12+

Let Me Tell You The Truth About This Summer

by Virgil

I've been sleeping on the living room couch
arm dangling onto the floor and I haven't been outside
forĀ a couple of days. I no longer nostalgize over
the smell of chlorine when dipping toes into the pool
for the first time in months, too afraid to show any skin.
I no longer ask the driver to pull over to the side of the road
when feeling sick because I haven't went anywhere in months.

I can no longer claim that summer is more than
staying up on sleepless nights and speaking
less than five words a day to the family
orbiting around me (I circle them just the same).

Still, I've learned so much new! How did that happen?
How did that happen while confined to this decaying house?
How did I learn more about for years too many to count?

Let me tell you the truth about this summer:
I've peeked out for the window for snipers
too many times to count and I can still hear
cicadas screech and bullfrogs croak
hours after their reign outside my window.

Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:27 am
klennon14 wrote a review...

Hi there! Here for quick review.

I really enjoyed reading your piece. I think you utilize creative word choice and original lines of thinking in many of these stanzas. However, there are a few areas in which I might change the syntax around a bit. Some of the lines bordered on being wordy or a bit awkward. Other than that, your grammar is overall good, as well as your word choice.

Structurally, this poem is pretty sound. It flows quite nicely and I don't see anything that really needs to be fixed with the structure.

Nice piece, and good job!

Happy writing,

Kali L.

Brigadier wrote a review...

Hey there Nikayla. I'm here to catch up on all of those reviews that I've missed in the green room and now won't get the points for. Everything has been picked over pretty well so I really don't have that much to say. Well there's no time like the present.

So as I've criticized your more developed and perfected poems in the past, I will be totally honest about my overall opinion on this, not even slightly beating around the bush. Overall, I liked this. But there are some things that come with this because there were certain parts I didn't like, that just eventually were overthrown by the good parts.

I started out with reviewing this one because of the title because it spoke to me a bit more than the other ones, not sounding quite as cryptic as the rest. I like cryptic, for the most part, just not when I see it applied to your titles. Perhaps because you're my friend is why this bothers me more than the average poem that I would see walking down the street. When I hear the backstories to a poem, the title makes more sense. This one makes sense without a backstory so maybe that's why it doesn't stick with me very much.
In simpler terms, at a first glance it sticks out from the pack, but once the poem develops, it falls into suit with the rest. I've read so much of your poetry at this point that it just fades together and your style has become uniform. I really don't think you were going for uniform.

The imagery is kind of here and there, my usual conclusion on imagery in a work like this. Having he good elements of adding slight details while also adding drag as the poem is trying to take flight. The punctuation also sorts of floats around, not really adding that much of an effect for most of the piece, looking like you out it there for the hell of it. Some spots looks like you should have put something but decided against it because of how it would affect the image. Such a place being in the first line between couch and arm. To me there would be more of a natural pause there than already added by the line cut.

Yeah I guess that's really all I have for now. Have to work towards that next star one review at a time. I'll see you soon.
<3
~Lizz

Hi Nikayla! I enjoyed reading this, especially for some of the summertime imagery you have in here. So I wanted to leave some of my impressions:

I loved the first stanza especially. The image of the speaker rolling off the coach and being stuck inside and sick of the summer is strong image to start with, setting the tone for the rest of the piece.

My main suggestion would be to take another look at the time transitions in this piece. I think the time transition is a bit inconsistent and makes me a bit confused as to whether they ever did anything this summer, or if its a new problem that they're bored/not content. For example in line 3 the speaker says "for a couple days" they haven't been outside, then it says they are dipping toes into the pool for the "first time in months" and then they observe they "haven't went anywhere in months"... some of this seems contradictory. I don't know if time is passing during the poem? Or if maybe they have a pool at their house? I would maybe change them all to "months" or make it transition so the first one is days, second is weeks, and third is months. I'm also a bit bothered that I'm not sure whether the speaker is observing that they haven't done anything, or that they're just sick about everything that they're doing. I wonder if you could make this more clear from the first stanza, since I'm not sure what the ambiguity adds.

