Absence makes the heart grow fonder

by Virgil

My hand slips into the small space
for finger and thumb
to cooperate.
With safety scissors
I will take apart the road,
tearing through the slab of cement.
The road is a ray
with two arrows at the ends
always searching,but never finding
                                                      anything
                                                                   or anyone.

I draw the outline of a stick figure
on the paper
wondering what it would be like.
To have
no ears or no nose.
No fingers and no toes,
and to be stuck in an eternal smile
like the ones in family pictures.
Craters of white, spread throughout my body,
where crayon tips did not touch.
I look up at the sky,
wondering what it would be like
to be the Almighty Creator.
If there is one.

I build my castle of words
over the stained carpet.
Blocks, neatly arranged
so that the large capital letters
engraved on their sides
are showing.
Spelling out all the curse words I knew
thinking they'd grant me miracles,
but I only cast hexes.

I will build a ladder to the moon,
spare letters reach over the vague boundary line
that separates inner space
and outer space.
The letter 'A' creates the mountain peaks,
while the letter 'H' repeats
until it leans against the surface of the moon.

The daily astrology reading
tells me extensively that I will
feel basic human emotion.

Channeling my heartbeat through my fingertips,
turning the knob on the radio to listen in
over the faint static--
The sound is magnified,
set to a tempo by my eardrums,
that can't keep steady

It makes
cell phone vibrations,
but I don't pick up the phone.
Hey, we haven't really talked lately and I wanted to see if you're doing alright.
I'll leave a message at the beep,
when the monitor beside the hospital bed flat-lines.
Screw you.

But if absence makes the heart grow fonder,
then maybe I should just stay away.

The earth spins fast enough
that I've found my balance in it.
I wonder why I still trip and fall;
maybe it's because gravity
wants me to eat dirt.

Innocence is a pair of horns
disguised as a halo.
But really people are more complex than
horns and halos.

If absence makes the heart grow stronger,
then I'll be playing hooky from school
for the next couple weeks.

Abstinence doesn't make the heart not want it,
contrary to the belief
of my biology teacher.

Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:21 pm
Lumi wrote a review...

You have images, you have themes, you have motifs, but it doesn't come together.

Religion, swear philosophy, relationships, abstinence (which goes back to relationships) and loneliness. Let's call these a brick wall, light post, fence post, back board, rim, and net.

You tried a trick shot by covering all these topics in one poem with less-than-cohesive images and the ball ended up in the fountain where a kid just took a leak.

You need to find a narrative to connect the child images to the hospital narrative, find a way to make the lyrical motif of absence work in your favor.

A sickly child who's been in the hospital. It justifies disbelief in gods. Check.

Hearing parents argue over every freaking thing because a sick kid is the worst stressor. Check swearing.

Abandonment issues due to illness. Relationships. Check.

Abstinence goes back to the above. Check, though I really dislike that stanza all-in-all and it should be burned.

Loneliness is easy.

I think the illness narrative with a light touch is the right path and your missing element because right now you just have disjointed machinery that clanks and grinds in the night. It doesn't work well together, and this is partially my fault in pre-writing because I helped you with individual stanzas as you had them broken apart and out of order. I apologize. But all the same, it needs to be fixed and salvaged. And a lesson needs to be learned.

The one thread is all that's missing. Seriously. Otherwise cut the unnecessary crap and bring some cohesion in. Smooth out the robotic sentence structure in half 1 and make it pleasing to read.

Ty xo

Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:14 am
Mea wrote a review...

Hey, Kaos, I'm here as requested. :)

So, this is what I jokingly call "deep" poetry, and I am neither very good at writing it nor reviewing it, but I'll do my best.

Let's talk about pacing. This piece is ponderous and slow and thoroughly builds an atmosphere of that absence of emotion that is in itself an emotion. The narrator wonders, but wonders idly, sunk deep into that depression where it's hard to care about anything. So, good job conveying that. Really, very well done.

But that means there's very little motion in this piece, and very little tension as well. I didn't feel like the narrator changed throughout the piece, and since the whole point of the tone is lack of movement, with no volatile emotion, I think your length hurts you a bit. There's only so much time the reader can spend in the same emotional state in a poem before it starts to feel a little hammered-in.

On to imagery. I was really liking the childhood images you built up in the first half of the poem, with safety scissors, coloring, and playing with blocks, and I feel like you really lose it in the second half of the poem. The only thing that really connects to it is the part about innocence, but it's rather loose and abstract, not a vivid image. Especially with the 'playing hooky' from school and mentioning biology, you lose the contrast of the probably teenage narrator vs. the childish actions and setting, which to me felt like the narrator was wanting to almost regress back to childhood. And I liked that, and then it vanished for what honestly felt a little less interesting - almost stereotypical teen stuff. Which on the one hand is necessary to actually know what's going on, but it's just not as powerful and in places feels clunky or shoehorned in.

I look up at the sky,
wondering what it would be like
to be the Almighty Creator.
If there is one.

I didn't think these four lines fit. Possible because of the sudden break from the childhood stuff. I'm mostly giving you reader reactions because I don't know how to edit this kind of poetry. :P

Innocence is a pair of horns
disguised as a halo.
But really people are more complex than
horns and halos.

Another stanza I felt didn't fit. It seemed too abstract compared to the rest of the poem, or maybe it's just that the last two lines don't really *say* anything to me.

contrary to the belief
of my biology teacher.

Oh look, a concrete suggestion! The last two lines are just constructed awkwardly, and I'd actually question whether or not you need them at all. The first line seems to me like it would be much stronger to end on, rather than bringing a whole new person into play at the very end of the poem. Even if you don't take it out, try to see if you can make those lines flow a bit better.

Overall, I think this has a solid foundation. You know what you want and you convey it pretty well, and in unique enough ways that it doesn't feel like *another* love poem. There are rough edges, but I'm not the person to say for sure that they're things to work on and not just my personal opinion. I think the biggest thing to work on is cohesion in your imagery - make the reader feel like the beginning and end are connected, and not just by the fact that there's middle.

Hopefully that makes sense! And don't take my word as gospel - I'm not Lumi or anything. :P

Virgil says...

Thank you for the review! It totes made sense, and I noticed most of the things you brought up while mentioning them soo c:

Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordy evidence of the fact.
— George Eliot