Life As A Two-Finned Freak ~ Chapter 2

by KaylaLovesATL_x

TWO

‘Why did you not reply last night?’ Alana was off on one of her rampages again. I wasn’t listening. Again. I was concentrating on my feet as we trudged along the usual route to school. Hopefully she wouldn’t know it was because I was trying to think of something to tell her. Hopefully she would think it’s because I was sorry.

‘So now tell me… If only he knew what?’ Alana’s rampage had come to an end. I prayed she would buy my lame excuse.

‘That I’ve never kissed a boy before.’ Not that it would matter to Connor. He was so laidback…

‘Yes you have! Remember Josh? But I suppose you wouldn’t count that as a kiss…’ she came to a sudden stop, ‘Don’t lie to me, Trixie!’ she literally took hold of my arm and flung me round to face her.

She was about Connors height. Almost everyone was taller than me. I was kinda small for my age.

I was so tempted to tell Alana. She was my best friend for crying out loud! Taking a deep breath, I said, ‘Do you believe in mermaids?’

A perplexed look fell over her face, ‘Well, I’m not sure. I’ve never exactly seen one.’

I could change that, ‘Come in for me after school. I have something to show you. I’m not sure how you’re gonna take it.’ I sighed in relief as she nodded and went, ‘I can handle it.’ and then we carried on in peace, like we never even had that conversation. I must be insane.

We arrived about ten minutes before the bell so we met up with our friends, Kelly, Donna and Milly, at the steps leading up to the main doors of the school. Kelly and Milly hall were twins. Totally identical. Milly was more like me, a bit fierce, not girly and quite feisty. Whereas Kelly was a total drama queen. Along with her best friend Donna Wilson, they always had all the gossip on everything and everyone.

‘Guys! Omigod, did you hear? About Connor?’ as per usual, at the mention of Connor, my heart and stomach did a trapeze act and I’m suddenly all ears. Donna would obviously know anything about Connor since Donna’s brother was part of his little group.

‘No.’ I acted casual because nobody in the world, except Alana, my cat, my dog and Aleesha (Alana’s little sister) knew that I was in love with Connor Silverman.

‘Well.’ they all leaned in as Kelly lowered her voice to a whisper, but I stayed where I was. I could hear her as clear as if she was standing next to me, ‘He has a huge crush on someone! He says it could possibly be love!’ my heart sank like the Titanic. I couldn’t stop the sadness escaping onto my face. Alana cast one look at my crumpled face and said quickly, ‘Did he say who?’ Donna spoke up this time.

‘Not yet. He says he’s gonna ask her out at the disco tonight.’ she trilled in her high voice, ‘Rumour has it that she’s a real stunner. Just like you, Trixie!’ I snorted. Me. A stunner? Sure.

‘Ooh! It might be you, Trixie! We are so jealous. I mean, Connor is fine!’ Kelly giggled. My little heart picked up it’s own pieces and mended itself upon hearing this. In fact, it was practically soaring by the time the news had sunk in.

I looked at Alana from the corner of my eye and noticed her grinning at me. This caused me to break out in a huge smile and - for some odd reason - go as red as Donna’s nails and they were really a brilliant shade of crimson.

‘Trixie, you’ve gone red. You alright?’ Donna wasn’t the brightest spark around so I was glad that she couldn’t add two and two together.

‘Yeah, I’m fine! Just, you know, the heat. Getting to my head. Come on, Alana! Bye guys.’ I dragged Alana away from our friends. Once we were out of sight of them and earshot of everyone else, I started laughing.

‘Alana Johnson, I hate you!’ I smiled.

‘I didn’t do anything!’ she smirked and I knew she was hiding something from me.

‘What did he really say last night, AJ?’ this was what all her close friends called her. She sighed and opened her mouth to tell me when the bell rang. I may have to destroy the person who invented school bells.

For once in my life, I actually wanted to stay in French. Because PE was next. Eep! Even though I had a note, what if I got splashed sitting watching? Just before I started hyperventilating, I calmed down because I remembered that Connor was in my PE class.

I spotted Connor walking alone in the corridor towards PE. I ran to catch up with him.

‘Hey, Connor! How’s it going?’

‘Trixie! Hey, it’s all good thanks. You?’ I couldn’t believe I was actually alone with Connor. Just me and him. This was a first.

