best comment thread.



User avatar
863 Reviews


Points: 29221
Reviews: 863

Donate
Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:44 pm
View Likes
Morrigan wrote a review...



Heyo Nikayla, stopping by to review.

I think that this is a tragedy. I don't understand how you can disrespect the art form that is Poetry like this. Of course capitalization is actually a tool of meter, and your meter is all over the place. Despicable.

In all seriousness, I appreciate very much the point you are trying to make, but honestly it could be taken the opposite way. Because of the capitalization choice you made within the poem, it is actually difficult to read. Because it is difficult to read, that might actually support the view that capitalization should be standardized in poetry.

To remedy this situation, I might actually make different capitalization choices throughout the poem. For instance, you could have one line with no caps, one line with all caps, one line with every word capitalized, and so forth. I think that this would also further illustrate the amount of diverse things you can do with capitalization in poetry.

Also for sure capitalize one I and leave the other i. That'll get to 'em.

I hope that this review proves useful to you in your quest to Destroy the Haters (tm). Happy writing!




Virgil says...


Thanks so much for the review! I'll definitely take your suggestions into account and re-edit it to support the message more.



User avatar
745 Reviews


Points: 1626
Reviews: 745

Donate
Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:40 pm
View Likes
Lumi wrote a review...



Yo Nikayla. It's been a hot minute.

I get your message, and I appreciate it, but there's a lot of unforgivable flow here that needs to be addressed before this really has any impact on the reader. Your line breaks are made as if to create symmetry instead of breathing flow. Your punctuation gives unnecessary linger and pause and hold, and I'm a bit disappointed in your lack of imagery or any motifs at all beyond your statement.

Because that's all you've given us: a statement. Certainly not your best work. What if you were to redraw this into a creative piece that utterly enveloped the reader and brought the point into their head organically? I believe that would be more effective; it's always worth an experiment--though in this case, I'd say it's more of a necessary operation.

I also apologize for the generic review, but you didn't leave author's notes and I wasn't sure what you were looking for. Maybe we can discuss this later in a poetry jam.

Hope this helps,
Ty




Virgil says...


It's not generic! Also, thanks so much! I've taken your input into account in my edits of the piece.



User avatar
766 Reviews


Points: 650
Reviews: 766

Donate
Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:38 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...



Image
To do what you may ask? Bother you with a review of course.




User avatar
373 Reviews


Points: 46306
Reviews: 373

Donate
Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:33 pm
View Likes
PrincessInk says...



You succeeded in making this funny XD




Virgil says...


Thanks so much! c: Glad it made you laugh.



User avatar
235 Reviews


Points: 2200
Reviews: 235

Donate
Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:32 pm
View Likes
inktopus says...



this is sad. ee cummings would be disappointed.

Spoiler! :
hehe, i love you for doing this




Virgil says...


He would be disappointed if he were still alive, but he's not! :p



inktopus says...


blasphemy!!!!!




We do have funerals for the living. They're called birthday parties.
— Jill Biden (fictitiously), Hope Never Dies