I would also suggest taking another look at making the stanzas connect a bit more.
Moving to the second stanza, I like the image of a family orbiting around one another, not quite touching or really being close enough to appreciate each other. But I wish that it was connected more to other two stanzas. For me, the middle two stanzas seem like a separate story than the bookends.

I read the first stanza as saying, I'm sick or disillusioned with the summer. The second stanza is saying, I'm not connecting with my family this summer. And then the third stanza is questioning or trying to sort out all they've learned this summer with what they're lacking, and trying to rationalize the passing of time. And then the final stanza is giving some reason for why they haven't got out this summer, because the outside is terrorizing the speaker. I find the conflict in stanza 2 and stanza 4 to be a bit contradictory -- is the problem what is inside or outside the home? [I realize I might be just missing some part of the picture though]

I think overall you've established a somewhat consistent tone but I'd like to see more connections in the conflict and story of the piece. What exactly is the speaker's problem and what is the "truth" about summer that they are trying to communicate?

For me I have a hard time figuring out how the third stanza connects especially, I think maybe because there haven't been questions in the preceding part of the poem, and then it's taking on some new subjects.

Although I had a hard time understanding the "story" of the poem, I will say that I very very much enjoyed reading it nontheless. The metaphor of a family orbiting is really clever, and then the juxtaposition of the bullfrogs and cicadas to snipers is also nice. Great job Nikayla, and if you have any questions of comments about my review, please feel free to let me know! :)

Best,
~alliyah

Steggy wrote a review...

Hello, Dino here for a short review!

What a marvelous poem and even wonderful read. The imagery was very nice through this bit and quite frankly, I enjoyed the first stanza mainly because it seems a bit powerful and I enjoy that a lot. Now, let's go through this poem line by line, I suppose.

for a couple of days.

What I enjoyed most about this is the simplicity of it and it opens the poem quite nicely. However, if I could suggest one thing, it could be to place a comma after couch because it seems to fit just right there; kind of like a breather of some sort. Another suggestion that I have would be to change the wording of the last line to something like for a couple weeks because for a couple days, it seems like that isn't that much of a time lapse, if that makes sense.

I no longer nostalgize over

Autocorrect doesn't like the world nostalgize I also like this portion of the poem, too. I feel like the whole poem, in my own reading, feels like something of a fond memory someone could be having when they used to go out in the summer light or something. I could be wrong with the whole meaning of it. xP With the more lines following after this one, the repeating of the words I no longer goes back to what I saying, also.

Now with this bit, it feels a bit awkward, especially with the lines speaking/ less than five words a day to the family / orbiting around me (I circle them just the same). I think it might be referring to the family as the family instead of my family . I don't know it might just be me with finding that awkward but it couldn't help to change that.

This line also seems a bit too wordy. Wording it to something like How did I learn more about the many years that were to much to count? or something similar? Maybe you could even have two lines.

too many times to count

While I do like this line, it doesn't quite seem to fit in with what is happening in this poem (although it could be the pure imagination of the narrator). Maybe change it to something that could deal with summer, like the activities you could do during the summertime.

Overall, this was a lovely poem! I really enjoyed the whole idea of it; kind of like an introverts way of saying how summer is to them.

If you have any questions, let me know!

Dino

Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:42 pm
Machupicchu14 wrote a review...

Hi!
Machupicchu here for a quick review.

First of all, great poem and I like the them you have chosen and the way you have developed it. Really enjoyed reading it!

I find that both grammar and spelling are quite good so can't say anything about that.

I love the way you start with the poem and how you keep the reader on suspense throughout the poem wondering whether the writer's summer was interesting or not (maybe a waste of time which thankfully enough it didn't turn out so), therefore making the end so delightful.
You really learn a lot of things even if you do not travel and just stay where you are. Everyday in life is learning.

I like how you use the senses. Cicadas screeching brings so many nice memories to me!! The vivid imagery was exceptional as well.

Congratulations! :D

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it.
— Christopher Darlington Morley