‘Quite good actually.’ I took a deep breath, ‘So I heard you were asking out some girl at the disco tonight?’

‘Yeah. If she’s there. I think she’s going. Who told you?’

‘Kelly and Donna obviously.’ I laughed and he smiled.

‘Of course. They know everything. You’re in my PE class right?’ he swept his hair off his face and looked down at me. Whoa. I’d never noticed how gorgeous his eyes were. A deep chocolate brown, but they shone and sparkled like a precious jewel.

‘Yeah.’ my mouth had gone dry and my pulse had quickened. After looking into his eyes, I felt warm, fuzzy and a bit dizzy.

‘Ugh. Swimming today.’ he rolled his eyes. I smiled inwardly to myself. This was going so well, like having a conversation with Keiran Porter, Connor’s best friend, who I just happened to be get on really well with.

‘Yeah, I’m not doing it though.’ I nodded in what I thought was a sad way. Aw, he looked concerned!

‘Why not?’

‘Earache.’ I lied smoothly. I’d be doing a lot of that from now on. We reached the line forming outside the centre door.

Connor nodded, ‘Sure. Get better soon. Bye.’ He went to stand with his friends. I handed in my note and joined the line next to Alana.

Through the centre door was a corridor, then another door and through that second door was a large hall where we went to do all the things we couldn’t do in the school gym. After that, you go through the big hall, down a set of stairs, through another door and you’re at the pool. That’s how you get there from school anyway.

I was sitting behind a little barrier watching everyone having a good time. They’d been given a free period. I gave Alana a little wave and then Connor caught my attention. He was such a good diver. And did I mention he has a killer six pack?

It was break next. Alana jokingly shook her wet hair and a few drops landed on my arm. Gasping, I hurriedly scrubbed them off, getting rid of the tingling that had started in my legs.

‘Don’t ever do that again.’ I growled at Alana. The look I gave her was enough.

‘Sorry! what’s wrong, Trix? You’ve been acting weird all morning.’ Alana brushed her hair back into a ponytail and stared at me, her gaze boring into mine. Guess who looked away first?

‘I’ll tell you later.’ I mumbled.

‘Fine! Then I’ll tell you later what Connor really said to me last night!’ she stuck out her tongue and I huffed babyishly. I went through the rest of the day on high spirits, but when the final bell rang, my stomach clenched.

I couldn’t believe I was actually going to expose another side of me to Alana. One I only found out about last night.

On the way home, I was really tense and quiet. The only thing I said, when Alana asked what I wanted to show her, was, ‘Please don’t hate me.’ I was so scared that she would go and tell everyone after seeing my tail. What if she never spoke to me again?

Alana came to the door not long after I’d changed into a scruffy outfit of old jeans and a t-shirt, swimsuit hidden underneath. I thanked all my lucky stars when we found that the beach was deserted. I picked a good spot behind some large rocks to strip down to my swimsuit.

‘What the hell?’ Alana folded her arms and raised an eyebrow.

‘Once you see this, you can run away or call me a freak, but I’m begging you not to tell ANYONE!’ I shivered, even though it was warm. She just nodded and told me to hurry up. Running into the water, I ducked under and felt the change take place.

Surfacing, I smile when I saw the metallic gleam of my tail as it swished through the water. I went as close to shore as I could and planted my hands in the sand to steady myself.

Alana’s mouth was open. Her gaze locked on my tail. She tried to speak, but nothing came out. Rubbing her eyes, she tried again, ‘You’re a.. a.. a mer… mer.. A mermaid?’ she sank to the ground as though she’d deflated. Dragging myself out the water and into the shadows of the big rocks, I collapsed next to her.

‘But, how?’ She mouthed in astonishment.

I shrugged, ‘You wanna call me a freak and run away screaming?’ I propped myself up onto my elbows and blinked against the sun.

‘Anything but that!’ she laughed and reached over to hug me, ‘And I’m definitely not gonna tell anyone. You mark my words!’

‘Thanks, AJ! You’re the best.’ I’m so lucky to have met Alana when I moved here. It’s like she didn’t have a mean bone in her body. Well, maybe one or two, but those were for Benna Willoughby. She’s the schools Queen Bee. A pure and utter bitch, she’d hated me since the very since first time we’d spoken. She’d made it her goal in life to make mine a misery. Too bad it never works.

If Benna even got the slightest hint of what I looked like right now, half of Australia would know by the end of the day. The thing that annoyed me most was the fact that she liked Connor. Everybody knew it and she made it obvious. The strange thing is, they would be so good together. They would look perfect.

I think I’m going to slap myself. Why did I just say that the love of my life and my mortal enemy would be good together?

‘I know.’ Alana laughed, ‘Your life is like a fairytale or a fantasy movie.’

‘That’s why this all seems so unrealistic!’

‘But this is reality.’ she reminded me. Nodding, I absentmindedly flicked my tail around. Then, I heard people talking. My ears pricked. It sounded like they were just on the other side of this rock. It was so clear.

Peering round the rock warily, I seen Benna and her possy. They were nowhere near the rock we were hiding behind. I frowned. Among her clique, I could recognise the four that were here right now. Benna, Sally, Rose and Zara. They were probably working on their tan before the disco.

‘What you looking at, Trixie?’ Alana prodded my back.

‘Benna.’ I murmured venomously. Alana squinted her eyes.

‘How can you see that far?’

‘I don’t know. Maybe it’s part of the mermaid thing?’ I shrugged. For a tiny moment, I marvelled in the fact that I had enhanced senses. This could come in handy.

Alana crouched next to me, ‘We’re gonna need to get you away from here, Trixie.’ Worry etched into her face.

‘Where will I go? I’ve never been here before!’ I bit my lip to stop my voice getting louder with anxiety.

‘See that rock over there?’ she pointed to a boulder in the sea not far from shore. I nodded.

‘Hide behind there until I get back, okay?’ she picked up my clothes, ‘I’m going to dump these at the place we’re going.’ then she motioned for me to go. But before I could get under the water, a voice called my name. It wasn’t Alana.

Turning, I saw Benna standing ankle deep in the water. Making sure my tail wasn’t visible, I yelled back, ‘What?’

‘Come here!’ she put her hands on her hips and expected me to obey. Stuff her. Shaking my head, I went under the water and clumsily made my way over to the rock. Keeping a firm grip on it, I ducked under the waves and opened my eyes, taking in this new underwater world around me. Everything was so much clearer, like wearing goggles. I could really get used to having my eyesight intensified by ten. Or maybe one hundred.

With one hand, I smoothed my hair back as I resurfaced. I clung to the rock for what felt like hours. Probably because Benna and the Wannabes kept looking in my direction . It didn’t help that I could hear everything they were saying about me.

I was so relieved when I seen Alana running across the beach with what looked like a scuba mask in her hand, jet black hair streaming out behind her like a cape. Completely blanking Benna and her hurtful comments, she put on the mask and swam over.

Alana explained when I asked where we were going, ‘If you follow that row of rocks, you get to an opening. Nobody goes there because nobody knows it’s there. I dropped off a towel and your clothes.’

‘How did you get there?’

‘It’s just over the fence out our back gardens. Jump it, go down a hill, over a little wall and you’re there. it’s well hidden.’ Alana said it matter-of-factly. I never knew that.

Dipping under, I decided to make a big splash by smacking my fins down hard. Alana laughed as she got soaked by my mini-wave. I was having a little difficulty swimming at first, but then I got the hang of it.

The feeling was sensational. Well and truly. I could’ve happily kept going, but Alana surged above the waves when she recognised the place. I reluctantly followed. When we were on land again, I was bombarded with questions.

‘So this is why you were weird last night?’

‘Yes.’

‘And why you were weird earlier?’

‘Uh-Huh.’

‘And why you weren’t swimming today?’

‘Yup.’

‘Wow.’ Alana sighed. Best friends with a mermaid? Weird, but wonderful in a strange way.

‘So what did Connor really say to you last night?’ using the towel, I began drying my tail. I watched as Alana smiled and looked up at the sky.

‘He said he did fancy you. Like crazy. But he didn’t know if you would like him back since you guys don’t always speak.’

My jaw dropped. Connor Silverman fancied me. Me. Trixie Smith. It was too good to be true. There was a long, comfortable silence. I broke it by giving a little poof.

‘I won’t ever get sick of that.’ Alana laughed and jumped up, ‘Come on. We better get ready for the disco. This could be the best night of your life.’

