Night Whispers-Part 2

by EverLight

Warning: There is a little bit of violence in here-nothing major like for example blood shed. I don't mention that. 

After Alanza left me, I spent many days roaming the streets doing nothing, numb with pain. I'd often walk across the rooftops on those ancient paths I once walked with Alanza. I remember thinking to the skies why do things like this always happen to me!! Would I always be scorned? Would I always be tossed aside? Would I always be nothing? Forget my vow. Something kept me from fulfilling it a deep sense of guilt in the depths of my heart that told me-Who do you think you are? I didn’t have a clue as to who I was. I don't know who I think I am. I was never Maisy's kitten. I was never anyone's great joy. I could barely even piece together how I thought of myself. My restless thoughts though were not my biggest problem. My biggest problem were the city roughs. I called them city scourges. These cats were tough, lean and cruel. There favorite thing to do was torment the weaker cats. They would often be seen holding down a victim while they tortured the poor cat. I admired them somehow. Maybe it was because they weren't afraid of anything. They were strong. I was jealous of them for that, I that strength for my own. When they were on a torture mission I would follow them, unseen across the rooftops. I decided I would join them. They didn’t welcome me at first, with the exception of the leader. He said if I was to join them I must prove that I could torture without flinching, to do that I had to kill. I was outraged. Why should I do that? There had to be ways I could prove myself without violence! But he said there wasn't. This was the only way. A cold ice came into my heart, as I agreed to it. He chose the most useless member of his group for my victim. Without a trace of fear or regret I unsheathed my claws sliced them across the cats belly and it was over. A thrill came through me as I did so. I knew with a cold menacing feeling in my heart that I had found my place. The leader was pleased. And so began my path as a villain. 

To be continued . . . 

Radrook wrote a review...

Radrook here a once again to offer some suggestions.
Apologies if i offend. It isn’t my intention.
Please feel full free to cast aside all things you deem not helpful.
But if you do be sure its true by being extra careful.

That having been said:

Thanks for sharing this story about a mentally disturbed cat that can reason as humans do and who needs to belong. The story speaks of an initiation ritual which is common to some gangs. Some require that the initiate subject himself to a beating by other gag members in order to demonstrate toughness. Others demand that the person inflict damage on someone else. Still others might as for a murder. But the latter are far more rare since that can lead to prison and maybe the death sentence.

A mysterious Aklanza is mentioned and the speaker tells us that she no longer is with him and that he feels scorned. A Maisey is mentioned and identified as the protagonist cat’s former owner. In short this was once a house cat raised there as a kitten who suddenly wound up on the street. The reason isn’t revealed, only that he lost his companion and now seeks membersip within a group of violent cats and finally gets it ween he kills.

I don’t find it exceedingly violent since the the evisceration isn’t described in all its gory details.

To be honest, I thought that you were using the term “cat” in the same way that people today use the word “dude”. So I at first I understood it as an indication of the time period that this is taking place and the term “cat” was in vogue.

But then as I kept reading and claws were mentioned, I realized that the story is referring to literal cats who can reason.

EverLight says...

Glad you liked this! I reccomend reading the first part to this. It'll explain the story behind Maisy and Alanza.

Boluk wrote a review...

My, my my this is short but sweet. Like a tiny ice cream with all the flavors. Simply put you tugged at my heartstrings at the end and I remember gravely wanting Katness to not choose the path of evil but the second he sliced the cat's belly open I remember feeling a grave moment of despair an anxiety. I remember wanting and waiting for the next chapter because In my eyes there was a tiny sliver of hope that he would change. Was I right? Was I wrong? Only time may find out the answer to that question but for now I remain on the edge filled with dread. Although I do wish we could have gotten a bit more gory description of the cat's death. so far this seems to be pretty good. If you happened to remember the batman animated series from the nineties you might remember there was this one episode were the joker traced someone down and forced them to make a promise to help him in the future. Years passed and eventually the guy gets a call from joker to basically act as bait so he can capture and kill batman. This spawns a sequence of events that lead to the guy getting so fed up with the joker that he outright punches him In the gut and threatens to shoot him. Joker pleads for his life and says: "Sorry Joker I've just had one bad day" before shooting him with what is revealed to be a confetti gun. That episode instantly went into my head when I heard this story. It only takes one bad day before all hell breaks lose.
Conclusion: overall this story is depressing which is good as I'm guessing that was the purpose. This story also has a lot of heart put into it along with effort, I said this in the past but you really do seem to like giving cats human characteristics which I didn't imagine I would love until now.

Boluk out!

EverLight says...

Thanks for the review! . . .whew yes I like giving cats human charicerisitics. It adds a lot I think.

EverLight says...

I have watched a little bit of that show. But not through it.

EverLight says...

By the way the main characters name is NightKing.

EverLight says...

Meet me in Montauk.
— Charlie Kaufman