Home » Literary works » Other » Realistic

12+

Dear Younger Me

by Katnes

Dear Younger Me,

Writing this is like corresponding with the ghost of my evil. You were an utter fool. By hanging out with corrupt people, and making sinful choices you were only going to get broken. And why did you make those decisions? Because you wanted the glory, the fame, and the attention of your associates. But no one was going to be friends with, let alone love, a temperamental wishy-washy. Then again, you were such a lone wolf, wanting the adoration of others so badly yet always standing aloof when someone cared for you, your emotions deep under your skin, forever leaking out as fury.

Man, when I was you my life was like a duel of fates-Me dueling the fate of one mistake after another. They were bound to explode into a mess at some point. But then, that's the only way you ever learned-to learn too never touch fire you had to get burned to a crisp. But you knew what would happen when you jumped into the flames. Because of that I never want to be you again. Still, by the same stroke of the pen, there are some things about you I wish I still had. Like the fact that you had no adult culpabilities to take away your carefree spirit, you were just starting to spread your wings into grown-up responsibility after all.

I must say, it's shocking how fast life's troubles settle in, and how quickly they change a person. It seems like it's been a millennium since I've been you but really it's only been a few years, and I can't make out what made you change. Maybe there's something about your struggles that changed you. Or maybe it was the hand of God, for it's a miracle I am still here today.

If I could travel back in time and speak too you I wouldn't warn you of the danger you were in, or help you with your problems connecting with other people. I'd say thanks for making faulty decisions because they've made me a better, wiser, human today.

So, younger me, I'll say it now-thank you for the lessons you've taught me. 

From the heart,

Your Older Self

Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:03 pm
GigiNicole17 wrote a review...

Katnes,

I think it was great that you decided to not only write this, but to share it with us all. I often write letters to my older self hoping to read them in the future. I think it's really nice that you' d write this, and that everything you wrote was really in depth feelings.

"Man, when I was you my life was like a duel of fates-Me dueling the fate of one mistake after another. They were bound to explode into a mess at some point. But then, that's the only way you ever learned-to learn too never touch fire you had to get burned to a crisp. But you knew what would happen when you jumped into the flames. Because of that I never want to be you again. Still, by the same stroke of the pen, there are some things about you I wish I still had. Like the fact that you had no adult culpabilities to take away your carefree spirit, you were just starting to spread your wings into grown-up responsibility after all."

This was a very powerful part, it also happens to be my favorite. I think the fact that you used such raw feelings in this. I love the figurative langue you used and the comparisons you made to your life.

I loved this! You did such a great job!! Thanks for sharing :D

~Giginicole :D

Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:58 am
AmadeusW wrote a review...

This is absolutely incredible. I very much appreciate the raw emotion and the mixed feelings in writing a letter to your younger self. I can relate to looking back in the past and feeling both anger, regret, and gratitude for the things I did and the person I was in the past.

For a review, there are just some punctuation/spelling errors that I see, which are easy to remedy. One is that you don't put spaces between the hyphens. Usually, one would type a hyphen in two ways:

This - is one way.

This--is the second way.

In terms of spelling, make sure you remember "to" vs "too". "To" signifies an object making an action in the direction of another object, whereas "too" signifies "also", or in the sense of "too much" or "too little", is used to say something is in excess or in depletion.

This isn't something I see everyday. Not many take the time to write a letter to their younger self, as a way to express their feelings about their past. You did an awesome job writing this.

'Hush, hush!' I whispered; 'people can have many cousins and of all sorts, Miss Cathy, without being any the worse for it; only they needn't keep their company, if they be disagreeable and bad.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights