Charity's Views (Temp. Title)

by KayKel16

Disclaimer:

This is something I've gotten an idea for. It's something I've never really wrote before, back in the 1880's in third person. It's good-ish so far, but I need opinions. It's not completed, just so you know. I just wanted to be critiqued about the first half. Just remember the chapter isn't fully complete. Let me know about what's given please!

*

Charity stood at the top of the lighthouse staring down at the water that was a deep blue with white waves that crashed along with it. This place is amazing, she thought. The truth was she had never been to a place this majestic in all her nine years. Her mother and father thought minor things like these were useless, nothing more than space collected on the Earth. Of course she didn’t believe them; she thought everything majestic as this was happened to be magic. Something she’s known for all her life, minuscule happenings that were thought of to be of the norm weren’t in her eyes. She looked about the sea and its deep color once more and decided it was time for her to leave. How she came to this place was beyond what her parents would think reasonable. She caught the bus on her own and came down to the ocean’s lighthouse unannounced with no one to accompany her. Lonely it must feel, with no one to share what she called majestic. She winds around the entire tower and walks slowly down its circular stairwell. She starts for the bus stop and waits an hour for the bus to come. When it arrives, she steps upon it and sits down at the window seat. She watches as the beach, the city, and the people pass in a steady blur. In a moments time she arrived back at the familiar white house with green shudders and a wraparound porch. Her mother was swinging on the white swing back and forth humming to herself. She expects to get a full blown scolding, but when her mother appears calm and collected she senses something must be wrong.

“Charity, where in God’s creation have you been?” She takes in her mother’s green eyes that look like candy mints on a cold day and the blond hair that waves in a pattern Charity has never seen in her entire life.

“Mother, I’ve been at the lighthouse. You should see how majestic it was!” There’s excitement building up inside her and she can’t very well contain it.

“At that nonsensical monument?” Her mother stated. She would never fully understand her daughter and how she sees things in a different matter from the rest of her family.

“It’s not nonsensical. It’s majestic. Now if you excuse me, I’d like to go and have a snack.” She leans closer to her mother and gives her a slight peck on the cheek.

She walks into the foyer to find her smaller brother, Thomas, tending to his shoes with so such succeeding happening. His shoelaces lay limp around the leather shoe. Thomas was Charity’s younger brother who strived at the age of four and a half.

“Oh, Thomas, do you need help?” She sits down on the bench nearly four feet from her brother and waits as he fumbles with his laces once more then giving up.

“Please do.” She leans down toward his shoe and motions for him to set it upon her knee. She remembers when she was his age just learning how to tie her own shoes. Thomas was growing more inpatient while she thought of distant memories; she hastily finished.

“There you go, little one. Remember to tell mother where you are going.” She gets up and walks over to the dining area to find her father working on theories of law and medicine. Charity and Thomas’s father was a professor at the local college that was opened just on August 1880.

“Good afternoon, Papa.” She greets him steadily yet he doesn’t stir. She decides upon giving him a kiss on the head and continuing on towards the kitchen. She finds Marla, the child caretaker, preparing just what she was hungering for; apple pie. Charity’s mood brightened profusely.

“Marla!” The young girl ran to the woman with flour covered hands and gave her a comforting tighten and let go quickly after.

“Well, good afternoon Miss Charity.” Marla continues to rolling out dough for the crust of the pastry, and Charity sought after to help.

“May I peel the apples, Mar-mar?” Mar-mar was the name given to Marla by the Thomas when he was only two and could scarcely pronounce the genuine name, so he had stuck with Mar-mar; and ever since then, Marla had become worn to the nickname.

“Of course, sweetheart.” Marla pulls up a stepping stool not one foot from where she stood and motioned to the apples that lay in a bowl sparsely sitting alone near the stove.

“I know what to do!” and with that, Charity walks upon the stepping stool and took the fruit peeler that lay directly in front of her. Grabbing an apple, she dutiful made spirals of peel that fell silently upon the cutting board.

“Very good,” Marla watched smugly as the child she took care of most of the occasion cultured a bit from her.

“Thank you,” Moments passed and she completed the task of peeling the apples, and Charity had to now work upon her studies for an hour with the instructor.

Giving Marla a peck on the cheek, she turned to go wait in the study, messing with her dress that billowed in a light green colour. A few moments later, a man in his late fifties with wavy brown hair coupled back in a hair tie and wrinkles that counted for his age walked in and sat across from her.

“Afternoon Miss Charity,” Mr. Jameson started pulling papers of different shades with script and numbers scrawled on them. Looks like arithmetic this time around, Charity thought. If it weren’t for Mr. Jameson constructing her daily instruction to be pleasurable, she would extreme dislike arithmetic.

“Afternoon, Sir.”

“Today, we are going to work with arithmetic,” Charity winced knowing she was accurate about the whole ordeal. She didn’t think arithmetic had any magic united in. She gave a quick harrumph.

“Now, now, Charity.” She calmed her stature.

Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:54 pm

Hi! I'm Knight Hardy here on a mission to ensure that all works on YWS has at least two reviews. You will probably never see this but....Imma do this anyway.

First Impression: This sounds like a pretty cool start to a novel. Charity seems like a really nice character and this whole family feels quite realistic. I would love to continue reading from here and I think I indeed will provided of course that you have posted more parts of this somewhere on the site.

Well that was a lovely start...a beautiful little setting that was created here and a pretty decent way to introduce our main character. The one glaring problem is that size of that thing. You really don't want to be starting with a paragraph that massive because that can really turn people away from reading this. Its not the catchiest either so you might want to condense that or split that up a little. The opening lines would work fine at getting attention at least but with this huge chunk even that may not happen.

Ahh the classic protagonist. Thinking differently form everyone else.

That's a decent introduction to Thomas right there...there's also a weird sentence there but since that and several others were already pointed out down below I'll sip those errors.

Wow that was a pretty sweet little brother sister moment. A wonderful way to introduce the kind of relationship that they share.

Ahh apple pie...very appropriate reaction from Charity.

Aww...another lovely touch to show how much these people know each other. It these little things that really sell a story and how real it is so wonderful job there.

Okay seems standard enough there.

That's the one thing I would disagree with...arithmetic absolutely has a magic of its own.

Overall: Overall this seems like a pretty cool idea and I hope you continued on with it because it would have made for a pretty good book. I only had the couple of things to point out, other than that the start was great!

Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:49 pm
KayKel16 says...

Throughout the writiing, I was thinking 'Wait were there even busses back then?' the whole time. I really should research some stuff before moving on.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:19 pm
KerushiiAi wrote a review...

Hello! So this is half of the story? Or just half the first chapter?
All the same, it was good, but there are a few things I would fix.

Something she’s known for all her life, minuscule happenings that were thought of to be of the norm weren’t in her eyes.
The bolded "of" can be removed.

She caught the bus on her own...She starts for the bus stop and waits an hour for the bus to come.
I'm not really sure about this one, but I thought I'd point it out just in case; did they have buses back then? From reading the first paragraph, it seems like it's set in modern-day, especially with the bus reference. If you've already researched to see if they have buses, then that's fine, but if not then it's something to look into.

In a moments time she arrived back at the familiar white house with green shudders and a wraparound porch.
You just forgot the apostrophe in "moment's"

...and the blond hair that waves in a pattern Charity has never seen in her entire life.
Somehow, this makes it sound as though she's never seen her mother's hair before, so maybe say that it's a pattern she's never seen anywhere else? It just sounds a little odd.

You should see how majestic it was!”
You changed verb tenses in this sentence, so it sounds a little illogical. You could change it to like "You should've seen how majestic it was!" Or, "You should see how majestic it is!" Either one works fine.

“It’s not nonsensical. It’s majestic. Now if you excuse me, I’d like to go and have a snack.”
I know that it's part of the speech, but you use "majestic" an awful lot. Try mixing it up with synonyms like "magical" "breathtaking" things like that.

She walks into the foyer to find her smaller brother, Thomas, tending to his shoes with so such succeeding happening.
For some reason, the end of this sentence doesn't really seem that clear to me...it's the "so" that throws me off. That might be a typo though...it happens. :P

Thomas was Charity’s younger brother who strived at the age of four and a half.
What do you mean by he "strived at the age of four and a half?"

She sits down on the bench nearly four feet from her brother and waits as he fumbles with his laces once more then giving up.
I would change "then" to "before" but I guess it doesn't matter that much. Just flows smoother.
Also, when she's tying his shoe, you say that he's getting impatient, but you accidentally put "inpatient."

Charity and Thomas’s father was a professor at the local college that was opened just on August 1880.
I would put that was newly opened on August 1880 or something like that, just to clarify that that's still what year it is. Just add "newly" instead of "just" as it gets the point across better.

She finds Marla, the child caretaker...
I'm not sure what they called them exactly, but I know "nurse maid" was used at some point...this might be fine, but you might want to research and check to make sure.

The young girl ran to the woman with flour covered hands and gave her a comforting tighten and let go quickly after.
The end part of the sentence has a bit of verb confusion. "...gave her a comforting tighten and let go quickly after." Just make sure you pick one verb tense for each sentence, but you can go with any of the ones in here, the important part is consistency.

Marla continues to rolling out dough for the...
This usually happens when you only rewrite part of a sentence; you left "rolling" in "ing" form, whereas it should just be "roll."

Mar-mar was the name given to Marla by the Thomas when he...
Take out the bolded "the."

...motioned to the apples that lay in a bowl sparsely sitting alone near the stove.
Hmmm...the word "sparsely" is bothering me for some reason...you can leave it in if you want, but I'd change its position in the sentence...or maybe ...motioned to the apples lying sparsely in a bowl that sat alone by the stove. Something like that.

“I know what to do!” and with that...
The "a" in "and" should be capitalized as this is a new sentence.

Grabbing an apple, she dutiful made spirals of peel that fell silently upon the cutting board.
Should be "dutifully."

Personally, I associate smugness with contempt, or something, so I'd change that to like watched with pride or simply "proudly," just because I think it would fit better.

“Thank you,” Moments passed and she completed the task of peeling the apples
There should be a period after "Thank you."

...she would extreme dislike arithmetic.
This should be "extremely."

Well, that was fun ;)
Overall, it was good. Most of your mistakes are purely grammatical, so it's not a huge deal. A little while ago, I wrote a short story set in 1920's Alabama, so I know how it's difficult to know if you're making your characters speak correctly, or if you're making them use technology that won't be invented for another 20 years. I had to do some research to make it as accurate as possible, and I recommend you do the same, just to make it more believable, you know? Other than the bus reference, I think you did pretty well, but for future reference, just make sure to check that kind of stuff before you get too far to undo it...
One of the most fun parts for me was finding silly slang words for them to use ;)

Good start! I look forward to reading more, and good luck (because I know historical fiction isn't easy ;) )

I don't think so alliyah, but don't quote me on that.
— TheBlueCat