I couldn’t help smiling as she pulled me to my feet. I quickly slipped back into my clothes Alana had laid next to the towel and followed her up the hill.

Everything seemed to be going perfect. Well, almost everything.

TreeHugger12 says...

I liked this better than the first. You really are getting better. Could you PM me when you upload the third?

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:55 pm
crescent wrote a review...

Hi. It's me again. I like the idea. Romance and mermaids. I don't want to be harsh, but here are some of the nitpicks I found.

I'm not sure if your allowed to use ' for dialogue, but the way I've been taught, we use ".

Hopefully she wouldn’t know it was because I was trying to think of something to tell her. Hopefully she would think it’s because I was sorry.

There should be commas after hopefully.

I could change that, ‘Come in for me after school. I have something to show you. I’m not sure how you’re gonna take it.’ I sighed in relief as she nodded and went, ‘I can handle it.’ and then we carried on in peace, like we never even had that conversation.

"I could change that," Switch comma for a period. Capitalize "and".

I would write it like this: We arrived about ten minutes before the bell, so we met up with our friends at the steps leading up to the main doors of the school, Kelly, Donna, and Milly. Kelly and Milly hall were twins, totally identical. Milly was more like me, a bit fierce, not girly and quite feisty. Whereas Kelly was a total drama queen, along with her best friend Donna Wilson. They always had all the gossip on everything and everyone.

Donna would obviously know anything about Connor since Donna’s brother was part of his little group.

Usually, when people use "little", it's to intimidate someone or out of hate. Take out "little". You can also substitute group with "clique"

What do you mean by Connor is "fine"?
"it's" should be "its".

"she smirked and I knew she was hiding something from me." is a compund sentence, rewrite it like this: She smirked, and I knew she was hiding something from me.
After looking into his eyes, I felt warm, fuzzy and a bit dizzy.

Comma after fuzzy please.

Fine! Then I’ll tell you later what Connor really said to me last night!’ she stuck out her tongue and I huffed babyishly.

Capitalize "she".

She’s the schools Queen Bee.

Should be "school's".

She’d made it her goal in life to make mine a misery. Too bad it never works.

She’d made it her goal in life to make mine a misery, too bad it never worked.

Peering round the rock warily, I seen Benna and her possy.

Saw.

Among her clique, I could recognise the four that were here right now. Benna, Sally, Rose and Zara.

Among her clique, I could recognise the four that were here right now, Benna, Sally, Rose, and Zara. or :Benna, Sally, Rose, and Zara.

'Hide behind there until I get back, okay?’ she picked up my clothes, ‘I’m going to dump these at the place we’re going.’ then she motioned for me to go. But before I could get under the water, a voice called my name. It wasn’t Alana.

'Hide behind there until I get back. Okay?’ She picked up my clothes. ‘I’m going to dump these at the place we’re going.’ Then, she motioned for me to go. But before I could get under the water, a voice called my name. It wasn’t Alana.

I was so relieved when I seen Alana running across the beach with what looked like a scuba mask in her hand, jet black hair streaming out behind her like a cape.

Saw, not seen. Divide this sentence into two to make it flow better, its a bit bulky. This would be better: I was so relieved when I saw Alana running across the beach with what looked like a scuba mask in her hand. Her jet black hair was streaming out behind her like a cape.

Keep on writing :).

Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:10 pm
KaylaLovesATL_x says...

Thank You Guys :)
I'll put it up as soon as I can :)

x Mikayla x

Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:34 pm
whyIsItAlwaysMe wrote a review...

:O i loved this too!
it's really good, honestly, i mean everything seemed to be pretty good as far as i could tell.
But, Rachel will have to fight me to read the next part when it's on here :D
I loved the detail, and the thoughts and feeelings :)
Overall i loved it !

Laura
xxx

Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:11 pm
VulpixLover wrote a review...

I loved it!
I know I've already read it but everytime I read it, it seems to get better. :)
I liked how you ended it - real cliffhanger!
I will be first in line to read the next part when you get it up, :D
I liked how you described the sensation of being underwater as a mermaid. You made it sound so real!
Can't wait to read more!

~Rachel

I don’t really say anything quotable. Or anything at all on most days. I just quietly listen.
— KateHardy